test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What nonexistent Foundry options would YOU pay for?

lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Personally, I'd pay for the ability to upload custom music/voice files for my quest. How about the rest of you? :)
*sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
Post edited by lonnehart on

Comments

• labmouse42labmouse42 Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2013
    Share maps with friends. If someone spent hours building an awesome village, why can't I use it, and add onto it?
    Foundry Quests
    Author : @labmouse43
    Short Code : NW-DJHHV5CGY
    Name : The Frosty Protologist
    Duration : 15 minutes
  • rdxcyclordxcyclo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    Personally, I'd pay for the ability to upload custom music/voice files for my quest. How about the rest of you? :)

None. Why the hell would I pay to create quests that Cryptic will benefit from?

But what Foundry is desperately lacking so that Cryptic don't have to do their work even further would be for me; music and voice. I'd also be so happy if I could add and customize single mobs of any type as well instead of whole encounters.
    Making my name with Foundry - @rdxcyclo

First installment of Gavin the "Lucky" series is live

Episodes:
    Gavin the "Lucky": Prologue - NW-DEZSTNUT7
  • krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agreed with adding custom voice/music (assuming the Special/Sounds issue in live server is fixed).

Adding own decals should be easy to do (with transparency please). So that one can come up with interesting objects (like panels... etc... which are HIGHLY missed)

But I'd say before I pay for things, please have at least a couple of devs work ON THE FOUNDRY!

Thank you
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    labmouse42 wrote: »
    Share maps with friends. If someone spent hours building an awesome village, why can't I use it, and add onto it?

This! I would LOVE that ability. Would I actually pay for it though? Hrm... not sure.
  • boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    crok2 wrote: »
    This! I would LOVE that ability. Would I actually pay for it though? Hrm... not sure.

Boss fights. Especially with Staging.
    Play-Tested by the nw team to approve better loot for the modules that deserve it.
    Dragons!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing.

I would pay nothing to add content to a free game.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Nothing.

Agreed. We, as authors, are already making content for free which Cryptic is profiting from. The second Cryptic starts charging for anything having to do with the foundry is the second I quit playing this game or any game that Cryptic is involved with.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • floordanfloordan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pay? hhahahah

There are a lot of things the foundry would benefit from, but I wouldn't give cryptic or pwe my money so that I can create free content for them more efficiently. If anything, they should be paying some of the foundry authors. Some of the content I've seen created through the foundry outshines the actual in-game content in quality AND interest.
  • ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zogvarnoka wrote: »
    Agreed. We, as authors, are already making content for free which Cryptic is profiting from. The second Cryptic starts charging for anything having to do with the foundry is the second I quit playing this game or any game that Cryptic is involved with.

You are not making content. You are assembling assets that were created by someone else. Essentially you are just playing a game. You can argue with that if you want, but you'd be wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Nothing.

^This.
    It may not be a "real" content production, but Foundry users are adding at least daily quests to this game.
    I might, (or not, farm astral diamonds) for more slots if Foundry was handled as it is in STO. But probably I'll be fine having only 10 slots. Given how limited Foundry is, it's hard to have more ideas for quests (others than disguised dungeon crawls).
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd pay real money to be able to ban specific users from playing my quests.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd pay for some better advertising. Advertising only to other Foundry authors is the worst idea I've ever heard. And I've heard some pretty dumb ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silithas97silithas97 Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Shhh, don't give cryptic any ideas!
  • firebrand6firebrand6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    You are not making content. You are assembling assets that were created by someone else. Essentially you are just playing a game. You can argue with that if you want, but you'd be wrong.

Anyone working in software is assembling assets created by someone else, unless they write their own OS, then write their own compiler. Crayola may make the crayons, but the artist makes the art.

People working with the Foundry are creating content, no doubt about it. Especially the ones with original plots.

I think the Cryptic folks are brilliant for including the Foundry with their game. So many games stagnate from a lack of new content- with the Foundry, the content is unlimited, if what you want isn't there you can create it.

Back on topic though, there are hundreds of things I'd love to see in the Foundry, but I'd be upset to see pay-to-use Foundry options. I think that would lead to an unhealthy competition, when the Foundry system already has enough unsavory things going on, as evidenced by the people who create alts just to one-star things- alts with names making it obvious that that is the sole reason they were created.

