test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why this called Open Beta when it's Alpha?

2»

Comments

• futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nekoakurei wrote: »
    A normal boxed game has to be bug free (mostly) and ready before being released, as all sales are made through buying the game itself at a one time cost. f2p MMO's however gain revenue through it's shop, which some people will still use no matter what state the game is in (as has been shown). This means that f2p MMO can go into "open beta" faster and start gaining revenue before the game is technically ready, so the schedule for games like this never changes.

This also means that a game can stay in "open beta" while still gaining revenue and under the protection of "open beta" from review sites and it's own community. They could honestly take 2 years to fix any issue and there will still be people saying "relax, its open beta".
    All true.

You realize that with all that you agreed with me, right?
    I was saying that there isn't a release date yet to push back because there doesn't NEED to be one. All for these reasons stated. And this isn't something new, it is very common among MMOs (and not just F2P ones). This is because their development time is vastly longer than non-MMO games and they need to start generating revenue sooner.
  • lostdrafteelostdraftee Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klipsta wrote: »
    You're completely out of touch with reality. You have an overzealous sense of entitlement and expectations of a free to play game published by a notoriously dispassionate company. Your thread has no merit and no point, and it only acts as a passive aggressive insult to the employees of said company. I can tell from your writing that English isn’t your first language so I apologize for assuming you are a child. Please grow up and act your age. If you’re unsatisfied with the current product by all means stop playing. Your thread is immature and worthless in the grand scheme of things.
    Again, you tell me that I have "overzealous sense of entitlement" while deciding on your own that this thread "has no merit and no point, and it only acts as a passive aggressive insult to the employees of said company", yet there are people that agree with me. What you say is simply not true. Nowhere in my post was any personal insults to any of named company employees. And what "passive aggressive insult" is even mean? How can "aggressive insult" can be "passive"? And what is the Grand Scheme of thing are you talking about? This topic is perfectly make sense as expression of customer's dissapointment and contains some examples of what caused such dissapointment.
  • maggotholemaggothole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's always a hero of the north defending the flaws in the game.

Listen, I like the game, but there are a lot of things that need to be addressed. Hiding your head in the sand because you paid 200$ and want to justify that purchase isn't helping the game at all.
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maggothole wrote: »
    It's always a hero of the north defending the flaws in the game.

Listen, I like the game, but there are a lot of things that need to be addressed. Hiding your head in the sand because you paid 200$ and want to justify that purchase isn't helping the game at all.

If you are so knowledgeable on what needs to be addressed spend you time creating a thread listing it. That may actually help the game. Coming into a thread to attack players doesn't address what you think needs to be accomplished. So be proactive. Create a thread and list what you believe needs to be addressed.

Arguing in a thread over what stage the company labels its software goes nowhere.
  • xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Believe me, I've got no enjoyment in your butthurt but as software engineer (simply developer or programmer) with 4.5 years of expirience I have to say that I have some idea of what alpha stage of product is.

If you actually had that much experience in software development, especially in the game industry, no part of that paragraph would have left your mouth. Neverwinter is in a beta state. Its core mechanics are complete and 98% of its systems are operational. Yes, it has bugs, but that's why its technically in a beta stage. What's its missing at this point is simply content. Also, when dealing with a project with the complexity of an MMO within the confines of a major studio nothing is a simple or easy fix.

Yes, I would classify Cryptic's current efforts as subpar in that department, but to claim that this is all easy to fix shows a profound lack of understanding of how the development process of a project like this works.

Also, I would bet that many things have in fact been fixed but they are being held off as part of a major build update that will coincide with the release of a major content update such as Module 1. Thus what we're getting right now are largely immediate emergency fixes. Whilst any other fixes or content additions are being tested together internally on a test server. Which will eventually be made into a public test server down the road.
  • klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    Again, you tell me that I have "overzealous sense of entitlement" while deciding on your own that this thread "has no merit and no point, and it only acts as a passive aggressive insult to the employees of said company", yet there are people that agree with me. What you say is simply not true. Nowhere in my post was any personal insults to any of named company employees. And what "passive aggressive insult" is even mean? How can "aggressive insult" can be "passive"? And what is the Grand Scheme of thing are you talking about? This topic is perfectly make sense as expression of customer's dissapointment and contains some examples of what caused such dissapointment.

