test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role

Comments

• rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hi copticone

I only focus on controlling mobs popping up Singularity as fast as I can. Obviously more dps is better but where do you think I should aim my recovery to be? I understand DR starts at around 3k but despite that I want to go a bit over it until it really becomes very wasteful.

Also, which should I focus on as a secondary stat: Power, Crit or Armor Pen.

I am wearing a high vizier's set.

Thanks
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi copticone

I only focus on controlling mobs popping up Singularity as fast as I can. Obviously more dps is better but where do you think I should aim my recovery to be? I understand DR starts at around 3k but despite that I want to go a bit over it until it really becomes very wasteful.

Also, which should I focus on as a secondary stat: Power, Crit or Armor Pen.

I am wearing a high vizier's set.

Thanks

For Recovery, I don't think it is worth going over 3k if you're mainly doing PvE. Split second differences in cooldowns or even AP regen, is hardly the cause of party wipes.
    For offensive slots, I would never enchant Power. Whatever comes with your gear is enough. Having crit around 35% and ArP around 1000-1500 is very easy.
    With the recent update, the focus should now be on defensive stats. The obvious route is Defense. If you are using High Vizier, then shooting for 1500 Defense is pretty good. With the set bonus proccing you'll be close to 3k.
    I will also be experimenting with Life Steal. I think getting 10-15% Life Steal would help since we do a lot of Spike damage with our Steal Time and Shield Pulse. I will see how it plays out in practice though.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wow I tried this build today and it's much better than my previous thana build. I'm doing T2's a lot easier now.

Thanks for the guide
    edited June 2013
    assassin83 wrote: »
    Wow I tried this build today and it's much better than my previous thana build. I'm doing T2's a lot easier now.

Thanks for the guide

Thanks for the compliment. If you liked it after 1 day, wait a few days after you really get the hang of it. I don't think I can even consider any other build right now, or at least until some MAJOR changes take place, which I doubt will happen. By the far, it's the best CC, and the best AoE damage I experienced. Please share any new tweaks or ideas as you fool around with it.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hey Copticone, I've just rolled my very first wizard and I'm going to follow your guide :)

I've made a human with 18 INT, 16 CHA, 12 WIS (I hope that's ok).

I have 3 extra feat points to spend, but because I'm mostly a solo player, I've changed the feats a little bit:

3/3 Weapon Mastery
    2/3 Toughness
    2/5 Fight On
    3/3 Wizard's Wrath
    3/3 Blighting Power
    2/3 Arcane Mastery
    5/5 Learned Spellcaster
    3/3 Prestidigation

I dropped Focused Wizardry in favor of Learned Spellcaster. I figure, as a solo PvE player, my chances of hitting a single target with an AoE are pretty low (are there actually any monsters in this game that don't come with friends?).

Anyway, if you get the time, I'd really like to know what you think of this. Are there any changes you'd make to your build for more of a solo play style? Or does it work just fine for both solo and group play?

Thanks muchly.
    edited June 2013
    This build was really meant for T2 content, because it is focuses on mass CC and AoE dmg. I am not saying you can't solo with it. But then again, you can Solo a CW with any build. Your ability scores are fine, and you can not go wrong with Humans.
    Prestidigitation is actually the only bad feat, especially for someone leveling up since it won't amount to anything.
  • necronet1337necronet1337 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thanks for the guide. could you maybe post your name@handle sou i can check you gear with gateway?
    edited June 2013
    This build was really meant for T2 content, because it is focuses on mass CC and AoE dmg. I am not saying you can't solo with it. But then again, you can Solo a CW with any build. Your ability scores are fine, and you can not go wrong with Humans.
    Prestidigitation is actually the only bad feat, especially for someone leveling up since it won't amount to anything.

Aha! I will drop Prestidigation then and put the points into Focused Wizardry or maybe I'll spread them over the other feats. I'm still unsure about Focused Wizardry. As I said, I don't think I've ever seen a monster on his own, so I can't see hitting single targets with an AoE as very likely.

I'll be leveling solo, but when I hit 60 I might try grouping for dungeon runs. So I'm really hoping your build will serve me well for both purposes (I can't afford respecs).

Quick question: Did you level solo with this build? Or did you respec into it when you got to 60?

Anyway, big thanks for your reply and for this guide :)
    edited June 2013
    thanks for the guide. could you maybe post your name@handle sou i can check you gear with gateway?
    Haneekak@copticone
    klixan wrote: »
    Aha! I will drop Prestidigation then and put the points into Focused Wizardry or maybe I'll spread them over the other feats. I'm still unsure about Focused Wizardry. As I said, I don't think I've ever seen a monster on his own, so I can't see hitting single targets with an AoE as very likely.

I'll be leveling solo, but when I hit 60 I might try grouping for dungeon runs. So I'm really hoping your build will serve me well for both purposes (I can't afford respecs).

