test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The fusing system could be so much more.

wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In it's current state, the fusing system is unwieldy and unnecessary with long meaningless cooldowns and fail chances. The system was created from the ground up to sell wards and it shows big time, which does not reflect well on you guys in terms of game design. I'm not going into ward prices because that is something that can easily be tweaked, I think the system could be changed greatly to make it more satisfying and give it something with long-lasting appeal that will make people continue to log into the game.

Very simply, it needs a progression system. Progression is the very basis of free to play games, as people play more their account gains more value and this keeps them coming back or more accurately stops them from leaving. You could make the curve as steep as you like but what I'm suggesting is if I'm fusing all the time my character should become better at it over time. Leveling would increase fusion chance of success and decrease the cooldown (which shouldn't be there in it's current state at all).

Just as an example, at level 1 I could have a 30 second cooldown with an 80% chance of success to fuse a level 2 enchantment. At level 10 it would be reduced to a 10 second cooldown with a 90% chance of success. That's of course if you want to make it steep but the end goal is that when you reach the end of the progression curve you're not failing to make rank 5's ever and there is zero cooldown. The 1% chance of success to make epic enchants would be turned into something like 70%, or even 100% with a long time to fuse (hours).

These are just examples of course and the numbers would be tweaked and the devs goals for the system could be different to mine but I think a progression system for fusing would really help the game. At the moment I feel like I should be going to an NPC to pay him to fuse for me.

TL;DR: Progression system for fusing, that's all.
Post edited by wtfsoindie on

Comments

• Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    The accountants at PWE have responded to your request!!! No, the Enchantment function is working as intended.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes it's working as intended I never said it wasn't. I'll ask you a question: have you ever bought any wards? Even a preservation ward for 100 zen? What if instead of 1% chance of success it was a 50% chance of success, would you buy preservation wards then?

When something is working as intended that doesn't mean it's good, get your head out of your ***.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LOL, just face it, your suggestion has about as much merit as giving bicycles to fish! PWE does not charge for the game, its the micro transaction that keep it floating (even if barely and even if beta) No I haven't made a single purchase since "Gateway-Gate" and nor will I, but in the event I do, I will not buy preservation wards, I would buy Coalescent wards to guarantee my Enchantment. I suggest you do some thoughtful research before your next post because right now you sound like a manure salesman with a mouthful of samples.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wtfsoindie wrote: »
    Yes it's working as intended I never said it wasn't. I'll ask you a question: have you ever bought any wards? Even a preservation ward for 100 zen? What if instead of 1% chance of success it was a 50% chance of success, would you buy preservation wards then?

When something is working as intended that doesn't mean it's good, get your head out of your ***.

Well technically yes, in that scenario assuming the price of the ward is cheaper than the enchant itself. =p

And it's 10 zen per pres.

I agree though that there's not much actual progression with the system.

Basically just fill up with cheap ones until you can afford to splurge on super expensive ones for a little more stats.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LOL, just face it, your suggestion has about as much merit as giving bicycles to fish! PWE does not charge for the game, its the micro transaction that keep it floating (even if barely and even if beta) No I haven't made a single purchase since "Gateway-Gate" and nor will I, but in the event I do, I will not buy preservation wards, I would buy Coalescent wards to guarantee my Enchantment. I suggest you do some thoughtful research before your next post because right now you sound like a manure salesman with a mouthful of samples.

Parroting quips you heard from people smarter than you doesn't help your argument. My point is that preservation wards would be useful if it wasn't a 99% chance of them being a waste of money. Having a dynamic rate of success on fusing means that people at the higher end of the progression curve could buy preservation wards instead of coalescent wards, meaning that the price on them could be increased 5x and still be a real form of revenue.

Listen I get that you don't like the idea but you haven't made one reasonable argument as to why, all you are doing is spouting things like "manure salesman with a mouthful of samples" (307,000 results from google when searching this, very smart and original of you).

I have no idea why these forums seem to cultivate so much angst. Do you think the game is perfect? Do you think like the fusing system as is? Do you find it satisfying? There's no reason for us to fling **** at eachother, if you don't like the idea just say why. When you say it's working as intended it makes me think you come from SW:TOR.
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most of the game could be so much more.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Parroting quips you heard from people smarter than you doesn't help your argument. My point is that preservation wards would be useful if it wasn't a 99% chance of them being a waste of money. Having a dynamic rate of success on fusing means that people at the higher end of the progression curve could buy preservation wards instead of coalescent wards, meaning that the price on them could be increased 5x and still be a real form of revenue.

