test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please stop sending the zen/ad exchange into the toilet!

diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
250 AD per zen? That's utterly ridiculous. All these people pushing the market down are going to have a rude awakening when they run out of lockboxes and actually need AD to buy gear, or stuff off the AH, or a cat, or mount training, or companion training (when they add it) and they realize they can't scrounge together the AD they need.

There is an AD shortage coming, so either sellers will have to lower their AH prices, or AD sellers in the zen exchange are going to have to draw a line in the sand and NOT sell their AD for anything lower. So what will it be? where will the line be drawn?

Please, the long-range thinkers and economists out there are begging all you shortsighted people to stop selling your AD so low. Everyone else, I recommend you hoard your AD and wait to buy that AH gear or stuf from the wondrous market...you're gonna need it later.

Of course I know cryptic wants it to keep tanking, the less AD you can get for a zen, the more money they make, but I, for one, don't enjoy the thought of spending hundreds of bucks (equivalent) on a cat or mount training.

All the people complaining about it being pay to win were wrong before, but are rapidly becoming right as the market tanks. If you don't want to pay to win, and enjoy making your AD off the exchange, like I used to do, then stop settling for less AD per zen!
Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
Arachnophobia
Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
For all the spider-haters out there :p
Post edited by dioriel on

Comments

• jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    - sits on 2.6 million -

In all honesty the bottom will just fall out of the AH. People are already trading some items for gold in chat rather than AD on the AH.

Also, the majority of us are not stupid enough to spend a load of RL cash on this. I haven't spent anything beyond the 60 dollars for the founders stuff and I don't intend to spend more.

This gives me what i needed for each character forever, a mount.
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well that was predictable.

Let me fill you in on a little clue - you won't be able to control the market by posting exhortations on a forum.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dioriel wrote: »
    250 AD per zen? That's utterly ridiculous. All these people pushing the market down are going to have a rude awakening when they run out of lockboxes and actually need AD to buy gear, or stuff off the AH, or a cat, or mount training, or companion training (when they add it) and they realize they can't scrounge together the AD they need.

There is an AD shortage coming, so either sellers will have to lower their AH prices, or AD sellers in the zen exchange are going to have to draw a line in the sand and NOT sell their AD for anything lower. So what will it be? where will the line be drawn?

Please, the long-range thinkers and economists out there are begging all you shortsighted people to stop selling your AD so low. Everyone else, I recommend you hoard your AD and wait to buy that AH gear or stuf from the wondrous market...you're gonna need it later.

Of course I know cryptic wants it to keep tanking, the less AD you can get for a zen, the more money they make, but I, for one, don't enjoy the thought of spending hundreds of bucks (equivalent) on a cat or mount training.

All the people complaining about it being pay to win were wrong before, but are rapidly becoming right as the market tanks. If you don't want to pay to win, and enjoy making your AD off the exchange, like I used to do, then stop settling for less AD per zen!
    Why don't you employ a bit of logic for a bit.
    If this week 1 zen will buy me 100 AD
    And next week 1 zen will buy me 50 AD

The value of AD has__________

AD at 250 isn't AD in the toilet its AD rising in value. People are selling AD at a higher value. The zen is what is devalued. Your post seems to mush this all up.
  • boboldbobold Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    I think there is a minimum ratio on the exchange of 200 AD: Zen (can someone verify that?). If that's the case then you don't have to worry. That's still a very healthy level and as we approach it many items on the Zen store are now reasonably affordable for players who prefer to buy the Zen with AD. There are a number of ways to generate AD, and I have heard that at the current level cap running dungeons and selling unneeded loot can be quite lucrative.

Players who purchased Zen to convert to AD early on enjoyed a very favorable exchange rate (actually at the other end of the spectrum if you will), but the economy is balancing now at a more reasonable level.

Don't worry, whatever the case may be for the present - if the developers feel that AD is becoming too valuable they can implement any number of ways to alter the balance of the economy. I'm sure they are conscious of it.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The failsafe is 1z to 50ad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bobold wrote: »
    I think there is a minimum ratio on the exchange of 200 AD: Zen (can someone verify that?). If that's the case then you don't have to worry. That's still a very healthy level and as we approach it many items on the Zen store are now reasonably affordable for players who prefer to buy the Zen with AD. There are a number of ways to generate AD, and I have heard that at the current level cap running dungeons and selling unneeded loot can be quite lucrative.

Players who purchased Zen to convert to AD early on enjoyed a very favorable exchange rate (actually at the other end of the spectrum if you will), but the economy is balancing now at a more reasonable level.

Don't worry, whatever the case may be for the present - if the developers feel that AD is becoming too valuable they can implement any number of ways to alter the balance of the economy. I'm sure they are conscious of it.