Quick question: Did you level solo with this build? Or did you respec into it when you got to 60?

Anyway, big thanks for your reply and for this guide :)

I think you're looking at the Wiki description of Focused Wizardry. Read the Tooltip in game.
    Even if it was just affecting 1 target, there are countless situations where there is only 1 mob, or 1 elite mob left and you want to throw some AoE on it for their effects. Even Solo, are you constantly killing ALL the mobs at the same exact moment? You never have a situation where one (usually the elite mob) is left standing?

No, I solo leveld 1-60 with a Renegade spec. After running a ton of T2s, a bit of testing, I settled on this build about 2 weeks before the last update.
    edited June 2013
    I think you're looking at the Wiki description of Focused Wizardry. Read the Tooltip in game.

You are absolutely right! I was getting my information from the skill calculator, which says Focused Wizardry only increases the damage of your AoE spells when they hit a single target.

The in-game description is quite different, it says all AoE spells deal more damage. This changes things dramatically, I will definitely be investing in this now. Thanks so much for catching that for me.
  • sirgreenreefersirgreenreefer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aoe feats only work for 2 spells tho...
    edited June 2013
    aoe feats only work for 2 spells tho...

For now true. I personally dont have points in it right now. Just got the extra health and maxed Fight On.
  • tommythebeast1tommythebeast1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Could you please add a picture of how you have your powers leveled or atleast make it clear what you level or what? use this i guess? also STEAL time not steel, steel is a kind of metal :)
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:2hwcg:5m9s,1000000:60000:60000:60000&h=0
    edited June 2013
    Could you please add a picture of how you have your powers leveled or atleast make it clear what you level or what? use this i guess? also STEAL time not steel, steel is a kind of metal :)
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:2hwcg:5m9s,1000000:60000:60000:60000&h=0

This is what I replied with a couple of pages back to the same question...

My intention was never to write a "guide". I was mainly sharing my personal build for running T2 content. This build really shines in End-game, when you have all your feats and such. Also I think you should experiment and try many things while leveling up. There are also actual "guides" that would help you sort things out as you are leveling up.
    That being said, the following are you powers you definitely want 3 points in:
    Magic Missile
    Chilling Cloud
    Chill Strike
    Entangling Force
    Conduit of Ice
    Storm Spell
    Steal Time
    Shield
    Singularity
    Ice Storm
    Ice Knife
    Chilling Presence
    Evocation
    Eye of the Storm
    Ray of Enfeeblement

The rest is up to you.
  • kalwrathkalwrath Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the great post!

How does this compare in DPS to the Renegade build from here?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?192572-The-Renegade-Control-Wizard-Stats-Feats-and-Powers-%28oh-my!%29
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sorry im being lazy, so i havent gone through all of this. but what arcane spells work currently with elemental empowerment?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited June 2013
    kalwrath wrote: »
    Thanks for the great post!

How does this compare in DPS to the Renegade build from here?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?192572-The-Renegade-Control-Wizard-Stats-Feats-and-Powers-%28oh-my!%29

I started running my build a week before the Renegade nerf, and even then I was easily seeing 10%-15% more damage. Since then I have tweaked a few things, got better at my rotation, and it's gotten even better. Regardless, the guide itself has good information.
    grimah wrote: »
    sorry im being lazy, so i havent gone through all of this. but what arcane spells work currently with elemental empowerment?

I think everything has been answered somewhere in this thread...but here it is again

Elemental Empowerment:

Ok bear in mind that you if do not have my build with the same feats, you may get different results. This is proven with EotS and other things. That said, the following procs Elemental Empowerment:

Cold Effect:-
    Chilling Cloud (On the third hit)
    Conduit of Ice

Arcane Effect:-
    Steel Time
    Shield Pulse
    Entangling Force
    Repel
    Ray of Enfeeblement!! (But in a seriously bugged way, as it looks like it's giving the target a buff, DONT use it)

So from the looks of it. Elemental Empowerment is AWESOME, specifically for this build.
  • schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nice guide, btw hows the life steal test going on? does it give good resultss stacking those?
    edited June 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    nice guide, btw hows the life steal test going on? does it give good resultss stacking those?

