test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I downloaded Rift ...

okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Watching NWO is failing due to extremely wide abuse of exploits and being another week with devs making no action against it I decided to give this game a break.

Downloaded Rift, installed it very quickly, made a character.
5 minutes passed and uninstalled...no, not NWO, I uninstalled Rift. This game may be good and whatever but as a whole feels very, very old, like it was a 10 years old product. Movement, controls, making actions, graphic...

This made me realise how big potential NWO has with its modern combat gameplay which feels just great. Please devs do not waste it. I will not play much until all current exploits are fixed but I am looking forward to this game having all its major issues solved!
Post edited by okaminosuke on

Comments

• Options
    nwroguenwrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    extremely wide abuse of exploits and being another week with devs making no action against it

Have you read the patchnotes?
    Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
  • Options
    naughtypussycatnaughtypussycat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter's combat mechanics is AWESOME!
    The rest of the other things, are meh, and seriously needs to be awesome too.

If they combined this with The Secret World's storytelling features,
    (but not its combat system), it would rock !
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I did the same thing...looked at my old character...walked around Meridian for a bit...even tried rolling a new toon. Just didn't feel it.

I think a bad day in Neverwinter is better than a good day in Rift.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nwrogue wrote: »
    Have you read the patchnotes?

Have you even read zone chat or done some epic dungeons with no exploiting recently?
  • Options
    iamphausiamphaus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Watching NWO is failing due to extremely wide abuse of exploits and being another week with devs making no action against it I decided to give this game a break.

5 minutes passed and uninstalled...no, not NWO, I uninstalled Rift. This game may be good and whatever but as a whole feels very, very old, like it was a 10 years old product. Movement, controls, making actions, graphic...

This made me realise how big potential NWO has with its modern combat gameplay which feels just great. Please devs do not waste it. I will not play much until all current exploits are fixed but I am looking forward to this game having all its major issues solved!

rift wasn't just made yesterday.
    Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Common sense is hard to come by around here it seems..
  • Options
    jilraenjilraen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agree completely. I continue to play LOTRO and Rift while I wait to see how things are going to go here, but, at this point the gameplay definitely feels "old-fashioned" compared to NWO. I really hope this game can reach its potential - looks like today's patch will be a major step forward.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    iamphaus wrote: »
    rift wasn't just made yesterday.
    Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I am perfectly aware it wasn't made yesterday. LOL. But it has been released F2P recently, therefore became potential alternative to NWO for many players bored/annoyed with NWO. Think a bit before posting.
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No discussion about competing MMORPG's
    Please keep discussion on the Neverwinter forums specific to Neverwinter!
    Discussion of console, handheld, mobile & non-MMORPG/non-Free to Play PC games are allowed in the Off-Topic Forums only.

You may or may not be infringing on this with your text, however your title certainly is.

Forum Rules
  • Options
    iamphausiamphaus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This game may be good and whatever but as a whole feels very, very old, like it was a 10 years old product. Movement, controls, making actions, graphic
    lol, comparing a game made years ago to a game made this year.
    Think a bit before posting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    odinspath wrote: »
    You may or may not be infringing on this with your text, however your title certainly is.

Forum Rules

Is this part of my text, being my actual point, about Rift?

I don't think so.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lol, comparing a game made years ago to a game made this year.

Rift has been first released in 2011. How is this years ago? You are acting like it was 2001. Hellooooooooo.
  • Options
    jamezwithazjamezwithaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Rift has been first released in 2011. How is this years ago? You are acting like it was 2001. Hellooooooooo.

Well that is 2 years so....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Years meaning more than one. Two years is more than one. I'll stop replying so you don't have to humiliate yourself anymore.
    Edit: Aw, jamez bet me to it.
  • Options
    wingsforwingsfor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rift? Comeon..check dragon's prophet though which i would defo put above NWO if the manga style dmg numbers and attack animations could be digested by my helvetica perverted optical-stomach..

..just a shoutout to the 16 years old's:
    -ftp
    -no mouse aiming at at targets
    -u get a mount + companion on lvl 1
    -..and its a dragon
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Years meaning more than one. Two years is more than one. I'll stop replying so you don't have to humiliate yourself anymore.

If you actually read my first post you would know I wrote there that the game feels like it was made 10 years ago. Your point and picking words that it was made 2 years ago is irrelevant when the game feels like much older. Don't waste my time with your meaningless posts.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wingsfor wrote: »
    Rift? Comeon..check dragon's prophet though which i would defo put above NWO if the manga style dUmg numbers and attack animations could be digested by my helvetica perverted optical-stomach..

..just a shoutout to the 16 years old's:
    -ftp
    -no mouse aiming at at targets
    -u get a mount + companion on lvl 1
    -..and its a dragon

Tried that and uninstalled the beta within 15 minutes. Bland, uninspired intro/story, ugly graphics, and a fairly unstable client were the things I experienced there.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game may be good and whatever but as a whole feels very, very old, like it was a 10 years old product. Movement, controls, making actions, graphic...

Yeah. These [1] [2] [3] [4] certainly look like 10 year old graphics.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Modern gameplay LOL. What game could I not spam the same 2 abilities while waiting for others to come off cool down? I think ive seen the AP design used hundreds of times too. Build up combo points in order to use your best ability goes as far back as Nintendo in the 80s. The only thing missing is the narration of c-c-c-combo breaker if you get knocked down while building AP. :p
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Yeah. These [1] [2] [3] [4] certainly look like 10 year old graphics.

