test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which is the best T2 set for a PvE CW?

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Library
Im currently using the archmage set, and the set bonus is sooo useful. especialyl with steal time.

But if i had to upgrade to T2, for kicks. which set would it be? the shadow weaver set bonus seems pretty bad, and magelord seems situational (and the recovery over 3000 wouldnt be as useful i would guess?) the vizier set looks interesting, but does it steal defense off every monster you hit or just the one?

thanks for your time!
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• Options
    dameion5dameion5 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm looking for an answer too... In fact i'm just buyng Ancient Slave Master's Ring and Belt without wasting AD for a set i wouldn't use. Any hints ? Imho Shadoweaver's would be good if not broken. You can get recovery easly with Enhancements...
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    well obviously before nerfs..shadow weaver. Ive been in magelord though and Im curious how all these Shadow weaver enthusiasts are going to react after fixes on this set and if they will still get and give the awweesome dps buffs they've been "responsible for" in the past.
  • Options
    cynabal2cynabal2 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Shadow weaver will still likely be the best preforming 4 set bonus in PVE. 30% crit severity is nothing to sneeze at.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't know..i've heard owners of both sets tell me they stand around waiting for dailies to pop with shadow weaver...with magelord dailies are always up...but thats only what Ive heard..been trying to get a SW set together to see myself.
  • Options
    bowiethemantisbowiethemantis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Playing a Thaum CW here, today I completed my Shadow Weaver set (freaking chest was a nightmare in Spider Temple), from some basic tests in a couple T2 runs I can see the set clearly buffs the party damage (TR was tripping how he got above 17M lol), but my own survivability went down, compared to wearing half Vizier's half Shadow.
    Don't know if the set bonus deactivated or if it was actually working (though it looked like it was), but I struggled at some points to keep my dailies up (using shield, steal time, etc)
    If I can, I'm going to see the changes in the Preview Shard, though I predict.. disappointment, and an incoming respec for my wizard.
    Haven't got the chance to try Magelord yet, but if this is how the set is supposed to work I guess I'll drop it for most of my runs and maybe just use it in pvp.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    in the patch notes it also mentions that shadoweaver will proc on encounter usage, does this mean terrain wont stack it constantly? which means getting 3 stacks would be pretty difficult to keep up?

another thing, im currently using archmage and the 1 second off every cast seems to be extremely beneficial, to gain extra AP and with the slow-time bug. would i be losing too much upgrading to magelord?

Why use any other set over Archmage?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • Options
    xmaclolxmaclol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After the patch High Vizir could be way to go, get is now fast since its cheap.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    xmaclol wrote: »
    After the patch High Vizir could be way to go, get is now fast since its cheap.

On the test shard it stacks on you up to 3 times, +1,350 defense total. Each control power will add one stack per enemy hit.

It also stacks on enemies up to 3 times each (steal time is instant 3 stacks) and reduces their defense by -1,350.

It's kind of awesome.
  • Options
    vindicitvindicit Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Will you have enough GS if you only use the Archmage set to get into Castle Never? It seems to have the best passives for CC
  • Options
    rivetedriveted Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vindicit wrote: »
    Will you have enough GS if you only use the Archmage set to get into Castle Never? It seems to have the best passives for CC

A T1 set will get you about half-way there. Find purples for the rest of your slots, add some enchantments, and you shouldn't have a problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wow if the vizier change is true, 1450 defense is around 23-25% extra damage. does this stack with ARP i wonder? such a buff for all party seems amazingly awesome, even better than the shadow weaver set bonus.

does the shadow weaver still proc on icy terrain?
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    On the test shard it stacks on you up to 3 times, +1,350 defense total. Each control power will add one stack per enemy hit.

It also stacks on enemies up to 3 times each (steal time is instant 3 stacks) and reduces their defense by -1,350.

It's kind of awesome.

On Live it also gives you 3 times the bonus. So far only 2 Encounters proc, they are Icy Terrain and Chill Strike. Chill Strike in a regular slot gives you 2 times the bonus, in Mastery it gives you 3 times the bonus.
    Steel Time, Shield (knockback), Icy Rays, RoE, Entangling Force, not even Ray of Frost trigger the bonus effect.
    It would be a really nice set armor, if they let the other "control" powers trigger it.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    now i believe 1350 is around 22% reduction? does that mean arp becomes redundant when this set is used? or does it go into the minuses?
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    High Vizier, without a doubt. Shadow is overpriced and crit is not as important to wizards as people seem to think it is. Recovery, Recovery, Recovery.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I dont know about the results you guys are getting. With shadow weaver i top the vast majority of dps in t2 CN and i dont feel squishy. I run with rene and a range of encounters.

