What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update to Proposed End Game Loot Changes

Comments

• Options
    realdadiorealdadio Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In all honesty I think the problem is not items being bop, its the fact that you run dungeons so many times and not get the item you looking for.

Perhaps what needs to be done is to go back in the system and redo the randomness of loot. Depending on your party make up the percentages have to be raised so you get a better chance of getting your particular item to drop.

Running a dungeon 20 or more times and not getting the item you need is rather unfulfilling and wastes a lot of time.
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why are so many people opposed to the loot changes? Maybe i don't know the whole story, but it seems that not being able to purchase entire gear sets off the AH and force people into dungeons would be beneficial. No?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    Why are so many people opposed to the loot changes? Maybe i don't know the whole story, but it seems that not being able to purchase entire gear sets off the AH and force people into dungeons would be beneficial. No?

Read the whole discussion. One of the main objections is basically that the reward/work ratio becomes too low - with BoE, you might run a dungeon, get a drop - if it was the one you wanted, fine - otherwise you sell it and buy the one you wanted. With BoP that is not an option - you would have to run the same dungeons over and over to get the gear you wanted - long after you have mastered them, and the dungeon becomes nothing but a boring chore....

Another objection was that this would be massively unfair to new players.

Fortunately they reconsidered. Case closed.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Indeed. They are allowing unwanted BoP gear to be salvaged for AD. Question is how much? 500 AD? Please don't insult us.
    I also think every epic dungeon run should reward some AD for completion. Incentive to stick out the whole run and reward if you do not get your drop.
  • Options
    xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »

The thing is it wouldn't force people into dungeon delves. It would make people stop doing them entirely. If items were BOP than as soon as someone got lucky enough to get their item they (most likely) would stop running the dungeon.
    This is because of the loot drop rate plus only 1 person getting anything. Make that 1 item BOP and it just makes aggravates the frustration people get, again making it so people don't want to run dungeon delves again.
    Dungeon delves just don't reward everyone. There is not an equal reward for time spent. So why do them if you are likely to get nothing or if you do it can't be used to get something that Is useful to you.

I hope that helps explain the issue at hand. And why BOP on any end game loot is bad.

As it stands the N/G/P loot system is the major flaw with the party/dungeon system. Having to roll verses your party for that 1 piece of gear that may be an upgrade is counter to co-operation.
    If everyone got something BOP may not be as bad, but with N/G/P it is just too much of a detriment to the game.
  • Options
    mediocesaeietusmediocesaeietus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    T1, T2... (and so on if planned) set pieces + all epic gear on those slots (chest, hands...etc.) - BoP
    Others - BoE

This way, there will be a market for necklaces, rings...etc. And their prices will rise, earning even more Zen for the company (higher prices -> people with less time will buy more zen for exchanging to ad or spending on other things which they can sell), cause who doesn't want the best ring even if it costs a lot of ad? On the other hand, the game loses it's P2W status, cause you'll have to work for your main gear, the meat of your damage.
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just ruin your game even more Cryptic..let the ninja's ninja.

Need= BoP
    Greed=BoE

How hard is that seriously?
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Stop tier 1 loot dropping in tier 2, so frustrating looting end of dungeon chest and you get rewarded with a tier 1 item from castle never.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    Just ruin your game even more Cryptic..let the ninja's ninja.

Need= BoP
    Greed=BoE

How hard is that seriously?

How exactly does this stop "ninjas"?
    How is this any better than what was first planed?

Simple answers it won't, it isn't.

Long answer people will roll need on anything that they think they can use to increase their own power. Even if that means selling it to a vender.

A large majority of people will still roll need on anything they can because;
    They think they need it, deserve it.
    They think It may be an upgrade.
    They just want the popup to go away so they can go back to fighting monsters.
    It is faster to just hit shift-1 than it is to look at what drops.
    They are just there to troll people.
    ect....

Take your choice.

Because people will do one or more of the above, means that most items will end up being BoP, so no change from what was first planed. Something that a large majority of people do not want, an would be bad for the community.
  • Options
    yliana1yliana1 Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    xanquil wrote: »
    How exactly does this stop "ninjas"?

