test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Review for a Review - Exarah's Tomb: The Forgotten

katah1969katah1969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Good evening everyone,

It's been a few days since my last review for a review post and in this time away from running quests and participating on the forums, I've made some pretty significant changes to the overall look and feel of my quest. Encounters are as they were meant to be - no hard or standard difficulty encounters with the exception of the few "boss" encounters. This make for a much easier run for post level 50 players and a nice and simple dungeon run for doing Daily Foundry quests.

Most of my focus has been on putting some polish on areas that through your feedback, were deemed to be a little lacking - namely the ending crypt. You simply won't recognize it now!

I'd like to offer once again, a review for a review.

I've included below names and quest tags for those who have taken me up on this offer in the past just to make it easier to see if you have already run the quest. If you have run Exarah's Tomb: The Forgotten already, you are certainly welcome to run it again and see what's new and different. Remember, it was the people listed below that has helped push me to make the quest even better!

If you are new to my quest, just reply and I'll add you to my list if you have a quest you want reviewed as well. I'll post my feedback as an edit to this post.

===

My Quest:

Exarah's Tomb: The Forgotten
NW-DNRBBXZK3

For generations, the people of Neverwinter have passed down stories about the lost Tomb of Exarah and the sad tale of a long ago Princess. Dismissed as a mere legend, the story of Exarah is one that should have never been forgotten as the events surrounding her life, while tragic, hold historical significance. You have decided to embark on a journey to finally answer the questions surrounding the myth of Exarah's Tomb.

==========

Will review these and any new requests in the morning.

In Progress:

mllebean - NW-DUTKDLBYI

Next in Line:

shadowbox - NW-DTGRXKAJI

Completed Past Reviews:

crowthorn - NW-DDUTQLHPG
doubleglen - NW-DMKAP73FK
gorgothus - NW-DQ3S67EKX
veratio - NW-DQUECIOMN
maerwin - NW-DMFGWPBN3
scoobyflippindo - (Temple of Chaos)
eskarine - (NW-DIIXJX4ES)
dagrin7 - (NW-DOPFEI3YP)
myrmecoleon - (NW-DGZ9J6Y2M)
meysa - (NW-DEH6FU5KB)
belberk - (NW-DO335J3SZ)
silithas97 - (NW-DD9NYO9ZP)
hflord1 - (NW-DONEPB9CK)
xhrit - (NW-DADOERMFX)
voivodak - (NW-DNUZSYEEY)
mrthebozer - (NW-DBFUDMT8L)
lostcharta - (NW-DIRYOWUKY)
ravenspire1 - (NWS-DHFZYUPJS)
zuviele - (NWS-DG3ALMAAC)
mosby1 - (NW-DEZAK4QPA)
rdxcyclo - (NW-DEZSTNUT7)
anrix2 - Mage Masher
Post edited by katah1969 on

Comments

• maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I will run and review your quest in the morning. The link for mine is in my sig - thanks in advance for a review
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • oortexploreroortexplorer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Did you ever get around to playing my quest? I don't recall seeing your review, although I may have missed it.

I enjoyed your quest and will play it again to check out the changes, but it will probably be a few days as I've got a rather lengthy list to get through first.
    All's Fair in Love and War - Explore the lighter side of Neverwinter!
    Code: NW-DJ5BFT52F
    Author: @oortexplorer
    Now eligible for Daily Foundry!
  • katah1969katah1969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    Did you ever get around to playing my quest? I don't recall seeing your review, although I may have missed it.

I enjoyed your quest and will play it again to check out the changes, but it will probably be a few days as I've got a rather lengthy list to get through first.

I could have swore I did! Let me run it now and see if I get the "again" when I select it. If not I'll do it right then. Hoping I did't miss yours...

Appears I did though... sorry about that. Just finished it and I really liked it. Commented on all the different names of the people in your town and they were quite funny. Good idea for a story and it was was executed really well. Let me know when you do more.
  • veratioveratio Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please review my quest!:
    Zanaver's Rod (NW-DQUECIOMN)
  • gorgothusgorgothus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Will check out yours, mines in my sig. Cant wait till they fix the music bug, I feel it's really missing the scary music ..well that and the other bugs, Thanks in advance
    ~FOUNDRY MISSION~ The Village on Ebon Lake ~Check it out!~
    Search Code NW-DQ3S67EKX
    H.P Lovecraft style Horror
    edited June 2013
    Some thoughts as I'm running through it:

* The spiderweb in the first area you get to after clearing the kobolds isn't attached to the ground - is that intentional?
    * In the next room, the barrels have some phantom daylight source or something. It looks a bit out of place to me.
    * When Pain, Death, and Eternal come out, the quest has "madness" typoed as "maddness"
    * "New Born Spider" was at least as difficult at "Ate Legs" This was really strange.

