Install Arc
Options

is this really a "MMORPG" ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't seem like it's going to be massively multiplayer.. it seems more like it's just smaller groups or parties going through premade DM scenarios or quests ?

A massive number of players can play it = MM
    It's Online = O
    It's a roleplaying game = RPG

So a roleplaying game which a massive number of players can play online = MMORPG

/thread
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    MMO means you are playing the game at the same time as a massive amount of players(thousands). You can chat with all of them and join their groups etc.

Does not mean you see 1000 players on the same map as you at once.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The defination of MMORPG can be twisted to be anything at all. Hence we cannot be very literal but we have to take the precedence of other games defined as MMORPG for it.

Infact, if you go literally, even major FPS games are RPG because you are basically playing a role. Hence it is more important to take MMORPG as an established word and accept the classification as it is accepted by consensus of majority.

You can argue all you want about what is MMORPG or not, but in the end it is just a classification shared by a certain category of games irrespective of whether they actually have elements which in your opinion make it MMORPG or not.
  • Options
    maskito89maskito89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aevic wrote: »
    But by far my most favorite EQ Raid memory of all time is when Cazic Thule got his initial huge boost in power and was vastly more difficult, with a new loot table and all sorts o' goodies. Our guild was clearing the Plane of Fear and racing two other guilds in the zone at the same time, Black Company (actually from server 103/109 of Meridian 59 which is cool, lead by Ixit at the time) and Enlightened Dark of later internet fame. We pulled CT first and wiped, Black Company moved in and also wiped. ED sat that round out and watched. Eventually CT was downed on a pull by ED that wiped with BC taking over and wiping then us third in line finishing him off. I still remember that I died 47 times in that fight, each time running naked from my bind spot on the mountainside to grab all of my gear spamming that I needed clarity. :-)

I'd like to correct a minor error in this: Ixit was actually the leader of Ravaging Knights on 103. He's the only one that I can recall that maxed out all 4 (before Riija got fleshed out) schools before 3do made that impossible to do.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That might of been interesting info 3 months ago. But im fairly sure the person you are responding to no longer cares.
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    A massive number of players can play it = MM
    It's Online = O
    It's a roleplaying game = RPG

So a roleplaying game which a massive number of players can play online = MMORPG

/thread

One thing I would add is that for a game to be an MMORPG, the "massive" amount of players must be able to exist within the same space.

For example, millions of players play multiplayer games like Diablo and Torchlight, and can play online with each other; however, the fact that only a few players can occupy the same game world simultaneously means that Diablo and Torchlight do not qualify as MMOs.

I do agree with you that Neverwinter easily meets all of the criteria for an MMO. Whether or not it's a good MMO is debatable.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Should call it Massively Singleplayer Online, in my opinion.
  • Options
    ageoffan123ageoffan123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    Well for one they first need to merg the shards, which would make the worlds more populated, but overall not much can be done. WoW has just killed the whole concept of "Massive" in MMORPG. Now, people rarely talk, just like in wow.
  • Options
    s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter fits what an MMORPG is. It can hold thousands of players online simultaneously, it has a persistent world and is a role playing game.

So, yes it is an MMORPG.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lithomed wrote: »
    Indeed, this is a much more important problem. Roleplaying is dying to expedience and lack of attention span.

Roleplaying died due to trolls or griefers and their ability to skirt around the rules to not be kicked by the GMs but annoy the **** out of Roleplayers. So in todays games Roleplayers RP in private. Usually all it takes to get RP community happy is some RP props, a building to meet in, chairs to sit in, emotes to do weird emoting stuffs. Very basic stuff, and outfits :D

I've seen Rpers RP without most of these in games you wouldn't expect as well.
  • Options
    ariakan1976ariakan1976 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    MMORPG means Massive Multiplayer Online Rolle Playing Game.Has nothing to do with how many people need to participate in the games content,but with how many people can play at the same time in the same server.

Depending the company,the game has differend content(Small Scale PvE-PvP,Large Scale PvE-PvP,Only PvE,Only PvP etc etc).

There is no rule about how an MMORPG
  • Options
    koudelkamorgankoudelkamorgan Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't really consider it an mmo either. Its more like I'm playing Champions of Norrath or Sacred 2 solo, but being required to play some of the dungeons co-op.

I am enjoying the world, but its tiny. Generally completely linear, and no more than 20 to 40 other people are in the same instance as you, which is fine for how small the world is. When you add to that the fact that you have such a tiny skill/item bar, small amount of skills, and that you can reach cap in a few days of casual play its very UN-mmo from my experience with *many* of them.

Hell even Sacred 2 gives you more skill slots, and has a waaaaaaay larger world, plus mounted combat, more interesting classes and more or less the same plot depth. And that game was an mmo, technically, and it was terrible. And I played in on PS3, with a controller.

But, given the game is barely finished if that, it really has no where to go but up from here. One hopes anyways.
    samus_forum_tag_by_artbyanarchy-d5nz2ih.png
    I Aim To Misbehave
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't know what the technical definition of MMORPG is, nor do I care. But I do know that there are a number of things that Neverwinter lacks that keep it from feeling or playing like the MMOs I have always played. For example:

- No continuous world. Every MMO I have played has had this, from EQ to WoW to Tera.
    - No common areas where communities form. The only common area is Protectors Enclave, and it is instanced off. Unlike so many other MMOs, where you would start to run into the same people in certain places and groups would start to form (for example, the Trade Tunnel in EQ or the Ironforge bridge)
    - No zone in or zone out areas. No farming areas. No zones or areas of any kind that would prompt interaction with other people for any reason whatsoever.
    - No meaningful world objects, bosses, objectives, or events.

All of these are basic things that MMOs have, and the utter lack of these things in Neverwinter make it feel more like a solo/team online game with an interactive 3D lobby (Protectors Enclave).
  • Options
    beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    "MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are fully developed multiplayer universes with an advanced and detailed visual and auditory world in which players create an individualistic character. MMORPGs provide the only setting in which millions of users voluntarily immerse themselves in a graphical virtual environment and interact with each other through avatars on a daily basis. Research suggests that the game-play within these virtual worlds is enhanced because players use them as traditional games as well as arenas in which to explore new relationships, new places, and themselves". Extract from Cole, H. [B.Sc.], Griffiths, M. [PhD]. Social Interactions in Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Gamers in CYBERPSYCHOLOGY & BEHAVIOR. (Mary Ann Liebert, Inc, 2007)P575

According to this, massive implicitly means 'millions of potential players'. Raids 'can' be part of MMO's but are not a defining characteristic.
  • Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited June 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Once upon a time, "Massive" was related to the number of players playing the game at the same time, not the presence of raids.
    When was this time? Oh, and dont refer to Everquest, DaoC or Ultima Online, because I raided in this games ;-)
  • Options
    thecrimsonrozethecrimsonroze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Still is, people just like to make up new definitions on the fly for things like MMORPG, Pay to Win, Irony, Rich, and Sane. It happens all the time. :)

And yes Neverwinter is a MMORPG.

No. Neverwinter is an Action MMO with RPG elements. It's focus is far from RPG and much more aimed on action.
    This is made very clear with the many guides and dialogs designed to be closed quickly by buttonmashing '1'.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this argument really happening? The things you find on the internet....
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I don't believe Necromancers have been added to the game yet?

This must be a fluke. *kills the zombie*

If a thread hasn't been posted on in over 30 days let's let it sleep. ;)
This discussion has been closed.