test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

looking for a HAMSTER friendly guild

teafaceteaface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
Hello i will be starting tomorrow!! i am looking for a guild to call home!, i will be a very active player i am really excited for nwn but i want a guild that is okay with the fact i am male and i have a Boyfriend!, I Will be Playing a Tiefling CW
Post edited by teaface on

Comments

• Options
    aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I myself am pansexual, my clan has at least one <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> member and another bisexual, so you would be more than welcome in ReaX. Our TS is ts.reaxtion.net so hop on and someone should be along to set you up and introduce you to the rest of the clan, at least that is online.
  • Options
    teafaceteaface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    would be okay to keep it to myself if i didnt play female toons? and people didnt assume i was female lol
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Lords of Light is a LGBT friendly guild. Please consider us when making your decision about what guild to join. Straight allies are more than welcome, too. :)

http://thelordsoflight.enjin.com

We are on the Mindflayer shard.
    beowhulfcz wrote: »
    none of my business but i think if u kept this fact for yourself you would find a decent friendly guild anyway, by saying this you will always meet some non-tolerant childish immature idiots to call you f*g smile.png

No one should have to hide who they are.
  • Options
    waltz7976waltz7976 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They shouldn't have to hide who they are, but there's also no need to really broadcast your sexual orientation either, and that goes for everyone.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    waltz7976 wrote: »
    They shouldn't have to hide who they are, but there's also no need to really broadcast your sexual orientation either, and that goes for everyone.

If you have a guild where absolutely no discussion occurs about real life then sure, it doesn't need to come up. If your guild is social in any way, then significant others are likely to be brought up. In those cases, everyone should be able to talk about their significant others in appropriate ways without fear of harassment or reprisal.

Our guild uses Mumble. People talk about their days at work sometimes and they talk a little about their significant others. Maybe it's just a quick, "BRB, my boyfriend/wife/girlfriend/husband needs something". Or there are couples that are in the guild together. If someone questions how they know each other, they shouldn't have to pretend that they're "just friends".

Even role play focused guilds it will be an issue if someone has created a relationship for their character.

Anyway, I'm glad that guilds exist where I don't have to worry about being myself.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If they want to share personal information through a social medium other than this forum that's cool. It's completely their right, but rules dictate that you should be very limited with the personal information shared on the forums.

I'm more worried about him getting flamed, I'd hate to see it.

Might be safer to PM asking about this rather than draw unwanted hate from the ignorant masses.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So the op is supposed to hide because of "unwanted hate from the ignorant masses"? Sounds like hate and ignorance win. I suggest people stop being hateful and ignorant instead of encouraging people to hide or be afraid of being themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think the rules are in place so that hate and ignorance can be avoided all together, while on this forum at least.

Yes, people should be less hateful and ignorant though.
  • Options
    hellbellyjokerhellbellyjoker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do you know they are not referring to a cigarette, and I thought all guilds were happy and friendly to members.

Your sexual identity is your own business, and no one should care. If YOU bring it up in a game or something expect some criticism - then shoot back harder. I hate to say it, not everyone is going to be tolerant - you just need a thicker hide when dealing with trolls and people who like to antagonize people who are different than them. Pick your battles, and if you are going to let someone who lives in their mother's basement bother you (more immature players have some disorder where mommy is still governing their life), then you really need to pick enemies better too.

Be you, be proud of who you are and love who you love - just ain't no one's business.

As long as you are not hurting anyone else (who is not a willing participant) or children (willing or not, too easy to control a small mind) you are ok in my book - well, less bestiality, no need for a heavy petting zoo.
  • Options
    southseasouthsea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is the internet, everyone hides who they are and no one cares. you are hiding by being in a virtual world to begin with
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are anti-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> still in guild recruitment? O_o
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    gerritxgerritx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's nobody's business what a person's sexuality is but it is common that people like to find people they can relate to and have commonality with to play the game with.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    teaface wrote: »
    Hello i will be starting tomorrow!! i am looking for a guild to call home!, i will be a very active player i am really excited for nwn but i want a guild that is okay with the fact i am male and i have a Boyfriend!, I Will be Playing a Tiefling CW

One should NOT be, Nor should one WANT TO BE defined by ones sexual preference. It does not define you nor should one allow it to define them.