You can make various games look much better by using some graphic mods, shaders etc. I installed the game and set all gfx options to max. Looked way different to your pictures. No gimmicks.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Same here OP, I thought Rift F2P was gonna be a NW killer, but I found out last week that people who already purchased the game long ago can get early F2P access, so I installed it, played my old character and hated how they revamped everything. So I made a new character, hated the started zone, the animations, the graphics, the tab-target gameplay and everything. It feels like a cheaper version of WoW, and I'm sick of WoW itself, so how can I enjoy Rift?

Uninstalled, came back to NW.

NW may have it's flaws, but the gameplay itself is so much more fun, faster pace and more up to date! After playing NW, I can never go back to a Tab-Target MMORPG ever again! IMHO I think the only game that could kill NW is Wildstar! But it's not even out yet, and for all we know the game might suck anyways cause it's made by ex-WoW developers.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    final fantasy xiv a realm reborn best upcoming mmo *runs*
  • Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

OMG I did the exact same thing and had the exact same reaction! I could not play Rift for 15 minutes. I told my brother it felt like playing WoW in 2005 but not as good.

So I am playing Neverwinter until ESO releases (now in at least a year if not two) and hoping the patches make things better and I hope they release the normal Drow race and the Ranger class before the game collapses.

I do love the look of the game, with the dynamic shadows and lighting, and I love the combat. There is a lot to like about this game and a lot that stinks to high heaven.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can make various games look much better by using some graphic mods, shaders etc. I installed the game and set all gfx options to max. Looked way different to your pictures. No gimmicks.

There's nothing special used in those screenshots. They are just slightly modified ultra settings from the video options.
  • Options
    jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rift belongs to the tab target family and Neverwinter belongs to the action family. I do prefer the actiony style of Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2 and Tera. However, Neverwinter just feels lacking in about every other category beyond the combat and controls. Rift on the other hand is a full featured, fully fleshed out title. With a staggering amount of variety.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Shill thread is shill thread

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

Not my favorite site but neverwinter has dropped like a stone in the rankings and RIFT is now nicely higher ranked.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jnaathra wrote: »
    Rift belongs to the tab target family and Neverwinter belongs to the action family. I do prefer the actiony style of Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2 and Tera. However, Neverwinter just feels lacking in about every other category beyond the combat and controls. Rift on the other hand is a full featured, fully fleshed out title. With a staggering amount of variety.

Yeah, that's why I have mentioned that I realise Rift can be a good game, despite my initial feeling. But once I tasted in GW2, Tera's or NWO's dynamic gameplay it is really hard to go back to oldschool mechanic :(
  • Options
    nwroguenwrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have you even read zone chat or done some epic dungeons with no exploiting recently?
    Once again, I'm quoting the " being another week with devs making no action against it" hours before a patch that you obviously haven't read the notes for.
    Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
  • Options
    tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you want to play WoW but don't want to play WoW, play RIFT. Of all the WoW clones out there, it's the best one. There's a metric ton of content and very in-depth character building. Of course, that style of MMO is not everyone's cup of tea. I've tried getting into RIFT, but after playing WoW for 7 years, I realized that it's not just WoW itself that makes me bored; it's that kind of MMO in general. I prefer the action oriented combat delivered by games like Guild Wars 2, TERA, and this game of course. Neverwinter has its share of problems, just like every other MMO, but I like the core game itself enough to exercise some patience and work through the issues. Every MMO is going to have something about it you dont like, whether its bugs, exploits, imbalances, or even just intended game design. The trick is to find the one you hate the least and play that. For me right now, its Neverwinter.
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not sure how the hell you can compare Rift to Nwo, because it's like comparing apples to oranges. Rift is more like World of Warcraft, where you have the word (Massive) in the Mmo game. Nwo has nothing of the such when it comes to open world exploration, where can you go and just walk around and enjoy (THE OPEN WORLD) in Nwo?

When I think of an Mmo I think of being able to explore an open world, being able to have the freedom to pick and choose w/e path I want to follow for my character progression. This is by far NOT the case in Nwo, you have No open world to explore, you have to freedom to progress your character through a rich storyline. There is one path to follow and it's already predetermined and laid out for the player to follow. THATS NOT AN MMO.

People can Hate on World of Warcraft or any other Mmo on the market, but the one thing they All follow when it comes to creating an Mmo is the ability to give players a world to explore and immerse yourself in a story. Sure Nwo may have some nice (Action Based) combat like a single player hack and slash type game would, but it lacks in the story department, it lacks in the ability to allow me and my friends a World to explore and immerse ourselves in the game.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Nwo has nothing of the such when it comes to open world exploration, where can you go and just walk around and enjoy (THE OPEN WORLD) in Nwo?
    That's because the game was originally developed and designed as a multi-player co-op but later got the MMO part shoehorned in by the publishers and it shows. That's why everything is instanced and there's no persistent world to explore. However, if that's what you're really missing in an MMO, there's plenty of other games out there that support that aspect of gameplay. I've learned to live without it personally.
This discussion has been closed.