The overall value change is somewhat gradual and there is a very predictable 20 point swing in the market throughout the day where you can easily make 1 to 2 k in zen or its value in AD if you want to play the swing. Look for times when there is a gap between the buy and sell of 8 or more it usually means someone is purchasing a larger amount of AD for whatever reason and the zen hasn't quite caught up to it yet. Peoples autobuy clients will take a few minutes to catch up as you play this difference into 50 to 100k AD increase depending on how much zen/AD you have on hand.
  • flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    The zen is what's devalued. Look at the cash shop: There's not much in it that people really think is worth the money. (They really need to start working on more fashion stuff) Once they start adding more interesting things to the cash shop, then the AD per zen will start rising again.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Actually the other posters are right. AD value INCREASE. That is why it is dropping in exchange rate.

Keep in mind that AD/Zen are control by the players. It is like the stock market. People will sell their Zen for AD. Some are willing to wait and some are willing to just dump a bunch of Zen for a quick AD.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    LOL All the dupers with billions of ad I think may disagree.

If many people had billions of AD AD to Zen would be much higher such as caturday with 500 AD to 1 Zen. AD has gone up in value, not down. People are worried AD is drying up. Billions of AD wouldn't be drying up.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this was to be expected as the AD from the Founder's Packs worked its way through the game.

Not sure why anyone expected the AD/Zen rate to stay super high, the only reason we hit 400+ is because people were loaded with AD through the Founder's packs.
  • doaxiradoaxira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Here is what actually is already happening, and I am pretty sure cryptic is oblivious:

Zen conversion has went to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when you compare how much AD it gets you to how easy AD is to obtain. Now people instead of purchasing Zen, are instead going to 3rd party sites to purchase AD. Roughly $15 US is getting you 1mil AD, and the Zen market does not even come close to that.

Now what is the *latest* method they are using to sell AD so cheap? Well using the endless dungeon exploits that exist and have not been stopped, and flooding the market with these items. They are exploiting 3 main dungeons all day every day farming T2/T3 items (Spider, FH, and now most importantly CN - CN in under 20 minutes???), and flooding the economy with cheaper and cheaper items. I do not think we have seen the full effect of this yet. The mind boggling thing now is regular players now are advertising for those same runs in zone chat, its all over steams, its insane that they have not shut it down, issued some bans, or at a minimum comment on it.

The amazing thing to me is by letting this all occur, with what seems like zero reaction or penalty to players doing it, they are now directly shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their own revenue by players shifting from buying Zen, to paying the 3rd party farmers.... Lets see how long it takes them to come to that realization and do something about this cluster **** that is occurring right now in game.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    this was to be expected as the AD from the Founder's Packs worked its way through the game.

Not sure why anyone expected the AD/Zen rate to stay super high, the only reason we hit 400+ is because people were loaded with AD through the Founder's packs.

And exploiting at the time but.. despite people claiming people are still duping AD this is proof that people are in fact not duping AD at least in any huge degree. Those days are over.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bongstick wrote: »
    There are two things happening. Astral Diamonds leaving the economy (auction house cut). Zen store being boring and worthless.

/thread

this, and Founder's Pack AD being expended.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how about no, scott?

price of zen is already WAY WAY too high. 300 AD? 250? are you serious? make it 50, the minimum. even then it's too **** high.

100 zen = $1

are you really saying that a stupid level 40 horse (2000 zen or $20) should be cost 600,000 AD? who at level 40 could even have that much AD? even at the min ex. rate of 50ad/zen that's 100,000 AD.

(edit: realized my math was backasswards, oops)
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    doaxira wrote: »
    Here is what actually is already happening, and I am pretty sure cryptic is oblivious:

Zen conversion has went to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when you compare how much AD it gets you to how easy AD is to obtain. Now people instead of purchasing Zen, are instead going to 3rd party sites to purchase AD. Roughly $15 US is getting you 1mil AD, and the Zen market does not even come close to that.

Now what is the *latest* method they are using to sell AD so cheap? Well using the endless dungeon exploits that exist and have not been stopped, and flooding the market with these items. They are exploiting 3 main dungeons all day every day farming T2/T3 items (Spider, FH, and now most importantly CN - CN in under 20 minutes???), and flooding the economy with cheaper and cheaper items. I do not think we have seen the full effect of this yet. The mind boggling thing now is regular players now are advertising for those same runs in zone chat, its all over steams, its insane that they have not shut it down, issued some bans, or at a minimum comment on it.

The amazing thing to me is by letting this all occur, with what seems like zero reaction or penalty to players doing it, they are now directly shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their own revenue by players shifting from buying Zen, to paying the 3rd party farmers.... Lets see how long it takes them to come to that realization and do something about this cluster **** that is occurring right now in game.

Initial Zen can only be purchase with real money. The cost of item (in Zen) are fixed. Players CAN exchange Zen to AD via the market. Zen cannot be "earn" like AD.

