test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T2 Epic Dungeons: Not Worth It?

degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, after running many epic dungeons (mainly T2), with both PUGs and guild members, I'm starting to think that they may not be worth the hassle. Most of the time one of these scenarios play out...

1) PUGs drop or someone needs to leave.
2) Difficulty recruiting (mainly DCs).
3) Connection/Log On issues resulting in one perhaps being ported back to the start of the dungeon.
4) Burning through potions and injury kits (which cost a lot of coin at 60).
5) Frustration at being unable to defeat the end boss.
6) Dungeons sometimes taking 2-3 hours or longer depending on recruitment time, deaths, starting/stopping, and breaks.
7) Not getting a desired item or items during the DD.

I think I'm going to focus on crafting, the AH, and PVP.

Thoughts?
PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
Post edited by degraafination on

Comments

• natural40natural40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You better hope they do more with PvP. In its current state, it's 2 maps and a balance issue beyond compare. O and if you like NO DR for your CC this is the place to be.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Those who like trying out different strategies, playing group content and tackle difficult content will have no problem with that.
    Personally, I take it easy, do foundry quests and professions and start levelling an alt.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm glad is not just me...had a similar feeling after running a T2 with guildies last night. Between potions and injury kits, it starts to cost a lot of gold, and you just don't get very much at all from the dungeon (still picking up piles of 1-5 copper from level 65 mobs, really?).

And almost all of the bosses seem to be the same. Every boss just spawns a tons of adds, and you have either one person kite them all, or a CW try to Singularity and toss them off a cliff. It's really not very much fun at all. Dungeon encounters should be different than just every other encounter in the game, IE killing a huge group of mobs. Right now, I guess the bosses have some special moves, but I personally never see them as a CW, because my entire experience is casting EF and Shield to build AP, Singularity, explode things off a cliff and repeat.

They're just not very fun encounters...and almost every single wipe is caused by being overwhelmed with adds, NOT because of the boss mechanics. Again...they're just not fun to do.

And the part that's getting frustrating is we're struggling to get the final boss down in a few of the dungeons, simply because we keep getting plowed over by adds, and our guild refuses to use bugs or exploits to bypass that part. We want to do the encounters the "correct" way, but we don't even know what that is, given every encounter is just a big boss with 5 dozen adds. And my guildmates and I, we're not the most super-leet players ever, but we're good to great MMO players. We play together, we coordinate on voice chat, we SHOULD be able to get these encounters down, particularly after wiping a few times to learn the "mechanics"...but again, unless you call dealing with dozens of adds in EVERY encounter "mechanics" there's just nothing to learn.

I can't imagine random groups are having much success here, much less groups that actually need to gear up in these instances, and don't already overgear them via buying everything on the AH.

Honestly, I'm hoping they add in the Ranger or Warlock soon, so I'll have another alt to play while they go back and re-tune the dungeons.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I no longer queue for dungeons. I have accepted the fact I will not have Best In Slot gear.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, I am semi torn as well.

I hit 60 on my cleric last monday. I spent the next week running T1 dungeons, skirmish events, foundry dailys and daily dungeons..all to farm AD to purchase me gear off the AH and at the hopes of a few drops from these dungeons.

So now that I have a mix of T1/T2 gear (9.3 gs), I can head into T2 and consider it "end game". I know there are 3 or 4 dungeons that will be pretty difficult. So if I want "endgame" in neverwinter, I'll be doing that. Otherwise the other endgame is Gauntlgrym and the verdict is still out on that one. We'll see how that one is.

Other than that, are T2 epics worth it? Eh. Theres nothing else to test your gear and meddle in the game except CN and hopefully Gauntlgrym...So one would say, whats the point of getting uber gear if you don't have a use for it? If there isnt a Tier 3 dungeon out there, or a raid to put that gear to use?

That's the mentality that Ive always had with gear grind games. Is there content out there(higher in difficulty or tier) to put my gear to use / to test my gear and my meddle. If there isn't, or isnt very much of it...eh then theres no real reason. I then level alts (like I am now) and wait and see.
  • ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At the moment, I only really run one T2 dungeon, I just don't find any of the others to be fun, be it due to the large number of exploits and shortcuts that people are using, or the crazy groups of mobs that are way beyond anything that can be classed as "Fun"..
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some of the T2 dungeons are really fun....until the frustratingly rigged end boss levels. I want to be challenged and I have no problem with that, but these end boss fights are no fun even if I DO on occasion get lucky and finish one.

