test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DPS/OFFHEALS/DEBUFF/BUFF Discussion

grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
edited June 2013 in The Temple
Hey guys,

I have 4 60's one of which is a cleric. I primarily play with my wife and a few other real life friends and my wife always plays the Main healer cleric.

I have been turning my cleric into an offheal/dps machine slowly but surely and wanted to get a conversation started on what works and what doesn't in regards to bringing the most to your team when you dont have to worry about being an astral shield machine.

I have successfully ran as the only healer in Epic CC(was a pug) as dps spec without using AS and beat it without a single death, and i happened to be able to out dps a (crappy im sure) Mage.

I am trying to max Crit/Ap, and generally run with SB, FF, Daunting light.

Has anyone tried to run a semi DPS/Buff bot role?

I feel like there is great potential as a backup healer to bring a huge DPS buff to the group.

This is the current build http://nwcalc.com/dc?b=cn4:2hwcg:5m9s,1u0x31v:6z551:60000:6z000&h=1

Although im thinking that a build incorporating a cat/ston + templars domain (+30% armor pen) would be amazing with Linked spirit
Post edited by grifterec on

Comments

• grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    I failed to mention, the 4 piece bonus from prophet + spellplague is central to being a debuff bot
  • lerapisolerapiso Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2013
    Since the nerf of plague fire, it's less beneficial for the party, but support/damage DC works really well,

I run somethig like that on my alt : http://nwcalc.com/dc?b=cn4:2hwcg:5m9s,12l9305:6uzzv:60000:60000&h=0

Dont take Templar Domain, It's a waste, It's a 5sec procc on a 60sec CD, the DP is more important imo.

If there is a Healer DC in the group :
    Encounter :
    - Daunting Light
    - Divine Glow
    - Searing light for trash, Prophecy of Doom for boss (FF and AS are good healing option if the main Healer suck)
    At will :
    - Lance of Faith
    - Brand of the Sun
    Passive :
    - Healer's Lore
    - Terrifying Insight (or something else if you want to go less offensive)
    Daily :
    - DA : if your Healer can't handle solo
    - HG : if your Healer use DA
    - Flame Strike/Hammer otherwise.

Solo DC:
    Encounter :
    - Daunting Light (or SB)
    - Divine Glow (or FF)
    - AS
    At will :
    - Lance of Faith
    - Astral Seal
    Passive :
    - Healer's Lore
    - Foresight

You need the T1 set with the stackable defense debuff (forgot the name), it's +30% damage for your group :)
    Try to stack 2400+ armor pen.

With all your buff/debuff, your party will love you :o
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Didnt realize there was a 60second cooldown, (is this fact)

And yeah going for the boots currently, as they somehow are still BOP
    edited June 2013
    grifterec wrote: »
    Didnt realize there was a 60second cooldown, (is this fact)

And yeah going for the boots currently, as they somehow are still BOP

I still have my spec with the feat, tested on dummies, the uptime is nearly 0. Idk, I said 60secs, but in reality, sometime it's way more than that, weird.

GL for the boots :)
    edited June 2013
    I like the idea of using Prophecy of doom (mostly for the debuff) but ive been reading elsewhere it is broken?
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, Templars has been way more than a minute, at least when I tested it. Good in theory, but it has to be broken currently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I like the idea of using Prophecy of doom (mostly for the debuff) but ive been reading elsewhere it is broken?

The patch fixed the debuff, and for the reset CD and AP gain, i don't really know, as you said, i just take this skill for the debuff, when you can make your party deal an average +60% damage on boss, without HG, i think it's the right way to use this skill as a damage/debuffer/support/whatyouwant DC
    edited June 2013
    I hate that they fixed the other BOP boots and not this set.. wtf
  • landragoonlandragoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lucky you, having a Healing-focused Cleric to play along. I've had a very hard time finding groups to actually use my buff/debuff Cleric - people usually kick me straight away, no questions asked. Too bad the effect all our stuff has on the group doesn't show anywhere...

I guess my build is little more hybrid than yours - I don't have PoD (usually run Break the Spirit to debuff boss damage instead, or Forgemaster's Flame if the "main" DC doesn't use it), and run Holy Fervor (does Foresight apply from Repurpose Soul heals and does it stack?) since my feat distribution is 15-0-16 rather than being fully commited to Virtuous. Hence, I also usually run Astral Seal alongside Brand of the Sun for more debuffing in boss fights.
    And you absolutely have to use Divine Glow. This ability makes or breaks the whole idea of a support DPS Cleric

How does Cycle of Change work for you. How do you get it to proc? Does it proc of Repurpose Soul? How's the uptime on Disciple of Divine Lore?
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cycle of change only procs off of healing encounters such as sun burst, which is the only viable encounter to use to proc it in a dps spec. It should proc off of damage crits if it is going to be consumed. Which reminds me, currently it isn't consumed. I suspect it isn't increasing damage either though, but can not confirm.