Please. Google passive aggressive if you have trouble understanding why posting anonymously on an online message board about the overall level of completeness isn't up to par. It's an insult to the developers to A) Assume their so incompetent that can't program or label their game correctly and B)Thinking that you as an individual have more knowledge and authority than they do about their own game. The forums are not a place to come and express your disappointment. You can and should discuss why you are disappointed and why you think they should be fixed. This isn't a thread that accomplishes anything positively which is why it has no merit.
    edited May 2013
    xhiven wrote: »
    If you actually had that much experience in software development, especially in the game industry, no part of that paragraph would have left your mouth. Neverwinter is in a beta state. Its core mechanics are complete and 98% of its systems are operational. Yes, it has bugs, but that's why its technically in a beta stage. What's its missing at this point is simply content. Also, when dealing with a project with the complexity of an MMO within the confines of a major studio nothing is a simple or easy fix.

Yes, I would classify Cryptic's current efforts as subpar in that department, but to claim that this is all easy to fix shows a profound lack of understanding of how the development process of a project like this works.

Also, I would bet that many things have in fact been fixed but they are being held off as part of a major build update that will coincide with the release of a major content update such as Module 1. Thus what we're getting right now are largely immediate emergency fixes. Whilst any other fixes or content additions are being tested together internally on a test server. Which will eventually be made into a public test server down the road.
    Look, I really have to go to work now so I'll try to keep it short. First, where did you get 98% number? For example how much percentage not working class mechanics or not adecuate (in some cases) AI for companions are count for? This game not having "some" bugs this game so much bugs that it's really strange too see it in open beta. Yes, such thing as meshes in game especially clipping character models in static and allowance of negative input in some fields is extremely easy to fix. And who declared Cryptic as major game developers? I don't want to insult them but it's not like they have some projects in past with huge success like bigger mmos. And I would'n count Neverwinter as very complex game due to lack of open world and overall pretty much controlled environment. And last but not least, nowhere in my posts I have claimed to work in game industry. Software industry as many well awared, not limited by game development.
    edited May 2013
    Please. Google passive aggressive if you have trouble understanding why posting anonymously on an online message board about the overall level of completeness isn't up to par. It's an insult to the developers to A) Assume their so incompetent that can't program or label their game correctly and B)Thinking that you as an individual have more knowledge and authority than they do about their own game. The forums are not a place to come and express your disappointment. You can and should discuss why you are disappointed and why you think they should be fixed. This isn't a thread that accomplishes anything positively which is why it has no merit.
    Ok, one more minute. "The forums are not a place to come and express your disappointment." why is that? "Thinking that you as an individual have more knowledge and authority than they do about their own game." where did you get that? "This isn't a thread that accomplishes anything positively which is why it has no merit." again, you've decided it on your own. And how your insults towards me are going to do "anything positively"? "Assume their so incompetent that can't program or label their game correctly" this is not an insult, this is a quality of product. You know, calling me "teenager" and "trolling" while using Guy Fawkes mask as userpic seems wierd to me.
  • hatey0hatey0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is an alpha, being treated like a launch, and being called an open beta.
  • klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    Ok, one more minute. "The forums are not a place to come and express your disappointment." why is that? "Thinking that you as an individual have more knowledge and authority than they do about their own game." where did you get that? "This isn't a thread that accomplishes anything positively which is why it has no merit." again, you've decided it on your own. And how your insults towards me are going to do "anything positively"? "Assume their so incompetent that can't program or label their game correctly" this is not an insult, this is a quality of product. You know, calling me "teenager" and "trolling" while using Guy Fawkes mask as userpic seems wierd to me.

