test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No solo content in Gauntlgrym at ALL?

blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Before you start by saying "this is an MMO, you play with other people" etc, yes I know that, and yes, I do enjoy playing with others on occasion. But sometimes I just want to solo a bit.

So I was kind of pumped for Gauntlgrym until I read up a bit on it and it seems that there will be no solo content at ALL. I am disappoint. Basically once you finish the main story there is nothing to do solo? Except randomly run around farming nodes and mobs?

C'mon NW, step up your game. A little solo content wouldn't kill you now would it?
Post edited by blazingfist on

Comments

• delionivercourtdelionivercourt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited June 2013
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Before you start by saying "this is an MMO, you play with other people" etc, yes I know that, and yes, I do enjoy playing with others on occasion. But sometimes I just want to solo a bit.

So I was kind of pumped for Gauntlgrym until I read up a bit on it and it seems that there will be no solo content at ALL. I am disappoint. Basically once you finish the main story there is nothing to do solo? Except randomly run around farming nodes and mobs?

C'mon NW, step up your game. A little solo content wouldn't kill you now would it?

Questions for you:

1) What percentage of the total game as it exists right now is soloable ?

2) What percentage of the total game as it exists right now focuses on team play ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game's got a plenty of solo content already but no raid-like content. This is the big raid everyone wanted and which they announced would launch with the game official launch. In fact, IIRC, they were planning this from the beginning, but didn't finish it before OBT launch. It's not a full-fledged module or content update, that's coming later this summer and will likely have a variety of stuff to do.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this guy serious? There's a ton of solo content in this game...
  • forumname012forumname012 Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2013
    Just take a look at the foundry, for example!
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Foundry.
    Unlimited solo content.

Otherwise do what all other mmo players in all other mmos do solo at max level-daily quests.
    MMO end game content will always be group oriented. Don't like it? Don't play it, but don't complain you can't do it.
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Foundry !

plus more letters
  • thahn204thahn204 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't care that there is "no solo" content in gauntlgyrm. You get plenty of that leveling up and through foundry quests. I'm pissed because of the forced pvp and tier 2 gear rewards. They shouldn't force pvp and winning it shouldn't determine if you get the more rewarding content. Also the fact that new "harder" content is going to reward t2 just like the stuff in-game already is stupid. They should have added a new tier unless they plan on making this closer to a t3 like have slightly better stats than the stuff in-game now.

I pvp but only on a couple of my 60's and when I feel like it. I have nothing against pvp just don't think it should be forced like this.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Mmo = Massively Multiplayer, not solo with some multiplayer if you want solo there is a TON on single player game, I play mmo's to group with friend's, I think you may be playing the wrong game if you want singleplayer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    go check out the trailer again and mind ure attention to the following sentence

"players wil gain acces to the dwarven kings dungeon based upon the TOTAL points gained of phase 1 AND phase 2"

Why do people q.q "force pvp on us" when it clearly states the final result is based upon phase 1 AND phase 2, even more its more PVE focused then PVP since phase 1 grants a resistence buff and that is PVE based.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why the heck are they even making any new content?

Frankly I'd rather see your designers fixing all those holes in the world we've been reporting, all those places we've been getting stuck, and all those dungeon exploits.
    And surely your programmers have bug counts in the hundreds....we've been waiting on those UI fixes for, well, you know.
    The only people you should have free are artists & animators and they should all be working on new outfits.

My $0.02
  • gaatorgaator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    t2 gear comes in quality sets, for instance theres a lower quality t2 giving 250 stat while the higher quality (and rarer with a set bonus) piece has 279 stat
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me be the first to state that Gauntlgrym will fail in its current form if they release it as is. Hate as much as you like, Gauntlgrym was not well thought out.............along with a lot of other choices in this game. A person has to wonder what happens at those meetings around that certain table....

Come the 20th, does anyone think there will be a huge surge of new players? Nope, just those that quit and those that paused and are seeing if PWE and Cryptic stopped patting themselves on the back and fixed the current mess.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    OMG, no solo content in Blackwing Lair AT ALL?