It's working pretty good, better than Defense for me. I only got about 1k lifesteal. Tomorrow I might work on getting another 1k. It should make a good bit of difference. Steal Time and Shield can give you the equivalent of a Pot. And everything else just keeps topping you off.
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    It's working pretty good, better than Defense for me. I only got about 1k lifesteal. Tomorrow I might work on getting another 1k. It should make a good bit of difference. Steal Time and Shield can give you the equivalent of a Pot. And everything else just keeps topping you off.

but for pvp, guess youd have to have another gear for it since lifesteal for CW isnt that much viable I think, cause of getting burst quickly
  • abzerothabzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    I know this might be silly, but can you put a screenshot of your POWERS and use that FEATS screenshot from teflondon as well, in your original post? There are so many pages to look through any updates/important posts you make :(

edit: what do you prefer with this build? power > crit > etc... thanks! Sorry if this was posted somewhere else!
  • necronet1337necronet1337 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what i dont like about this build - if you have like 10+ mobs on icy terrain, with CoI and shooting chilling cloud at them, the game FPS drops to like 0.5. anyone else has a problem with that?
    edited June 2013
    what i dont like about this build - if you have like 10+ mobs on icy terrain, with CoI and shooting chilling cloud at them, the game FPS drops to like 0.5. anyone else has a problem with that?

I dont have that problem at all. Lower some of your video settings, it may help.
    schulz87 wrote: »
    but for pvp, guess youd have to have another gear for it since lifesteal for CW isnt that much viable I think, cause of getting burst quickly

True, on single tartget Life Steal isn't all that amazing, but it is still better than Defense even in PvP since everyone and their mother has ArP stacked these days.
    abzeroth wrote: »
    I know this might be silly, but can you put a screenshot of your POWERS and use that FEATS screenshot from teflondon as well, in your original post? There are so many pages to look through any updates/important posts you make :(

edit: what do you prefer with this build? power > crit > etc... thanks! Sorry if this was posted somewhere else!

I am sorry Abzeroth, like I said a few times before, this is not a guide. It also not meant for someone rolling a new CW and want leveling advice and such. The build is meant for end game content where it will have a better impact. You can look up any of the other guides on this forum. Powers are pretty much universal. There are the core Powers that everyone need to get and then there are others that are just for fun or to fit your particular playstyle.
    It's good to read through the entire thread since there were many questions asked and answered. At this point, I can't go back and include all of it in the OP. My whole point was to just share my build with those who are already familiar with the ins and outs of the class and are running T2s.
  • procesproces Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was renegade build and after the patch changed to this build and I am very grateful for this. After trying this build CW gets a realy new meaning in game for me and I asked my self how I have done some things in leveling. Funy thing is that with this build I get more score in PVP too. Personaly I made best results with Icy rays( sloted)-Chill S.-CoI - RoE and nukeing with Chilling Clouds but eaven so it feels like something is missing (in pvp). Do you have any advice what to use in pvp?
    edited June 2013
    proces wrote: »
    I was renegade build and after the patch changed to this build and I am very grateful for this. After trying this build CW gets a realy new meaning in game for me and I asked my self how I have done some things in leveling. Funy thing is that with this build I get more score in PVP too. Personaly I made best results with Icy rays( sloted)-Chill S.-CoI - RoE and nukeing with Chilling Clouds but eaven so it feels like something is missing (in pvp). Do you have any advice what to use in pvp?

It's not the idea build for PvP. But maybe with the new 20man, it could be.

I think CoI on TAB is still very beneficial in PvP. You get extra tick. It really messes up with some people as they think it is some kind of AoE and try to dodge away lol. You build chill stacks, and debuff your target. You get a couple of our feats active, and Ice Knife will still slaughter anyone. You need either Shield or Repel slotted and know when to use them. You also need to master Teleport to have TRs/GWF waste their encounters. I stopped using RoE because it seems really bugged with Elemental Empowerment. Also make use of Ray of Frost to build a few stacks before throwing CoI. That way you can freeze them initially, then when they come at you you still have EF. When EF is on Cooldown, Repel/Shield Pulse.
  • procesproces Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I stopped using RoE because it seems really bugged with Elemental Empowermen.

So for Frozen / Dread and in general what would be suitable substitute for RoE?
    edited June 2013
    proces wrote: »
    So for Frozen / Dread and in general what would be suitable substitute for RoE?

For Frozen, I use Icy Rays on TAB instead of CoI, because I dont want to accidentally draw the aggro of the mob train. CoI, Chill Strike and shield in the rest.

For Dread, if there are two CWs and I am 100% boss duty, then same as above. Otherwise, if I need to focus more on adds, I switch Chill Strike for Repel (specifically for the Thunes)
  • rakthulrakthul Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Tried turning down physicals debris?
    Options -> Video -> Details -> Use slider for "Max Physical Debris objects".
    Since icy terrain spawns loads of small objects that constantly needs to be rendered i'd be guessing this would be your issue with ice spells.
    edited June 2013
    Another TIP:

Another good tip for any CW regardless of the build/spec.

/gfxsetdefaultfov 90

IMO It makes you much more aware of your surroundings.
    edited June 2013
    Is the guide for t2 dungeon still updated with the latest patch? so on clearing mobs its COI tab, icy, stealtime, shield, on boss fights usually just swap COI with EF?
This discussion has been closed.