Listen I get that you don't like the idea but you haven't made one reasonable argument as to why, all you are doing is spouting things like "manure salesman with a mouthful of samples" (307,000 results from google when searching this, very smart and original of you).

You missed my point completely and wasted your time looking up the stats of a quip on Google instead of researching game mechanics which are already in place to make PWE money. No matter how hard you try to get something you "want", if it interferes with PWE's bottom line, it isn't going to happen. Why would they increase the results of a lower priced item thus reducing the need for higher priced items? If they do this, then I want my crappy 5g mount to get faster over time and gain stability over time as well...but you don't see me posting dreck about my wants when I know the mounts are similar to the wards, they are a "cash grab" mechanic of the game.... talking to you about this is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man....I just won't do it. (go ahead and GOOGLE that quip too :P)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You missed my point completely and wasted your time looking up the stats of a quip on Google instead of researching game mechanics which are already in place to make PWE money. No matter how hard you try to get something you "want", if it interferes with PWE's bottom line, it isn't going to happen. Why would they increase the results of a lower priced item thus reducing the need for higher priced items? If they do this, then I want my crappy 5g mount to get faster over time and gain stability over time as well...but you don't see me posting dreck about my wants when I know the mounts are similar to the wards, they are a "cash grab" mechanic of the game.... talking to you about this is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man....I just won't do it. (go ahead and GOOGLE that quip too :P)

Again, working as intended isn't a valid argument when somebody makes a suggestion for improvement.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Again, working as intended isn't a valid argument when somebody makes a suggestion for improvement.

OMFG! What is your "Valid" suggestion for improvement again? All I hear is your whining about wanting to change and fully functioning as intended mechanic because you don't want to support PWE in the way they have "asked" you to support them...with YOUR MONEY!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    OMFG! What is your "Valid" suggestion for improvement again? All I hear is your whining about wanting to change and fully functioning as intended mechanic because you don't want to support PWE in the way they have "asked" you to support them...with YOUR MONEY!

It's beyond your grasp, don't worry about it. Go do something else champ.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's beyond your grasp, don't worry about it. Go do something else champ.

I'm still trying to figure out if you were dropped on your head as a child a little to often, or not enough.

You desire a change in a money making mechanism, in a "pay to win" game. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Maybe, no, CERTAINLY this is beyond your grasp...you should reload WoW and get back to an "Easy Button" game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm still trying to figure out if you were dropped on your head as a child a little to often, or not enough.

You desire a change in a money making mechanism, in a "pay to win" game. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Maybe, no, CERTAINLY this is beyond your grasp...you should reload WoW and get back to an "Easy Button" game.

Reading and writing in paragraphs clearly isn't your forte so I will try to break it down to you.

1. There is currently one form of monetization for fusing, wards.
    2. There are two wards, one is useless and despite being dirt cheap no one in their right mind would buy it.
    3. The other ward is is an essential part of fusing, nothing of value can be fused without it.
    4. A progression system would create opportunities for further monetization through packs, speed boosts, exp boosting or whatever they want.
    5. A progression system would give value to a currently useless cash shop item that no one buys.
    6. Fusing would be possible without spending AD or Zen on wards, which would improve the game's image and stop people from being put off by systems clearly created from the ground up to sell you items from the store.
    7. A progression system would give people more reason to stay with the game because they spent time and have benefits to show for it.

Dispute those points adequately without repeating all the meaningless dribble you have said so far and I will reply. If you can't do that just go. You said that this isn't going to happen because the game is pay to win, you said that it's working as intended and I agree, but that doesn't mean that my suggestion is not an improvement. You argue like a 13 year old with broken sentences and randomly capitalized words, just make a point or go away.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Reading and writing in paragraphs clearly isn't your forte so I will try to break it down to you.