Here is the option as I see it at this time: Spend a bunch of real money buying Zen and Exchange it for Astral Diamonds. Gear up to the max by spending all your Diamonds at the auction house. If you play solo like me, join a pug for your favorite dungeon and then quit after the first wipe of final boss.

At least this way you don't have to worry about the loot because you own it already and you had the fun of all that stuff that leads up to the final boss. The problem here of course if that you might end up spending a couple hundred dollars. Maybe that was the plan by PWE all along????

Of course you can also find a "pro" guild that "somehow" got all geared up within one week after beta and play with them.

I have watched the streams of some of these groups who "finally" clear a T2 or CN boss, and they dont seem very satisfied afterwards. Its more a feeling of relief that its finally over. Thats not how gaming is suppose to feel.

I am not asking that they make T2 dungeon end boss easier. Just gives us a different mechanic on some of them so we have a chance. I am relegated to playing Throne Of Idris over and over again if I truly want to finish a somewhat challenging dungeon(its not even Tier2). At least in that one, one person can pull a small group of mobs several times so we can finish it.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It is worth it to run 1 or 2 times to understand the dungeon and fight mechanics.

Not worth it after that. It costs way to much in pots and kits.

When each dungeon costs between 3-6 gold to run then no it is not worth it.
  • cedwyncedwyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that boss mechanics need to be fixed in general. Let's face it: Cryptic has one scheme for bosses. "Hey guys let's throw in lots of adds and see what the players do with them!". That's it. There are minor variations, but either Cryptic hasn't spent much time on designing boss fights, has no idea how to design good boss fights, or simply has not been focused on designing unique boss fights. All end of T2 DD boss fights feel essentially the same to me; there's nothing unique that makes them stand out.

Additionally, T2 delves are almost prohibitively expensive from a GOLD standpoint, of all things. Between potions and injury kits, I'm spending significantly more in gold than I am taking in. I refuse to farm random content just so I can have enough gold to afford potions and injury kits. The idea is ridiculous, to be honest, especially with all the ADs I have sitting around in my bank right now. If I stop running T2 dungeons at any point, it's going to be because I run out of gold.

Right now, there are two things Cryptic is doing which I find encouraging. First is Gauntylgrym. It sounds unique and interesting, and I'm certainly willing to give it a try to see if it's fun. I'm hoping it will be, and no matter what it will certainly be a welcome change of pace. Second is the alchemy profession. It will be nice to be able to make my own potions in the future, although I am anticipating that given Cryptic's inability/unwillingness to make professions actually USEFUL in any kind of timely manner it'll likely take me a month or more to get to the point where I can make level 60 healing potions (unless I spend money on leveling it- which I have no plans to do at the moment).

I'll give Cryptic credit, they are trying to create a successful MMO that doesn't feel -too- much like a WoW rehash. The combat system is different enough to stand out, and the f2p model they espouse seems successful from my standpoint. Yes, most of what they are doing has been done in some other MMO, but never quite in this combination or in quite this fashion. When you're entering new territory like they are, there's a lot of work that needs to be done to smooth out all the rough bumps. I've put some money in to support them to this point, and for now we'll see where they go. If I like what they do, they'll continue to receive financial support from me. And if not, they won't. That is capitalism at it's finest.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They did some interesting fights in Champions Online that didn't rely on overwhelming adds. The Warlord fight and Gravitar were nice fights, all of them group vs boss.

And maybe Cryptic just doesn't realize how powerful the adds really are. In most T2s, a single add will do 4-6k damage a swing to me, which means if I get hit once by 3-4 adds, I'm dead...and in fights where you're literally fighting 30 adds, it's just an exercise in frustration. In Champions Online, the minions and lesser adds were pretty much trivial, and just served as fodder.

In Neverwinter, the adds are merciless killing machines.

