test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF - Class dismissed.

alfinnetealfinnete Member Posts: 67 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
English is not my first language.

Ok, I do not want to be raising positives or negatives, but developers urgently need to think of something really good for the GWF.

Most Guild are simply ignoring the class for PvP Dungeon and even more specifically in Dungeons, where the class is viable TR + DC + CW, the GF was again interesting by threat and even more after buf dps unnecessary.

Maybe they could improve the sets since they do not know what to do with the class, or delete it at once (ironic)

This is a reality that is happening on my server, my guild and tries to keep as much lead GWF for dungeons, but the time it takes is much larger and not won in almost anything using a GWF in lieu of any other class .
Post edited by alfinnete on

Comments

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I completely agree that with a GWF it may take longer for a dungeon however, particularly with a Sentinel build, your group will die less with a GWF (him being a good player of course!) in it. My guild tends to run a balanced set up of one of every class, and want to beat the dungeons for what they are. Though of course 'speed runs' are used during DDs pretty often...

I would love for Sentinels to generate MORE threat. Here's to dreaming! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • alfinnetealfinnete Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I completely agree that with a GWF it may take longer for a dungeon however, particularly with a Sentinel build, your group will die less with a GWF (him being a good player of course!) in it. My guild tends to run a balanced set up of one of every class, and want to beat the dungeons for what they are. Though of course 'speed runs' are used during DDs pretty often...

Then, but improving with GF absurd the GWF should be a DPS potential. On my server the players prefer to take the GF and most GWF are disappointed, because the class is still not an exact sense.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    alfinnete wrote: »
    Then, but improving with GF absurd the GWF should be a DPS potential. On my server the players prefer to take the GF and most GWF are disappointed, because the class is still not an exact sense.
    That's why I stick mainly in guild, we work well as a team.

Though I understand where a Sentinel GWF will feel redundant with a GF... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Don't bother building for threat. GWF threat is still very bad, making tanking not really viable. (outside of our shout, we have no AoE threat.)
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    belladan wrote: »
    Don't bother building for threat. GWF threat is still very bad, making tanking not really viable. (outside of our shout, we have no AoE threat.)

Uhmm.. what do you consider a feated SLAM? and before you say OMG OMG its a daily, if you play right you can fill up your AP bar in 10-20 seconds, and have slam up more than enough to keep aoe aggro
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    grifterec wrote: »
    Uhmm.. what do you consider a feated SLAM? and before you say OMG OMG its a daily, if you play right you can fill up your AP bar in 10-20 seconds, and have slam up more than enough to keep aoe aggro

This. In mobs, especially PvE, I'm blasting dailies about once every 1-3 minutes, probably less if I pay attention and see, so...
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Yeah during fights with AOE mobs (hint thats every fight where you care about threat) One Roar + Shout while TAB'ed will almost fill up a bar, i have had fights where i had a new slam up about 5 seconds after the old slam ended.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah during fights with AOE mobs (hint thats every fight where you care about threat) One Roar + Shout while TAB'ed will almost fill up a bar, i have had fights where i had a new slam up about 5 seconds after the old slam ended.

That's awesome, I'm not THAT fast, but probably pretty close to it in terms of daily activation.
    edited June 2013
    That's awesome, I'm not THAT fast, but probably pretty close to it in terms of daily activation.

Do you have the +25% AP while unstoppable? with that, and dumping your Encounters during the unstoppable its pretty much win
    edited June 2013
    Do you have the +25% AP while unstoppable? with that, and dumping your Encounters during the unstoppable its pretty much win

If you mean that earlier feat, I think I went with 15% and put the other points into HP for extra survival, and it helps a lot. Yesterday in an epic I was the last one standing in a HUGE mob of adds, enough that I was able to res two buddies and get the party active again so we didn't have to spawn at the fire. 15% seems like enough to me, in terms of being moderate speed. Not ultra speed to get the dailies, but enough that it comes fast and gives me something to use while I crush. And when activated, my AP goes up faster too, so then it's a domino effect of destruction.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah being sentinel... the whole extra survival thing isnt really needed for me :-),
    edited June 2013
    Yeah being sentinel... the whole extra survival thing isnt really needed for me :-),

Yeah I could see that, though I haven't tried anything Sentinel, ever.
  • irk2013irk2013 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    alfinnete wrote: »
    English is not my first language.

Ok, I do not want to be raising positives or negatives, but developers urgently need to think of something really good for the GWF.

Most Guild are simply ignoring the class for PvP Dungeon and even more specifically in Dungeons, where the class is viable TR + DC + CW, the GF was again interesting by threat and even more after buf dps unnecessary.

Maybe they could improve the sets since they do not know what to do with the class, or delete it at once (ironic)

This is a reality that is happening on my server, my guild and tries to keep as much lead GWF for dungeons, but the time it takes is much larger and not won in almost anything using a GWF in lieu of any other class .

If you suck at PvP with your GWF you need to reroll or learn to play. I find that in PvP it is the single most amazing class now, and I fear no class and know I have a good shot of winning 1v1.