It's not for your useless complaining about nothing. Email them for that so they can ignore it. You're not offering anything of value with this thread. You're just bashing the developers for not living up to your standards and expectations. The forums are a place to discuss real issues, not rallying pitchforks. You wrote one poorly wondered and constructed paragraph saying that there was something wrong with the developers, talking about bugs instead of reporting them or even saying which ones they were. I haven't decided on my own this has no merit; I've looked at the OP and concluded this based on the given evidence. This isn't an opinion; it's a statement of fact. This thread serves no purpose to anyone but yourself as a way of making yourself feel better by getting angry and raging at the developers. You offer no evidence for your claims, no solutions to the problems an no feedback that is actually usable. This is the definition of a rant. My choice of avatar has nothing to do with the main point I'm making, and your insistence on using that as a point of contention is even more evidence that this thread has no merit. Instead of developing your thoughts into a cohesive argument you sink to the level of making baseless comparisons to my avatar and my choice of words. I wasn't calling you a teenager as an insult, but merely as an educated guess based on the lack of sophistication in your prose and your selfish sense of entitlement.
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    it's not for your useless complaining about nothing. Email them for that so they can ignore it. You're not offering anything of value with this thread. You're just bashing the developers for not living up to your standards and expectations. The forums is a place to discuss real issues, not rallying pitchforks. You wrote one poorly wondered and constructed paragraph saying that there was something wrong with the developers, talking about bugs instead of reporting them or even saying which ones they were. I haven't decided on my own this has no merit, i've looked at the op and concluded this based on the given evidence. This isn't an opinion, it's a statement of fact. This thread serves no purpose to anyone but yourself as a way of making yourself feel better by getting angry and raging at the developers. You offer no evidence for your claims, no solutions to the problems an no feedback that is actually usable. This is the definition of a rant. My choice of avatar has nothing to do with the main point i'm making, and your insistence on using that as a point of contention is even more evidence that this thread has no merit. Instead of developing your thoughts into a cohesive argument you sink to the level of making baseless comparisons to my avatar and my choice of words. I wasn't calling you a teenager as an insult, but merely as an educated guess based on the lack of sophistication in your prose and your selfish sense of entitlement.

holy wall of text!!!
  • enebriatedenebriated Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Retraining Token
    Retrain Feats, Powers, and Ability Scores
    600 zen

This is exactly why NW is not beta. How can you beta the combat system and numbers if you have to pay 6 dollars every time you want to test something different and give feedback on it? This should be completely free until the official launch.
  • mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enebriated wrote: »
    Retraining Token
    Retrain Feats, Powers, and Ability Scores
    600 zen

This is exactly why NW is not beta. How can you beta the combat system and numbers if you have to pay 6 dollars every time you want to test something different and give feedback on it? This should be completely free until the official launch.

This game is released, and in Open Beta stage. Nothing more nothing less.

DO NOT SPEND MONEY IN IT, unless you have too much money and don't care about loosing it.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So wait. This is so confusing. After everyone argueing so hard that the game wasn't beta but was actually launched/live we find out that no it is actually alpha? ::blink:: ::blink:: really?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is in the LOCUST phase. Where all the locust players come in, rush to endgame, exploit, whine about bugs, lack of content, anything that isn't free and generally act like asshats. However like locust they will eat though the game and then move onto the next one and this game can move out of the LOCUST phase
  • enebriatedenebriated Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »
    This game is released, and in Open Beta stage. Nothing more nothing less.

DO NOT SPEND MONEY IN IT, unless you have too much money and don't care about loosing it.

I don't spend money on it and never will until it is fixed. And I'm fine with a cash shop to support a game, I also play several other F2P mmos and use their cash shops. But you missed my point. Are we not supposed to be testing this game for bugs and reporting them to help facilitate a faster official release date? Why are we paying PWE to test combat for bugs? I know to some 6 dollars is trivial, but if you want to test out a bunch of different abilities then it could add up very quickly just to say 'Yep, you have a bug here, here, and here' or 'This ability works but fails to work when coupled with this ability'.

