((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role

Comments

• Options
    bolondronbolondron Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    @ttnuge and @bolondron

My advice is to run some T2s...

Ok, that's cool, thanks for all the effort in putting this together. Good to hear about ArP. I am switching to this spec tonight when I get home, I'll see what happens and maybe come back here and comment. I am optimistic about it for sure.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hi copt

Ty for the guide, very interesting food for thought.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @jalfrey same as I said before. Use specific enchants after you have played around a bit with the build and run some T2s after the lastest update. My guess is you will find that survivability, not your damage, is what's going to be the issue.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    UPDATE: Learned Spellcaster

I tested it today and respecced into it after I saw that it does indeed add a flat 5% to your damage.
  • Options
    azarian3azarian3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how does your damage compare to rogues? what's your opinion on bitter cold vs nightmare wizardry?
  • Options
    verynaughtyverynaughty Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What is your current feat build now after your changes?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    azarian3 wrote: »
    how does your damage compare to rogues? what's your opinion on bitter cold vs nightmare wizardry?

I prefer Bitter Cold. With this build It's pretty much a permanent 5% damage. Nightmare wizardry first of all is a RNG feat. You first need to crit (35% maybe for your average joe), then after that you have a 20% to proc. It is a good feat, but I think it is a better fit for a Renegade spec. Second, how can you tell that when it procs you didn't have combat advantage to begin with on some targets? I think alot of the times it is redundant. It may or may not yield more than 5% more damage. I just prefer guarantees.

With regards to rogues, we obviously shouldnt be compared. They cant touch our AoE damage, and we cant dream of their Single Target dps. If you are referring to the damage score card. It's often a yoyo. While on trash or a fight with lots of adds, you would pull ahead, then a boss fight comes where all we need to do is burn it down, and the TR can bounce back up. But after playing a CW for so long, you can really manipulate the damage score for the sake of bragging rights. There are obviously certain rotations/"tactics" that will generate more damage than normal, but may pissoff whoever you are running with.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What is your current feat build now after your changes?

I updated the OP with the changes after the recent patch. Look for the areas where I wrote UPDATE thought the post.
  • Options
    apathy87apathy87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    UPDATE: Learned Spellcaster

I tested it today and respecced into it after I saw that it does indeed add a flat 5% to your damage.

I was just wondering which feats you took these 5 points from as it has not been updated in your OP.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    apathy87 wrote: »
    I was just wondering which feats you took these 5 points from as it has not been updated in your OP.

Cheers

It's really up to you. The last 3 heroic tiers are about adding damage. You're not going to make or break this build based on these 5 points. On top of that, Cryptic can't make up its mind on what is considered AoE vs Dot vs Normal damage vs Control spells.
    I personally took them out of Focused Wizardry and Arcane enhancement.
  • Options
    ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nub question ... (never have tried the thaum tree before past tier1). The bonus damage that Frozen Power Transfer feat grants for 8sec works just for chilling cloud itself, or for any power the wizard uses in this 8 seconds? I guess the later from the feat tooltip, as it states that is "reset" when you cast the third hit of chilling cloud again.

That brings me to another question before I decide to invest on the feat, reset means that "ends" the 8 second bonus buff or that it refreshes the duration of the buff (to 8 seconds again then)

Thanks you ;-)
  • Options
    ttnugettnuge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is there a list anywhere on a wiki or someplace that list when.diminishing returns.for each stat really kick in? Currently sitting at the following stats and trying to figure out where to go with my enchantments for the biggest bang for my buck. Mostly concerned about the offensive stats even though I'm not trying to top the damage charts.

Power: 3785
    Crit: 1713
    ArPen: 301
    Recovery: 2456
    Defense: 963
    Deflect: 565

Does it pay to boost my recovery even higher or am I already into.the land where DR doesnt make it worth it?
  • Options
    ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArQraPDl2LqgdG5sT1JPRFlQeHFXdmR3NHFGeTNzZHc#gid=2

In this video you can see the figures of other stats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4KdpzlbqU

Summing up, heavy diminishg returns start to kick in for recovery@3000-3500 , critical@2000 ... Power has linear returns so no DR, but is not so good stat overall pointgain wise, you need to invest big ammounts to be worthwhile. Anyways is always wellcome, but better to hit the softcap on recovery and crit first. Deflect is not good, defense is nice after recovery depending on your build or playstyle, but the usual thing is recovery>crit> else in any order up to your preferences/gear
  • Options
    bolondronbolondron Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, so I just got off a series of 3 runs of Karrundax with this build. Keep in mind I am not a very experienced player, I am just getting into T2's.

