test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gauntlgrym Guild Only ?

warpuppy001warpuppy001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I don't know if there are posts about this elsewhere but meh.The new Gauntlgrym release. I think this sucks in a way..Why do we have to only be in a guild? What if we play alone? I mean the game is it not going to cater for solo players ? This is a let down and a half considering the game is really good. Some people who do play alone may go back to other gaming instead of NW..If a solo player can not play Gauntlgrym this means he/she can not further themselves in the game and be left way behind.
Post edited by warpuppy001 on

Comments

• Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know if there are posts about this elsewhere but meh.The new Gauntlgrym release. I think this sucks in a way..Why do we have to only be in a guild? What if we play alone? I mean the game is it not going to cater for solo players ? This is a let down and a half considering the game is really good. Some people who do play alone may go back to other gaming instead of NW..If a solo player can not play Gauntlgrym this means he/she can not further themselves in the game and be left way behind.

Just join a guild then or create one yourself , what's the big deal ?
  • Options
    vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guilds will dominate a 20 vs 20 battle anyways, is this not obvious? Do you want to queue up with a bunch of other solo players that don't communicate whatsoever and then gripe on the forums when guilds are the only ones winning Gauntlgrym? I don't know how the queue system is going to work, but I would imagine you might have to be in at least a party of 5 and then that group queues up. Makes sense to me anyways.
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vikoon wrote: »
    Guilds will dominate a 20 vs 20 battle anyways, is this not obvious? Do you want to queue up with a bunch of other solo players that don't communicate whatsoever and then gripe on the forums when guilds are the only ones winning Gauntlgrym? I don't know how the queue system is going to work, but I would imagine you might have to be in at least a party of 5 and then that group queues up. Makes sense to me anyways.

+1 ... i totally agree, in addition to that. I DONT WANT TO PARTY WITH BOTS ! HAHA
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Just join a guild then or create one yourself , what's the big deal ?
    I was in a guild but left it. I was just asking if a person desires to play alone nothing more.

And yes BOTS definately not was just wondering.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was in a guild but left it. I was just asking if a person desires to play alone nothing more.

forever alone?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    forever alone?
    No not forever... just for a little bit :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

And yes BOTS definately not was just wondering.

It's a MMO , just saying .
  • Options
    elahndraelahndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 ... i totally agree, in addition to that. I DONT WANT TO PARTY WITH BOTS ! HAHA
    I don't know if they were just too lazy to to make extensive content for both pvp and pve or if they really do think (somewhere in their heads) that merging the two is a good idea; as balancing one around the other is going to be a literal nightmare. This coming from about 15 mmo's I've played that have all tried to cater to both pvp and pve with really no great success. My guess is they will have to completely rebalance every class around pvp, then rebalance dungeons around those changes. The idea is quite novel. We will have to see it's actual execution to know how it will work but this is literally the one thing that I hate. I like my pve without pvp and vice versa. When you mix the two you're just creating more trouble then what you had to begin with. I want to know who's idea this was so I can petition Cryptic directly to fire them. If all of the content is going to be mixed like this I may not even bother. I had a hard enough time in 5 man pvp as DC really enjoying my time. Now, My healing has taken a considerable hit, my survivability is decreased markedly, and now I have 15 other people to contend with focusing me down. It does not SEEM like it will be fun at all to me; already balancing on a thin ledge of whether to quit this perma debuffed class or not as is.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It makes sense. Guilds join factions, not individual players, so you won't have same guild on 2 opposing sides.
    Again, it only makes sense this way in normally faction less mmo.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There are certain MMOs that exclude skills from PvP or reduce their healing / dmg drasticly.