Dungeons well I do most damage almost every single dungeon not our fault some people still have this stigma about our class.

The BIGGEST issue with GWF's are the number of players who HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PLAY THE CLASS.. I see this all the time in PvP and dungeons... The class is in a decent place and not as BROKEN like you think it is.
    edited June 2013
    irk2013 wrote: »
    If you suck at PvP with your GWF you need to reroll or learn to play. I find that in PvP it is the single most amazing class now, and I fear no class and know I have a good shot of winning 1v1.

Dungeons well I do most damage almost every single dungeon not our fault some people still have this stigma about our class.

The BIGGEST issue with GWF's are the number of players who HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PLAY THE CLASS.. I see this all the time in PvP and dungeons... The class is in a decent place and not as BROKEN like you think it is.

All of this. Mor pls.
  • torquedsoultorquedsoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

This what I'm thinking. I just started playing a GWF recently and it actually feels overpowered. I always get the most kills in a instance and I'm typically 1st or 2nd on damage (unless I am way underleveled compared to the rest of the party). I worry if people ask for more buffs and get them, they will turn the class into a bore to play. Right now its the fastest craziest class I've played and when I get into a groove its totally immersive. This class has a great deal of synergy and I think that style of play has a big impact on its effectiveness. People who just want to swing the sword are missing the point. there is a lot more going here.

I cant speak for the general hate that people give the class but it is easily the most enjoyable to play.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I do more damage than your regular rogue, I do huge debuffs with my feats and plaguefire, I can tank with immunity for a good 5 second + soulforged while doing tons of damage. Why would people not want me? This new patch was amazing, people needs to get better but keep whining so I can be alot stronger than what I am now.
  • belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Nah, you misunderstood. Getting aggro isn't a particular problem if you hit first. Hit a mob first, and you can keep aggro. Hit him second? Not likely still.(without a good enchantment.) There is still no additional threat component to our AoE abilities except the shout system. Unless I'm mistaken, slam isn't a shout ergo the 100% threat bonus doesn't apply.

Note, I'm not taking into consideration the time to kill the mob. Simply threat mechanics. When certain people stop casting abilities, ya, sure; easy to peel them off.
  • adoniss1adoniss1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes i do hope the help this class out,they do seem to lack the punch that other classes seem to put out.Aoe damage should be this classes best dps,and also be able to use the three choices to go more aoe, isgle damage and off tankage.BTW what would folks say are the three best sets atm? i am building a gwf now and with the outragous pirces , i want to start saving up?
  • theliethesametheliethesame Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    th0rfinn wrote: »
    I do more damage than your regular rogue, I do huge debuffs with my feats and plaguefire, I can tank with immunity for a good 5 second + soulforged while doing tons of damage. Why would people not want me? This new patch was amazing, people needs to get better but keep whining so I can be alot stronger than what I am now.

immunity through passive ?Because you just proved how little you know about the class.
    edited June 2013
    belladan wrote: »
    Nah, you misunderstood. Getting aggro isn't a particular problem if you hit first. Hit a mob first, and you can keep aggro. Hit him second? Not likely still.(without a good enchantment.) There is still no additional threat component to our AoE abilities except the shout system. Unless I'm mistaken, slam isn't a shout ergo the 100% threat bonus doesn't apply.

Note, I'm not taking into consideration the time to kill the mob. Simply threat mechanics. When certain people stop casting abilities, ya, sure; easy to peel them off.

The cleric aggro reduction has made the GWF more effective. Hitting first is the GWF's forte. I use bravery and I also use feats to slow the consumption of stamina. That allows me to run around quickly and wack things.

In cases where I am rescuing the cleric, a quick roar and a not so fast and they come after me. I'm still not at level 60 but I think the mechanic will still generally be the same. In a worse case scenerio I will just put myself between the mob and the cleric and keep swinging. So far it seems to work. You need to have good reflexes and control of your position while sprinting but it can be done.

I find when my slam is active minions and standard mobs generally get wiped out and I do attract the attention of any free elite mob. I like to start the slam at the beginning of a fight ... it basically acts as the first hit. The recharge on the AP is so fast that I almost always have it available.
  • irk2013irk2013 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    adoniss1 wrote: »
    Yes i do hope the help this class out,they do seem to lack the punch that other classes seem to put out.Aoe damage should be this classes best dps,and also be able to use the three choices to go more aoe, isgle damage and off tankage.BTW what would folks say are the three best sets atm? i am building a gwf now and with the outragous pirces , i want to start saving up?

Yet another player who has no clue how to play the GWF..... It is so sad these people exist.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    immunity through passive ?Because you just proved how little you know about the class.