Long answer people will roll need on anything that they think they can use to increase their own power. Even if that means selling it to a vender.

A large majority of people will still roll need on anything they can because;
    They think they need it, deserve it.
    They think It may be an upgrade.
    They are just there to troll people.
    ect....

Simple solution really,or maybe just in my head but here try this :

Make class based loot. Dont let classes that cant wear a piece roll need on it (as it is right now)..
    If you need the item its BoP,if you greed it BoE.

Give "won/aquired by need roll" items a low value to vendor to NPCs for gold/salvage for AD so it isnt worth ninjaing a piece for lets say 10silver or 500 unrefined AD. (the purpose of NEED should be that you wear it to improve your stats,so you shouldnt care about its value if you find a better piece ^^)(sure some i*** will always do it,no doubt about it.. but most do it to make profit/gear alts etc)

The "won/aquired by greed roll" : items stay as they are,for profit and gearing alts/guildmembers/friends/yourself if you are unlucky with drops..
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have the perfect solution for all ur problems....

Fix CN fast runs (last boss farm), Fix Frozen heart fast runs (last boss farm), and fix the Karrundax fight... Seriously, insted of fixing the dungeon exploits u want to BoP everything to avoid overflow of epics ??? Sorry but i dont understand that.

Also make dungeon Delves chest reward BoP.

There, problem solved.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

this 1000000%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sorobotsorobot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i agree. if an item isn't for my class. or isn't better then what i have, ill just pass on it. i don't like the clutter in my inventory.
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    fauust01 wrote: »
    this 1000000%

Yup. +1 on that.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The simplest solution would be to make Needed BoP items have no value. That means no ability to sell to a vendor, no ability to salvage, or any means now or in the future that would allow the item to be exchanged for anything. Basically, a wasted space in your inventory to have to discard if you won't use it.

Maybe add an additional dialog to a Need choice; perhaps explaining what Need will do to the item and asking if you're sure. This would serve a dual role in educating people on these changes but also making it more annoying for those just trying to make the popup go away. If this is truly the reason why they would choose Need, they would soon get out of this practice.

As far as the other reasons given, unfortunately there's no cure for stupid so there's little that can be done about it aside from doing away with the Need/Greed system altogether, which I'm not against as long as it doesn't make looting take longer than it already does.

Here's an idea I just came up with:

Give everyone their own set of loot. Similar to the overflow bag, give everyone a fairly-sized loot bag that all their loot just automatically goes into. You're free to sort through it at your own leisure, but like the overflow bag, you have to move items into your normal bags to use/equip them. Only allow items to be moved from and not to the bag, and put a time limit on how long an item can stay in the bag before it's automatically discarded (maybe an hour and make the time on each item easily visible) so people don't just use it as extra storage. For convenience, maybe even allow people to mark items as junk and then have a button to automatically move all non-junk items into personal space, a button to discard all junk, and give an option at vendors to instantly sell all junk.

This would not only help solve the loot problem, but the inconvenience of constantly having to sort out your inventory. Just don't make the loot bag so large that bag space becomes trivial. Maybe they can even sell loot bag upgrades in the Zen shop.

Just a quick thought I had, don't judge too harshly.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yliana1 wrote: »

Make class based loot. Dont let classes that cant wear a piece roll need on it (as it is right now)..

Uh....it's been like that for a while now. Stops the TR from "need"ing on the DC item (or vice versa)
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yliana1 wrote: »

If you need the item its BoP,if you greed it BoE.

Give "won/aquired by need roll" items a low value to vendor to NPCs for gold/salvage for AD so it isnt worth ninjaing a piece for lets say 10silver or 500 unrefined AD. (the purpose of NEED should be that you wear it to improve your stats,so you shouldnt care about its value if you find a better piece ^^)(sure some i*** will always do it,no doubt about it.. but most do it to make profit/gear alts etc)

The "won/aquired by greed roll" : items stay as they are,for profit and gearing alts/guildmembers/friends/yourself if you are unlucky with drops..

