test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Characater Name Duplication Messed up.

2»

Comments

• dirtyhookdirtyhook Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You're complaining that someone is using the same name as you which you took from a well known comic book character? Aren't you the copy cat as well?
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ironmasher wrote: »
    Ok let me clear the air once and for all. My character's name has nothing to do with X-men. The word Gambit can be considered and expresion for "deception" "trickery" "deviousness" etc... which seemed to be a good name given to a Rogue.

Can we end this pointless subject now?

It was pointless when you posted it other then "I wanna be the only Gambit...wahhh!"
  • nwroguenwrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh noes, someone has your original name! I'm sorry to hear about that :(((((
    Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here is the thing. A name, no matter the system, is never going to be truly unique. Whats more obnoxious. Having two Gambits. Or having one Gambit and dozen others with variations like xXXgambitXXx, 6am13it, or gambit123?

Personally, to me. Having two Gambits seems a lot less annoying.
  • ironmasherironmasher Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    People should stop jumping to the last page. We've already reached a conclusion. I got over it as soon as i realised you can put @account to your game name appereance if u activate it in settings. I recognized my absurd statement over "copycats" so why keep going with this? Let's move on.
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Certain names for sure, should not be allowed. For example, I named my Half-Orc GWF Gruumsh. I kind of liked the name and knew I had heard it somewhere, but wasn't sure where. It wasn't till later I realized I was now named after the patron deity of orcs. Kind of funny, but not a name that should have been allowed :D

Lol, clansman, I think I saw you (or some other half orc named Gruumsh) the other day and thought to myself "Boy, someone's parents had big expectations for him"
  • souleshasoulesha Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have just met a guy in a pvp instance that has the same name as me. Besides the fact that it is an awkward thing... it also confuses people and makes my ego jump off a rooftop.

My character names is Gambit and the other person's name is GambiT (capital T)...

I think i speak for all when i say that noone likes copycats and people that play with same name.

Next time your ego wants to jump, let it go ;) Gambit is an extremely well known name/word. It's a chess move, it's the name of an x-man, etc. I sincerely doubt you were the first person to use it in Neverwinter, or that you were "copied" by this pvp guy.

I know you want to let this thread drop (now that 4 pages worth of people have called you out)... but come on man... Get over yourself!
  • ironmasherironmasher Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    soulesha wrote: »
    Next time your ego wants to jump, let it go ;) Gambit is an extremely well known name/word. It's a chess move, it's the name of an x-man, etc. I sincerely doubt you were the first person to use it in Neverwinter, or that you were "copied" by this pvp guy.

I know you want to let this thread drop (now that 4 pages worth of people have called you out)... but come on man... Get over yourself!

This is absolutely pointless. I have rephrased my previous statement and i would delete it if possible. I never sad i was the one to use it first cause that would be completly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.. as for it's meaning i have already posted somewhere upper on the chat. But like i said... people simply skip the other pages without reading it's content and keep this thread going with things already discussed.

The only reason why i still answere this seems to be plain common sense cause i got nothing else in mind.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Keeps bumping his own thread/ blames other people for not letting it die.
    (scumbag Steve Meme goes here)
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So you're aware, you can purchase a rename token for 4,000 AD...no need to delete a character just for a rename.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have just met a guy in a pvp instance that has the same name as me. Besides the fact that it is an awkward thing... it also confuses people and makes my ego jump off a rooftop.

My character names is Gambit and the other person's name is GambiT (capital T)...

I think i speak for all when i say that noone likes copycats and people that play with same name.

You're an idiot.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    ID is not required, so no I don't have numbers. And that is not how 'he' handles it. You know there is another person with your name out there first and last most likely. Do you really care? I know I don't. This idea of I'm a unique snowflake is silly.

Actually if you are over 18 you are required by law in the US to carry ID.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

This is simply not true. Circumstances dictate when you need an ID to proceed in some fashion such as driving, flying, crossing borders but one walking down the street most certainly does not need an ID to do so
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Prove it by source, because I bet you can't. Only time you are required by law to have ID is while driving a motor vehicle. Otherwise not required by law.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If it's going to annoy you when others use the same name you pick, next time you make a character use your imagination instead of just copying a character's name from a popular comic book. Problem solved.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You both have a good point of view. The thing about old games having retired people with "already used" names is indeed a downside. A good ideea would be to eliminate users inactive for more then 2-3 months... but that is a whole other matter... Turning on account names changes the appereance and makes it "alright"

If i spend real cash on things for a char (outfit, bank space, bag space, companion etc) then I for some reason am in hospital a few months, sent overseas with the military, fall on hard times and have to ditch my internet for a while or any other reason that takes me out ot game for a few months I would NOT be a happy customer to return and find all that deleted.

This is a much better system. Everyone gets to use the name they want and everyone can tell who is who if they use the system properly.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You don't speak for all.

Nobody plays with the same name. All names are Name@Something, and the combination of Name@Something is what is unique.

This system makes it so you don't have to spend a huge amount of time making a new character because every name you want is already taken by someone else.

This isn't a big problem at the beginning of a game, but over time naming your character can be a huge hassle if the Name part has to be unique across the server.