1. There is currently one form of monetization for fusing, wards.
    2. There are two wards, one is useless and despite being dirt cheap no one in their right mind would buy it.
    3. The other ward is is an essential part of fusing, nothing of value can be fused without it.
    4. A progression system would create opportunities for further monetization through packs, speed boosts, exp boosting or whatever they want.
    5. A progression system would give value to a currently useless cash shop item that no one buys.
    6. Fusing would be possible without spending AD or Zen on wards, which would improve the game's image and stop people from being put off by systems clearly created from the ground up to sell you items from the store.
    7. A progression system would give people more reason to stay with the game because they spent time and have benefits to show for it.

Dispute those points adequately without repeating all the meaningless dribble you have said so far and I will reply. If you can't do that just go. You said that this isn't going to happen because the game is pay to win, you said that it's working as intended and I agree, but that doesn't mean that my suggestion is not an improvement. You argue like a 13 year old with broken sentences and randomly capitalized words, just make a point or go away.

#1 is correct
    #2 is the reason that #6 is so profitable for PWE.
    #3 is correct, must obtain or you cannot do it.
    #4 cuts into #3's profitablity.
    #5 Assumes you know what is actually being bought, and by offering ONE less useless item would make you forget the other useless items there.
    #6 (first part of sentence) invalidates your ENTIRE OP and the rest of your wishlist/diatribe/personal attacks etc.etc. Unless this game goes to a subscription, you will never see your desired "improvement" in the game.
    #7 assumes that THIS idea of yours would soothe all the other issues that turn people off about the game, and quite frankly, your issue is a non issue compared to all the other issues on the table.

2 out of 7 doesn't not a valid argument make.

I hope your vacation here in NW had been a pleasant one, have a safe trip on your way home to WoW.
  • Options
    blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    I agree about the uselessness of preservation wards, I can't fathom every buying or using one. Any enchant that even has a reasonable chance at success without a coalescent ward is common enough to never waste money on a preservation ward.

I also agree that the whole enchant system is a horrid cash grab. Not only is the more expensive item blatantly used as a requirement for decent enchants, but there is one thing I find worse---if you are keeping enchants around for fusing, you're burning around half your inventory space on the things.

I'm not sure another progression path is the answer, but I wouldn't mind seeing something that made preservation wards worth using, such as lower grade weapon enchants being introduced with a 40% chance of success or some such thing, perhaps a combine that only uses two shards to make. Not powerful enough to be worth a coalescent, but too much investment to consider going without a ward completely.

Also a gem bag to hold the things in. Yeah, I'd probably even cave and buy the danged thing. Think of a 40 slot enchantment only bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    blaumker wrote: »
    I agree about the uselessness of preservation wards, I can't fathom every buying or using one. Any enchant that even has a reasonable chance at success without a coalescent ward is common enough to never waste money on a preservation ward.

I also agree that the whole enchant system is a horrid cash grab. Not only is the more expensive item blatantly used as a requirement for decent enchants, but there is one thing I find worse---if you are keeping enchants around for fusing, you're burning around half your inventory space on the things.

I'm not sure another progression path is the answer, but I wouldn't mind seeing something that made preservation wards worth using, such as lower grade weapon enchants being introduced with a 40% chance of success or some such thing, perhaps a combine that only uses two shards to make. Not powerful enough to be worth a coalescent, but too much investment to consider going without a ward completely.

Also a gem bag to hold the things in. Yeah, I'd probably even cave and buy the danged thing. Think of a 40 slot enchantment only bag.

Now THIS is an Intelligent post! Offers options that stay concurrent with a Pay to Win model that doesn't affect the bottom line.

I think the Enchant from 5 to 6 is sketchy enough to be a "better use use a Coal" and the 6 to 7 is simple a must have. Anything less and I'll just go hit some nodes for more if fail.

I know people that have mule accounts for enchants and mules for each trade skill to hold previously crafted items for later upgrade tasks. Space is never an issue with them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Some really good ideas here. My idea with the progression system was to make it less exploitative than current, giving a way for people to become successful the hard way instead of the only way while still opening up opportunities for further monetization. A general tweaking of the system as you proposed would be great as well. One thing that has to go in my opinion is the cooldown on fusing, it makes no sense being there. If it's not part of any greater systems allowing it to be sped up then why have it there at all?

It seems strange that they put all of their eggs in the coalescent ward basket that's for sure.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Pres wards ARE useful though.

If the cost of losing that enchant is more than the cost of a single pres ward, it's worth using.