I'm not asking for easy-mode or for Cryptic to dumb things down...I'm just asking for actual boss fights with actual mechanics. Because right now, everything is the exact same (95% of the battle is dealing with an overwhelming amount of adds) not fun method.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dungeons in this game are terribly terribly designed.

Boss fights are actually one Add with a lot of HP and weak attacks, who summons dozens of hard hitting annoying "bosses".

I stopped running them a while back because:

1. No reward, plenty of cost.
    2. Leader kicking people (Idiots at Cryptic, seriously stupid, laughable).
    3. Boss fights are as fun as doing taxes.
    4. Exploits, shotcuts etc or get kicked.
    5. Far, far too much taking out the trash. Chore, plain and simple, complete disrespect for my time, wasted taking out the garbage.

Logging in to pray each day is worth what I pay in subscription though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    4. Exploits, shotcuts etc or get kicked.

True. Which sucks for those of us who think content should be done as intended, not exploited.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    You guys do realize that adds insure everyone in the party actually has a job to do during a boss fight, right? If they turn this into a tank n spank game, where all my GF needs to do is taunt the boss then stand still, and every other class is heals or DPS with no need to maneuver around or control adds, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

Have you even TRIED Temple of the Spider? I get the feeling everyone who complains about lack of boss mechanics just gave up after they failed their first T2 dungeon.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    You guys do realize that adds insure everyone in the party actually has a job to do during a boss fight, right? If they turn this into a tank n spank game, where all my GF needs to do is taunt the boss then stand still, and every other class is heals or DPS with no need to maneuver around or control adds, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

Have you even TRIED Temple of the Spider? I get the feeling everyone who complains about lack of boss mechanics just gave up after they failed their first T2 dungeon.

Hahahaha. You have no clue pal.

Nice strawman though. "..all my GF needs to do is taunt the boss then stand still", yeah, that's what people asked for, good thing you're here to argue against that silly request which has been made!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Ranncore,I saw you posted this is another thread.
    Every dungeon in the game had already been cleared with balanced, 1 cleric teams (1 of each class). My guild (faded ones) has kills vids up for all the t2 bosses pre-patch on twitch and has post-patch vids coming in fast. Single cleric parties are almost totally unaffected by the AS "nerf," - it's really not a nerf at all. It was a fix.

Can you link to some of these videos. If your guild is "easily" clearing all these, I'd love to take a look.

And I'm not trolling, being serious here. Because we tried Temple of the Spider again last night, and hit a brick wall with the last boss. We got her into Drider mode once, but almost every other attempt (of about 12) had us getting obliterated by the adds pretty quickly.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited June 2013
    Founded it...was searching under Faded, not Faded Ones.

And you guys are good, that's great. But I watched a few minutes of 4-5 boss fights, and they almost all played out exactly the same.

Either your DC gathers and kites the mobs, or you guys gather them all up and knock them off the edge or AOE them. Then it's back to the boss for a few seconds, and then repeat.

You're looking at 15-20 minute boss fights where 95% of the fight is spent dealing with adds...and it's the exact same thing on all the fights. That's what I have an issue with.

Sure, the scenery changes, and the visuals for the boss splats change, but every single fight is essentially the same core mechanic.

Deal with overwhelming number of adds, then poke the boss a few times, then back to adds. Any mechanic the actual boss adds is fairly inconsequential.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • cedwyncedwyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you're struggling with adds on fights, I've found the easiest way to deal with them is to have a GF kite them. My main is a GF, and I've discovered that GFs aren't really tanks in this game- at least not in the traditional sense. DD bosses don't really require a dedicated tank for the most part. Their attacks tend to be fairly widespread/slow and just need to be dodged. As far as I can tell, the GF role in those fights to grab aggro on adds and kite them around until they are either knocked out of the encounter, DPSd down, or (most frequently) until the boss is killed. Post-patch it's easy for GFs to hold aggro, and as long as you can stay ahead of the pack kiting isn't hard. It may be monotonous, but it can be an effective counter to Cryptics adds extravaganza on boss fights.

