test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Game but Could I Please Have My Cursor Back?

pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
So, just tried the game and already enjoying it. The vids are great and am enjoying the missions. Good stuff.

My biggest problem is the lack of cursor. Having it always on camera control is a massive pain in the tuchis. Bumped your mouse? Oops, now you're looking at the sky, or ground, or whatever, or you just ran off a cliff if you happen to be in R mode. It's just so horribly inconvenient to be stuck in camera mode. All we really need would be an option to turn it off.

Related to that is the inability to turn a corner. I have yet to figure out why game creators are so enamored of the strafe movement style, but I can tell you that many PC gamers are not fans. Just let us remap the keys to turn-left and turn-right, rather than strafe.

The first thing I did was to remap the attack powers to the number keys where they belong, rather than the mouse-click buttons. It got terribly annoying to go into attack mode every time I tried to mistakenly click on something.

So, that's it, my two requests. Just give me the ability to turn off mouse-view or whatever it is called and give me control of my cursor back. And give me the ability to map my keys to turn-left/right, instead of strafe.
- - - - -
SIGNATURE:
Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
Post edited by pwestolemyname on

Comments

• Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My biggest problem is the lack of cursor. Having it always on camera control is a massive pain in the tuchis. Bumped your mouse? Oops, now you're looking at the sky, or ground, or whatever, or you just ran off a cliff if you happen to be in R mode. It's just so horribly inconvenient to be stuck in camera mode. All we really need would be an option to turn it off.

It's FPS-style targeting. It's a core feature of the game design.

It's an action game; you're supposed to pay attention to what you're doing, and if you make mistakes like bump your mouse, well, you've made a mistake.

Also, don't use auto-run outside of town.
    Related to that is the inability to turn a corner. I have yet to figure out why game creators are so enamored of the strafe movement style, but I can tell you that many PC gamers are not fans. Just let us remap the keys to turn-left and turn-right, rather than strafe.

It's FPS-style controls. Why shouldn't PC gamers be a fan of that?

And what action games since 2000 use A/D for turn left/right?
    The first thing I did was to remap the attack powers to the number keys where they belong, rather than the mouse-click buttons. It got terribly annoying to go into attack mode every time I tried to mistakenly click on something.

Why do they belong there? I've never understood why anyone thought abilities on the number keys made sense. They're totally inconvenient, especially past 5.

What are you trying to click on that "mistakenly" causes you to attack?

Overall, it just seems like you haven't given this games design a real shot, and instead want it to play like WoW and other traditional MMOs. It's a different game, and the controls are ideally suited for the game that it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm not trolling. I just don't see why they can't give us the options. Why does this upset you so much?

Regarding the FPS comment, that means First Person Shooter. Well, first of all, this game isn't that at all. Certainly you can look through the character's eyes, but I doubt if that is the way most people play the game. Second of all, many of the classes do not shoot at all. Sure, strafing is useful when you are actually shooting first person, but when you are a sword swinger, being able to turn is nice.

I'm not saying they should take away the control-style you like, but why not give options for other control-styles? Many games do. Would there be some sort of imbalance created if I were able to turn using my keyboard, while you maintained the ability to strafe using keyboard?

Interestingly, Champions Online, also owned by this company, had the same issue in Beta. The players pointed out the problem, and by launch it was fixed. Hoping we can have the same here.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options
    perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The lack of cursor is annoying. I got used to it (and I'm used to it in other action games), but I still don't like it.

With a controller I'm used to having a lot of the UI be informative rather than interactive.

With a keyboard and mouse, I'm used to pointing at things with the cursor and clicking on what I want. Having to press alt first makes me feel like I'm not in control of the UI.

Neverwinter is somewhere in the middle. It has few enough active skills that it would work great for a controller setup. However, it also has a lot of pieces of UI that are good for mouse and keyboard. If I had the choice, the control scheme would be more like a traditional MMO instead of having to press alt. Or maybe I would use both a controller and keyboard/mouse. If I put down the controller, I could use the keyboard/mouse without having to press alt.
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm a fan of the action controls, but I would like to see one change; and additional option.

Currently, if you bring up a menu in Neverwinter, that menu disappears as soon as you hit a movement key, and snaps you back into action control mode. In TERA, you could check a box in the settings that disabled the auto-exit from menus. This means that your menu would stay open, and your cursor would remain available to you, even if you hit your movement keys. I really want this option in Neverwinter, since I like to bring up the full-size map, as well as look through my bags and switch up my powers, while on the run.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the action controls, but I would like to see one change; and additional option.