Say combining enchants that cost 8k a piece and a pres ward at 10 zen a piece which would be (worst case scenario) 5000 diamonds (500 : 1 rate).

Not arguing against the fusing system being bad though, it's pretty bland.

It's exactly like CO's I think.
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Pres wards ARE useful though.

If the cost of losing that enchant is more than the cost of a single pres ward, it's worth using.

Say combining enchants that cost 8k a piece and a pres ward at 10 zen a piece which would be (worst case scenario) 5000 diamonds (500 : 1 rate).

Not arguing against the fusing system being bad though, it's pretty bland.

It's exactly like CO's I think.

Pretty much. They tore out COs old crafting system full of mostly useless junk and some costume parts they never replaced so they could beta test mods (enchants) there for NW.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    jeahannejeahanne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why would they increase the results of a lower priced item thus reducing the need for higher priced items? If they do this, then I want my crappy 5g mount to get faster over time and gain stability over time as well...but you don't see me posting dreck about my wants when I know the mounts are similar to the wards, they are a "cash grab" mechanic of the game.... talking to you about this is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man....I just won't do it.

It would serve you well to do a little research before spouting off, as you CAN have your mount get faster and gain stability over time by buying upgrades for it with Astral Diamonds... which, by the way, are free, and aren't a "'cash gab' mechanic" as you put it. It is just currently cheaper to use those Astral Diamonds to outright buy a mount from the exchange or the Auction House than to invest in upgrading one.

So speaking of having a battle of wits with an unarmed person, know your topic before critiquing someone else please.

I personally think that having an upgrade to the upgrading enchantments and runes system in the game would amazing. I'm sick of having an inventory bag full of them at any given point in time with no apparent use for 90% of them. Their only obvious function for me at this point is to hold on to them to MAYBE succeed at making a good one down the road (which would probably cost me zen to keep from failing at and making my hoarding essentially useless). So I agree it needs a rework even if said rework is unlikely because the current system, while pretty bad, is probably profitable for PW at this point.

A bag for enchantments and runes would be a GODSEND though. I'd buy it in a heartbeat provided it isn't exorbitantly priced (and $5-$10 would be about all I'd be willing to throw at it, and $10 is pushing it for me), especially since you aren't even given enough bank space to throw all of the crappy ones in until you're ready to fuse. I can't tell you how annoying it is to get "inventory full" all the time because of runes/enchantments. To be honest, I'd take any of the suggestions above as an enormous improvement upon the current system.
  • Options
    xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    My main problem with it is simply how clunky and unresponsive the UI for it is. Seems to me they'd make more money off wards if the process of using said wards wasn't so painful. I rarely bother with fusing at all because its inconvenient, dull and time consuming.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jeahanne wrote: »
    It would serve you well to do a little research before spouting off, as you CAN have your mount get faster and gain stability over time by buying upgrades for it with Astral Diamonds... which, by the way, are free, and aren't a "'cash gab' mechanic" as you put it. It is just currently cheaper to use those Astral Diamonds to outright buy a mount from the exchange or the Auction House than to invest in upgrading one.

So speaking of having a battle of wits with an unarmed person, know your topic before critiquing someone else please.

I personally think that having an upgrade to the upgrading enchantments and runes system in the game would amazing. I'm sick of having an inventory bag full of them at any given point in time with no apparent use for 90% of them. Their only obvious function for me at this point is to hold on to them to MAYBE succeed at making a good one down the road (which would probably cost me zen to keep from failing at and making my hoarding essentially useless). So I agree it needs a rework even if said rework is unlikely because the current system, while pretty bad, is probably profitable for PW at this point.

A bag for enchantments and runes would be a GODSEND though. I'd buy it in a heartbeat provided it isn't exorbitantly priced (and $5-$10 would be about all I'd be willing to throw at it, and $10 is pushing it for me), especially since you aren't even given enough bank space to throw all of the crappy ones in until you're ready to fuse. I can't tell you how annoying it is to get "inventory full" all the time because of runes/enchantments. To be honest, I'd take any of the suggestions above as an enormous improvement upon the current system.

I'll do no further research into the matter until you learn reading comprehension skills. Re-read the entire post, find the error in your Apples to Bicycles comparison, then you and I could talk on the same level.