I think everyone enjoys the extra crit severity.
  • Options
    astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    I dont know about the results you guys are getting. With shadow weaver i top the vast majority of dps in t2 CN and i dont feel squishy. I run with rene and a range of encounters.

I think everyone enjoys the extra crit severity.

I'd recommend u to read this thread, dude. It like really rocks.
    Noone give a f**k about you being top dps in any of T2s or CN. Well, except yourself ofc. Srsly, noone care - all you need is to kill a boss and get dem phat lewtz. And CW job is crowd control. It doesnt matter your singularity explodes for 6k or 2.5k on 30 adds - as long as u keep grabbing 30 adds with singualrity.

So, imo shadow weaver is only good for buffing dem rogues. As well as High Vizier.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yes i agree, we shouldnt be too focused on damage, though damage doesnt hurt in some scenarios. im really interested in high vizier but its benefical to everyone whos attacking, not just dem rogues. other wizards too. if you can give 22% extra damage to anyone attacking the targets its a huge bonus all round. shadowweaver im a bit hesitant on because it says it buffs the allies nearby the target, so any range would be subject to this.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    astronax wrote: »
    I'd recommend u to read this thread, dude. It like really rocks.
    Noone give a f**k about you being top dps in any of T2s or CN. Well, except yourself ofc. Srsly, noone care - all you need is to kill a boss and get dem phat lewtz. And CW job is crowd control. It doesnt matter your singularity explodes for 6k or 2.5k on 30 adds - as long as u keep grabbing 30 adds with singualrity.

So, imo shadow weaver is only good for buffing dem rogues. As well as High Vizier.

Lol i have read that thread and control without issues. Just throw EF in mastery and you will have all the AP you need.

I have no issue with controlling adds and applying non stop AS. Youdo know you can do that and still top the meters.

Its why the poster said who cares but feats you have. Well i do and that is why i top dps meters while giving off debuffs to my team mates.

I think you have issues with producing both results at the same time. 32m in CN yesterday.

Umm dont know about you but we all get the benefits from the set. Im really not sure what your point is. Massive added crit severity benefits all in the group.

I know its going to get nerfed in the next patch and vizier will be the go to set only because of the nerf.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lol i have read that thread and control without issues. Just throw EF in mastery and you will have all the AP you need.

I have no issue with controlling adds and applying non stop AS. Youdo know you can do that and still top the meters.

Its why the poster said who cares but feats you have. Well i do and that is why i top dps meters while giving off debuffs to my team mates.

I think you have issues with producing both results at the same time. 32m in CN yesterday.

Lol i dont have any troubles with topping the meters either. And I'm really not sure why u keep bragging about it, its just easiest thing u can do as CW, even when geared pretty tanky.
    Umm dont know about you but we all get the benefits from the set. Im really not sure what your point is. Massive added crit severity benefits all in the group.

Umm, unless u are not dealing with adds right under Dracolich booty, this is BS, my young friend. :D Only those in close range getting benefits from Shadow Weaver. Its kinda even stated in set description.
    Tho, i didnt say SW is a bad set, since buffing rogue with 30% severity is strong by itself. And even more - SW, definitely, provides the best stats for PvP.
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand why people seem to think that wizards can only do top dps OR crowd control effectively. Trust in the fact, that they can do both, and that the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Stacking recovery above the soft cap does nothing but give you a false illusion that you are crowd controlling more effectively. With the correct skill setup, you can CC just as effectively with around 3k Recovery as you can with 6k Recovery, meaning that you will allow yourself to stack more crit and armor pen for more damage.

People that say that wizards are just for CC haven't quite learned how to play the game yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I should always learn never argue with an idiot they will drag you down to their (your) level and beat you with experience. But once again into the fray.

Your post regarding my intitial post and your subsquent post still dont make sense. I didnt brag about DMeters for epeen. I stated that I and the vast majority of people run with shadow weaver for a reason. I stated that i have found that i am able to play my class exactly as required in each situation and still produce effective damage results in shadow weaver.

I sense from your replies that you do not. All you did when i mentioned damage meters is send me to a post about how we shouldnt do or care about damage just control.

I still dont understand why you thought i needed to read it. To state the obvious its not my fault you cant achieve dps results and control results at the same time. Did you think that topping the meters means you cant be highly effective at control :)

By pointing to that post you are unequivocally stating that your poor results are because your are more control focused rather than the simple fact

You lack skill.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people seem to think that wizards can only do top dps OR crowd control effectively. Trust in the fact, that they can do both, and that the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Stacking recovery above the soft cap does nothing but give you a false illusion that you are crowd controlling more effectively. With the correct skill setup, you can CC just as effectively with around 3k Recovery as you can with 6k Recovery, meaning that you will allow yourself to stack more crit and armor pen for more damage.