O.o
    edited June 2013
    ^ Haha, always nice to read a post where the writer assumes he knows all the player statistics and consumer mentality. Never gets old.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Foundry would be an answer if it weren't tuned so brutally high at 60.
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    OMG, no solo content in Blackwing Lair AT ALL?

That comment would make sense if it weren't for the way that WoW actually does have vast amounts of non-raid, solo/group/whatever content at the level cap. /shrug

But yeah - I'm expecting Module 1 to have more stuff.

---
    When I'd originally heard the first bits about Gaunt, yeah - I was expecting another adventure zone, with the new raid content contained within it. So there's be a range of activities you could do, not just more "It's 60? Hit queue!"
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    That comment would make sense if it weren't for the way that WoW actually does have vast amounts of non-raid, solo/group/whatever content at the level cap. /shrug
    Lets recap that quickly, there is doing daily quests, farming gathering nodes, endless farming random mobs, doing useless achievements, catching pokemons aaand thats pretty much it when it comes to solo content of WoW. Anything more then that requires at least one another player, therefore a group.
    To me seems like there is comparable amount of solo content at max level there if not less, because you know, foundry.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And here we have the “if you don’t play like I play then you are wrong!” thread.

The OP isn’t suggesting that you all give up your group content or that you must leave your digital summer camp and never see your friends again. He or she just wants some solo content in the upcoming expansions.
    ashensnow wrote: »

2) What percentage of the total game as it exists right now focuses on team play ?

These are good questions and by good I mean that they shamelessly support my point instead of reinforcing their original intent.

Most of the game is soloable, all of the game is available to groups. Did the developers not really mean it when they made 90% of the game solo friendly? Were they just asleep at the wheel and now looking to course correct? Will there be a wild swing between solo and group only content now. The OP would like some consistency and I don’t think it is too much to ask; unless the devs are just making this all up as they go, in which case it is quite a lot to ask.
    Mmo = Massively Multiplayer, not solo with some multiplayer if you want solo there is a TON on single player game, I play mmo's to group with friend's, I think you may be playing the wrong game if you want singleplayer.

Silly rabbit, most of this game is solo friendly. It is by any defining standard “solo with some multiplayer”. Ask your friends.
    itheryel wrote: »
    go check out the trailer again and mind ure attention to the following sentence

"players wil gain acces to the dwarven kings dungeon based upon the TOTAL points gained of phase 1 AND phase 2"

Why do people q.q "force pvp on us" when it clearly states the final result is based upon phase 1 AND phase 2, even more its more PVE focused then PVP since phase 1 grants a resistence buff and that is PVE based.
    Well if you need both phases and one of them is PVP then you are required to PVP aren’t you? Or is your point that you don’t need the PVP portion?

At any rate there are people who would rather shave off their own fingerprints than subject themselves to the twitchy hormone pool of PVP. And they have fewer options because of this.

It is what it is but let’s not try to call it fair or even. Simple math says it just aint so.

But more to the point, do the devs not know their playerbase? For whom did they make this game? Did they have any vision of their path forward when they did? Or did they just get some IP handed to them and have been running and gunning even since, because that’s what it looks like. Leaving out code, importing known exploits, making everything solo-accessible until – Hey now we are guild only!

This is end content, end content is not soloable!
    That’s a fair point. And to be fair, no game has ever really had solo friendly endgame content. The end game is all about corralling the players, slowing them down and hiding the fact that they are done with everything until the next expansion. And I don’t really have a rebuttal for that.

It would be innovative and new to have something like solo friendly end game content but given the performance up to now, traditional is about the best we are going to get and we will all be lucky if that stays solid.

So get a guild, cross your fingers and fight. Innovation is for the next game.
    edited June 2013
    ^Well, I don't see what's so wrong with offering something to the group of players which does not include you. Nobody forces you to PvP if you don't want to, it's ONE new thing that's not targeted at you. Why is that so bad if most of the rest of the content is, in fact, solo-friendly? People will complain about anything and everything, jeez.