Just finished. 5 stars. Really great experience overall, and while I wouldn't do it myself, I found the way you handles the quest objectives to tell the story to be really unique and effective.
    Please review my quest!:
  • katah1969katah1969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    veratio wrote: »
    Some thoughts as I'm running through it:

* The spiderweb in the first area you get to after clearing the kobolds isn't attached to the ground - is that intentional?
    * In the next room, the barrels have some phantom daylight source or something. It looks a bit out of place to me.
    * When Pain, Death, and Eternal come out, the quest has "madness" typoed as "maddness"
    * "New Born Spider" was at least as difficult at "Ate Legs" This was really strange.

Just finished. 5 stars. Really great experience overall, and while I wouldn't do it myself, I found the way you handles the quest objectives to tell the story to be really unique and effective.

Thanks for the run, veratio! Just got back home from the store so will be running your in a few.

I'm trying to think about the spiderweb in question... I only have one "area" where spiderwebs are used and there are quite a bit of them. Which one are you talking about (maybe describe the area if you remember)

In my first pass I had everything pretty much dark, but it was not a very popular idea. I think I know exactly where you are talking about.

Blasted typos!!! Thanks!

Ate Legs is actually a "boss" encounter, but to get the special looking health bar for it I would have to sub the appearance, which I did at first, but it was reported that the animations did not work and therefore no defense for it's special moves so I changed it to a spider encounter.

The quest objectives idea was just me wanting to set the stage a bit more. I think I'll continue it for the Exarah Series I have planned, but will retire it for my use at that point.

Thanks again for the review! Gonna go have a quick look at your points and then run yours.
    edited June 2013
    Queue up everyone! Trading reviews is a great way to get some good feedback and stars!
    edited June 2013
    katah1969 wrote: »
    Which one are you talking about (maybe describe the area if you remember)
    [...]
    In my first pass I had everything pretty much dark, but it was not a very popular idea. I think I know exactly where you are talking about.

The room RIGHT before the phantom light barrels has the spiderweb I was talking about.
    Please review my quest!:
    edited June 2013
    The room RIGHT before the phantom light barrels has the spiderweb I was talking about.

Well if it is the spider web I think you are talking about then... yes it is supposed to be there. If you ever run the quest again take a closer look =)

As for the phantom light I moved the barrels around a bit lol hope it helps.
    edited June 2013
    Just re-accepted. Gonna go screenshot the offending web. :)

Also just noticed: there's a typo when you first accept the quest. "Once you have gather up enough provisions, head to the sewer entrance." (should be gathered).
    Please review my quest!:
  • anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I just ran it, and it was pretty entertaining. The objectives leading me through felt like I was playing with an old school dungeon master. My one issue is that you detailed the one room, and probably the most important room, Exarah's Tomb but left the rest of the dungeon pretty empty. I would dress it up as much as possible. Your environment can amplify your story if you own the decor.

If you want to trade, I offer Mage Masher as an example of what I am talking about. It is a dungeon crawl with no NPC interaction, there are non-objective items to read for context if the player chooses, but I really want to tell the story with the environment. I use 1500 details, create several custom pieces that are unique to my quest, and really make an effort to own my environment, because it is my story.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
    edited June 2013
    Just re-accepted. Gonna go screenshot the offending web. :)

Also just noticed: there's a typo when you first accept the quest. "Once you have gather up enough provisions, head to the sewer entrance." (should be gathered).

I fixed that typo a while ago. Must of forgotten to save. So grateful for the point out. Yeah the screen will be most helpful.
    edited June 2013
    Spiderweb:
    It just bothers me that it's not anchored anywhere! I thought maybe you had meant to rotate it to connect to that pillar, but maybe this is how you intended it, in which case, who am I to ask questions. :P

6JUXMev.jpg
    pE47Wx7.jpg

In that picture the same phantom light source is there, sort of looks out of place IMO. I wonder how it would look with the orange light source they include that would match the torches?

These are the barrels I was talking about:
    WUbmfYP.jpg

Just wondering why the white source instead of torches like you use elsewhere?
    Please review my quest!:
    edited June 2013
    anrix2 wrote: »
    I just ran it, and it was pretty entertaining. The objectives leading me through felt like I was playing with an old school dungeon master. My one issue is that you detailed the one room, and probably the most important room, Exarah's Tomb but left the rest of the dungeon pretty empty. I would dress it up as much as possible. Your environment can amplify your story if you own the decor.

