test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the point of crafting?

jaqazjaqaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Other than being a MASSIVE time sink with very little to gain, what is the point of crafting? Is it worth it to spend the time and effort to level them up?
Post edited by jaqaz on

Comments

• Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I finally got my chain crafting up to level 12, took forever and costs a fortune and a ton of time to level. At level 60 I can now craft level 16 equipment.
  • Options
    momobimomobi Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    I feel your pain as well, beside leadership which can earn AD, i don't think others are worth leveling so far...
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    The whole crafting process is a huge *** money sink. Only near the max (20) will you reap your just rewards. Yeah I probably blew around 400-600K AD
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    For right now the two main benefits of crafting are extra stuff you can sell for SP, and gaining Rough Astral Diamonds from completing certain Leadership tasks. The biggest issue with crafting is that any items you can make you will have out levelled by the time your tradesmen are able to make the gear. Also if you are looking to power level the XP you can gain from the Leadership tasks will help you. Apart from that, crafting is basically a mini-game for Neverwinter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spiritusvinispiritusvini Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    It is a money sink, you know, until you get the ability to craft the really good stuff. Sadly, you will be in the - for the majority of it all.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    It's only worth it if you get it to the max level which lets you craft a few choice goodies. Definitely not for the casual player. It took me around 41 days of around 8 hours of daily harvesting/crafting to get 1 profession to max. You will be blowing tons and tons of AD.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's not necessary to spend AD on crafting. You will have to spend some SP though for supplies. of course spending AD will allow you to advance your craftsmanship much faster, but I would not recommend it as you will not recoup the AD you spent. Just enjoy it for what it is, a mini-game you can play while waiting in the Queues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's not necessary to spend AD on crafting. You will have to spend some SP though for supplies. of course spending AD will allow you to advance your craftsmanship much faster, but I would not recommend it as you will not recoup the AD you spent. Just enjoy it for what it is, a mini-game you can play while waiting in the Queues.

Unfortunately you cannot make anything worth selling unless you buy some upgraded tools and assets (uncommon ones) they cost a ton of AD each.
  • Options
    kenjioyamakenjioyama Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have made a lot of Astral Diamonds by crafting. Not just the Leadership profession but Mailsmithing also.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am surprised at all the posts saying crafting costs a ton of AD. You can get every craft to 20 without spending a single AD. AD makes it faster and AD for colored tools lets you make better quality items, but it is not necessary to spend any AD to max all the crafts. Crafting slowly (for free) is worth it. Spending AD to rush crafting probably isn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    I am surprised at all the posts saying crafting costs a ton of AD. You can get every craft to 20 without spending a single AD. AD makes it faster and AD for colored tools lets you make better quality items, but it is not necessary to spend any AD to max all the crafts. Crafting slowly (for free) is worth it. Spending AD to rush crafting probably isn't.

Yeah.. you can get to 20 max without spending a single AD but you won't be able to make anything worthwhile. Everything that can be sold for good AD requires you to invest in a uncommon quality (green) tool. Exception is maybe leadership.. you can earn AD using leadership without spending AD.
  • Options
    kenjioyamakenjioyama Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah.. you can get to 20 max without spending a single AD but you won't be able to make anything worthwhile. Everything that can be sold for good AD requires you to invest in a uncommon quality (green) tool. Exception is maybe leadership.. you can earn AD using leadership without spending AD.
    No and No. I haven't spent a dime on crafting anything and I have sold plenty of items on the Auction Market. Maybe you are pointing out the high resale or quick selling things perhaps? I don't know anything about that stuff. But I have made money in the Auction House and haven't spent a single Astral Diamond on any crafting material or profession.
  • Options
    s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kenjioyama wrote: »
    No and No. I haven't spent a dime on crafting anything and I have sold plenty of items on the Auction Market. Maybe you are pointing out the high resale or quick selling things perhaps? I don't know anything about that stuff. But I have made money in the Auction House and haven't spent a single Astral Diamond on any crafting material or profession.

I wonder where did u get green\blue Hammers etc.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • Options
    jaqazjaqaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    So, what I am hearing is...unlike other MMO's where crafting serves some purpose it does not in this game. Unless you have a bunch of AD just lying around and it is burning a hole in your pocket. Understood.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jaqaz wrote: »
    So, what I am hearing is...unlike other MMO's where crafting serves some purpose it does not in this game. Unless you have a bunch of AD just lying around and it is burning a hole in your pocket. Understood.

It only rewards you when you reach the highest ranks. You can craft a few rare/epic quality items like shirt and pants. The only one that gives you good long term benefit is leadership and maybe possibly alchemy (new).
  • Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jaqaz wrote: »

leadership can get you free AD and xp for nothing just by clicking the buttons.

the other trades are pretty useless for a casual gamer. power gamer types might eventually get something out of it, but personally id rather just buy one of whatever i need from them than bother with it.
  • Options
    haranded1haranded1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sell hero's !!
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not rushing crafting, just gently ambling up the skill ranks. Spent a few gold on some basic mats more out of interest than any burning need.