Now you run into the other issue, no need to run the dungeon. If someone already has the gear they need, and getting an item isn't worth anything than there is no need to do it.
    Even if an item is only worth a few AD people will roll on it, because it is worth something right now, instead of having to wait for an AH sale for it.
    Human nature is a interesting (and sometimes disturbing)thing.

Sadly that is the flaw of the N/G/P system that no amount of restrictions will ever get rid of.
    sorobot wrote: »
    i agree. if an item isn't for my class. or isn't better then what i have, ill just pass on it. i don't like the clutter in my inventory.

You are one of the few like this, to bad more people are not. :/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    The simplest solution would be to make Needed BoP items have no value. That means no ability to sell to a vendor, no ability to salvage, or any means now or in the future that would allow the item to be exchanged for anything. Basically, a wasted space in your inventory to have to discard if you won't use it.
    That is when you run into the other issue, where people just stop doing Dungeons because there is nothing for them. Without any reward most people will not spend the time. This is part of the problem currently also, with only 1 person getting anything of worth.

Maybe add an additional dialog to a Need choice; perhaps explaining what Need will do to the item and asking if you're sure. This would serve a dual role in educating people on these changes but also making it more annoying for those just trying to make the popup go away. If this is truly the reason why they would choose Need, they would soon get out of this practice.
    People that just hit shift-1(need), or even shift-2(greed) to get rid of the popup, are not going to read what is says anyhow. It is an annoyance and needs to be removed not made bigger.
    As far as the other reasons given, unfortunately there's no cure for stupid so there's little that can be done about it aside from doing away with the Need/Greed system altogether, which I'm not against as long as it doesn't make looting take longer than it already does.

Here's an idea I just came up with:

Give everyone their own set of loot. Similar to the overflow bag, give everyone a fairly-sized loot bag that all their loot just automatically goes into. You're free to sort through it at your own leisure, but like the overflow bag, you have to move items into your normal bags to use/equip them. Only allow items to be moved from and not to the bag, and put a time limit on how long an item can stay in the bag before it's automatically discarded (maybe an hour and make the time on each item easily visible) so people don't just use it as extra storage. For convenience, maybe even allow people to mark items as junk and then have a button to automatically move all non-junk items into personal space, a button to discard all junk, and give an option at vendors to instantly sell all junk.

This would not only help solve the loot problem, but the inconvenience of constantly having to sort out your inventory. Just don't make the loot bag so large that bag space becomes trivial. Maybe they can even sell loot bag upgrades in the Zen shop.

Just a quick thought I had, don't judge too harshly.

This is the kind of thing that would help. Things like this are more helpful to the developers than the cut and paste need=bop, greed=boe nonsense people keep posting.
  • Options
    orinllhausorinllhaus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK... so now your causing the dungeon grind from hell which I was hoping would not be put into this game. I hate grinding for anything. Its boring....

Since you're killing the persons ability to accumulate some AD, make vendors that you can sell these new BOP items for AD to them at a reasonable rate. Your current sales rates are terrible across all your vendors, way too low.

Respectfully;
  • Options
    shakamoonshakamoon Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    can't see all the thread, but here is an option.
    -rather than dropping gear/weapon/jewels. Drop items that can be used to purchase the gear from vendor, longer to farm but can stable the market. But please don't make it outrageous so that we can't buy it without doing the instance 10-20times or something. maybe within 3-5 run per purchase.
    -10-50% chance of gear/weapon/jewels/ of drops rather than every time you dungeon, those can be BOE for selling, but please make it equivalent to the highest drop - not some common T1 drop from a T2 dungeon.
  • Options
    zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Change the seal system. The following is my suggestion.