My first impressions: Good god what have I done, this build is not for me.. wtf is going on I am dead again

My second impressions: I'm being mobbed by the ******* adds all the &^%#in time.. this build might not be for me

My impressions now: This build is brilliant, I love it and will keep it.

So at first, just as you predicted I had major problems with survivability. Big problems. The area-effect nature of all the attacks means you literally have to be in the middle of everything all the time, which means overlapping red zones and just mobs of adds around your toon. I guess this means the Vizier set with its defense is a must for this playstyle. I on the other hand, was running a combination of 2-piece Vizier and 2-piece Magelord from an earlier attempt to pump up my attack stats. Did not have any health gear, very cheap defense enchants and the 2 points in toughness I thought I'd be clever and I put instead into the AP feat. Major issues staying alive ensued. Also, to say that a rotation of all-area attacks takes some getting used to is an understatement.

Surprisingly though, in spite of having died several times during the dungeon itself, I did not die in the boss fight, in fact I did kind of well, and I came out of the first run and went to AH ready to give the build a more solid shot. Invested ~200k into finishing the Vizier set, got a good belt swapped some power runes for recovery runes, upgraded defense runes, put in some armor pen, and did another respec, this time put not two but the whole three points into Toughness.

The difference in the second run was day to night. Not only from the difference in stats, but also I eventually got used to the attack rotation and settled into a rhythm of drop areas, dodge, drop cloud, dodge, daily, pop shield, dodge, drop areas, dodge and so on, which means I'm constantly moving at all times and usually out of the red even before it gets laid down.

AP gets refilled FAST - at first I was disappointed because as a Renegade I was used to seeing the die almost fill after a single Singularity + Shield, while with this set up this gives you just a third or so. However, a few seconds of dropping areas and dodging after I would get disappointed at the shield, I would hear the gong and realize I was at full AP again. Really cool.

Well I don't want to drag on but just wanna say the following two runs and boss fights were the smoothest easiest Karrundax I've done yet. Also really fun to constantly be moving around and just laying destruction and black holes all over the place without worrying about staying locked onto a single target.

Again thanks for this, was really helpful and introduced me to a new style of playing a CW. Will be checking back for any future updates for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bolondron wrote: »
    Ok, so I just got off a series of 3 runs of Karrundax with this build. Keep in mind I am not a very experienced player, I am just getting into T2's.

My first impressions: Good god what have I done, this build is not for me.. wtf is going on I am dead again

My second impressions: I'm being mobbed by the ******* adds all the &^%#in time.. this build might not be for me

My impressions now: This build is brilliant, I love it and will keep it.

So at first, just as you predicted I had major problems with survivability. .....

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad you are enjoying it. Just one comment about your initial 2 impressions. It really has to do more with the recent changes than actually the build itself. After the update, CWs are getting a TON more aggro. Astral Shield can't be up 100% so everyone is getting banged up pretty good. But you are right, with this build, survivability is the biggest issue because of all the AoE damage you are creating.
    ttnuge wrote: »
    Is there a list anywhere on a wiki or someplace that list when.diminishing returns.for each stat really kick in? Currently sitting at the following stats and trying to figure out where to go with my enchantments for the biggest bang for my buck. Mostly concerned about the offensive stats even though I'm not trying to top the damage charts.

Power: 3785
    Crit: 1713
    ArPen: 301
    Recovery: 2456
    Defense: 963
    Deflect: 565

Does it pay to boost my recovery even higher or am I already into.the land where DR doesnt make it worth it?

