Install Arc

DPS/OFFHEALS/DEBUFF/BUFF Discussion

13»

Comments

• faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    extol01 wrote: »
    @ faeriestorm
    Would you be able to show your ending stat allocation, and...
    ...also your stat allocation at creation?

I'm new to the game and creating a dps Cleric. Not sure where to place my numbers.
    Thanks a bunch!

Sure thing! Also this is outdated information now. I can post what I use now.

My end stats are 23 wisdom, 18 charisma, 13 intellegence, 10 dexterity, 14 constitution and 19 strength (could be higher but oh well still pretty good). I started with a low strength roll unfortunately as I didn't realize I needed it so much since this was my first character.

I started with 13 strength, 18 wisdom, and 15 charisma (for main stats)

Also for my feats and powers this is what I took:

Heroic feats:
    healing action (2/5), because I have to...
    toughness (3/3), more health can't hurt, it will certainly be easier to stay alive and dps with more health.
    Holy Resolve (3/3), temp health when I'm close to death? yes please.
    Weapon Mastery (3/3), more crit chance? yes please.
    repurposeful soul (3/3), When I crit allies near the target get a heal!
    Battle wise (1/3), less threat can't hurt, nothing else I wanted points in XD
    Bountiful Fortune (4/5), more divine power? More divinity spells! I use divinity a lot, so I need to gain it fast too.
    Templar's Domain (1.5), 5% chance for 30% more armour pen? More damage!!

Paragon feats:

Virtuous Tree:
    Rising Hope (2/5), just 2 points here for best up time.
    Desperate Renewal (4/5), need to get to the next paragon feats (also kindof useful sometimes)
    Power of the Sun (5/5), nice DoT now with debuff!!
    Nimbus of light (5/5), Nice dps now with debuff!!
    Second sight (5/5), for when I use prophecies of doom, bonus heals for allies when it ends.

Righteous Tree:
    Righteous Rage of the Tempus (5/5), more divine power per hit? yes please.
    Ethereal Boon (4/5), Bonus divine power when my encounters come of cooldown? yes please.

6 feat points to put somewhere left but not sure where :/

Powers:
    Astral Seal (2/3), nice skill to use sometimes, but usually not, prerequisite skill
    Lance of Faith (2/3), good but doesn't generate divinity fast enough for my liking.
    Sunburst (3/3), decent trash clearing skill, also useful for when I want a knock back skill.
    Guardian of faith (1/3), prerequisite point
    Healer's Lore (1/3), prerequisite point

Healing word (3/3), actually useful for healing myself because it is regen not HoT. Who would have thought? Useful to use after battles to save on potions.
    Searing light (2/3), decent dps in divine mode, good if you can co-ordinate with a CW's singularity in a group, only put 2 points here.
    Flamestrike (3/3), Only AOE dps daily, Of course a must have for a dps spec.
    Hallowed Ground (3/3), useful in boss fights sometimes to both stay alive longer and do more damage.
    Chains of Blazing Light (3/3), amazing skill, not huge dps but it doesn't generate so much agression as sun burst because it doesn't heal. Also since it snares you can use it yo snare mobs that is chasing someone who is in trouble.

Divine Fortune (2/3), useful if you want to swap in healing skills sometime, also a prerequisite.
    Sacred Flames (3/3), fasted divinity gaining at will.
    Daunting light (3/3), highest dps encounter.
    holy fervour (3/3), useful if you need to gain more action points and don't need prophetic action in.

Forgemaster's flame (3/3), amazing DoT and is a slowing debuff. Also can heal in divinity mode if I feel like it.
    Prophecies of Doom (3/3), damage done during this effect is done again when it ends. If the monster is killed while the effect is active this skill instantly recharges. Good for boss fights.
    Brand of the Sun (3/3), good DoT, apply to beefy mobs.
    Terrifying insight (3/3), a mush have for a dps cleric.
    Break the spirit (3/3), DoT and debuff? Yup I like these types of skills done.
    Divine GLow (3/3), Damage and debuff? Buff in divine mode? AoE skill? Ok got to take this.

Astral Shield (3/3), in case I feel like using a damage resist buff.
    Hammer of Fate (3/3), Highest single target daily (highest damage dealing skill we have!)
    Prophetic action (3/3), Can't count how many times this skill has saved my life. it's a keeper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • extol01extol01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sure thing! Also this is outdated information now. I can post what I use now.