If you want to trade, I offer Mage Masher as an example of what I am talking about. It is a dungeon crawl with no NPC interaction, there are non-objective items to read for context if the player chooses, but I really want to tell the story with the environment. I use 1500 details, create several custom pieces that are unique to my quest, and really make an effort to own my environment, because it is my story.

Hi Anrix2... Thanks for the feedback! Doing detailed rooms is actually what I really like to do. I've been doing a little here and a little there because I was worried about having so many items loaded since it is all one map that it might lag out the quest in places. Figured I'd see if I got any bad comments about the my environments slowing things down. So far so good and I'm going to be updating more tomorrow.

Since it is all one map, I won't be able to be over the top creative as I'm already closing in on the 1500 items, but the next chapter will be a different story (no pun intended lol) and I'll break some areas into their own map so I can have all the resources just for that one room or set.

Would love to run your quest and see. When I run quests looking at the environments is what I like most. I'll add yours to the queue and run it asap! Can't wait!
    edited June 2013
    Wow how strange... I never noticed it! Must fix it right now! Great eye! As for the light... well it's supposed to be an ancient dungeon... so ancient that someone actually takes the time to light the torches? lol I can't seem to get past it and people want lit dungeons so I threw a few white light sources in to see two things a) would people like it or not and b) did add any ambiance to the dungeon. That area was dark and thought it would be a good testing spot.

Looking at the screens I can say I think I'll put torches back in there. Still have some decorating to do and the soft white lights in dark areas really does add some feel.

Thanks for the web point out. Strange how in all the 100s of times I've run this thing I've never noticed it.

**UPDATE**

It was actually a web from the spider area. I guess when positioning that web it went through the wall or something. Rather than trying to chase that one down I simply moved that pillar to make it look like the web was anchored to it. Would of driven me crazy too had I of seen it. Thanks for the sharp eye!
  • doubleglendoubleglen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would be happy to trade reviews! The lost expedition is my foundry, code is: NW-DMKAP73FK
    edited June 2013
    Glad you were able to fix that web! :P

Yeah, I hear you on the torches. I like the idea of light filtering through from the ceiling/cracks in the walls/something to help light it, but there doesn't seem to be very much in the way of "open" ceilings in that regard.
    Please review my quest!:
  • scoobyflippindoscoobyflippindo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Will be the first quest i do in the morning. Just took all the info down. Would love to do a review for review with ya. Dont have the info for mine off hand but it is searchable now. Temple of Chaos. Look forward to your quest!
  • gorgothusgorgothus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    I loved your quest, it did have a sense of being in a old dungeon my brother ran me through when I was 9years old...and that was hehe over 30 years ago, he's passed away now, and games like this I really wish he could of played.. so thanks again for bringing back some good ol memories.

I really wish they'd fix that bug, I played a few foundries today and noticed some had sound effects working more often then mine. When I use mine in the foundry tester it's 100% working..in actual play...all the time 0 music and some times the sound effects work and sometimes not....very annoying.
    Search Code NW-DQ3S67EKX
    edited June 2013
    gorgothus wrote: »
    I loved your quest, it did have a sense of being in a old dungeon my brother ran me through when I was 9years old...and that was hehe over 30 years ago, he's passed away now, and games like this I really wish he could of played.. so thanks again for bringing back some good ol memories.

I really wish they'd fix that bug, I played a few foundries today and noticed some had sound effects working more often then mine. When I use mine in the foundry tester it's 100% working..in actual play...all the time 0 music and some times the sound effects work and sometimes not....very annoying.

Hi gorgothus and thanks for the review! I really was trying for the old school look with a little story as I could get away with, but at the same time I wanted people to know why they were there. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Being close with someone who loved doing the same thing could be tough, but yeah if he was a DnD fan I'd bet Neverwinter would be right up his alley!

Ahh yes sound and music. Thankfully there is a patch for this I hear sometime this month. There are currently two ways to do sound and music 1) you can set them through the area or room. Some tiles have the option for adding ambient sounds or music. I hear this method works, but what little control there is over sound and music go out the door. I actually add the sound individually so I can have mood music when you enter an area sudden;y change to boss music suddenly to boss complete music. It does add to the quest for sure.