Looking at these numbers, I am assume one of two things. Either you're not geared well yet, or you don't have a Cat/Ion Stone companion. Even before Enchantments, if you are in any T2 set and your Cat/Ion Stone is relatively well stocked too, you should have a lot higher stats than that.
    Just to give you an idea on how to balance things. Your crit is probably about 1000 too low. ArP could get at least another 800. Recovery could be another 600-800 more.
    ramiau wrote: »
    Nub question ... (never have tried the thaum tree before past tier1). The bonus damage that Frozen Power Transfer feat grants for 8sec works just for chilling cloud itself, or for any power the wizard uses in this 8 seconds? I guess the later from the feat tooltip, as it states that is "reset" when you cast the third hit of chilling cloud again.

That brings me to another question before I decide to invest on the feat, reset means that "ends" the 8 second bonus buff or that it refreshes the duration of the buff (to 8 seconds again then)

Thanks you ;-)

Yes it applies the bonus to damage on any Power you use. And yes, the 3rd hit of chilling cloud "Refreshes" the 8 seconds.
  • Options
    burrstaburrsta Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    in defense slot u guys go defense or hp enchantment?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    burrsta wrote: »
    in defense slot u guys go defense or hp enchantment?

Because a DC's heals are pretty linear, a CW will benefit a lot more from Defense. What's the point of having an extra 2-3k Health, when during the course of a fight, the healer cant burst heal you to top you off? Much better to have a constant damage resistance applied to all the damage you take. That's IMHO.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just for kicks and because I know many people still have doubts about the effectiveness of Chilling Cloud, I decided to just do some very basic math just to put things in perspective.

The following was done with an Orb of the Spirit Cave without any enchants. No Cat/Ion Stone. Without any set bonuses that buff damage or debuff targets.

* Feats that affect BOTH Chilling Cloud AND Magic Missiles are NOT included in this calculation (i.e. Storm Spell, Learned Spellcaster)
    ** Elemental Empowerment procs on the third hit of Chilling Cloud so it is a permanent boost to Full Rounds of Chilling Cloud.
    *** I may have forgotten something here or there. These numbers aren't perfect. Base damage numbers were taken from looking at the log and averaging out 10 hits (or 10 rounds). All the other numbers were purely extrapolated based on what the tooltips say, and just looking at the log to confirm that damage did increase.
    **** If I have forgotten any feat that would ONLY boost Magic Missile. Let me know and I will add it in.

Chilling Cloud LOVE IT, USE IT!

Chilling Cloud

Chilling Cloud

Chilling Cloud
    Magic Missile

1x Target

2x Target

3x Target

1x Target

Base 1st hit

Base Full Rnd

5x Arcane Mastery (15%)

Arcane Enhancement (6%)

Blighting Power (9%)

Bitter Cold (5%)

Froz. Pow Trans (5%/perT)

Chilling Presence (18%)

As you can see with this build Chilling Cloud RULES. Consider the extra damage if you manage to hit more than 3 targets with it. Even on single target, it is not worth switching to Magic Missile. ALSO consider that this is only the direct benefit of Chilling Cloud, and not counting the 5%/10%/15%+ boost it applies to everything else when Frozen Power Transfer is active.
  • Options
    freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hi Copticone,
    1) Why 1000 ArPen specifically?
    2) Evoction does still boost all your AoEs, it just doesn't show on the tooltip. Try it!
    3) Do you still use shield punt much now that you're using Icy Terrain?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    Hi Copticone,
    1) Why 1000 ArPen specifically?
    2) Evoction does still boost all your AoEs, it just doesn't show on the tooltip. Try it!
    3) Do you still use shield punt much now that you're using Icy Terrain?

1) You dont need 1000 ArP "specifically". My point was that you dont need as much ArP, with all the debuff you are already doing with this build. Anywhere around 1000 give or take 200, is an easy number to get. If all your other offensive stats are optimum, you can add more ArP if you want.
    2) My head is spinning from all the testing. In any case, it is really pretty much the same value as Chilling Presence. The build up of stacks, which is still relatively quickly in this build is offset by the fact that it also boosts Chilling Cloud.
    3) Shield should still be used at any "appropriate" opportunity. Like just before the mobs go up in the Singularity, when they are bunched against a wall, when things go crazy and you need a breather, when you need a quick AP refill, and of course to toss things over.
  • Options
    freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Cool thanks, I'll give your setup a go.
  • Options
    zalathorm7zalathorm7 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does the OP have his power points posted somewhere (Screenshot)? I'm leveling an alt cw and would love someone to hold my hand even more! hah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dakalystadakalysta Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've read your post attentivly and i'll test it this night.