My end stats are 23 wisdom, 18 charisma, 13 intellegence, 10 dexterity, 14 constitution and 19 strength (could be higher but oh well still pretty good). I started with a low strength roll unfortunately as I didn't realize I needed it so much since this was my first character.

I started with 13 strength, 18 wisdom, and 15 charisma (for main stats)

Also for my feats and powers this is what I took:

Heroic feats:
    healing action (2/5), because I have to...
    toughness (3/3), more health can't hurt, it will certainly be easier to stay alive and dps with more health.
    Holy Resolve (3/3), temp health when I'm close to death? yes please.
    Weapon Mastery (3/3), more crit chance? yes please.
    repurposeful soul (3/3), When I crit allies near the target get a heal!
    Battle wise (1/3), less threat can't hurt, nothing else I wanted points in XD
    Bountiful Fortune (4/5), more divine power? More divinity spells! I use divinity a lot, so I need to gain it fast too.
    Templar's Domain (1.5), 5% chance for 30% more armour pen? More damage!!

Paragon feats:

Virtuous Tree:
    Rising Hope (2/5), just 2 points here for best up time.
    Desperate Renewal (4/5), need to get to the next paragon feats (also kindof useful sometimes)
    Power of the Sun (5/5), nice DoT now with debuff!!
    Nimbus of light (5/5), Nice dps now with debuff!!
    Second sight (5/5), for when I use prophecies of doom, bonus heals for allies when it ends.

Righteous Tree:
    Righteous Rage of the Tempus (5/5), more divine power per hit? yes please.
    Ethereal Boon (4/5), Bonus divine power when my encounters come of cooldown? yes please.

6 feat points to put somewhere left but not sure where :/

Powers:
    Astral Seal (2/3), nice skill to use sometimes, but usually not, prerequisite skill
    Lance of Faith (2/3), good but doesn't generate divinity fast enough for my liking.
    Sunburst (3/3), decent trash clearing skill, also useful for when I want a knock back skill.
    Guardian of faith (1/3), prerequisite point
    Healer's Lore (1/3), prerequisite point

Healing word (3/3), actually useful for healing myself because it is regen not HoT. Who would have thought? Useful to use after battles to save on potions.
    Searing light (2/3), decent dps in divine mode, good if you can co-ordinate with a CW's singularity in a group, only put 2 points here.
    Flamestrike (3/3), Only AOE dps daily, Of course a must have for a dps spec.
    Hallowed Ground (3/3), useful in boss fights sometimes to both stay alive longer and do more damage.
    Chains of Blazing Light (3/3), amazing skill, not huge dps but it doesn't generate so much agression as sun burst because it doesn't heal. Also since it snares you can use it yo snare mobs that is chasing someone who is in trouble.

Divine Fortune (2/3), useful if you want to swap in healing skills sometime, also a prerequisite.
    Sacred Flames (3/3), fasted divinity gaining at will.
    Daunting light (3/3), highest dps encounter.
    holy fervour (3/3), useful if you need to gain more action points and don't need prophetic action in.

Forgemaster's flame (3/3), amazing DoT and is a slowing debuff. Also can heal in divinity mode if I feel like it.
    Prophecies of Doom (3/3), damage done during this effect is done again when it ends. If the monster is killed while the effect is active this skill instantly recharges. Good for boss fights.
    Brand of the Sun (3/3), good DoT, apply to beefy mobs.
    Terrifying insight (3/3), a mush have for a dps cleric.
    Break the spirit (3/3), DoT and debuff? Yup I like these types of skills done.
    Divine GLow (3/3), Damage and debuff? Buff in divine mode? AoE skill? Ok got to take this.

Astral Shield (3/3), in case I feel like using a damage resist buff.
    Hammer of Fate (3/3), Highest single target daily (highest damage dealing skill we have!)
    Prophetic action (3/3), Can't count how many times this skill has saved my life. it's a keeper.

thanks so much.
    I do have a question for ya.
    If you could reroll your toon all over again for your build, how would your start stats look like, and how would like the stats to end?
    edited June 2013
    thanks so much.
    I do have a question for ya.
    If you could reroll your toon all over again for your build, how would your start stats look like, and how would like the stats to end?

I would try and start with 15 strength, 16 wisdom and 15 charisma.