Again, how can this be called BETA if we are paying them for respecs that is essential for testing combat and skills?
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enebriated wrote: »
    I don't spend money on it and never will until it is fixed. And I'm fine with a cash shop to support a game, I also play several other F2P mmos and use their cash shops. But you missed my point. Are we not supposed to be testing this game for bugs and reporting them to help facilitate a faster official release date? Why are we paying PWE to test combat for bugs? I know to some 6 dollars is trivial, but if you want to test out a bunch of different abilities then it could add up very quickly just to say 'Yep, you have a bug here, here, and here' or 'This ability works but fails to work when coupled with this ability'.

Again, how can this be called BETA if we are paying them for respecs that is essential for testing combat and skills?

Answer is obvious but since you don't get it I will explain it to you. Because you don't have to pay to respec. You can trade AD for zen or you can delete and level up again. You have choices besides buying a respec token. Only thing you pay for is convenience and time in this game. Everything in this game can be looted or bought without using real money. When someone chooses to pay for something they are paying for the convenience and time of not having to earn it.
  • hexagarhexagar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Personally i lost interest in the game for 2 reasons.

classes are unbalanced in the worst kind of way. I have no desire to play a game full of rogues...

They decided to rollback the game instead of wiping the **** out of it . Content is so broken that feels like a rushed unfinished
    Pile of bugs. Why should i keep playing a broken game?

Patch notes are a joke. They stink of amateurism . They always "fix " things that are still broken after every patch
    and their only concern is to add some **** in to the shop. I mean seriously half of the current companions doesn't even work but
    Instead of fixing them u add some more into the shop?

Mounts from the shop are purely a p2w purchase, wards are too a p2w purchase. Dont argue that, i wont bother to explain that to the
    Ape minded funboys . This game is the definition of the broken **** festival and i wonbe bothering with it anymore.

Btw i spent 50 euros for this game and that's more or less the amount for a retail edition of a FINISHED product.

I think that the OP has many valid points and all i see in this thread is a regiment of whitenights defending this by all means broken product
  • ceaser35751280ceaser35751280 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its really sad to see gamers accept trash games like this and defend the developers who make them sad thing is more and more company's are going to follow this business model cause gamers are quick to hand there money over for complete garbage shame on you people who defend this pos game.
  • hexagarhexagar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Its really sad to see gamers accept trash games like this and defend the developers who make them sad thing is more and more company's are going to follow this business model cause gamers are quick to hand there money over for complete garbage shame on you people who defend this pos game.

Exactly that. Well said friend.
    edited May 2013
    It's not for your useless complaining about nothing. Email them for that so they can ignore it. You're not offering anything of value with this thread. You're just bashing the developers for not living up to your standards and expectations. The forums are a place to discuss real issues, not rallying pitchforks. You wrote one poorly wondered and constructed paragraph saying that there was something wrong with the developers, talking about bugs instead of reporting them or even saying which ones they were. I haven't decided on my own this has no merit; I've looked at the OP and concluded this based on the given evidence. This isn't an opinion; it's a statement of fact. This thread serves no purpose to anyone but yourself as a way of making yourself feel better by getting angry and raging at the developers. You offer no evidence for your claims, no solutions to the problems an no feedback that is actually usable. This is the definition of a rant. My choice of avatar has nothing to do with the main point I'm making, and your insistence on using that as a point of contention is even more evidence that this thread has no merit. Instead of developing your thoughts into a cohesive argument you sink to the level of making baseless comparisons to my avatar and my choice of words. I wasn't calling you a teenager as an insult, but merely as an educated guess based on the lack of sophistication in your prose and your selfish sense of entitlement.
    I doubt that you even bother to read OP. And since you're constantly assaulting me with walls of irrelevant text you are either very angry at me or just emotionaly unstable. So I'll better ignore you and maybe you will go away.

On subject:
    Forums flooded with complaints about bugs and overall sad state of the game. Obviously it was to early for Open Beta. Game is just not yet completed. I just hope it will be so I can continue to enjoy foundry.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alpha? I thought it was Super Turbo Championship Edition.