How hard is it to implement something like this in NW , so everyone and their dog can be happy lol ?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    elahndra wrote: »
    I don't know if they were just too lazy to to make extensive content for both pvp and pve or if they really do think (somewhere in their heads) that merging the two is a good idea; as balancing one around the other is going to be a literal nightmare. This coming from about 15 mmo's I've played that have all tried to cater to both pvp and pve with really no great success. My guess is they will have to completely rebalance every class around pvp, then rebalance dungeons around those changes. The idea is quite novel. We will have to see it's actual execution to know how it will work but this is literally the one thing that I hate. I like my pve without pvp and vice versa. When you mix the two you're just creating more trouble then what you had to begin with. I want to know who's idea this was so I can petition Cryptic directly to fire them. If all of the content is going to be mixed like this I may not even bother. I had a hard enough time in 5 man pvp as DC really enjoying my time. Now, My healing has taken a considerable hit, my survivability is decreased markedly, and now I have 15 other people to contend with focusing me down. It does not SEEM like it will be fun at all to me; already balancing on a thin ledge of whether to quit this perma debuffed class or not as is.

you are a close minded person. there are alot of MMORPG at its success now that have PVE and PVP together. its INNOVATION man! you better be the one who needs to think and research more.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    you are a close minded person. there are alot of MMORPG at its success now that have PVE and PVP together. its INNOVATION man! you better be the one who needs to think and research more.

Someone being close minded is a matter of perception. Unless you play a cleric you wouldn't exactly know the game from the point of view of one. I posted my opinion and used the word SEEMS (keyword). I don't state anything in certainties outside of my personal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> class mechanics.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Someone being close minded is a matter of perception. Unless you play a cleric you wouldn't exactly know the game from the point of view of one.

why play a cleric if you cant take the responsiblity?
    and if its going to be PVP and PVE, for sure its going to be like 20 vs 20 or more.

if you are tired healing (if you are the only cleric around), why not have 10 clerics? is that a problem?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    why play a cleric if you cant take the responsiblity?
    and if its going to be PVP and PVE, for sure its going to be like 20 vs 20 or more.

if you are tired healing (if you are the only cleric around), why not have 10 clerics? is that a problem?

So you're solution to a cleric being overwhelmed in PvP is to just bring more of them...ok...If I'm closed minded you are just blatantly ignorant of class balance. It's ok. Like I said it SEEMS like a bad idea. I havn't seen it in action so I CAN'T know for sure. Some people are just too quick to jump on someone's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Go take a pill or toke on a pipe of whatever you need to see things in a non-biased manner then feel free to comment on things you have no experience of. On the matter of responsibility. I have solo healed every tier 2 while most people have to resort to double stacking DC or expoits. Don't judge people rashly without knowing them.. Oh! wait this is America I forgot. How dare I expect constructive conversation.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So you're solution to a cleric being overwhelmed in PvP is to just bring more of them...ok...If I'm closed minded you are just blatantly ignorant of class balance. It's ok. Like I said it SEEMS like a bad idea. I havn't seen it in action so I CAN'T know for sure. Some people are just too quick to jump on someone's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Go take a pill or toke on a pipe of whatever you need to see things in a non-biased manner then feel free to comment on things you have no experience of. On the matter of responsibility. I have solo healed every tier 2 while most people have to resort to double stacking DC or expoits. Don't judge people rashly without knowing them.. Oh! wait this is America I forgot. How dare I expect constructive conversation.

lol you are the who started being conclusive regarding the idea. why cant you just shut your *** and wait for it til it comes?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lol you are the who started being conclusive regarding the idea. why cant you just shut your *** and wait for it til it comes?

Maybe they've tested already the changes on the PTR unlike you ?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Wow troll much? I'm not even going to bother feeding you anymore. What? Are you 15 or something...seriously kids these days...and yes I have tested considerably for DC anyways. I havn't really got around to my CW. However, my DC is my main and where my focus is aligned.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Maybe they've tested already the changes on the PTR unlike you ?

oh ok, and if you guys proved that is a huge mistake? so what now? big deal? then dont do gauntlgrym. not all of you doesnt like it, there are some who wants it too.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    oh ok, and if you guys proved that is a huge mistake? so what now? big deal? then dont do gauntlgrym. not all of you doesnt like it, there are some who wants it too.