Now, I would support the option to enter epic dungeons without queuing, so that the people who want to solo everything have a chance to, if they dare. But offering easy-mode flower-picking solo content with the same rewards as challenging group content - not in a lifetime.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I primarily solo as well. That being said, I would not begrudge the hardcore Raiders and PvP players their content. I actually have no problem with this being gated content. NW needs a good variety of content types to cover the bases for various play styles.
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    ^Well, I don't see what's so wrong with offering something to the group of players which does not include you. Nobody forces you to PvP if you don't want to, it's ONE new thing that's not targeted at you. Why is that so bad if most of the rest of the content is, in fact, solo-friendly? People will complain about anything and everything, jeez.

Now, I would support the option to enter epic dungeons without queuing, so that the people who want to solo everything have a chance to, if they dare. But offering easy-mode flower-picking solo content with the same rewards as challenging group content - not in a lifetime.

I don’t remember saying anything about rewards… wait let me read my post…hrrm…and then…hmm… nope, not a thing. So you just made that up. Creative though.

But for what its worth I agree. And if the rewards scaled to the party then there would be no trouble but I’m certain that technology doesn’t extend that far at the moment. So the idea may not even be doable. Well, someone will do it eventually. It just isn’t possible with this crew.

Let’s also see what I said about PVP…hrrm reading…comprehension…Ah yes. I never said people had to PVP. I said that if PVP is required for part of the experience (score?) then you have to do that or you have fewer options. I never even said it was bad. YOU hung that word on it. (and thanks for that)

But you would support opening epic dungeons to solo participants? That’s very nice of you. Where is that inclusive spirit otherwise? No one says you have to give up your en-mass pillow fights with dragons. Like to group with people? Awesome, go for it.

I just suggested that solo players be included rather than excluded.

So to recap, I suggested that players who are currently excluded be included without denying anyone else their game experience.

You say some people will complain about anything.

And I agree.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So from what I saw on the video on Gaunt...

Round 1:You PvE first. Team with the best score gets a buff going into round 2.

Round 2: You PvP against the other team. Team with best score gets access to Tier 2 dungeon. 2nd place team gets access to Tier 1 dungeon.

Round 3: Run your assigned dungeon.

Did I miss anything? Sounds like PvP AND PvE are both required.
    edited June 2013
    Yes, I should cede that my point is mostly academic.

The mechanics are what they are, there really isn’t any room in the process for solo content. I know that. I just wonder if there will be any solo avenues coming up or if what is solo now is all there will ever be.

From here on out will it be group only? That would be sad.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Soloing in an MMO is not singleplayer
    Multiplayer is not synonymous with grouping.
    That being said - yes, while players in MMOs should be able to reach endgame cofortably by soloing - and there should be endgame content designed to accommodate solo players, that does not mean that all endgame content should be designed to accommodate solo players.

There's plenty of stuff for solo players to do endgame. Tons of Foundry quests. And it's possible to solo standard dungeons.
    Gauntlegrym is basically a raid designed for guilds. If you don't want to join a guild, don't QQ about not being able to play content designed for guilds to play.
    The only thing preventing you from joining a guild is your own self.

Why in the world should epic dungeons be opened to solo players??
    What's opened up for solo players is the ability to solo standard 5-man dungeons.
    Epic is just those standard dungeons with a difficulty ramped up for a party of level 60s in epic gear.
    If you aren't going to be in an epic party, you don't need epic gear.

And, yeah, I'm typically a solo player.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Gauntlegrym is basically a raid designed for guilds. If you don't want to join a guild, don't QQ about not being able to play content designed for guilds to play.

Yep, and I've always been fine saying "ok, that content over there is for groups/large groups/whatever". I think part of it is just dashed expectations, due to not knowing what Gaunt was going to be. I mean, we knew from the dailies that there were going to be queued pve content, queued pvp content, and queued dungeon content (different than the "pve" stuff, since it was another daily). But that didn't tell us the scale, or whether that would be all of it. So, obviously, there's got to be a bit of disappointment in some quarters.

