test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Characater Name Duplication Messed up.

ironmasherironmasher Member Posts: 18
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have just met a guy in a pvp instance that has the same name as me. Besides the fact that it is an awkward thing... it also confuses people and makes my ego jump off a rooftop.

My character names is Gambit and the other person's name is GambiT (capital T)...

I think i speak for all when i say that noone likes copycats and people that play with same name.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ummm...there can be 100 gambits in the game. You can have the same name as another person, it is only your @handle that is exclusive to you.

This allows many people to have a name they like, just as in real life there may be 4 Michaels or 4 Lisas who work at one place.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    Your full name is YourCharacterName@YourPlayerAccountName - it's not only the first part floating above your character's head.
    People new to Cryptic chat system are constantly making this mistake because on default setting chat displays only character names, cutting account handles.
    His name is legit.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If a game had a billion people in it that may be fine but that's not the case here... I wouldn't like running into this guy to often.. and for "Example" if a dude using the same name is a trash talking troll... that makes a fool of himself everywhere... would you like people confusing you with him/her?
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When people ignore a player it ignores the @handle.

I found this a welcome change from other games. I made a new char recently on a game that has been around for a wrong time and the name is all sorts of ridiculous because everything else is taken. I like it this way. Also, why a billion people? My daughters class as school has 4 Elizabeths, lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's problem only for people who have account name display turned off in chat options.
    Cryptic used this system in every of their games starting from City of Heroes. It's unlikely to change.

Turn on account names in chat options. It's really not Cryptic fault that people don't know how to use game UI. Well, probably this should be in game FAQ. It's a feature rather unique for Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You both have a good point of view. The thing about old games having retired people with "already used" names is indeed a downside. A good ideea would be to eliminate users inactive for more then 2-3 months... but that is a whole other matter... Turning on account names changes the appereance and makes it "alright"
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm curious how you handle real life. LOL This seems to be the silliest thing to worry about.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    His concern was pretty valid, considering that NW has player driven chat ban system. ;)
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    I'm curious how you handle real life. LOL This seems to be the silliest thing to worry about.
    Are you 18? Do you have ID yet? There are some numbers on it. Thats how they handle it irl.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's problem only for people who have account name display turned off in chat options.
    Cryptic used this system in every of their games starting from City of Heroes. It's unlikely to change.

No, City of Heroes didn't have this system, names were unique there.

It's really a problem without a solution. If you do it this way, then some people are unhappy because their names aren't unique. You do it the old way, then some people are unhappy that they can't get the name they want.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    rodostorodosto Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is D&D world. Unique names is not an option.

They just need to block some legendary names like "Drizzt do'Urden etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Are you 18? Do you have ID yet? There are some numbers on it. Thats how they handle it irl.

ID is not required, so no I don't have numbers. And that is not how 'he' handles it. You know there is another person with your name out there first and last most likely. Do you really care? I know I don't. This idea of I'm a unique snowflake is silly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    ID is not required, so no I don't have numbers. And that is not how 'he' handles it. You know there is another person with your name out there first and last most likely. Do you really care? I know I don't. This idea of I'm a unique snowflake is silly.

You seem to be an angry little fella. You've shared you're opinion on how you feel about it. There's no need to be a smartass now. This is the first D&D game i play so i am used with the old system that doesn't allow name duplicity.
  • Options
    shefenhowshefenhow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    ironmasher wrote: »
    I think i speak for all when i say that noone likes copycats and people that play with same name.

Because neither of you were copying the name from anywhere else, that's marvelous!

Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shefenhow wrote: »
    Because neither of you were copying the name from anywhere else, that's marvelous!

Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

You have a point here. I realise it's not unique, but personaly i have used this name for most of the games i've played in the past couple of years.

But keep in mind that every name is inspired from something or somewhere so it's close to impossible to have a unique name
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This thread is uniquely pants :p
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maybe he had the name first and you are the infringer. Would you be willing to give the name up if this was the case?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You seem to be an angry little fella. You've shared you're opinion on how you feel about it. There's no need to be a smartass now. This is the first D&D game i play so i am used with the old system that doesn't allow name duplicity.

You seem angry that I retorted, but now you insist I should shut up? This is not about D&D. And every cryptic game so far has used this system. Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and now this one.

By the way, you can chat with your friends in the other games as well in any of those three games. You can also enable to see the @names.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    His concern was pretty valid, considering that NW has player driven chat ban system. ;)

His concern is valid? He doesn't like copycats yet he is copying a trademarked name?

Very amusing
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    But keep in mind that every name is inspired from something or somewhere so it's close to impossible to have a unique name

This is of course absurd
  • Options
    nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    This is of course absurd

Indeed. Even in games with duplication filters, I rarely had to think up more than one name... And was usually very surprised when I did have to.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Maybe he had the name first and you are the infringer. Would you be willing to give the name up if this was the case?

Me and that fella had a little talk and it turned out he had just started playing here. But yes if it was the other way around i would probably be willing to re-roll... not the case anymore since this is how the game system works and we just have to get used to it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    His concern is valid? He doesn't like copycats yet he is copying a trademarked name?

Very amusing

Of course your first thought would be that i copied marvel's character from X-men, yet this name has several other meanings.
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Says the guy with the name of an extremely popular comicbook character...
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    manholio wrote: »
    Says the guy with the name of an extremely popular comicbook character...

But, I like to pretend I'm Gambit from Marvel running around in a D&D setting. Instead of using sword I use Charged cards of Kinetic Energy to throw at my enemies.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    smokey158smokey158 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My name is not unique, its a nickname given to me by family and friends. I use this name because it means something to me, it wouldn't bother me if there was 100 people with the name Smokey running around Neverwinter.
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    But, I like to pretend I'm Gambit from Marvel running around in a D&D setting. Instead of using sword I use Charged cards of Kinetic Energy to throw at my enemies.

They need to implement a claw weapon for Rogues. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Certain names for sure, should not be allowed. For example, I named my Half-Orc GWF Gruumsh. I kind of liked the name and knew I had heard it somewhere, but wasn't sure where. It wasn't till later I realized I was now named after the patron deity of orcs. Kind of funny, but not a name that should have been allowed :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ego? :confused: How odd.

Anyway, that other guy didn't even have to use a capital T - if we were in a game with unique names, that's how he would have gotten around it. Or G
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ok let me clear the air once and for all. My character's name has nothing to do with X-men. The word Gambit can be considered and expresion for "deception" "trickery" "deviousness" etc... which seemed to be a good name given to a Rogue.

Can we end this pointless subject now?