Ok, well unfortunately regardless of whatever imbalances arise from this next round of adjustments I will have to play it if I want to see the new content; which I do. I've always played healer and love the play-style (besides a two year stretch of warlock hotness towards the end of my WoW days) I don't have a choice not to play it so yea...
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

The OP was simply expressing his/her opinion and, if you'd look around the forums a bit, you will find there are many concerned with Gauntlgrym.

One concern is that is FORCES people to Guild when a lot of folks do not want to Guild. Another flaw is that people are going to drop out when a portion of the content they do not like comes along which hurts the rest of the team. There are more, but not necessary to rehash here to make a point. Also the OP did not say that he/she wouldn't try it, just that she had concerns.

In case you did not know, that is what the forum is for. Voicing concerns, discussing the game, making suggestions, etc.
  • Options
    roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    It seems to me that Gauntlgrym is going to require a cohesive and communicative group, and therefore it is logical for it to be a guild activity.

For disclosure, I often tackle content solo (when I can) I find it more immersive and enjoyable. I do enjoy seeing others in town, and interacting through the auction house, etc. In an idealistic way, I wish that all content could be enjoyed by players of all playstyles, that restrictions such as those attached to Gauntlgrym did not exist. However, I'm sure that trying to achieve such an ideal is fraught with logistical problems.

It seems that the comprimise would be to generate content for different playstyles on as equal a basis as possible. I'm happy to give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt here, ultimately this is one of the most accessible online games out there. For those of us who enjoy immersive story and solo adventure in a living world, let us look forward to the upcoming module!
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This thread will likely be closed soon, but since I participated in another thread on this very subject a few days ago (which was also closed for no good reason except that some folks were being asshats), there's no good reason to require guild membership. If people want to attempt this content by joining an existing group, there's no reason not to allow them to do so. As it stands, if one doesn't want to join a guild, they will be locked out of at least part of this content, which seems rather silly to do. The content gives both PvP and PvE players alike something nice to do, and I support the mechanics of the content the way it's been described, but requiring guild membership doesn't make much sense.

Full disclaimer: I saw many of the same arguments in the prior thread (it's an MMO, why do you play it if you don't want to play with people, etc.) but all of these fail because of the way the game is designed. You can play single-player the entirity of the game and if you don't want to PvP, you are never forced to do so... until Gauntlgrym. In fact, without being a member of a guild, you effectively are locked out of single-player content. That's never happened in this game before.

Even fuller disclaimer: After pointing out in the prior thread that I had no use for guilds, and several pointed out that there are ways to create a guild without joining one (although it's not as easy as it seems), I checked out the guild recruitment thread. Players had claimed that there are many guilds that put no requirements on you as a player at all, but I found that skeptical. It only took me a few minutes to find a recruitment post for such a guild, so I emailed the recruiter and told them directly that I had no use for the guild, would not be filling out any applications, visiting websites, signing up for anything, pledging to do anything for the guild, and that I only wanted to join in order to be able to play Gauntlgrym when it is released. I was made a member of the guild the next time I logged on. I am pleasantly surprised that there are guilds out there that require absolutely nothing of the members, if that is your desire. Even though the requirement still makes no sense at all to me, this is probably the best way around it if you are interested in this content.

Now I must get back to crafting many, many pairs of pants.
  • Options
    lordxoruslordxorus Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    so, the group that doesn't win the pvp will just leave, I suppose, since they can't get a chance at the t2 gear, right?

ya know that's what will happen ;)
    Wanted: Hero *Lil Chubs*

Foundry Search: Wanted: Hero Lil Chubs
  • Options
    ricktus1973ricktus1973 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They could just make separate q systems. One for guilds and one for random pugs. Throw in some randomization on the guilds being q'd up and that might make it work better for everyone.
  • Options
    realdadiorealdadio Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm guessing that the T1 and T2 gear that drop in Gauntylgrym will be better than the current T1 and T2 dungeons. To be Honest I see the arguments by some that being in a guild as a requirement is a bit Unfair.

I look at this content as guild specific which is not that bad......I like the idea of guild vs guild content. Pugging this would be a nightmare.......communication would be non-existent and people would get frustrated real quick.