Currently, if you bring up a menu in Neverwinter, that menu disappears as soon as you hit a movement key, and snaps you back into action control mode. In TERA, you could check a box in the settings that disabled the auto-exit from menus. This means that your menu would stay open, and your cursor would remain available to you, even if you hit your movement keys. I really want this option in Neverwinter, since I like to bring up the full-size map, as well as look through my bags and switch up my powers, while on the run.

-Travail.
    That is a great idea, as well! I do that all the time in Champions Online, bring up the big map while on the run. Lots of people do it.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options
    uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is by far the biggest drawback to this game. If you want to play in mouse-look mode, great, do so. But for those of use that prefer to play 3rd person games using a mouse to select abilities, objects, etc.... give us our mouse back.

This isn't a first person shooter, so why map the keyboard as if it were? Also, wrist problems run in my family. I'm the only one in the family to avoid multiple wrist surgeries. 20 years of video game playing as an adult hasn't bothered me because I'm careful in how I do it, but this game does bother me. I've figured out it is because of having to use the left hand to do so much. That's another reason I prefer to have a mouse and cursor... It is far less stressing on the wrists to move a mouse and click with stationary fingers than to be constantly button-mashing with one hand on a keyboard while the other hand on the mouse does almost nothing.

I play a lot of first person shooters, and they don't even require as much button-mashing as this game does.

Give me my mouse / cursor combo back.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • Options
    gosugoosegosugoose Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Haha look at all you old people that can't adjust to changes. Please die off.
  • Options
    forgotten5ixforgotten5ix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You guys are the small minority of the players who don't like the control scheme. All the power to you if you got an option to change from the "always on" kind of gameplay, but I don't see it happening. It's a core game feature, that I, and many other grizzled MMO players love. It's refreshing from the beaten dead horse of targeting systems. Do switch around some hotkeys I understand, but why do you hate your mouse so much? Two free attack buttons at the tip of your look movement, and now they're useless. This post seems like it was made by an old man who cannot adapt to the twitch skill based combat. The movement/combat controls are by far the biggest BOON to this game, not drawback.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gosugoose wrote: »

Hey, that's what I said, just a lot meaner xD
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's this? I don't even...

Those controls have been part of MMORPGs for like... a decade or so.
    What happened to you guys? were you locked in a cabin on the most isolated forest in the world? I don't get it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    ali495ali495 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    gosugoose wrote: »

It is like this, just maybe not as rude. It's a matter of adjustment. It's different.
    When the cold of winter comes starless night will cover day,
    In the veiling of the sun we will walk in bitter rain.
    But in dreams I can hear your name,
    And in dreams we will meet again.

<3
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hey, if you want your controls back, I found the perfect game for you. http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_2_complete

There ya go, now you can click target to your hearts content.
  • Options
    sanmercisanmerci Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's a curious thing... a few people are asking for the developers to implement greater accessibility for players who prefer different playstyles or controls. Those players are being berated and shouted down by other players. I posit one (maybe two) of three reasons:

1) The beraters are afraid that giving more options to those people making the request will, somehow, cause them to lose their competitive edge- and if that's the case, I have to wonder why they wouldn't be willing to make the switch.

2) The beraters are afraid that the devs will spend a long time on this relatively minor problem that they could be using to correct problem 'X' (whatever problem 'X' is in their mind- there are already so many problem-Xs that the chance of any one taking priority over any other is negligible).

3) The beraters are tuckus-roundlets (TRs) who are only capable of having fun if someone else is miserable. In that case, I will join that group exactly this far: I don't want THAT group to have fun, because they suck.

Note that a number of the responses thus far seem to belong distinctly to group 3...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm not trying to berate. I see it as a positive thing that the system has been switched up, rather than following the usual MMO mold that we've all come to expect. It just takes some adjustment. Change can be good, just give it a chance.

<3
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Bluntly, why should I? I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the game with its new format; I'm asking why *I* should be forced to conform to this new playstyle if I don't like it. Sorry, but 'give yourself some time to adapt' does not qualify as a reason; it qualifies as a dismissal.
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    sanmerci wrote: »
    Bluntly, why should I? I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the game with its new format; I'm asking why *I* should be forced to conform to this new playstyle if I don't like it. Sorry, but 'give yourself some time to adapt' does not qualify as a reason; it qualifies as a dismissal.
    It's simple.
    Because then "other" people would be happy. There's nothing more insulting to l33t hardcore gamerz than the idea of filthy casuals daring to taint games with their badwrong fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Why? Because it's part of the game, a core mechanic that is good enough to be called a feature. It's almost like asking them to revert the game to 3rd edition because you hate 4th.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Not to belabor the point, but why is it a feature? Was being able to use your mouse as a mouse a feature that broke the game? I don't see this as a feature, I see this as unnecessarily hobbling my skillset- it's like telling me that I can run a race, but I'm not allowed to bend my knees.
  • Options
    wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Yes please just turn it into a worse version of WoW.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

You don't like it, then you walk out. As simple as that.
    I used to be the lover of the point and click mmos. In fact i Played Rappelz A LOT (up to level 156 @_@) but then i found The Chronicles of Spellborn, the first action mmorpg in the market (as far as i can think) which is already shut down, and since them i've loved the "reticle" style on MMOs so i've played Vindictus, Raiderz, Tera, etc... and it is a so much more challenging system and a lot less boring.
    I liked Forsaken World a lot, the classes, the instances, etc... but it had this godforsaken targeting system every mmo had and after playing like that for 10 years i've grown sick of it so i walked out.