I would put 1 point into strength every time I could and into charisma once where every other time I would put into wisdom. or At least for the ones we get to choose rather then +1 to all stats (at 30 and 60).

so end stats would be 21 strength, 21 wisdom, 18 charisma.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I would try and start with 15 strength, 16 wisdom and 15 charisma.

I would put 1 point into strength every time I could and into charisma once where every other time I would put into wisdom. or At least for the ones we get to choose rather then +1 to all stats (at 30 and 60).

so end stats would be 21 strength, 21 wisdom, 18 charisma.

Looks like the best starting stats I could come up with was - WIS: 18 (16 + 2 human) STR: 15 CHA: 13
    (9 in DEX since we don't need that at all)
    Hope that works.
    edited June 2013
    Looks like the best starting stats I could come up with was - WIS: 18 (16 + 2 human) STR: 15 CHA: 13
    (9 in DEX since we don't need that at all)
    Hope that works.

not bad, you will want to put more points into charisma though to get it up higher (at least 17 I'd say)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    not bad, you will want to put more points into charisma though to get it up higher (at least 17 I'd say)

I rerolled, I was able to get WIS:16 STR: 15 CHA: 15 (had to put +2 in CHA from Human allocation)
    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
    edited June 2013
    I rerolled, I was able to get WIS:16 STR: 15 CHA: 15 (had to put +2 in CHA from Human allocation)
    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Nice.

You're welcome for the help. It's nice to hear others going for dps specced clerics. :)

If you are on mindflayer I will play with you :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Nice.

You're welcome for the help. It's nice to hear others going for dps specced clerics. :)

If you are on mindflayer I will play with you :)
    I'm on mindflayer :-)
    edited June 2013
    grifterec wrote: »
    I'm on mindflayer :-)

sent you a friend request :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you're DPS spec you should go for tiefling imo. It's not like losing 3 points on one of those crappy feats you've chosen is gonna make you more inviable than what you already are.
    Care to show us a couple of end-of-dungeon charts? Just to see if you're even scratching the 4th place in there.

i'm very skeptical about this build. Cleric's DPS is very low atm... when you get past lv 25ish everyone else starts to shine and out-perform the retardedly high dps ability you had until then while you begin to get crappier and crappier until you get to lv 51 and start saving arses with a blue circle and lots of luck and focusing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
    edited June 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    If you're DPS spec you should go for tiefling imo. It's not like losing 3 points on one of those crappy feats you've chosen is gonna make you more inviable than what you already are.
    Care to show us a couple of end-of-dungeon charts? Just to see if you're even scratching the 4th place in there.

i'm very skeptical about this build. Cleric's DPS is very low atm... when you get past lv 25ish everyone else starts to shine and out-perform the retardedly high dps ability you had until then while you begin to get crappier and crappier until you get to lv 51 and start saving arses with a blue circle and lots of luck and focusing.

I'm using first for dps unless there is a GWF in the group then I'm usually a close second.

Also, Cleric damage isn't low, I have arround level 25 on my healing spec cleric come second or 3 for damage even. If you make good use of your divinity you can do alot of damage.

And yes I have 2 different clerics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm using first for dps unless there is a GWF in the group then I'm usually a close second.

Also, Cleric damage isn't low, I have arround level 25 on my healing spec cleric come second or 3 for damage even. If you make good use of your divinity you can do alot of damage.

And yes I have 2 different clerics.

The scoreboard at the end doesn't mean a great deal at all.

It's the same with healing. I don't care if someone did 6% more healing over the course of a whole dungeon, because they had Invigorated Healing feated. It didn't help them heal through that couple of seconds burst damage from those 10 adds pounding a CW. Likewise DPS. You have AoE damage spells that hit a lot of mobs throughout the dungeon and the damage piles up. This doesn't necessarily mean you're going to out dps a TR or GWF or CW on a single target fight ie. a boss .. and when a boss usually spawns add after add until he's killed, you want him down fast with good single target dps.
    edited June 2013
    scozzers wrote: »
    The scoreboard at the end doesn't mean a great deal at all.

It's the same with healing. I don't care if someone did 6% more healing over the course of a whole dungeon, because they had Invigorated Healing feated. It didn't help them heal through that couple of seconds burst damage from those 10 adds pounding a CW. Likewise DPS. You have AoE damage spells that hit a lot of mobs throughout the dungeon and the damage piles up. This doesn't necessarily mean you're going to out dps a TR or GWF or CW on a single target fight ie. a boss .. and when a boss usually spawns add after add until he's killed, you want him down fast with good single target dps.

