test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character history is deleted

vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
So... in this new layout after the patch, there is no "save" button after one saves his character's history. When you enter it, you can do nothing more. Once you enter it, you can change the tabs of the character sheet, or close it altogether, and it will remain as is. After a while it dissappears. It seems to be reset with every logout and character change.

Also, apparently HTML editing doesn't work.
kallethen wrote: »
Also a bug: We used to be able to use the HTML tag to create hyperlinks in character histories, they don't work now. :(

IMPORTANT: To all of you that haven't checked your history yet
If you had a bio written for your character. DO NOT go to your history tab in your character sheet! Go to your portrait and inspect yourself. Your bio should still be there. Copy your bio word for word into a text file and save it.

The reason: the moment you go to your history tab for the first time since the new patch. Your bio will reset instantly.

This is because they moved the bio from your character sheet to make it have its own tab. This move seems to cause a wipe/reset of your original bio if you've had one.

So in short, if you've had a bio. Do not be curious and go to your history tab to see it. Just inspect yourself and your bio will still be there. Take that time to retype it into a text file and save it while you can.
Post edited by vheraun on

Comments

• xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    i almost raged after my history was gone... good thing i could barely remember all of it. now i have a backup txt.file xD

but please fix this asap!
  • vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bump, same here. It was annoying to lose the wall of text I had so carefully created. Well, I did remember most of it too. Anyway, in need of a fix.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And all your alts have same history....
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2013
    Wat O_O

Hadn't even noticed that...
  • healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And all your alts have same history....

Can't verify this because I don't have an alt yet, but...

NOOOOOooooooo....... ;____;

My character's biography!!! Cryptic, what have you done?!

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, writing down your character's bio in the character creation screen is moot. It NEVER saved!
    edited June 2013
    Wat O_O

Hadn't even noticed that...

But don't worry, it's gone after you log out/switch character/sing kumbayah. For good.
    :confused:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited June 2013
    Llllovely. Sorry, we need a dev over here...
    edited June 2013
    Bump, still an issue.
  • zekvrylzekvryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same issue.
    8ApJ6Qkl.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Why even change the character bio/history thing? It was working just fine. Well, way better that it is now.
  • geoffnukemgeoffnukem Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I also have the same problem.

Last night I created a new character (my first) and entered the history bio. Then once I began the game I noticed the history bio I entered weren't there, as if there wasn't one in the first place. I then re-entered the bio and it worked fine until I logged on tonight and it had gone again. Also just a minute ago, I'd just created a simple Bio, something like "[coming soon]", as a place-holder. I then logged off and logged back on again straight after and bio had gone. Its as if it isn't being saved at all.

Hope me sharing this helps to identify the problem. :-)
    edited June 2013
    Bump, we need a solution for this...
  • kongemstarkongemstar Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same - history is the same for all characters.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you had a bio written for your character. DO NOT go to your history tab in your character sheet! Go to your portrait and inspect yourself. Your bio should still be there. Copy your bio word for word into a text file and save it.

The reason: the moment you go to your history tab for the first time since the new patch. Your bio will reset instantly.

This is because they moved the bio from your character sheet to make it have its own tab. This move seems to cause a wipe/reset of your original bio if you've had one.

So in short, if you've had a bio. Do not be curious and go to your history tab to see it. Just inspect yourself and your bio will still be there. Take that time to retype it into a text file and save it while you can.
  • bonkmonster17bonkmonster17 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fix this please, doing the same for me.
  • kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also a bug: We used to be able to use the HTML tag to create hyperlinks in character histories, they don't work now. :(
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    kallethen wrote: »

Sir/Ma'am, thank you very much for your sig. I'm looking forward for the tag fix! :D
    edited June 2013
    Thanks everybody, destinyknight and kallethen, I'm adding your inputs in the original post.
    edited June 2013
    vheraun wrote: »
    Thanks everybody, destinyknight and kallethen, I'm adding your inputs in the original post.

No problem. I noticed this last night when somone in one of my characters guild noticed this. I always made it a habit to inspect myself when viewing my bio. And then realized other people suddenly had that happen as well. Mine was still there. I went over to the new history tab and poof. My bio suddenly vanished. I had typed my bio out from inspecting it earlier just incase that very thing happened and it did.

I also went on a seperate character and he had my other characters bio (which had showed to had been wiped). So its a very odd situation with that switch they did to bios.
    edited June 2013
    Bump, we need this fixed...
    edited June 2013
    Alrighty, I believe we've exhausted the number of roleplayers that linger in the bug forums. Anyway, bumping again.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really dont fancy having to re-enter my histories every time I log a character on, but I guess it's that or forget that history exists!
    edited June 2013
    Yup, it's more than a nuisance... Come on devs.
  • thulkoththulkoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    bump
    Just noticed this today. Please fix soon.
    edited June 2013
    Rrrrrebump.
    edited June 2013
    Really dont fancy having to re-enter my histories every time I log a character on, but I guess it's that or forget that history exists!

stop going to your history tab and you wont have to re-enter. At least until this gets fixed. Put whatever your going to write in the first time, or edit the text file you should have of your bio and copy and paste it in.

On frequent occasion your bio will wipe just by going to your history tab to look at it.

If you want to look at your bio, view it from inspecting your character portrait.
  • s4pp3rs4pp3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OMG Cryptic WTF have you done!?

I had large bios on 2 of my characters, both now gone... Didn't see this thread first :-(

BUMP
  • lurksnomorelurksnomore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vheraun wrote: »
    Alrighty, I believe we've exhausted the number of roleplayers that linger in the bug forums. Anyway, bumping again.

Not quite yet! I, too, lost character history. Annoying! It's a minor issue in that it doesn't hurt gameplay... but this is a RPG, and I'd like it if interested people could see who my character is and why she's come to Neverwinter.
  • manjarowolfiemanjarowolfie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had just checked my bio in weeks yesterday(I was actually planning to save it for Tabletop D&D), and I find that my characters bio had been wiped clean, without even looking at the History tab; I clicked inspect on the portrait. Checked my main and the same happened to him. Do you know how hard(not really that hard) it is to come up with a nearly compelling backstory for your character??

"Just don't check your History tab"

For some, that's like installing nitro on my car and telling me not to use it. Why add it if this problem could've occurred?? This should have been tested. I didn't make a text copy because I didn't think I would need to. They said no wipes. If they were still doing them, I'd have totally backed them up. I spent about 30 minutes on both, writing up what seemed to be a short 3-4 paragraph autobiography for them and now they're gone. forever. It was already hard enough to do so the second time with the wipe from closed beta on my first character. I don't have photographic memory. These things just come to me. Now I have to somehow recreate that well-crafted story for my origins in the game. I now have to try to remember as much accurate detail as I can possible so that i can remake them. My Drow and Tiefling won't be pleased to know that they are just generic random vagrants now. It's not a major issue, but like someone else said above: from a role-playing perspective, this is a true bummer....
  • miorummiorum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just for emphasis - I, too, have this problem. For a roleplaying game, I am not seeing a lot of tools to properly play a role - emotes are clunky (or horridly written: <name> Sit> and now I can't even have a History. :(