This commentary makes you look really good. Teach me your ways.
  • adoniss1adoniss1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yet another player who has no clue how to play the GWF..... It is so sad these people exist.

irk2013 because i ask a question and ask a class opion,doesnt give you the right to say i dont exist,you should maybe list your gwf name so you can be judged on your build.Before opening your mouth and have something negative to say,why make a rude comment unless you yourself think you know all bout this class,i can tell you dispite what you may think you know bout any particular,i have found it always good to share helpful discussions.Yet another player who has no clue how to play the GWF..... It is so sad these people exist.
  • theliethesametheliethesame Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    th0rfinn wrote: »
    This commentary makes you look really good. Teach me your ways.

There is no logical way to comment your post. Luckily for all, you pointed you use Steel Defense for dps purposes (even tanking) early, so noone can or will take you seriously.
    edited June 2013
    Although i disagree of the method of relaying the information. I have to agree with the above poster, aside from a few distinct scenarios, there are WAY better passives than "Steel Defense"
    edited June 2013
    adoniss1 wrote: »
    irk2013 because i ask a question and ask a class opion,doesnt give you the right to say i dont exist,you should maybe list your gwf name so you can be judged on your build.Before opening your mouth and have something negative to say,why make a rude comment unless you yourself think you know all bout this class,i can tell you dispite what you may think you know bout any particular,i have found it always good to share helpful discussions.Yet another player who has no clue how to play the GWF..... It is so sad these people exist.

Insults aside ... I'm concerned that people who haven't figured the class out yet are asking for buffs. The fun thing about this class is that it requires a great deal of timing, battlefield management and good old fashion console style reflexes. If that isn't your style of play then there are other classes. I've played every class but a rogue at this point and the GWF is by far the most entertaining. Not because its easy but because its effectiveness has more to do with your reflexes and battlefield strategy rather than basic configuration (although configuration helps once you figure out how you are going to play it.)

GWF is, in my understanding, a defender class. If you try to play it like a striker then you will be disappointed.
    edited June 2013
    Although i disagree of the method of relaying the information. I have to agree with the above poster, aside from a few distinct scenarios, there are WAY better passives than "Steel Defense"

I agree. Defense should be in your gear and should be the least of your concern in powers and feats. In group play the cleric will compensate for the lack of defense (as well as the temp HP) my gear is angled towards power, defense and recovery with a little armor penetration and deflection thrown in for good measure. my powers are geared towards control and AoE and my feats and passives are geared towards damage enhancement (crit and damage buffs) and mobility.
  • slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've played every class but DC and so far GWF is my favorite. Being able to charge into a swarm of enemies, hold them off my group, and kill them all in the process is rather fun. My overall damage output is better than most, but I think it really comes down to skill and style with GWF. The latest buff helped quite a bit. But I'm only level 58, so maybe I'll think differently later? I'll just have to find out.

Previous to the latest balance patch, GWF did seem a bit underpowered, but still fun to play. Now, they are feeling a bit more on par. The single target strikes don't do enough damage for how great they look, though.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Pulling agro off the cleric has been easy but near impossible to pulling agro off the TR or CW. IMO Sent specced GWF's need an on demand hard taunt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • judicasjudicas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Insults aside ... I'm concerned that people who haven't figured the class out yet are asking for buffs. The fun thing about this class is that it requires a great deal of timing, battlefield management and good old fashion console style reflexes. If that isn't your style of play then there are other classes. I've played every class but a rogue at this point and the GWF is by far the most entertaining. Not because its easy but because its effectiveness has more to do with your reflexes and battlefield strategy rather than basic configuration (although configuration helps once you figure out how you are going to play it.)

GWF is, in my understanding, a defender class. If you try to play it like a striker then you will be disappointed.

There in lies the problem, when the game launched they were not billed as a defender, and as a pure defender they honestly suck.
    they are an off tank that was per the wiki a DPS that could off tank, I've had mine since closed beta, I've watched them go from where they should be, to completely worthless, to sub par. Right now they are still sub par. It is not a pure damage boost we need, more of an effectiveness that we need. GWF are not needed in dungeons, bring along a CW for control + better aoe. Bring along a GF for a crapton better tanking. Bring along a TR for boss murder. As long as our hits are capped at 5 targets and we don't bring anything else to the table besides limited aoe dps we will be sub par. While sometimes I do pug and i feel like a god vs some of the other classes i remember to take a look at their gear.... then i look at how much I'm out damaging them by. Yes i might be getting 4-8 million more dps but then again im **** near fully enchanted out with AoW and Vigilant sets, I have 3 ancient swords just so i can swap em out and do the best i can all with different enchants depending on what is needed.. Yet they with T-1 gear can do not to much less damage than me. I have to try and burn everything, keep on top of my game, glitch/cancel animations to be effective(yes this is a bug and hopefully will be fixed just so people shut up about it), and god forbid if a CW or DC wants to punt stuff around.

While yes it is rather fun to have all of this, if you bring it to another class you will excel to even greater heights than a GWF can hope to achieve. While i do not want a pure out damage buff, i would like stuff like uncapped targets (stupid idea for the aoe class to have them capped to begin with) Unstopable unlocking different abilities within our skills as i believe spacejew did a write up on. And above all less reliance on bringing a CW that wants to gimp himself to help out a GWF.