I'm aware of the fact that it isn't 100%, but to if you are coming high on the dps chart, you don't have low damage. Seriously though, clerics have good AoE and single target dps, it's just that most people thing clerics can't do damage so they never learn how (and if they did they wouldn't complain about solo play being too hard)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Well, it's not that clerics can't deal damage. It's the fact that while everyone else in game can keep doing their job AND deal high ammounts of damage at the same time, the cleric can only do one at a time.

Sure, you top the charts with your fabulous ubberness, but ask yourself the following question: wouldn't the party be better off with a second CW/TR/GWF instead of a second cleric specced in DPS? Those 3 classes offer the same damage as you on top of their own utility. You cannot compete with that, because a cleric's utility is their healing and damage reduction effects, which you replaced with raw DPS and sub-par debuffs.

If you could keep your cleric utility a.k.a. keeping the party continuously healed and protected from damage at the same time you get a respectable position on the damage charts I would applaud you. But that's not the case.

Nevertheles, your attempt is appreciated and respected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Well, it's not that clerics can't deal damage. It's the fact that while everyone else in game can keep doing their job AND deal high ammounts of damage at the same time, the cleric can only do one at a time.

Sure, you top the charts with your fabulous ubberness, but ask yourself the following question: wouldn't the party be better off with a second CW/TR/GWF instead of a second cleric specced in DPS? Those 3 classes offer the same damage as you on top of their own utility. You cannot compete with that, because a cleric's utility is their healing and damage reduction effects, which you replaced with raw DPS and sub-par debuffs.

If you could keep your cleric utility a.k.a. keeping the party continuously healed and protected from damage at the same time you get a respectable position on the damage charts I would applaud you. But that's not the case.

Actually I find 2 clerics is better. I specced for healing who does big AoE heals and one specced for dps who debuffs and deals damage. The dps cleric gains divinity faster because they are doing alot of damage and can do spot heals for party members you take spike damage. It actually works really well, Also all my critical hits heal nearby allies.

Sure another CW/TR/GWF would work, but they can't spot heal those that take spike damage.

Also I have come top in healing and dps before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    words are words.
    I want to see some t2 charts with you on the top of damage and healing.

I really wanted to take you seriously, but i'm begining to think you're full of bs. No offense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    words are words.
    I want to see some t2 charts with you on the top of damage and healing.

I really wanted to take you seriously, but i'm begining to think you're full of bs. No offense.

In T2's I run with another cleric who does AoE heals, I'm usually second for healing in these situation but often top for damage or sometimes second. I haven't taken any screenshots and now that you've basically called me a liar I don't know if I even want to. I've only come top in both a few times mostly in T1's. However I am often top or near the top in dps in T2's. I said I've come top in both before, but only when I'm the only cleric.

Also 2 of the damaging abilities I use have secondary effects and aren't even high dps skills. One is Divine glow which is an AoE debuff and damage. I also use daunting light in divine mode. My last encounter is either sunburst or chains of blazing light for standard trash mobs. I sometimes switch in single target spells in boss fights depending on the fight.

I understand you are sceptical but to go and call me a liar on no grounds of proof is not appreciated. You must have never seen a damage dealing cleric, I know I'm not the only one either. You might be unwilling to believe it, but it does work and it is effective.

This will be my last response to you, believe what you will, I don't think seeing charts will even convince unless you see it in game. I'm done talking to you.

P.S.
    Clerics have 2 roles in neverwinter Leader and controller. Go look up what those roles mean in D&D 4th edition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013

The beautiful thing about being an offhealer/dps is that while i'm doing seriously respectable damage, im debuffing the boss immensely, stacking linked spirit x 2, stacking feated forsight, keeping 100% uptime of Hallowe ground (or switching to Divine armor if the group needs a buffer during AS downtime), Divine mode/diving glowing the dps...

Im not saying people SHOULD take a second cleric over another dps... but it IS complete viable... Im not saying people SHOULD take my GWF rather than a GF... But any group that has has been surely happy as i top the rogues and mages in dps and still tank..

I honestly don't get why people are coming to this thread acting like anyone has anything to prove to them.. the fact of the matter is there are people doing extremely well in pve/pvp as an offspec cleric.. if you don't like it, dont take one..