T1
    Epic Lair of the Mad Dragon: Seal of the Unicorn (Head & Waist)
    Epic Cragmire Crypt: Seal of the Unicorn (Feet & Ring)
    Epic Throne of Idris: Seal of the Unicorn (Armor & Off-hand)
    Epic The Cloak Tower: Seal of the Unicorn (Arms & Ring)
    Epic Gray Wolf Den: Seal of Unicorn (Main-Hand & Neck)

T2
    Epic The Frozen Heart: Seal of the Drake (Feet & Waist)
    Epic Lair of the Pirate King: Seal of the Drake (Off-Hand & Neck)
    Epic Spellplague Caverns: Seal of the Drake (Head & Ring)
    Epic Temple of the Spider: Seal of the Drake (Armor & Neck)
    Epic Caverns of Karrundax: Seal of the Drake (Arms & Waist)
    Epic The Dread Vault: Seal of the Drake (Main-Hand & Ring)

T2.5
    Epic Castle Never: Seal of the Ancient

Getting/Obtaining the Seals
    T1 dungeon bosses each drop 3 seals, end/last boss drops 5.
    T2 dungeon bosses each drop 2 seals, end/last boss drops 4.
    T2.5 dungeon bosses each drop 1 seal, end/last boss drops 3.
    For PVP fans: 500 Glory per T1 seal, 2500 Glory per T2 seal, 10000 glory per T2.5 seal
    -All seals will be BOP

Pricing
    T1 equipments each costs 35 seals (entry level epics shouldn't take too long to aquire)
    T2 equipments each costs 60 seals
    T2.5 equipments each costs 80 seals
    -None-set tier items will cost 10 less seals per item (stuff like Murderous Jester equipment and including rings/waist/neck)
    -Able to buy any class equipments (for companions)
    -Able to buy equipment for your other characters, sent via Mail/Bank storage (let you gear up your Alts, gives full geared people reason to keep running the dungeons)
    -All equipment will be BOP
  • Options
    yliana1yliana1 Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    Now you run into the other issue, no need to run the dungeon. If someone already has the gear they need, and getting an item isn't worth anything than there is no need to do it.
    Even if an item is only worth a few AD people will roll on it, because it is worth something right now, instead of having to wait for an AH sale for it.
    Human nature is a interesting (and sometimes disturbing)thing.

Sadly that is the flaw of the N/G/P system that no amount of restrictions will ever get rid of.

I agree.. The solution isnt perfect,but nothing short of a remove loot and implement barter tokens that are awarded per run (no drops at all) will be perfect i guess. And even that might bore someone etc etc,too many viewpoints to make 1 right system :)

But if its just the value of items that has people ninja it,remove the value on "won/aquired by need" items.
    And people that are fully geared would/could run so called "sell runs" aka,full group of geared people,runs it purely to roll greed to sell stuff for profit. People that still need the gear can run with others that need it and aquire it without fear of anyone ninjaing for profit.And people with all gear that want to help a friend/guildmember to get some gear can still do so..
    (as said,some idi** will always be around,but that wont go away with any change)

Human nature is what ruins most MMOs,pvp and pve... But few admit it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The lack of reward is one of the reasons I'm all for doing away with the n/g/p system entirely. It is nothing but trouble. Independent loot and the use of seals/tokens are by and large a much better, and more controllable (by the developers) system.
    It also does away with having to roll off verses your own party. (ie ninja looters)
    The developers can make the items you buy with seals best in slot and bop. (with a salvage option)
    As for gearing up new players, make a way to upgrade the old seals to the next higher one. (a small AD cost would be reasonable)
    Make the seals account wide and that even gets rid of the gearing an alt problem.
    If people don't have to "fight" the other party members in order to get something, people will be more likely to want to party. Simple.

It also has the added advantage of getting rid of that stupid popup every time something gets picked up, Making combat an even more enjoyable experience.

I for one can't think of a reason to keep the n/g/p system. If there is one I would like to know.
  • Options
    abcoeabcoe Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.
  • Options
    morthanosmorthanos Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm happy as is. From a players perspective, I hate grinding content over and over for gear. Let me enjoy it once (more if I enjoy it). If I want to grind, I can, if not, getting it off the AH is a great alternative.

There is a solution to ninja-looters. Take the time to recruit people you can trust. It won't solve the problem, but I have never had trouble finding good people to run with. If somebody ninja's, just ban them and move on.