I don't think there are "excess" of AD. If there was, the market would reflect that (high AD to Zen ration) since it is lowering (min is 50) that means the value of AD has gone up. There isn't as much out there (or at least not evenly distributed)

this mean the market is "stabilizing" give it a couple more months and we may see a balance between AD/Zen ratio.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    If many people had billions of AD AD to Zen would be much higher such as caturday with 500 AD to 1 Zen. AD has gone up in value, not down. People are worried AD is drying up. Billions of AD wouldn't be drying up.

This is what I mean. AD is drying up. as for the "make tons of AD on the AH" argument...if there is less AD in the economy, you can no longer make tons of AD on the AH. DUCY?

Of course, Cyptic actually loves this, since AH price drops are lagging behind the zen exchange tanking, so impatient people buy MORE zen to try to sell on the exchange for AD. This is why in-game wondrous bazaar items are so expensive...think about how much money or time you will have to spend to get 900k AD for a cat (just using it as an example) once 1 zen = 50 AD. ouch.

There's nothing to buy in the zen store? Then why are people STILL selling their AD for zen, and driving the market down? What do you need zen for if everything in the store is boring? Hoard your AD, it will be better in the long run for ya.

As for the 3rd party farmers, it's going to dry up for them too, as there is a limited amount of AD you can earn in a day. Even them.

I did, however, think of a solution. each of us makes 50 accounts with 100 level 11 characters praying for diamonds all day. Fun.

Arachnophobia
  • doaxiradoaxira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Initial Zen can only be purchase with real money. The cost of item (in Zen) are fixed. Players CAN exchange Zen to AD via the market. Zen cannot be "earn" like AD.

I don't think there are "excess" of AD. If there was, the market would reflect that (high AD to Zen ration) since it is lowering (min is 50) that means the value of AD has gone up. There isn't as much out there (or at least not evenly distributed)

this mean the market is "stabilizing" give it a couple more months and we may see a balance between AD/Zen ratio.

I do not see how it is stabilizing, is it not going the other way? Zen conversion to AD is getting worse, and the price of AD for 3rd party suppliers is getting cheaper because they have a TON of it. More and more people are buying AD from 3rd party services instead of supporting the developers of the game. In fact right now you would save ALOT of money by buying AD from a 3rd party service, converting it to zen, then buying things from the zen store... LOL? There is no light at the end of this tunnel.
  • flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2013

There's nothing to buy in the zen store? Then why are people STILL selling their AD for zen, and driving the market down? What do you need zen for if everything in the store is boring? Hoard your AD, it will be better in the long run for ya.

You have it backwards. If more people wanted zen, then the price would go up because sellers could charge more because there's more demand. If people were clamoring to buy zen then there would not be a need to lower the price. if few people wanted to buy zen then to sell your zen you need to lower the price.
  • kt6ylz3qcikt6ylz3qci Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand why so many people are getting this so wrong.

If 1 zen bought you 400 AD yesterday and only 200 today, then the value of AD is increasing. That is a good thing. AD is the currency we earn from dailies. It's the currency with which we buy & sell items on the AH. It's the currency we can exchange for cash shop currency to buy cash shop things.

At launch, PW artificially depressed the value of AD with the "founder" pack. For every 500 people who bought into that, 1 billion AD was injected into circulation. Now that some time has gone by and the sinks have had a chance to do their job, the value of AD is increasing to a more realistic level.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    /thinks the OP should avoid Star Trek Online, so as not to have a heart attack over the exchange rate (which has been between 90 and 130 over the past year).

And that's in a game where I've never seen gold seller spam.
    I do not see how it is stabilizing, is it not going the other way?

By "stablizing", he means that the exchange rate is settling down from it's false/inflated value of 500:1, down to a more sustainable level. The exchange rate being pegged at 400-500:1 is not the "normal" value, that was just where it started because the economy began with a giant pile o' automatic diamonds. To find out what the normal level is, we need to get to the point where the amount of AD leaving the economy (via the various "sinks", like auction fees/enchant removal/appearance change/ID scrolls) is close to the amount entering the economy by dailies/invoking/LD/events.
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    /thinks the OP should avoid Star Trek Online, so as not to have a heart attack over the exchange rate (which has been between 90 and 130 over the past year).

And that's in a game where I've never seen gold seller spam.

