Install Arc
Options

Its open beta guys! Hats off to PW.

2»

Comments

• Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    His complaint is he ran out of things to ***** about, so here we are.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    By that definition, every single MMO is constantly in beta since it's constantly in development.

A software is determined to be in a Beta state by the developers. It isn't just any state of development.
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I beg to differ that any game in Open Beta taking money shouldn't be called open Beta lots of game F2P mainly do this scarlet blade said no more wipes only allowed to go to 29 for open beta but cash shop was functioning. the truth is this is the standard for F2P games go to open beta no more wipes, functional cash shop but still lots of tweaks and/or content that needs adding or fixing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    A software is determined to be in a Beta state by the developers. It isn't just any state of development.
    That's fine, like I said, they can label it whatever they want. But their ACTIONS show they are treating it as a launch. They accept money. Instead of wiping, they do a rollback and issue an apology.

Let's look at it this way. What will be different if they ever decide to drop the "open beta" label?
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's fine, like I said, they can label it whatever they want. But their ACTIONS show they are treating it as a launch. They accept money. Instead of wiping, they do a rollback and issue an apology.

Let's look at it this way. What will be different if they ever decide to drop the "open beta" label?

Well, all that's left to say is you're an idiot. Good day.
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    And where is this definition from? Or did you just pull it out of an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on your backside?
    The definition that says when they drop the "open beta" label and tack on the "launch" label, all the character progress, money, zen spent, economy will remain the same.
  • Options
    quadespressoquadespresso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cetra07 wrote: »
    Beta really? One month with no fixes except for exploits. The game seems perfect to me.

This is just patently false. Go look at the Patch notes. Here are the fixes from the May 24/25 patch that are not about exploits:

- Harper contacts now show the correct average playtime of quests.
    - When talking to Harpers, only projects of the same language as the player will show up by default in the Local search. The Featured search still shows all languages.
    - Filter dropdowns on Gateway Mobile no longer overlap.
    - Gateway Mobile now has an outfit switcher, allowing players to switch between Fashion and Combat outfits.
    - Quantities of items (such as Astral Diamonds) attached in mail now display correctly.
    - The order of the filters in the Task List now matches the in-game filter order.
    - The error message is now more helpful when running into an error on login.
    - The Auction Search UI on Gateway Mobile has improved.
    - The translation for Guilds and Auction House lists has improved.
    - The height of text fields and dropdowns on Gateway Mobile has increased for easier use.
    - The login page now has a link back to playneverwinter.com.
    - The fonts on the Gateway login screen have improved.
    - Items no longer go into the Overflow Bag if there is room in other bags.
    - Another contributor to Out of Memory graphics crashes has been fixed.
    - Autocomplete no longer automatically takes focus in chat.

I could go back to other patch notes and pull more examples of updates that do not simply fix exploits.

I get that you want your free game to be perfect and that this 'open beta' does not have all of the defining features of many other games' 'open betas', but as a F2P game, Cryptic/PW are not going to be counting on a huge influx of cash from box sales when the game 'launches,' and they have to pay people to continue developing the game. In fact, part of the point of the open beta may well be to get enough data to estimate future cash flow so that they know /how much/ additional development they can afford to do.

seriously it comes down to: if you like it, play it. if you don't, don't. if you want to spend money, spend it. If you don't, don't. No one's forcing you to do either.

And if you want other things to be fixed, it'd probably be more effective to make a post that actually identifies and prioritizes those issues and their impacts than just ranting about whether it's appropriate to call this phase of the game 'open beta.'
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    I know I've won the argument when the best you can come back with is an insult.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They will have all content in that they are scheduling to be ready for Launch (Gauntlgrym, additional classes) and have a fair amount of major and minor bugs squashed. That is, after all, what a beta period is for.

Beta has nothing to do with monetary transactions. All purchases are optional and made by people aware that the software is labelled as beta.
  • Options
    nazzy52nazzy52 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »

Pot meet kettle...
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is just patently false. Go look at the Patch notes. Here are the fixes from the May 24/25 patch that are not about exploits:

- Items no longer go into the Overflow Bag if there is room in other bags.

I could go back to other patch notes and pull more examples of updates that do not simply fix exploits.

Not saying I agree with the person you quoted but technically I think this one was an exploit fix.
  • Options
    artorusrexartorusrex Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i understand what the OP is getting at. I had this exact same arguement with my guild leader the other day, in that they call it a open beta but i felt it is more of a soft launch.

I felt it was more of a soft launch due to there is no more wipes and they a have moved on to a Monetization stage of the product.
    Since ethically i don't think a company should class a product as "open beta" when not wiping/taking money as to me the "beta" implies it is not ready for release , if they had termed it a soft launch i would be fine with it but by applying the term beta to it i just feel is dishonest. Yes i guess it is more a argument over semantics with what they call it but well that's my opinion.

It was quite amazing how heated a argument was had with my guild leader at the time , as he swore it was a beta , threw out that he was a software developer to he should know , even started asking me if i had spent money on the product (this is after a diatribe on that people who don't spend cash on are the ones that are moaning saying in reality its a soft launch)
    and when i admitted yes then preceded to say oh well that isn't much then preceded to say he had spent over
  • Options
    iamthetoastmaniamthetoastman Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can still believe anything I want. I could think that this is the best or worst game ever made. None of your business and none of PWE's business. Like I said already, PWE can call their game whatever they want. It doesnt change my opinion though.

ROFL, you can believe in the easter bunny or jesus, but that doesnt make it real. The status of the development is determined by the developer alone, and they have clearly stated that it is in open beta phase.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is in live open beta, and will remain as such, until Cryptic decides its ready for launch, as per the Lead Producer, Andy Velasquez.

Since this thread, which started in the wrong tone, has degraded further into name calling trolling/bickering, this ones getting put to rest... where it belongs.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
This discussion has been closed.