BOP is only an advantage to Cryptic, as if forces people to play longer to reach endgame goals. Since I will only play while the game is fun, after a few runs in the same dungeon, I'm done, whether I have the gear or not. This way is vastly superior as I can gear up either through grinding or the AH and when the content is boring, wait for the next content update.

Don't change it Cryptic. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    theacatetheacate Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    morthanos wrote: »
    I'm happy as is. From a players perspective, I hate grinding content over and over for gear. Let me enjoy it once (more if I enjoy it). If I want to grind, I can, if not, getting it off the AH is a great alternative.

There is a solution to ninja-looters. Take the time to recruit people you can trust. It won't solve the problem, but I have never had trouble finding good people to run with. If somebody ninja's, just ban them and move on.

BOP is only an advantage to Cryptic, as if forces people to play longer to reach endgame goals. Since I will only play while the game is fun, after a few runs in the same dungeon, I'm done, whether I have the gear or not. This way is vastly superior as I can gear up either through grinding or the AH and when the content is boring, wait for the next content update.

Don't change it Cryptic. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.

My thoughts exactly. If I don't like a particular dungeon or whatever i won't run it often enough to get the gear I need / want for my char and just get frustrated and walk away. Not away from the dungeon but away from the game. If you make it far too complicated to get gear, then a lot will walk as it's just another annoying complication to something that should be fun.

If you really MUST change it to "fix" or "punish" those ninnies that feel the need to roll on stuff they don't need then fine do this:

Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

I usually roll greed on most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anyways just so I don't have to see the bags laying around. If I don't need it then I either ask in party if anyone needed it and missed, or just NPC it (green) or AH it off to free up space in bag. Worse case if I know a guildie is working on a particular class then I toss it in the guild bank for them and give them a heads up so they can grab it later.

Stop forcing us into doing dungeons over and over or <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we don't find is fun. You will only drive people away, not bring them in to spend their money.
  • Options
    niburu2012niburu2012 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the better ways to kill many birds with one stone is to have little mobs and mini-bosses in the epic dungeons drop valuable items such as skill recipes and rare cosmetic pets with limited stats.

New recipes for set gear can make professions more enjoyable. Cosmetic pets makes nice fluffy companions for those who want to look special. These kinds of things will make players less inclined to use the exploits to get pass mobs or bumped them off the cliff. If it takes more time to run through a dungeon endgame gear will be more rare and special to have. Little mobs and mini-bosses are easier to kill than the end boss so it will give causal players or those who are not so well geared or skilled a way to like running dungeons.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is when you run into the other issue, where people just stop doing Dungeons because there is nothing for them. Without any reward most people will not spend the time. This is part of the problem currently also, with only 1 person getting anything of worth.

And that's why if you want to sell the item, you greed it instead.
  • Options
    sicktir3dsicktir3d Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Make everything needable again. You sell the stuff you win and buy the stuff you want, it's pretty simple. You could even just take the need and greed buttons out and have everything autoroll, would be even better. Make every dungeon have a T1 and T2 difficulty setting if you are worried about people missing out on content.
  • Options
    balerathonbalerathon Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm sure they are aware of Every game's End-game loot system. It's their job. That being said, it would seem to me that they initially meant for it to fuel the AD economy. The best players go around earning all that stuff, and for a price, the non-raider can walk around in top tier loot. It's actually a pretty nice idea that serves both the company and the players.

I agree it cheapens it. I like the changes a lot more, but I understand why they did what they did.

A big part of WoW for me was hitting cap, then having to create a long term roadmap to BiS gear. Had to first do Dailies to get the token gear that would allow me to tank Heroic dungeons, which would allow me to tank T1s, then T2, then T3. It took me at least 2 months just to get to the point where I could tank T1s, and while it was repetitive, and at times annoying man by the time I did hit T1, I was rockin.

OTOH in GW2 where 5 days after hitting max, I owned the BiS gear set and sword. Just had to grind out some more cash. After that, it was trivial, and I sort of fell off.

Good work Cryptic :) Keep chugging along, we got your back!
This discussion has been closed.