There's no question it's the same mechanic repeated over and over, that's for sure. Like I said I'm hoping for better from GG, but we'll see how it goes.
  • willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    I agree 100%. I've not had any trouble at all clearing any T2 content, but I was really confused at the fights at first. So basically, the boss is the weakest hitting, easiest to kill mob (albeit with a huge HP pool), surrounded by lots of lower HP, harder hitting mobs?

Yeah the real "tank" job in this game would be considered off-tank in most others. I play TR and GF equally and most bosses can be solo'd or duo'd by TRs simply dodging the large AOEs and obvious attacks. GF and others just handle the giant army of mind numbing mobs.....

Every time I do it I still shake my head. 3/5 or 4/5 party members ignoring boss and dealing with waves of trash mobs. Not difficult, just boring.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    " Their attacks tend to be fairly widespread/slow and just need to be dodged. As far as I can tell, the GF role in those fights to grab aggro on adds and kite them around until they are either knocked out of the encounter, DPSd down, or (most frequently) until the boss is killed."

Thx for the advice, I will suggest it in my next dungeon run
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • bayne3bayne3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I never get anything from T2 that I can use. It would be cool to get some good loot, but overall, not worth my time.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Glad this thread is getting some attention. Great feedback, everyone. I hope Cryptic takes notice.

In the meantime I'm sticking to crafting, PVP and flipping good buys in the AH when and if they come. Still fun. T2s seems like such a waste to me.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • blackhawke90blackhawke90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most of those problems sound like things on your end rather than anything with T2. Usually I just run my daily foundry missions and have enough gold for potions and injury kits. Having a good guild that can actually clear things is helpful too. Certainly doesn't take 2-3 hours to clear a T2 if you do it right and have people who know how to work together.
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Totally agree. the only thing that's keeping me playing is the foundry and the creativity of some of the authors. But unless the foundry editor gets some love soon, even that will grow old shortly.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I've pretty much given up on dungeons. Most days I just do foundry, pvp and crafting.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most of those problems sound like things on your end rather than anything with T2. Usually I just run my daily foundry missions and have enough gold for potions and injury kits. Having a good guild that can actually clear things is helpful too. Certainly doesn't take 2-3 hours to clear a T2 if you do it right and have people who know how to work together.

I am in a good guild with good players. Please refer to my very first post as to why the entire T2 DD experience can take a long time and be very costly.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately I only have 2-3 hours to play per day. It takes around an hour to get a group together or join one that doesn't fall apart within the first 30 minutes. On a bad day, nothing starts and i just wasted it sitting around doing nothing. Usually I wait for 30 minutes for something to start then if nothing happens I do the foundry or a little pvp.
  • kaelis33kaelis33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    Well I hope so I have yet to get to them
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, after running many epic dungeons (mainly T2), with both PUGs and guild members, I'm starting to think that they may not be worth the hassle. Most of the time one of these scenarios play out...

3) Connection/Log On issues resulting in one perhaps being ported back to the start of the dungeon.
    6) Dungeons sometimes taking 2-3 hours or longer depending on recruitment time, deaths, starting/stopping, and breaks.

Thoughts?

If you're good at the AH game and if you enjoy it , then go for it .

I know people in other MMOs who only play to trade and nothing else which I find disturbing but hey you can't tell anyone how to have fun right ? :D
  • jonddnjonddn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but now and then i get a group that actualy can finish a t2 dungeon, only to get to the end chest and get a t1 reward... i mean realy? I wouldnt mind if it was a necklace, belt or whatever as long as is was a t2 version but no, so far i got t1 armors, boots, rings, belts... reported it but no reply thus far.

Anyone else seen this happen?

edit: this happen on pirate king, frozen heart and spellplague DD
    "Kobold smells all! Kobold Omnisniffient!" - Tuga? North Trail Wants You! - North! Always!
  • stango69stango69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Thoughts?

Really you think T2 is hard. It is fairly easy when you look at many mmos out there. Stick to T1 if you think they are too hard. If you know the game you can burn through most of them in 20 mins with no deaths.

It should be a challenge and have a skill level to be able to do it. Dont kill the game because the unskilled cant figure out the game.

Go do the **** stuff if you cant handle the real content. I am just glad we dont need 20 to 40 to enjoy end game.