Disciple of divine lore has good up time currently, though sometimes the first proc takes a good amount of time. After that first proc, it stays up most of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I ran a few dungeons last night and re-specced, here are some thoughts.

Templars domain indeed has an internal cooldown, which actually is great. Since additional points only increase the proc chance (all ranks are 30% + APEN) then this frees up 4 points, for the same benefit. tested before and after respec (same uptime, about once per minute) regardless

Cycle of change, after a bunch of playing around doesnt seem worth it. (Best case its 10% damage to a single encounter)

So since i wasnt married to the captstone talent, i played around with Divine Lore, also doesnt seem Up enough to warrant using.

But what IS up enough to warrant using for this playstyle is Linked Spirit. So strong for a buffer.
    edited June 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    Cycle of change only procs off of healing encounters such as sun burst, which is the only viable encounter to use to proc it in a dps spec. It should proc off of damage crits if it is going to be consumed. Which reminds me, currently it isn't consumed. I suspect it isn't increasing damage either though, but can not confirm.

Disciple of divine lore has good up time currently, though sometimes the first proc takes a good amount of time. After that first proc, it stays up most of the time.

You can get Cycle of Change by Astral Seal, but you've to sacrifice brand of the sun, not worth if you want to deal damage. IDK this feat is kinda Meh, it should procc on repurpose soul.
    Templars domain indeed has an internal cooldown, which actually is great. Since additional points only increase the proc chance (all ranks are 30% + APEN) then this frees up 4 points, for the same benefit. tested before and after respec (same uptime, about once per minute) regardless

Nice, 1/5 seems to be the best choice.
    Cycle of change, after a bunch of playing around doesnt seem worth it. (Best case its 10% damage to a single encounter)

The buff doesnt fade after an encounter, but it's still not good.
    So since i wasnt married to the captstone talent, i played around with Divine Lore, also doesnt seem Up enough to warrant using.

Meh ? I have a nearly 100% uptime on this feat :eek:
    edited June 2013
    I feel you lerapiso! If I wanted to go straight dps then I think sticking the points back into the end of the tree would be worth it. But I'm kind of digging the points into linked spirit, the amount of uptime from that, when I'm going to be using star burst anyways just seems too good.
  • faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have a hybrid heal and dps spec on my cleric. Recently I have been searching a way of removing astral shield from my encounter bar because everyone has become so reliant on it.

I'm specced into the top paragon tree.

Originally what I did was
    at wills:
    -brand of the sun
    -Astral seal (swap for lance of faith when solo)

Encounters:
    -Astral shield <- swapped this for sunburst and was able to heal and dps quite well.
    -Forgemaster's flame
    -Daunting light

dailies:
    -Hammer of fate
    -Flamestrike

class features:
    -prophetic action
    -terrifying insight

what I have been experimenting with is changing around my encounter bar in an attempt to eliminate Astral Shield:

-Healing word, if this skill was affected by recovery it would be a great skill, maine issue is that you run out of charges or need to use the divine version. If this was affected by recovery and easier to target it would be a good skill. Also since this skill applies regeneration not healing it heals me nicely as well (albeit over time).

-Sunburst, Great for gaining action points, if it's heal and damage scaled well to end game it would be quite good. Best use is action point gain and clearing trash.

-Astral Shield, Nice damage debuff and decent heal for party members. Terrible for the caster due to righteousness. When I was using it after the patch I preferred the none divine version and used forgemaster's flame for healing because it was far superior. Been trying to remove this from my encounter bar as people have become so reliant on it they forgot how to dodge.

-Forgemaster's flame, This is an amazing heal and it also does damage when used in devine mode. A solid skill for damage and healing alike.

-Divine Glow, not alot of damage but a nice debuff. I found somewhat useful but not interesting but not enough to put more then 1 point into it

-Break the Spirit, Great debuff for uses on a boss to help the boss die faster. Haven't experimented mush with this solo.

-Prophecies of Doom, this is a good debuff for bosses and trash alike. if it kills a trash mob during the effect it instantly recharges. If used on a boss (assuming it has some health left) all the damage that was done to it during it's effect is done again. Needs more exploration but a solid skill.