Going to be running your quest today. I'll search the name and if I have any troubles will post back here for the short code.
  • mllebeanmllebean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited June 2013
    Happy to trade reviews if you're interested in mine. It's very tongue-in-cheek and takes about 45 minutes.

NW-DUTKDLBYI
    details and comments at:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...iewers-wanted-)
    edited June 2013
    Hi gorgothus and thanks for the review! I really was trying for the old school look with a little story as I could get away with, but at the same time I wanted people to know why they were there. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Being close with someone who loved doing the same thing could be tough, but yeah if he was a DnD fan I'd bet Neverwinter would be right up his alley!

Ahh yes sound and music. Thankfully there is a patch for this I hear sometime this month. There are currently two ways to do sound and music 1) you can set them through the area or room. Some tiles have the option for adding ambient sounds or music. I hear this method works, but what little control there is over sound and music go out the door. I actually add the sound individually so I can have mood music when you enter an area sudden;y change to boss music suddenly to boss complete music. It does add to the quest for sure.

Going to be running your quest today. I'll search the name and if I have any troubles will post back here for the short code.

If I wasn't hoping on the highway to Tahoe directly after work, I'd give that a try, I was editing a few bits last night and man if IMO the music dosen't makes 20x difference, well if you play it today , play your favorite scary music in the background lol.

If I could stop tweaking this one, I might actually start another. Yet everyday at work a lightbulb goes off, I come home and tweak it a bit more. Lol
    Search Code NW-DQ3S67EKX
    edited June 2013
    Got everyone queued up and will be running your quests. Bit of a family crisis, but things are getting back to normal so my time is freeing up again. Sincere apologies for the delay as many of you on my list have already run mine... I'll make up for the delay and I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone has done!

Don't want to post this as 100% but got the kid and ma Pa aching to run some quests so I'm hoping I can turn everyone's run into a 3 reviews for 1... now that would be sweet!

Anyway, if anyone else is looking to trade reviews please feel free to sign up!
    edited June 2013
    gorgothus wrote: »
    If I wasn't hoping on the highway to Tahoe directly after work, I'd give that a try, I was editing a few bits last night and man if IMO the music dosen't makes 20x difference, well if you play it today , play your favorite scary music in the background lol.

If I could stop tweaking this one, I might actually start another. Yet everyday at work a lightbulb goes off, I come home and tweak it a bit more. Lol

The music really does set a mood! Will be running your quest shortly... had a delay and unplanned incident so been dealing with that. Should get some questing in tonight for sure.
    edited June 2013
    Will be the first quest i do in the morning. Just took all the info down. Would love to do a review for review with ya. Dont have the info for mine off hand but it is searchable now. Temple of Chaos. Look forward to your quest!

Just ran your quest and I must say I really liked the less is more when it comes to quest dialogue. Good balance of getting your story across without a lot of extras to get in the way.

I'm pretty detail oriented so the small things I tend to notice. A few exits and portals had the default text "click for next map" and a few items in some areas were hanging in the air. Most noticeable were some chains that I think are supposed to be hanging from the ceiling, but were in the open. Small stuff. Fund quest. Good luck getting to the dailies! Will be a good one to run.
    edited June 2013

Sorry for the delay in running your quest. Been a busy last couple of days.

Just ran it and I can see why you use up all your 1500 objects. Very detailed. Some of your rooms I felt were over complicated while others I truly was able to get into. Especially liked the river room. Was not expecting that and I think if one thing had been out of place it might have come off as being out of place, but you skillfully made what felt was an Alice in Wonderland type of room. We may have a difference in room item tastes, but we certainly do agree that bland is boring!

Couple of things I wanted to point out. Not sure if they were just game glitches, but worth mentioning. Having the pixie trails I know removes the "puzzle" aspect of what you created, but I surprisingly got turned around and lost for a while.

In the room with he mage door, somehow the creatures behind the door had me in aggro and I was unable to open it. I had to zone out and back in to get it to work. I wonder if the encounter for each room was the same? some mobs in this room some in that?

I did not get killed to test this out, but your re-spawn point was pretty far in. Wonder what would happen if somehow I got killed the very first fight? Would I be able to get out and back on track or would I be stuck?
  • anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Sorry for the delay in running your quest. Been a busy last couple of days.

Just ran it and I can see why you use up all your 1500 objects. Very detailed. Some of your rooms I felt were over complicated while others I truly was able to get into. Especially liked the river room. Was not expecting that and I think if one thing had been out of place it might have come off as being out of place, but you skillfully made what felt was an Alice in Wonderland type of room. We may have a difference in room item tastes, but we certainly do agree that bland is boring!