I am offended by your post.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    One should NOT be, Nor should one WANT TO BE defined by ones sexual preference. It does not define you nor should one allow it to define them.

I am offended by your post.

Most LGBT people prefer the term sexual orientation. Preference implies a choice and most LGBT people do not believe they made a choice to be LGBT any more than straight people made a choice to be straight.

Sexual orientation is one part of a person. I've seen guilds formed around being Christian, speaking certain languages or being a hardcore player. These common interests are all valid reasons for forming a guild, as is forming a guild that is friendly to LGBT(IQA) players.
  • Options
    shiphtur1gshiphtur1g Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey im straight and looking for a guild, do i get extra attention?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shiphtur1g wrote: »
    hey im straight and looking for a guild, do i get extra attention?

You get extra attention every day and in virtually every other guild. Maybe you just take it for granted. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    no, not really. people dont know if im straight or <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at all. with the exception of me telling someone im straight, they have zero way of knowing my preference jsut from me typing. same goes with him, unless he shouts it out for attention like he has, people would have no way of knowing. voice coms and things are another thing entirely, but thats his choice to use them, i personally dont and im in an extremely successful guild full of some of the best geared players to touch this game. sexual preference really means nothing, recruiting based on things like languages spoken are also an entirely different thing, because language can actually create a barrier in a game like this, but you being straight or <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> isnt going to make you any better or worse at this game. you just look like you want extra attention because youre <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and its sad really.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1. Being LGBT doesn't make anyone better or worse at the game. You are correct in that.

2. People will usually assume you are straight so you have the benefit of not having to worry about coming out or being outed.

3. This is a social game. Some people enjoy talking about their lives in addition to talking about the game. A LGBT friendly guild allows people to talk about their lives without fear of judgment or harassment. The world is getting better in that regard, but it's not quite there yet.

4. I fail to see how anyone is seeking extra attention. I am simply seeking a place where I can be myself and a world where I am treated EQUALLY. I want nothing extra.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    and to add to that...

I certainly don't want to be in a guild of immature/homophobic/bigoted people who deliberately or from ignorance use certain epithets or deragotory terms in chat (especially voice chat) or on guild forums where such words might not be filtered. That's nothing to do with being 'politically correct' either, it's everything to do about being treated equally.
  • Options
    xanthus83xanthus83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @ shiphtur1g, Last I checked being confident about who you are is not an attention seeking behavior. Seems more to me that someone commenting in a thread about something that has nothing to do with the OP's intention and just felt that they had to get their opinion in is more attention seeking than anything. Yes, we caught your whole "i'm in an extremely successful guild full of some of the best geared players to touch this game." Go you! We are so very proud of you! Just fyi though, some people do not play a game to be the best. Games are for fun after all and who are you to decide how people should play or what others they surround themselves with? You have your opinion and others have theirs. I won't be commenting again on this as I feel I have given you the attention that you wanted. Good luck at being the best in a video game!
    Xanthus- 60 CW
    Guildleader of The Lords of Light-http://thelordsoflight.enjin.com/
  • Options
    jkeunspoxkjkeunspoxk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most LGBT people prefer the term sexual orientation. Preference implies a choice and most LGBT people do not believe they made a choice to be LGBT any more than straight people made a choice to be straight.