-Daunting light, A must have for any dps spec cleric. This is the highest damage dealing encounter we have.

-Chains of blazing light, nice at low levels, but I feel it doesn't scale well up to the higher levels. Still it is a nice snare but not so useful in PvE. In PvP it is amazing however.

-Bastion of health, useless for a dps spec and terrible for a healing spec. Not worth spending any point into this garbage skill even for prerequisite points.

-Searing light, Nice AoE when used in divine mode, but the damage feels subpar. Will need to investigate it more in solo play.

class features:
    holy fervor can be used instead of prophetic action.

Dailies:
    can replace flamestrike or hammer of fate with hallowed ground if you need a damage and resist buff.

EDIT:
    just solo healed pirate king were one person d/c'd before the end without astral shield. I replaced it with sunburst. In the end I did over 6 mil damage, out damaging the tank (who d/c'd) and the CW. I was about 2 mill ahead of the CW an 4.5 mil ahead of the tank.

EDIT 2:
    just had people rage quit on me because I was beating a CW in dps XD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trinity1980trinity1980 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nice to see other people going for dps cleric! I hate to heal, but I love a cleric class. I still hope that they will give us better options for dps'ing when more paragon paths are released.

I currently use:

At-Will:
    -Brand of the sun
    -Sacred Flame (it fills your divinity bar way faster than Lance)

Passive:
    -Terrifying Insight
    -Prophetic Action

Daily:
    -Hammer of Fate
    -Flame Strike

Encounter (boss fight):
    -Daunting Light (highest damage encounter we have)
    -FF
    -Break the Spirit

Encouner (trash):
    -Daunting Light
    -Divine Glow
    -Sunburst
  • punisoufflepunisouffle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Faerie and Trinity, you both have Prophetic Action. Would you mind share how it's working, how much are you getting targeted in random group? I had tried Sovereign Justice until a day or two after the aggro fix, yet it still ever damningly proc off stray shots from archers.
    And that's one protection every 15 seconds, not 40! /(_^ _ ;) \
    edited June 2013
    Nice to see other people going for dps cleric! I hate to heal, but I love a cleric class. I still hope that they will give us better options for dps'ing when more paragon paths are released.

I currently use:

At-Will:
    -Brand of the sun
    -Sacred Flame (it fills your divinity bar way faster than Lance)

Passive:
    -Terrifying Insight
    -Prophetic Action

Daily:
    -Hammer of Fate
    -Flame Strike

Encounter (boss fight):
    -Daunting Light (highest damage encounter we have)
    -FF
    -Break the Spirit

Encouner (trash):
    -Daunting Light
    -Divine Glow
    -Sunburst

Interesting that you use sacred flame, I found putting astral seal on an enemy and then brand of the sun filled my divinity nicely.

Now I'll admit I do like to heal sometimes, but With the attitude in public parties I'm tempted to stop healing altogether.

How well do you do in bosses with just daunting like as your AoE? This skill setup sounds interesting.

Curious on divine glow. are you using it in divinity mode or normal primarily? I only have 1 point in it, but could put my 2 unspent points into it. It just felt subpar to me for trash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I think that Sacred Flame fills the divinity bar faster than Lance and Astral Seal/BotS. You can test this on a dummy.

The setup for boss fights intends to do as much single target damage as possible (the two dot spells and Daunting Light). Adds can be handled by GWF and CW, I usually don't care about them unless Daunting Light is almost off cooldown when they appear. You also have Flame Strike for that. You can put Brand of the sun on a few bigger adds if you have the time.

When I have enough divinity, I cast Divine Glow in divinity mode. Sunburst in normal mode 'cause I don't want the knockback when nuking trash. Daunting Light always in divinity mode.
    What other option would you suggest for trash? Daunting Light, Sunburst and Divine Glow are all aoe spells. Maybe Chains or Searing Light. Has to be tested. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a group. When other players see you as a cleric in group, they expect that you will heal, which I don't xD
    edited June 2013
    I think that Sacred Flame fills the divinity bar faster than Lance and Astral Seal/BotS. You can test this on a dummy.

The setup for boss fights intends to do as much single target damage as possible (the two dot spells and Daunting Light). Adds can be handled by GWF and CW, I usually don't care about them unless Daunting Light is almost off cooldown when they appear. You also have Flame Strike for that. You can put Brand of the sun on a few bigger adds if you have the time.