Question : You didn't mension what kind of stats are benefic for your build (i mean CHA, INT, ect..)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zalathorm7 wrote: »
    Does the OP have his power points posted somewhere (Screenshot)? I'm leveling an alt cw and would love someone to hold my hand even more! hah

My intention was never to write a "guide". I was mainly sharing my personal build for running T2 content. This build really shines in End-game, when you have all your feats and such. Also I think you should experiment and try many things while leveling up. There are also actual "guides" that would help you sort things out as you are leveling up.
    That being said, the following are you powers you definitely want 3 points in:
    Magic Missile
    Chilling Cloud
    Chill Strike
    Entangling Force
    Conduit of Ice
    Storm Spell
    Steal Time
    Shield
    Singularity
    Ice Storm
    Ice Knife
    Chilling Presence
    Evocation
    Eye of the Storm
    Ray of Enfeeblement

The rest is up to you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dakalysta wrote: »
    I've read your post attentivly and i'll test it this night.

Question : You didn't mension what kind of stats are benefic for your build (i mean CHA, INT, ect..)

It's more of what benefits your playstyle, and balances your other stats. I personally went INT+CHA
  • Options
    dakalystadakalysta Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thx, its my opinion too ;)
  • Options
    minorchordminorchord Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been running a similar melee-ish cw build, and I guess you guys who play this way will know that this is a pretty movement based style. In a boss fight we can't just stay in one spot and cast.

So the problem is, post patch I find that the aggro means that there is hardly any time to cast at all... after the first CoI, for example, one casual foundry I ending up kiting nearly 20 mobs with icy terrain while a TR friend chased the lot of us ard and picked them off one by one. Very funny at that time, but not really a good thing. Even in the dungeons, nothing so extreme, but it happens.

So I'm considering using the respec on a movement buff from the oppressor tree to buy enough time between blinks to get a skill off.

I was considering brisk transport, but this guy seems to really get good use from severe reaction: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?347522-review-regarding-severe-reaction

Anyone willing to discuss?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    minorchord wrote: »
    I've been running a similar melee-ish cw build, and I guess you guys who play this way will know that this is a pretty movement based style. In a boss fight we can't just stay in one spot and cast.

So the problem is, post patch I find that the aggro means that there is hardly any time to cast at all... after the first CoI, for example, one casual foundry I ending up kiting nearly 20 mobs with icy terrain while a TR friend chased the lot of us ard and picked them off one by one. Very funny at that time, but not really a good thing. Even in the dungeons, nothing so extreme, but it happens.

So I'm considering using the respec on a movement buff from the oppressor tree to buy enough time between blinks to get a skill off.

I was considering brisk transport, but this guy seems to really get good use from severe reaction: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?347522-review-regarding-severe-reaction

Anyone willing to discuss?

You have to understand, that with the recent changes, it is not just the CW's job to adapt. A GF/GWF now need to do all they can to grab aggro, and more so on the little guys, then on the Elites. The big guys we can easily dodge and even Solo. It's the 15+ other guys than can stun-lock you.
    From our end, we should definitely be stacking defensive stats. I am also considering getting 10-15% Life Steal since the majority of what we do is AoE and we're able to get huge spikes of heals off of them, which could be a life saver when Astral Shield is down.
  • Options
    spr1nk3lsspr1nk3ls Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What ability scores would you recommend? Usually it would be INT but I am wondering if Wis or CHa would be better.
    ?u=Spr1nk3ls
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    spr1nk3ls wrote: »
    What ability scores would you recommend? Usually it would be INT but I am wondering if Wis or CHa would be better.
    It really doesnt matter all that much. If it is most PvE, I would say probably INT/CHAT. If mainly PvP then CHA/WIS.
This discussion has been closed.