Things I'd really like to see though:
    - More river options.
    - Greater variety of monster types. More wild animals. Carrion crawlers. Giant centipedes.
    - Actual bosses, maybe with generic movies. Drake/small dragon boss.
    - Ability to put resource nodes in dungeons. I know why this isn't allowed currently, but surely there is some system- maybe have them spawn only after a certain number of mobs are killed. Or just boost resource drops from mobs in Foundry.
    - SOME ability to control rewards. I hate making a super hard quest just to have a generic reward.
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bosses (At least enemies of the same difficulty as bosses such as Shocktroop Warlords (Different from Shocktroop Devils though both are in Helm's Hold) though it would be better if the players could customize them)
    If they can't add bosses at all, then at least some more solo enemies. Lesser Bone Golems, Doomsepts, and Wyrmlings are a few I know of that are not in the foundry yet.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've said before, but I'd consider pay-to-use foundry content as an insult and cease bothering with it.
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would pay nothing to add free content to a game where thier player base can play.

However I would greatly enjoy the ability to bring more than 5 people into certain foundary maps.
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Foundry authors are createing content. the story in mine is my own creation I wrote it i edited it and i produced it I simple used there editor to put it in game. but its my content. hence why I am labled as the author of said content.

As for paying the only thing I would even dream of paying for would be better advertiseing for my creations the rest they should provide for free because what i create is for the masses to give them something to do and keep playing and paying the game money.
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The ability to make place markers trigger-able (appear/disappear) like everything else.

Fullstop.
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

What is content if it isn't something the player partakes in....No one is going to argue we didn't make the script/art in the game, however, lvl designers(not lvl artists) don't actually do any graphical art at all often times, but guess what, they made the content for the game. By your own comment you are implying those that create the tools are the content creators not those that use the tools, which is inanely backwards.
  • pennpopperpennpopper Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    + quest items that persist beyond the quest (non-sellable is fine)
    + GM tools (like Neverwinter Nights had)
    + dialog tied to objects (maybe this is possible now and I haven't figured it out yet)
    edited June 2013
    On Topic..

1. The ability to switch between quests without logging out/exiting.
    2. The ability to use my actual character in foundry testing.
    3. More odds and ends details(Farming/mining equipment
    4. More Monster Assests(Dragons, ettins, cyclops, gnolls, cloakers, etc)
    5. Individual Monster Placement.
    6. Ability to designate any monster we want as a mini boss/end boss in our quests.

I wouldn't pay for any of this, since i shouldn't have too.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pennpopper wrote: »
    + dialog tied to objects (maybe this is possible now and I haven't figured it out yet)

Select the object and scroll down in the object information window, put a checkmark in contact and then the object will act like a contact and you can add dialogue to it.

If you want to use it in your storyboard, select the objective inspect object rather than interact with object.

On topic I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd like to see actual OR objectives without resorting to trigger tricks.
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    We do make content for Cryptic, of course we do.

However, I won't pretend that I don't get anything out of it. I love making stuff in the Foundry, so I wont jump on the "but we make your content" bandwagon like I'm suddenly entitled to having the Devs sole attention. I'm not that kind of guy, I make stuff for myself as much as I do other players, and I get to do it all for free.

When I start paying for the game maybe then I'll feel more entitled.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More slots.

Slots cost dilithium on STO Foundry, and that seems fair -- 10,000 astral diamonds for 4 slots would be reasonable.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    What is content if it isn't something the player partakes in....No one is going to argue we didn't make the script/art in the game, however, lvl designers(not lvl artists) don't actually do any graphical art at all often times, but guess what, they made the content for the game. By your own comment you are implying those that create the tools are the content creators not those that use the tools, which is inanely backwards.

What do you think a tool is? Do you think because you can manipulate an object through translation and rotation, make it appear and disappear that you are using a tool? There are no tools in the foundry. You can't change the object's data properties, its size, color, how much it absorbs and reflects light. You can't alter the materials the object has. Make it shiny or dull, bumpy or smooth. Can you scan in a texture into your computer, map it to the surface of an object, and bake it on? No. What tools are you talking about?