By "stablizing", he means that the exchange rate is settling down from it's false/inflated value of 500:1, down to a more sustainable level. The exchange rate being pegged at 400-500:1 is not the "normal" value, that was just where it started because the economy began with a giant pile o' automatic diamonds. To find out what the normal level is, we need to get to the point where the amount of AD leaving the economy (via the various "sinks", like auction fees/enchant removal/appearance change/ID scrolls) is close to the amount entering the economy by dailies/invoking/LD/events.

and in Champions, the rate started at 50 Q to 1 Zen, which started going up. It's now around 200:1. And thats on a subscription/F2P game. so people are getting free zen each month.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nowhere in my post did i say the value of AD was decreasing. Which is why i predict a shortage, and that hoarding it would be a good plan. Because the prices of stuff in the AH and at certain vendors (Wondrous Bazaar and companion vendor, i'm looking at you) isn't changing. not looking forward to the time when identify scrolls cost a buck each. :eek: Sorry, it just seems excessive to me. Does anyone who has played other cryptic games know if they ever lower the in-game prices of things? Because 900k AD for a cat is gonna be a hell of a grind when you can't make millions selling stuff on the AH anymore.

Arachnophobia
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The lower the exchange rate, the more valuable AD becomes.

A lower exchange rate rewards people willing to put the time in to earn AD. At the same time it lowers the value of items in the cash shop because Zen can be aquired for a lesser amount of AD, and Zen shop items are a fixed amount.

Credit card gamers get less bang for their buck while people that earn AD by playing the game get more bang for their buck.
    Makes the game less pay to win, and more play to win.

I am perfectly fine with this.
  • kajiwhtkajiwht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    U guys need to learn something called economics...
    markets are self regulated systems... if stuff like caturday doesnt happen zen/ad will always go to a balance
    More people selling = price dropping, if price drops less ppl will want to sell... so price goes back up
    same goes for AH...
    PPL have more ad they buy more and stuff gets more expensive. then ppl will stop buying and will be working their *** for ad, market will overflow with itens and prices will drop. it gets harder to make money, so people hav less money
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    This is called Market Equilibrium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_equilibrium

Basically AD is becoming more valuable compared to Zen due to diminishing amounts available to the consumer. To save you from TL;DR basically it's easier to purchase zen than to work for the amount of AD. Nobody is destroying the economy, it's mainly the market is becoming stabilized. When the game first release everyone is flushed with AD (due to the founder pack) hence the value of AD was greatly inflated 500: 1, now that the supply of AD has been used up there's greater demand for AD than Zen hence increasing the value of AD.

The sky is not falling :P

Further interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_value
    edited June 2013
    This is called Market Equilibrium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_equilibrium

Basically AD is becoming more valuable compared to Zen due to diminishing amounts available to the consumer. To save you from TL;DR basically it's easier to purchase zen than to work for the amount of AD. Nobody is destroying the economy, it's mainly the market is becoming stabilized. When the game first release everyone is flushed with AD (due to the founder pack) hence the value of AD was greatly inflated 500: 1, now that the supply of AD has been used up there's greater demand for AD than Zen hence increasing the value of AD.

The sky is not falling :P

Further interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_value

Well if you are a true fan of Neverwinter, and want the game/company to succeed, if the majority of revenue begins going to exploiting farmers instead of people sending revenue to developers, it definitely is not a good thing. Yes its their own dumb fault, but its sad to see happening.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    not looking forward to the time when identify scrolls cost a buck each. :eek:

Nah, the worst they could ever be is 3 cents each (145 diamonds = 3 zen * 50). :D
    Does anyone who has played other cryptic games know if they ever lower the in-game prices of things?

I know they've made adjustments as to how easy/fast it is to earn Dilithium (the local diamond equivalent) in Star Trek. Don't think they've ever changed shop prices, though. Of course, there's very little in STO that's remotely close to how expensive stuff is in NWO. And it also doesn't use dilithium in the auction house. It's just exchanged for zen or used for buying vendor items & doing projects (crafting good gear, producing faction rep gear, building up your Guild starbase), so the economy is a bit different.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    In my analysis when Gauntlgrym is released AD might depreciate somewhat around 5-10% due to more sources of daily AD. I think around 315-270 AD per Zen would be the normal "stabilized" value of AD to Zen.
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Zen cash shop is way over priced. They should be nickel and diming us to death, not 10 and 20 dollar us to death. The name of the game is micro transaction and the suits these developers work for are out of touch with the amount of spendable income they think the average gamer has. I have disposable income, many more do not, but I will not spend a dime for anything until the really drop the prices hard in the cash shop.

Never use the word economy in a game, it isn't proper. to have an economy you need several things, finite resources, products that wear out to breakage, that's EVERYTHING including epics, seasonal items, one of items, one of breakable items, and developers using common sense to regulate the money markets, that's why they put prices on things kids.

In these games, everything is infinite, nothing breaks, money isn't regulated, that's why a person can list an epic piece of anything for hundreds of thousands or millions of AD and claim "What the market will bear" which in itself is comical. People place an item up for sale based on what they want, not based on value of the piece. jump up and down as much as you want, that's the way it is.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agreed. prices are utterly ridiculous. take 10x off and I might... might spend a few bucks on this game.
    I'm not spending $70-80 for a pet that doesn't suck, a better mount, extra bank space and a respec (which is sorely needed at level 60).