When I have enough divinity, I cast Divine Glow in divinity mode. Sunburst in normal mode 'cause I don't want the knockback when nuking trash. Daunting Light always in divinity mode.
    What other option would you suggest for trash? Daunting Light, Sunburst and Divine Glow are all aoe spells. Maybe Chains or Searing Light. Has to be tested. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a group. When other players see you as a cleric in group, they expect that you will heal, which I don't xD

I actually never put points into scared flame. Searing light in divine mode can be good against a pack. and chains of blazing light is decent for trash, but not sure if it's better then what you are using.

What server are you on? I play on mindflayer. I love people with different specs and would play with you if you are on the same server :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    So i finally got the High Prophet Boots to Drop, and respecced (Again).

Im now

0 5 0
    5 0 5 In virtuous
    5 5
    0 5 In Faithful
    0 in righteous

Sacrificing a little bit of damage feats to use a feated foresight. Was able to out dps 2 geared mages (they were ****, but in 9.5k GS gear) and still be the ONLY DC and healer in an Epic Pirate, only 1 Death (me) to falling off a cliff.

Using SB, DL, DG unless more healing is needed then putting on AS/FF if need be.

Dailys are Hammer/Flamestrike and Divine Protection, and i have to admit.., dailies are up a TON as a dps spec.

I am running 4/4 High prophet with crit/arpen jewlery and gems
    Also running with a Stone of Allure.

This is the most fun i have had on my cleric since day 1
    edited June 2013
    I play on Beholder. Hit level 60 just a few days ago. I only wear T1 equip (two pieces of a set, going for two pieces of the other T1 set). Gearscore is under 10k. Also, I don't have a buff pet. Running around with Phoera. There's not much to learn from due to lack of experience ^^

Maybe, this thread can help some of us, although it is no longer updated I think:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?211521-The-original-Virtuous-Cleric-%28DPS-hybrid-build%29
    edited June 2013
    I play on Beholder. Hit level 60 just a few days ago. I only wear T1 equip (two pieces of a set, going for two pieces of the other T1 set). Gearscore is under 10k. Also, I don't have a buff pet. Running around with Phoera. There's not much to learn from due to lack of experience ^^

Maybe, this thread can help some of us, although it is no longer updated I think:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?211521-The-original-Virtuous-Cleric-%28DPS-hybrid-build%29

Aww wish you were on the same shard as me. I hear they are merging them eventually though. If and when the shards do merge, I'd love to see your build in action, it sounds like alot of fun.

As for divine glow I'll have to investigate it further. I didn't put points into sacred flame after respecing because I didn't use it and I found it kind of slow. I speccing into BoS and DL debuffing my enemies in the virtuous tree. I did spec into buffing my soothing light for those low on health but that's about the only thing I specced for healing. The rest was crit, damage, debuff and divinity gain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mm would be nice to be able to switch encounters on the fly to increase the number of available skills like that but I am not good at that lol.
    edited June 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    mm would be nice to be able to switch encounters on the fly to increase the number of available skills like that but I am not good at that lol.

it takes like 8 seconds for a new skill to be active after swapping ;-)
    edited June 2013
    @trinity1980

Ok I tried putting a point in scared flame to test and you are right it does fill the divinity bar faster then BoS. I like it, now I need to respec :/

glad I tried it though with my spare point before needing a respec :)

Oh also another skill I found to be quite useful for dps is prophecies of doom. All damage you put in when it's active is done to the enemy when it expires. And if the enemy is killed while under the effect, it instantly recharges.

Did you put any points into templar's domain? I'm asking since I'm a half elf and don't think I can spare the points away from bountiful fortune :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • punisoufflepunisouffle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use Sacred Flame + Brand of the Sun. I love it since its animation seems to run smoother than lance.

@faerie&amp;trinity
    If I may ask, how good is Prophetic Action working for you. Does it not go waste with harassing shots from those nasty archers?
    ^ ^;
    edited June 2013
    I use Sacred Flame + Brand of the Sun. I love it since its animation seems to run smoother than lance.

@faerie&amp;trinity
    If I may ask, how good is Prophetic Action working for you. Does it not go waste with harassing shots from those nasty archers?
    ^ ^;

I find it saves me more often then not from some 1 shot attacks in dungeons. Sometimes I'll switch it out for holy fervour though.

Also with my damage archers aren't much of an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Put 1 point in tempalrs domain, that is all that is needed and its great
    edited June 2013
    Are you guys saying that Sacred Flame is adding more divinity than a feated lance?
    edited June 2013
    Are you guys saying that Sacred Flame is adding more divinity than a feated lance?
    yes it is. I tested it and I was pleasantly surprised.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]