What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I downloaded Rift ...

2»

Comments

• ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    When I think of an Mmo I think of being able to explore an open world, being able to have the freedom to pick and choose w/e path I want to follow for my character progression. This is by far NOT the case in Nwo, you have No open world to explore, you have to freedom to progress your character through a rich storyline. There is one path to follow and it's already predetermined and laid out for the player to follow. THATS NOT AN MMO.

I'm sorry, I've tried multiple MMOs, and I can't remember a single one which allows you to "have to freedom to progress your character through a rich storyline" without a linear path. All MMOs are linear as HELL. Sure, some of the older ones have enough content where you get to pick one of the two-three zones to level it. However, quests being as cookie-cutter as they usually are, I couldn't care less whether I've got to kill X of Y in forest A or forest B.

Plus, for me personally, shorter transit time is a bonus not a detriment :)
  • vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes make this game perfect so players will not leave...LOL NO game is perfect enjoy the fact that game is even out, at least they are working on killing the bugs.
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    wingsfor wrote: »
    Rift? Comeon..check dragon's prophet though which i would defo put above NWO if the manga style dmg numbers and attack animations could be digested by my helvetica perverted optical-stomach..

..just a shoutout to the 16 years old's:
    -ftp
    -no mouse aiming at at targets
    -u get a mount + companion on lvl 1
    -..and its a dragon

That game is horrible.
  • dammaddammad Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Look Dungeons and Dragons should be about instances and that kind of stuff. Even table top version had limitations. To try to make DDo open world will **** up D&D in general. As for storyline. If you look the story is there. It just not as immersed because you're supposed to create your own story that is why the foundry exists. That is why you can edit your discription in the character tab. Make yourself get immersed.

I get sick and tired how players can't "get lost" (or in the technical term: Immersed) in a game. If you need to escape the real world commit suicide. If you want to get immersed in a fantasy world or fiction read a book or watch a movie. A TRUE BLUE gamer can immerse themselves in any game even if it be an immerseless game. I'm sick of imagination challenged casual players who rant. Go shove a joystick where the sun doesn't slime you gaming waste of spaces.

GTFO NW go play Rift or STFU.
  • dammaddammad Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    izidius wrote: »
    That game is horrible.

That guy is an idiot. He obviously haven't played because you can't get a mount at lvl1 its lvl 8 when your mount is available. The reason you guys mock DP is because its heavily PVP oriented with Guild vs Guild in mind. DP is one of a kind in the MMORPG realm. If you can't see that then STFU or GTFO of gaming period. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I am saying pay your respects idiots.
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    dammad wrote: »
    That guy is an idiot. He obviously haven't played because you can't get a mount at lvl1 its lvl 8 when your mount is available. The reason you guys mock DP is because its heavily PVP oriented with Guild vs Guild in mind. DP is one of a kind in the MMORPG realm. If you can't see that then STFU or GTFO of gaming period. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I am saying pay your respects idiots.

Ok boss - careful you get a heart attack or something over there :D
  • losse1losse1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tried rift again too, infact I still have time left on my account but it seems boring compared to NWO. It is still a great game, better than wow for example. This is of course 100% personal preference but yeah, for me I agree, I like the bones of this game (NWO) if they can put more meat on it and have some good sales on the market place soon which is way overpriced. Also, this makes me really look forward to TESO, which could blow NWO away or at least give them some strong competition.
    "The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy; walk and be healthy. The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose." -Charles Dickens
  • jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    iamphaus wrote: »
    lol, comparing a game made years ago to a game made this year.

FYI Rift was released only 2 years ago. The OP is 100% correct in his comparison of NW's fast paced combat vs Rift's slow old school mmo mechanics. I did the same as OP and tried playing my old max level character and a couple lower level ones. Once you do NW combat, especially PVP, you CANNOT go back to any other mmo. Let's all hope Cryptic stays on top of this game.
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I've tried multiple MMOs, and I can't remember a single one which allows you to "have to freedom to progress your character through a rich storyline" without a linear path.

Personal ignorance as the basis for attacking someones position ?

All MMOs are linear as HELL.

Really ? Just off the top of my head

http://secondlife.com/

If you like PvP there is always Warhammer or planetside. That is just off the top of my head.
    Sure, some of the older ones have enough content where you get to pick one of the two-three zones to level it. However, quests being as cookie-cutter as they usually are, I couldn't care less whether I've got to kill X of Y in forest A or forest B.

Cyptic has a real history of "Be Reasonable, do it my way" approach to progression. This game doesn't break pattern. Too bad. There are plenty of games out there that change things up.

Unfortunately here we have the usual pattern of very limited choices and a blame/punish the players for dev failures with and endless series of nerfs.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Watching NWO is failing due to extremely wide abuse of exploits and being another week with devs making no action against it I decided to give this game a break.

Downloaded Rift, installed it very quickly, made a character.
    5 minutes passed and uninstalled...no, not NWO, I uninstalled Rift. This game may be good and whatever but as a whole feels very, very old, like it was a 10 years old product. Movement, controls, making actions, graphic...

This made me realise how big potential NWO has with its modern combat gameplay which feels just great. Please devs do not waste it. I will not play much until all current exploits are fixed but I am looking forward to this game having all its major issues solved!

I think this is more of an off-topic thread...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jpnole wrote: »
    Once you do NW combat, especially PVP, you CANNOT go back to any other mmo. Let's all hope Cryptic stays on top of this game.

I have. Can't imagine how you have missed all the FPS games that do NW's combat system but infinitely better.
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter's combat mechanics is AWESOME!
    The rest of the other things, are meh, and seriously needs to be awesome too.

If they combined this with The Secret World's storytelling features,
    (but not its combat system), it would rock !

Call me crazy, but I like and still play TSW occasionally...but yes, get some of the story skill here and booyahh!!!
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • sicktir3dsicktir3d Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rift was a god game, but nwo is next gen, slick graphics and controls. Also if you have the graphics card you can make rift look really good. I forget what the setting is called but it says only recommended for high end computer.
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mechjockey wrote: »
    Really ? Just off the top of my head

http://secondlife.com/

You can't really compare any game to Second Life.
    SL isn't so much a game as a second virtual world.
    When you have colleges providing classes via something, it's not a game.
    Now, some people have created game areas etc... but SL itself is not strictly a game...
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Major fixes coming today for Neverwinter. Rift can't... can't ... caaaant.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Sound the bell.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
This discussion has been closed.