(Which, this being an internet gaming forum, is expressed by some people in a rather....... opinionated.... way. :D)
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Questions for you:

1) what percentage of the lvl 60 game as it exists right now is soloable ?

2) What percentage of the lvl 60 game as it exists right now focuses on team play ?

fixed, and I'll add a few extra

3) how long does it take to get a 5 player team together to do 3 Castle Nevers ? (back to back)

4) how long would it be to get a team of 20 together, that have enough time to do all THREE stages of this new "content" ?

IDK about other people but simply getting 5 players to be online at same time, and available to play that much without any real breaks, is an issue in itself, but add the "must be in a guild" and "can only group with those allied with what your guild is allied with" AND, that you are rallying on ANOTHER team of 20, to be on other team ready to do the que for PvP portion........ even queing solo for some things you have a long wait time, let alone a team of 20, all getting board waiting on que.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You can't solo 20m content are you high or something?
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    I don’t remember saying anything about rewards… wait let me read my post…hrrm…and then…hmm… nope, not a thing. So you just made that up. Creative though.

But for what its worth I agree. And if the rewards scaled to the party then there would be no trouble but I’m certain that technology doesn’t extend that far at the moment. So the idea may not even be doable. Well, someone will do it eventually. It just isn’t possible with this crew.

Let’s also see what I said about PVP…hrrm reading…comprehension…Ah yes. I never said people had to PVP. I said that if PVP is required for part of the experience (score?) then you have to do that or you have fewer options. I never even said it was bad. YOU hung that word on it. (and thanks for that)

But you would support opening epic dungeons to solo participants? That’s very nice of you. Where is that inclusive spirit otherwise? No one says you have to give up your en-mass pillow fights with dragons. Like to group with people? Awesome, go for it.

I just suggested that solo players be included rather than excluded.

So to recap, I suggested that players who are currently excluded be included without denying anyone else their game experience.

You say some people will complain about anything.

And I agree.
    Thing is they aren't as excluded as you pretend they are, especially with most of the rest of the game tuned to soloers while PvPers have to run the same few maps over and over.

Adding content exclusive to certain groups is not fewer options, it's more options. It's options you don't have to take if you don't like them, but they're additional options nonetheless. If you choose not to run them, then YOU are limiting yourself, not the game.

As for the epic dungeons - all of the heroic dungeons are already theoretically solo-able, so I see no reason not to allow people to shortman/solo epics. No difficulty scaling, of course - a dragon wouldn't use a mildly-warm fire if it saw a poor weak solo adventurer, it'd just eat the unprepared fool.

It's also impossible to just "include soloers into group/PvP content without denying anyone else their game experience" - if you have a recipe for a magic way to balance everything for everyone, then by all means throw out your suggestions. Or you could be a good boy and wait while the devs work on a variety of content for all types of players. You'll get your candy when it's your turn, but it isn't right now.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    You can't solo 20m content are you high or something?

their point was that the staff should have also added a few 1 person repeatable missions.

NOT that they wanted to solo a 20V1
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Foundry would be an answer if it weren't tuned so brutally high at 60.

But yeah - I'm expecting Module 1 to have more stuff.

---
    When I'd originally heard the first bits about Gaunt, yeah - I was expecting another adventure zone, with the new raid content contained within it. So there's be a range of activities you could do, not just more "It's 60? Hit queue!"

Bingo, and WoW is busting their collective asses to add more of the dungeon and story experience at end game because folks are sick of not getting to be part of the story unless they raid, the same thing is happening over at DCUO, smed just talked about the huge voice that is the solo/duo player and that it's not about lack of leveling content it was lack of viable end game content. And as much as I'm impressed with the Foundry authors so far, they are not going to fill that void.

Also screaming this is a MMO and find a guild is not going to keep that huge demographic paying for the game.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!