People that say that wizards are just for CC haven't quite learned how to play the game yet.

+1 (astro just try harder.you will get there or not but at least you tried right)
  • Options
    teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It's kind of awesome.

This is exactly why I bought a full set for just over 200K today on my new CW :D I predict a steep price jump relatively soon lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This is exactly why I bought a full set for just over 200K today on my new CW :D I predict a steep price jump relatively soon lol.

Me too and when i think about how much the shadow weaver costs
  • Options
    roidragemltroidragemlt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So is High Vizier the way to go after the upcoming nerfs? If so tell me so I purchase the set quickly before prices go sky high =)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You should definitely pick up a set. @200k for the 4pieces, it's a no-brainer. I think for trash/adds duty, it will be good to have the Vizier. If you're going on Boss duty, you can switch it out for Shadow.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    With the correct skill setup, you can CC just as effectively with around 3k Recovery as you can with 6k Recovery, meaning that you will allow yourself to stack more crit and armor pen for more damage.
    Exactly, i agree. There are no really good stats for CW atm, if you are above 3k recovery. So, that why stacking crit and arpen is not a bad idea. And lol, yes, i do stack it too - sitting around 9k offensive stats atm.
    Lol did i ever say its exclusive? Lol did u guys even read?;) I do trust you and do both things myself. I just struggle to see any point in second (doing top damage). It just happens without any efforts from my side.
    I sense from your replies that you do not. All you did when i mentioned damage meters is send me to a post about how we shouldnt do or care about damage just control.
    By pointing to that post you are unequivocally stating that your poor results are because your are more control focused rather than the simple fact*

You lack skill.
    Some serious psychological analysis been done here. Could you do me a favor and not to tell my wife im cheating on her, please?:eek:
    Your post regarding my intitial post and your subsquent post still dont make sense.
    Well, i'll explain for the most gifted among us. This thread is about T2 sets. My point is: Shadow Weaver set is overrated and thus overprised. Its not bad, but its not perfect, IMO. I personally like its offensive stats, but set bonus sucks. High Vizier has it better.
    As lupita170 said, as i agreed - u can effectively do your job with 3k recovery. Other stats - is a personal choice and do not matter at all. Most of us, like you and me, going for offensive stats, but defensive are 100% viable too.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also Gladiator Set will actually be a good option for CN Draco. Having Entangling Force in Mastery available every 7.5sec will make AP Regen constantly full.
  • Options
    nipsnapsnipsnaps Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    High vizier might actually be near worthless for properly geared groups, since people will cap ArPen for their own chars pretty much since it is the top DPS stat till the def% cap. Also you will lose almost 600 rating points on regen, which is... *snort* =P

Shadow weaver isn't about own dmg at dracolich, but the rogues. Giving the rog more crit severity is key. Also the extra lifeleech will make the rogues more durable versus random add hits as they will fill themselves up nice n fast.

Gladiator is actually a great set once the bonus finally works. 25% on mastery CD? Brilliant. ArPen and the other ratings? Excellent!

The wild card is actually Archmage set with the -1sec CD proc on control powers ... at-will powers, what are those? =P The Archmage will be the ultimate controller, the set also has more defensive stats in deflect. Now if that regen was even MORE defense it would be neat. =P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nipsnaps wrote: »
    High vizier might actually be near worthless for properly geared groups, since people will cap ArPen for their own chars pretty much since it is the top DPS stat till the def% cap. Also you will lose almost 600 rating points on regen, which is... *snort* =P

Shadow weaver isn't about own dmg at dracolich, but the rogues. Giving the rog more crit severity is key. Also the extra lifeleech will make the rogues more durable versus random add hits as they will fill themselves up nice n fast.

Gladiator is actually a great set once the bonus finally works. 25% on mastery CD? Brilliant. ArPen and the other ratings? Excellent!

The wild card is actually Archmage set with the -1sec CD proc on control powers ... at-will powers, what are those? =P The Archmage will be the ultimate controller, the set also has more defensive stats in deflect. Now if that regen was even MORE defense it would be neat. =P

With Astral Shield not being up 100% of the time post-changes, I think you are underestimating the Def buff of the Vizier. Also with the changes to the Power stat and Aggro/Threat, ArP may not be top priority for some classes, even Plague Fire may be replaced to some other beneficial weapon Enchant.

Also with the Shadow Weaver, I am interested to know how often of a chance do you get to land a control or non-control spells on the boss, to give the TRs the buff? You must be some kickA$$ CW on them adds :P