But at the end of the day it's NOT about individual dps/healing its about smooth and quick runs, and a cleric specced the way i posted about in this thread FACILITATES smooth, quick runs.
  • scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm aware of the fact that it isn't 100%, but to if you are coming high on the dps chart, you don't have low damage. Seriously though, clerics have good AoE and single target dps, it's just that most people thing clerics can't do damage so they never learn how (and if they did they wouldn't complain about solo play being too hard)

I kind of agree with the latter but can we just clear something up here and in this whole thread. The scoreboard does not show dps. It shows damage done. There is a difference between the two. Especially when dungeons are clumped up add fests and one class has a ton of aoe damage spells.
  • trinity1980trinity1980 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @grifterec & faeriestorm, I think you have more experience than me. So, I'd like to ask you, what are your stats? How much crit, ArPen, power, recovery do you have? Which enchantments do you use on weapon and armor? Which powers do you use in boss fights? DL, FF and Break the Spirit? And how many of them in divinity mode?
    edited June 2013
    scozzers wrote: »
    I kind of agree with the latter but can we just clear something up here and in this whole thread. The scoreboard does not show dps. It shows damage done. There is a difference between the two. Especially when dungeons are clumped up add fests and one class has a ton of aoe damage spells.

Huh? everyone but rogues excels at aoe damage.. considering dungeons are full of aoe mobs, (including boss fights) how is this not relevant?
    edited June 2013
    @grifterec & faeriestorm, I think you have more experience than me. So, I'd like to ask you, what are your stats? How much crit, ArPen, power, recovery do you have? Which enchantments do you use on weapon and armor? Which powers do you use in boss fights? DL, FF and Break the Spirit? And how many of them in divinity mode?

Yes Sir!

But first i have 2 sets of gear that i swap out all the time.

Weapon is Grand Dragon eye with a 25% vorpal
    First set is 4/4 High prophet
    3,422 Power
    3,903 Crit
    1,904 Arpen
    2,585 Recovery
    1,095 Defense

Next up is 2/2 Grand templar and 2/2 divine emmisary
    3,818 Power
    4,778 Crit
    1,904 Arpen
    1,907 recovery
    1,265 Defense

Those stats are unbuffed (with pet)

In general i use the 2/2 set, as the higher crit and power is noticeable. However often for bossfights, or whenever i dont have a GWF with SOS or a Mage with ROE then i throw on the High prophet for that. Also generally use high prophet for boss fights for the 30% defense which stacks with all other %defense (seperate from arpen.)

This is my current build http://nwcalc.com/dc?b=cn4:2hwcg:5m9s,1w3331b:ah000:b5u00:6u000&h=1

As for abilities.
    Daily: Hallowed Ground/Divine Power (if there is a second cleric and they are using HG frequently)

Daily: hammer/flamestrike (i rarely if ever use this, almost 100% of the time im using HG for the damage and resistance buff)

At will: Lance/Astral Seal (if i am the only cleric and thus healing more often i use seal, otherwise its lance. I have tried flame plenty and prefer lance)
    At will: Brand of Sun (this is feated to debuff the target so throw it on anything worth dotting_

Encounter. Sun Burst. This doesnt leave my bar ever. My build is focused around GROUP dps, not my own. I sit up close with the melee, and try and get a linked spirit up 100% of the time. Since i have feated foresight this also gives them 11% Damage resistance

Encounter: Daunting Light. This is silly dps, on bosses you dont need to use divine mode, for trash or adds to a boss use divine mode. With HG up and linked spirit expect 25k crits.. AOE. ( if you feat for it it debuffs the mobs as well, but im not)

Encounter: Divine Glow. Debuffs boss, buffs allies, does some damage, and builds Divine Power. Win/Win/Win

Passive: Foresight, if you are in a cheese mode easy *** group you can drop this for something else. but this really makes your group shine (it stacks with another cleric if they have it)

Passive: Terrifying insight/Holy fervor. I use TI if i have lance up and am using my 4 piece set. If you are using seal/brand youll never get any stacks of it and its worthless, more AP for more HG would be much wiser.

I hear people like Break the Spirit, i personally dont feel it has a place on my bar because my other encounters are pretty much essential. (anyone know the actual debuff from BTS?)

Optional stuff.

If your cleric sucks, or your team just has to stand in red you can switch out daunting light for FF or AS but i find this is generally not needed, with yourhallowed ground or divine protection up a LOT! and your sunburst/foresight/linked spirit buff they really shouldnt be needing you to heal.