I am not implying anything. Criptic created the tools and the content. Art assets are content. A user interface for manipulating designed art assets is not a tool, it is simply hiding the tools so you can't break stuff. I was simply reacting to those who posted before me that had the nerve to say things like they are doing cryptic a huge favor and should even be paid for the foundry work they are doing. That is a ridiculous notion. Let's be honest. 99% of the work is done before you even open the foundry. What if you had to hand draw and sculpted, skin, create an armature. render animations. bake textures, create every building to scale. every bush, blade of grass, write all the music, record the sound effects, programing. In the grand scheme, foundry authors have done almost nothing. We are just doing the fun part. No way one should be paid for what we are doing. I hate it when people give themselves too much credit. Especially in the manner in which they were doing it. They literally have no clue how many hours worth of work went into creating the foundry.

It really irks me to hear them say that they would pay nothing because they are generating profits for cryptic for free. Look man, as an artist, a professional artist, I don't do free work. what I am doing here is not art. I am using someone else's creation for my own entertainment. I am fantasizing that I can create a piece of a video game that hundreds of people around the world can play, do it in hours, and be praised for it like I actually did something. It is a fantasy though. I have no delusions that I have actually done anything that is worth a paycheck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    On topic I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd like to see actual OR objectives without resorting to trigger tricks.

I'd love an or.
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
    edited June 2013
    What do you think a tool is? Do you think because you can manipulate an object through translation and rotation, make it appear and disappear that you are using a tool? There are no tools in the foundry. You can't change the object's data properties, its size, color, how much it absorbs and reflects light. You can't alter the materials the object has. Make it shiny or dull, bumpy or smooth. Can you scan in a texture into your computer, map it to the surface of an object, and bake it on? No. What tools are you talking about?

I am not implying anything. Criptic created the tools and the content. Art assets are content. A user interface for manipulating designed art assets is not a tool, it is simply hiding the tools so you can't break stuff. I was simply reacting to those who posted before me that had the nerve to say things like they are doing cryptic a huge favor and should even be paid for the foundry work they are doing. That is a ridiculous notion. Let's be honest. 99% of the work is done before you even open the foundry. What if you had to hand draw and sculpted, skin, create an armature. render animations. bake textures, create every building to scale. every bush, blade of grass, write all the music, record the sound effects, programing. In the grand scheme, foundry authors have done almost nothing. We are just doing the fun part. No way one should be paid for what we are doing. I hate it when people give themselves too much credit. Especially in the manner in which they were doing it. They literally have no clue how many hours worth of work went into creating the foundry.

It really irks me to hear them say that they would pay nothing because they are generating profits for cryptic for free. Look man, as an artist, a professional artist, I don't do free work. what I am doing here is not art. I am using someone else's creation for my own entertainment. I am fantasizing that I can create a piece of a video game that hundreds of people around the world can play, do it in hours, and be praised for it like I actually did something. It is a fantasy though. I have no delusions that I have actually done anything that is worth a paycheck.

as i thought. You're simply an elitist art ***. Cry more or something. I however, will not buy in to your faulty, self centered logic. If you want to make a game from scratch all by yourself go ahead, but more then just the artists build a game. Enjoy your aloof loneliness, i'm sure it makes for great art.

i don't believe we should be paid, but the system we use should recieve more attention then it does. simple as that.
  • rdxcyclordxcyclo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It's funny you should say all of that, because what seems to be frustrating people the most is a lack of real tools to create real content...

But to say that story writing and finding inventive ways to build environments and narrative with the limited tools available is not content creation in itself is incredibly self-centered and narcissistic. Just because I'm a programmer doesn't mean I run around town feeling all self-righteous and yelling at people like you for using image and 3D editing tools because they're built with a lot of code...
    Making my name with Foundry - @rdxcyclo

First installment of Gavin the "Lucky" series is live

Episodes:
    Gavin the "Lucky": Prologue - NW-DEZSTNUT7
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    as i thought. You're simply an elitist art ***. Cry more or something. I however, will not buy in to your faulty, self centered logic. If you want to make a game from scratch all by yourself go ahead, but more then just the artists build a game. Enjoy your aloof loneliness, i'm sure it makes for great art.

i don't believe we should be paid, but the system we use should receive more attention then it does. simple as that.

Yeah you are missing my point. I was pointing out those who commented that they feel they shouldn't have to pay for new features considering how much money they are making Cryptic with their creations in the foundry. They even went as far as to say that foundry authors should be paid. I was simply kicking them off the high horse by pointing out how much content they didn't have to create on there own, which is pretty much everything. In order to explain that I have to give examples, which you are construing as me being an art *** This is nothing more than interactive machinima.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5

Video Preview