And most straight people don't really care. Who are you to impose what you believe to be the correct term on him? Let the man speak, for pete's sake. It's not even offensive, or at least not intended to be.
  • Options
    crazyrat21crazyrat21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are guilds based around peoples religious choices too, are they just trying to get attention? Some people prefer a guild where they can chat socially and not have to hide who they are. That is not looking for attention, it's looking for similar people to chat with while playing. For many people online games aren't all about gear or beating the next dungeon, their about socializing and making friends.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    if you let a bunch of 14 yr old kids get to you because they called you a name, then i think you have bigger issues than being treated equally. you dont see black ppl posting on the forums looking for only african-american guilds, and how many times do you hear kids in video games calling black ppl the n word? what you let affect you is on you, they cant help being black just like i cant help being white just like you cant help being lgbt. if someone says something that offends you, you have multiple options, and i dont think i need to spell them out for you, you all seem intelligent enough. so ill reiterate, what you let affect you is on you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @xanthus83
    youre entire post clearly shows that you missed my point entirely, so i feel bad for you.
  • Options
    xberithxxberithx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i have been in many big and small guilds and nobody ever cared about anyone's sexual orientation.i just don't see the need for special guilds.i think it limits the amount of different people you get enjoy the game with.and really no matter race,gender or sexuality,some people are just pricks in life.that's impossible to avoid.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    in my opinion all looking for a specific group of people to hang out with is just creating a bigger barrier. yeah, i understand theres some immature little dicks in this game, and in life, but the vast majority, including myself, really dont care. theres hundreds of guilds in this game with 200+ members and im almost positive that 195+ of those members wouldnt care, i can probably guarantee you that a few will, and a few will make stupid comments, but its on you if you let it get to you, all i really gotta say =/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jkeunspoxk wrote: »
    And most straight people don't really care. Who are you to impose what you believe to be the correct term on him? Let the man speak, for pete's sake. It's not even offensive, or at least not intended to be.

S/he is free to use whatever term s/he wants. I have no power to "impose" my belief upon him/her. I do however have the voice and the will to try to educate people. You and s/he are free to reject and accept whatever you want - just as I am.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you all seem intelligent enough. so ill reiterate, what you let affect you is on you.

Why yes, yes it is. There are places I won't go in real life (even tho I'm a veteran with a concealed carry permit) simply because I know someone is going to try to pick a fight. Same here, I wouldn't join a guild where it's obvious that drama and so on would be the inevitable result. Instead, I chose to join one where I can be open and honest about who I am (doesn't mean that there won't be drama tho). I really love this guild, most are laid back folks that don't go rage quitting if we wipe in a dungeon (even if we wipe several times in a row) and don't all go rolling 'need' on everything that drops. There's been cases where everyone rolled 'pass'. Fo me, this is what a guild should be all about. The fact that there's no 'judgement' issues to worry about is icing on the cake.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    if you let a bunch of 14 yr old kids get to you because they called you a name, then i think you have bigger issues than being treated equally. you dont see black ppl posting on the forums looking for only african-american guilds, and how many times do you hear kids in video games calling black ppl the n word? what you let affect you is on you, they cant help being black just like i cant help being white just like you cant help being lgbt. if someone says something that offends you, you have multiple options, and i dont think i need to spell them out for you, you all seem intelligent enough. so ill reiterate, what you let affect you is on you.

Unfortunately, it's not only 14 year olds who call people names.

We have had African-Americans inquire about joining our guild because we have a policy of respect and not allowing offensive language, so there are African-Americans who are looking for safe(r) places.

For me, putting the onus on me (or other LGBT people) to not let bigotry bother us is putting the onus on the oppressed instead of putting the onus on the bigots to change. Put as much energy into calling out bigotry, instead of putting your energy into telling me to let it roll off my back, and I'd be more willing to entertain your claim that a LGBT guild is unnecessary.

Lastly, the game is about having fun. Having to spend my time educating people, reporting people or expending energy to let things roll off my back is not fun. Being part of a guild where I spend less time having to worry about those things is more fun to me. Feel free to join whatever guild it is that enhances your fun in the game. ;)
  • Options
    jkeunspoxkjkeunspoxk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do however have the voice and the will to try to educate people.

Sweet. That makes you annoying as hell, though.