Perhaps something that would allow a group of 5 friends to que up and join a faction could be implented? I'm in a guild so really doesn't bother me.....just throwing this out there.
  • Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited June 2013
    LOL...They make a PvP/PVE dungeon and make it guild only...Guess they have no idea what makes PvP dungeons awesome in other games. Not to mention there are NO good PvP guilds or clans across any game since Shadowbane. Just a bunch of COD kiddies!
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vortican wrote: »

LOL, this is completely off topic, but every time I read one of your posts I get this image of you sweating away at a loom with some Rumpelstiltskin character hovering over you cajoling you to work harder.
  • Options
    bigbadjakebigbadjake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vortican wrote: »
    This thread will likely be closed soon, but since I participated in another thread on this very subject a few days ago (which was also closed for no good reason except that some folks were being asshats), there's no good reason to require guild membership. If people want to attempt this content by joining an existing group, there's no reason not to allow them to do so. As it stands, if one doesn't want to join a guild, they will be locked out of at least part of this content, which seems rather silly to do. The content gives both PvP and PvE players alike something nice to do, and I support the mechanics of the content the way it's been described, but requiring guild membership doesn't make much sense.

Full disclaimer: I saw many of the same arguments in the prior thread (it's an MMO, why do you play it if you don't want to play with people, etc.) but all of these fail because of the way the game is designed. You can play single-player the entirity of the game and if you don't want to PvP, you are never forced to do so... until Gauntlgrym. In fact, without being a member of a guild, you effectively are locked out of single-player content. That's never happened in this game before.

Even fuller disclaimer: After pointing out in the prior thread that I had no use for guilds, and several pointed out that there are ways to create a guild without joining one (although it's not as easy as it seems), I checked out the guild recruitment thread. Players had claimed that there are many guilds that put no requirements on you as a player at all, but I found that skeptical. It only took me a few minutes to find a recruitment post for such a guild, so I emailed the recruiter and told them directly that I had no use for the guild, would not be filling out any applications, visiting websites, signing up for anything, pledging to do anything for the guild, and that I only wanted to join in order to be able to play Gauntlgrym when it is released. I was made a member of the guild the next time I logged on. I am pleasantly surprised that there are guilds out there that require absolutely nothing of the members, if that is your desire. Even though the requirement still makes no sense at all to me, this is probably the best way around it if you are interested in this content.

Agree with this and the OP. What got me and many others into this game in the first place was the ease of joining groups for whatever it is that you wished to accomplish. Yes, it's an mmo, but I assure you there are many players that do not wish to join a guild for a variety of reasons. Many people may wish to join a guild at some point, after spending time with a certain group that they get along with, but do not want to be rushed into this decision just to be able to access content.

I for one stopped playing nwn as soon as I read the note regarding mandatory guild grouping.

Just my 2c
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thebriman wrote: »
    LOL, this is completely off topic, but every time I read one of your posts I get this image of you sweating away at a loom with some Rumpelstiltskin character hovering over you cajoling you to work harder.

It is a lot of work (crafting this many pairs of pants), but what will the citizens of Neverwinter do if I do not keep them in pants? Surely, we cannot have everyone pantsless.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have always primarily been a solo player in MMOs. I am a staunch advocate for PvE leveling to be solo friendly.
    In Neverwinter, I primarily duo with a guildie.
    Neverwinter is the first game where I've actually enjoyed endgame content - PvP, skirmishes and dungeon-delving are fun. Also a plus that I can solo low-end dungeons.

But, one of the arguments I've never understood is the rant against not being able to play content you don't like to play or gain gear for content that you don't like to play.
    If you don't PvP, you don't need PvP gear. If you don't like to form raids, you don't need raid gear. If you don't like to join guilds, don't play the guild-oriented content.

On the other hand, if you want to join a guild, probably easy enough to make friends to form a guild by playing PvP.
    The guild I'm in, the O'Limpyans, is about as low key as can be. No requirements. We just have fun chatting and playing together whenever there's time available.

Gauntlgrym doesn't help players "further themeselves in the game". It's not going to level anyone beyond the 60 cap.
    It's just another endgame activity for people who enjoy team PvP.