Couple of things I wanted to point out. Not sure if they were just game glitches, but worth mentioning. Having the pixie trails I know removes the "puzzle" aspect of what you created, but I surprisingly got turned around and lost for a while.

In the room with he mage door, somehow the creatures behind the door had me in aggro and I was unable to open it. I had to zone out and back in to get it to work. I wonder if the encounter for each room was the same? some mobs in this room some in that?

I did not get killed to test this out, but your re-spawn point was pretty far in. Wonder what would happen if somehow I got killed the very first fight? Would I be able to get out and back on track or would I be stuck?

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry about the companion aggroing through the wall. It seems to be a glitch I thought I fixed by placing invisible walls on the other sides of the doors and setting them to disappear when the door is opened. I guess that doesn't work 100% of the time.

I turned the pixel trails off, and I know there is a little back and forth, and the house can get confusing especially with a hallway that looks like a river, and then looks like a hallway when you re-visit it. But I purposefully left the trails off, because I wanted this to play like a dungeon crawl. The back and forth for the most part is linear because there are no options other than getting the keys first, and the house is somewhat small, and isn't laid out in a line, so the locked doors kind of guide the player.

The only way to switch out the encounters for different ones is to chose the multiplayer setting.

Also if you get killed before making it to the fire, you start out at the front door(which is why the fire is about midway into the house, it essentially acts as a checkpoint, putting it at the start of the dungeon would be wasting a spawn point, plus later on I have portals unlock giving the option to go back to the fire as soft checkpoints, because we are only allowed 1 per map), if you discover the fire and get killed in the room before you open the door, you can kill the Evocator and the Shapeshifter. When the Shapeshifter is dead, you don't have the option to shortcut in the beer room, you would have to Grab the Eye of the Storm and take the long way back, but killing the Shapeshifter triggers a different set of mobs to patrol the house, so it wouldn't be a free run back, additionally when you hit the Foyer, you would run into the Blind Steward, and this time around he wouldn't be interested in talking.

If the Diviner's originally killed you, you would have to fight them again to get out of combat to unlock their door, but now they will have an additionally two adds, invisible Gloomblades, called Divine Whispers.

So I made sure the player is able to complete it even if they get killed by the Diviners, which is the only way to throw the objective off course.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry about the companion aggroing through the wall. It seems to be a glitch I thought I fixed by placing invisible walls on the other sides of the doors and setting them to disappear when the door is opened. I guess that doesn't work 100% of the time.

I turned the pixel trails off, and I know there is a little back and forth, and the house can get confusing especially with a hallway that looks like a river, and then looks like a hallway when you re-visit it. But I purposefully left the trails off, because I wanted this to play like a dungeon crawl. The back and forth for the most part is linear because there are no options other than getting the keys first, and the house is somewhat small, and isn't laid out in a line, so the locked doors kind of guide the player.

The only way to switch out the encounters for different ones is to chose the multiplayer setting.

Also if you get killed before making it to the fire, you start out at the front door(which is why the fire is about midway into the house, it essentially acts as a checkpoint, putting it at the start of the dungeon would be wasting a spawn point, plus later on I have portals unlock giving the option to go back to the fire as soft checkpoints, because we are only allowed 1 per map), if you discover the fire and get killed in the room before you open the door, you can kill the Evocator and the Shapeshifter. When the Shapeshifter is dead, you don't have the option to shortcut in the beer room, you would have to Grab the Eye of the Storm and take the long way back, but killing the Shapeshifter triggers a different set of mobs to patrol the house, so it wouldn't be a free run back, additionally when you hit the Foyer, you would run into the Blind Steward, and this time around he wouldn't be interested in talking.

If the Diviner's originally killed you, you would have to fight them again to get out of combat to unlock their door, but now they will have an additionally two adds, invisible Gloomblades, called Divine Whispers.

So I made sure the player is able to complete it even if they get killed by the Diviners, which is the only way to throw the objective off course.

It all makes perfect sense... didn't remove any stars, it was too good to nit pick my personal preferences. =)
    edited June 2013
    maerwin wrote: »
    I will run and review your quest in the morning. The link for mine is in my sig - thanks in advance for a review

Hi maerwin... sorry for the delay, but my son and I just ran your quest. We both really liked it. Story was great! I missed the green lighting at the end as we progressed, but my son got it a few in. Nice touch. Check your placed objects as some were not on the ground. Minor, but just in case you missed it.