If i don't like something so vital from a game such as it's basic controls then I don't play it. The controls this game have are actually NEEDED to play it. I don't see how would you properly target stuff with your reticle if you don't use the mouse, you can't turn your back on any enemy because then it gains CA and it shreds you so straffing is VITAL too. To turn a corner? move your mose to the right, duh.
    It's even simpler than the point anc click and WASD controls... so having issues with it is like not being able to park a car with power steering, honestly, you gotta suck at it big time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And, yes, I could do that- but I enjoy the setting and I enjoy a lot of other things about the game. Why is this hard for you to understand? I'm not asking them to take away your fun- I'm asking them to give me the same level of enjoyment. We can both win, here, without either of us having to lose.

Also, while using the mouse to target is a fundamental part of the game, there's no reason why it couldn't be achieved by actively holding down a button and using keybinds to attack as opposed to passively twirling the mouse and using mouse buttons to attack. giving us control might also, for example, make the chat window less of a nightmare for people who like to both game and chat simultaneously...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Not to belabor the point, but why is it a feature? Was being able to use your mouse as a mouse a feature that broke the game?

It's a feature because the combat is meant to be action/strategy, not the tired old click targeting system that "traditional" MMOs use.

Last time I checked, I could still move my mouse to access everything I could need to click, while having a streamlined combat system that feels more intuitive than mashing 1-5 and tab targeting/clicking to look at someone.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I guess a person should simply have to adapt to a new game style simply because they want to play it. It seems like a weird question, like we're all entitled to game preferences we want. That's how this game works, that's all it is.

<3
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Placing value judgements on traditional formats does not make your argument better, it just makes it bigoted. The current system feels unintuitive to me and I prefer being able to simply move my mouse without having to press 'Alt' or some other menu key in order to access UI elements. You still have not explained to me why I should not have that *option.* All you have done is insult my point-of-view and dismiss me. I have not said that you should not have the system as it is currently implemented, but you have gotten awful defensive. What is it you are afraid of?
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    they could give you back that system i suppose, but how are you going to aim at your targets? there is no fixed target.

i personally hope they dont, i couldnt play MMOs longer than a week because of the system they used from wow.

When i played WoWi never clicked on my icons, everything was hotkeyed and there was far too many to remember, and ive had to do the same with every other mmo. Neverwinter got it right, and what decent mmo player keyboard-turns anyway? searching and clicking icons is not very compelling gameplay anyway.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why not allow me to, for example, deactivate my mouse by right-clicking and holding, and move the right-click at-will to a keybind? It's only one solution, but it seems like it would be pretty workable.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You still have not explained to me why I should not have that *option.*

I never said this, re-read my first post in this topic. I'm not afraid of anything, the option wouldn't effect my gameplay what so ever, it might even add to it, as all the old fogies might be brave enough to queue up for pvp with their new-found confidence in their click targeting, allowing my superior movement and targeting system to steamroll. But let's be honest here, a click targeting system that changes the entire experience of the game is probably not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I never said this, re-read my first post in this topic. I'm not afraid of anything, the option wouldn't effect my gameplay what so ever, it might even add to it, as all the old fogies might be brave enough to queue up for pvp with their new-found confidence in their click targeting, allowing my superior movement and targeting system to steamroll. But let's be honest here, a click targeting system that changes the entire experience of the game is probably not going to happen.

In which case, you need not say anything and can feel safe in your superior gaming. The only way we- as you put it- "old-fogies" have any hope of redress is if we make ourselves heard.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

not just probably, it will never happen. It's a core feature of action mmos.
    the moment this dude saw this was an action mmo he knew how the controls would be like so he made the choice to play it anyway. Now wanting to change the game from action mmo to traditional mmo is being way too much full of one-self. Just sayin'. It's like demandinf FPSs to be turn based. LOL, not making sense at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In which case, you need not say anything and can feel safe in your superior gaming. The only way we- as you put it- "old-fogies" have any hope of redress is if we make ourselves heard.

I was never here to argue for or against the topic, but to add my opinion, and question the OP why they would take off the mouse button hotkeys. I thought that's what open forums were for, opinions :P