I suspect the only people getting holes in their pockets are the ones desperately trying to max it as fast as possible.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Leatherworking gives you the unique opportunity to craft many, many pairs of pants. That itself is worth mucho.
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just wondering how this is a money sink? Other than the gold i've spent on charcoal and such (negligible amounts, really), i haven't sunk any money into crafting. Certainly no AD or real money. i get more gold from doing leadership missions, for example, than i spend. Or do you mean you're being impatient and spending AD to finish your missions faster?
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never spend AD on speeding up tasks. ITs such a waste. Farming AD with leadership is decent, if you have multiple characters doing it. Crafting is necessary for end game gear optimization, so make it or buy it.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    leveled up my cleric just by doing Leadership on my phone while playing my other char... lol
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I've been doing alchemy on the test server. It's different. You can make dyes and potions. It uses wood and pelt as main ingredients. Consumables are always a good steady source of income.
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps they mean, for crafting to be a meaningful exercise for that particular character? Because certainly, your character will level much faster than your professions will, so you're constantly out-levelling its usefulness. The gear you can craft will very rarely be better than anything you find, with the exception of shirts and pants.

I have my first toon crafting Leather and Cloth, my second doing Plate and Chain. Between those two, they can make whatever for new alts, for a bit of twinking, as well as selling off epic shirts/pants.
    I don't see any other purpose to it. I'd recommend all casual players to not bother; just stick with Leadership for a trickle of gold, AD and XP.
  • Options
    crypticdeath1crypticdeath1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only thing i don't like about the professions is they don't lvl with your character, by the time i get my mail or plate or whatever it is i am doing up, my level has far surpassed it, so the gear is useless to me, just end up selling it.
  • Options
    cedwyncedwyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Whether or not crafting is broken depends on what you plan on doing with it. It's certainly true that you level much faster than your professions do, so anything you create with them during the leveling process is essentially vendor trash.

That being said, I've only spent a small amount of gold on charcoal/etc, so crafting really hasn't cost me anything other than a some time. I don't intend to spend AD on it at any point, so in the end I'm not really poorer for it. And who knows? In a month or two I might actually be able to make something worth selling on the AH. I view it more as a long-term investment, it's certainly not something you can use to actually make gear for your characters unless you are leveling impossibly slowly.
  • Options
    kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    Shirts and pants. That is pretty much all the crafting professions are good for, unfortunately.

It does need some tweaking. Giving the epic gear you can craft at 20 a set bonus, so it can actually compete with T1/T2, would be a good start. Also, the requirement of at least one purple + 3 blue tools just to get a 12% chance of crafting something with a socket is far too harsh. I've managed to get pretty rich in this game by playing the AH, but I still hesitate to spend that much just to be able to craft socketed items. Purple tools typically go for around a million AD. Ouch.

All that said, it's very difficult, bordering on impossible, to design a crafting system that is actually useful in an MMO. Let alone one that is useful AND accessible. Think about it... that's just a paradoxical notion. If everyone has easy access to something, it's not going to be worth much. Because everyone has easy access to it. How can you expect to make money off of something you crafted if everyone else can craft it too? Nobody is going to pay you for it because they can make it themselves.

What this game's crafting system could really use is valuable recipes that can be found in the world. Be it through very difficult quest chains, rare boss drops, or any other kind of limited achievement. Then crafting can become useful because not everyone will be able to craft everything. Other people will need the things you can craft and you'll need the things they can craft.

Being able to disenchant or disassemble gear into crafting materials would be a useful and interesting addition as well.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I made tens of millions of AD from crafting pants and shirts. However the market is far too saturated now so I don't even bother since <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> undercut my hundreds of k's just to make a quick buck.

Got in, made my money, got out. Still sitting on them legit AD muniez.
  • Options
    notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've never spent any AD on crafting. I use it for making a little AD (leadership). Crafting and foundry is all there is left for me to do in NW. Being the red headed step child...aka GWF...I have no queue I can sit in. If the foundry is boring I just set my professions and move on to another MMO where I can play my perferred play style of a fighter and be not only allowed to group but actually welcomed.
  • Options
    notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best crafting system I have seen is Elder Scrolls Skyrim. Being single player it is not designed to be a 'money maker' although I made a mint off improving gear I picked up from dungeon before selling. Their crafting allowed you to actually make your own gear or your own potions, flowing right along with my level. I had to hunt to get my leather or mats for potions, I had to find mines to mine my ore and it had to be the right kind. It encouraged adventure and discovery which I loved.

Please take no offense kindyre but crafting off only 'rare' quest chains only allows a few to gain $ off the many. Why not have a crafting system that you can can benefit off what you craft. Treasures from zone areas are pretty worthless. Why not replace them with something that can be used in crafting your own potions at the very least? Or open a zone for gathering of mats? A BIG zone that offers adventure instead of just a critter every 5 feet that you just fought.