What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Only 4 people here had 2 minutes to spare lol

13»

Comments

• wolf213wolf213 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Wuhsin,

I am going to suggest a few things. I can understand your frustration with how few people have seen and reviewed your quests. Trust me the feeling is mutual. I am pretty sure the majority here feel exactly the same. Goodness, I have not even put out my first quest and I am worried about it for myself.

I think right now you should ignore everyone here who are attacking you, and I dare say their bases are not claim-less but never the less unfair.

Rather than creating threads and posts venting your frustration over your lack of quest plays, try, and I mean try to look at why these things are happening. As I've said, many people are having the same problems. But besides that think about the things your quests do and do not do compared to the more popular ones here. Innovation is great, but make that transition more gradual from the content people are so used to as an example. Think about how you are promoting your quests. Your banner for example, it's quite big. Is that likely to annoy people or capture their attention? Is negative attention good? I'd suggest some trailers and well written quest threads for a start.

I think you also need to remember that these two quests are your first ones. You are a brand new author in a pool of brand new, veteran and expert authors. Don't be disheartened that you have not been noticed yet! Find your footing, your audience and build up a reputation that might just bring you to the foundry fame you crave. Don't inversely construct a negative reputation by encouraging the people here who are angry with you. Ignore them. Learn from your mistakes and you might find, in time and with patience, exactly what you are looking for.

I won't lie. You have not done yourself any good favours for this recently, but it's not too late. Don't listen to the people here who claim you will never be liked, or your quests never seen. With patience, a positive mind and a little self restraint you can do this. :)
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wolf213 wrote: »
    Hey Wushin,

I am going to suggest a few things. I can understand your frustration with how few people have seen and reviewed your quests. Trust me the feeling is mutual. I am pretty sure the majority here feel exactly the same. Goodness, I have not even put out my first quest and I am worried about it for myself.

I think right now you should ignore everyone here who are attacking you, and I dare say their bases are not claim-less but never the less unfair.

Rather than creating threads and posts venting your frustration over your lack of quest plays, try, and I mean try to look at why these things are happening. As I've said, many people are having the same problems. But besides that think about the things your quests do and do not do compared to the more popular ones here. Innovation is great, but make that transition more gradual from the content people are so used to as an example. Think about how you are promoting your quests. Your banner for example, it's quite big. Is that likely to annoy people or capture their attention? Is negative attention good? I'd suggest some trailers and well written quest threads for a start.

I think you also need to remember that these two quests are your first ones. You are a brand new author in a pool of brand new, veteran and expert authors. Don't be disheartened that you have not been noticed yet! Find your footing, your audience and build up a reputation that might just bring you to the foundry fame you crave. Don't inversely construct a negative reputation by encouraging the people here who are angry with you. Ignore them. Learn from your mistakes and you might find, in time and with patience, exactly what you are looking for.

I won't lie. You have not done yourself any good favours for this recently, but it's not too late. Don't listen to the people here who claim you will never be liked, or your quests never seen. With patience, a positive mind and a little self restraint you can do this. :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I could edit the name of this thread because a lot of people have reviewed my quest since I started it, and actually my reviews have been mostly positive. I'm pretty happy now with the handful of fans I have, and will work harder on future projects to try and please everyone. I appreciate all my reviewers, even the ones who only rate me one star and leave no constructive feedback. I'll thank them all regardless over and over, despite whatever bile some of them might spew on here in my threads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    vaelic wrote: »
    I tested it for you and left notes in the review box :)

Can you try mine out in return? it's in my sig

I just finished your quest, rated it four stars, and reviewed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I could edit the name of this thread because a lot of people have reviewed my quest since I started it, and actually my reviews have been mostly positive.

Polite...
    I'm pretty happy now with the handful of fans I have, and will work harder on future projects to try and please everyone.

... still polite...
    I appreciate all my reviewers, even the ones who only rate me one star and leave no constructive feedback.

... still polite...
    I'll thank them all regardless over and over, despite whatever bile some of them might spew on here in my threads.

.... there it is.
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    Polite...

... still polite...

... still polite...

.... there it is.

So sue me for only being polite 75% of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    it just doesn't take long for the mask to slip, that's all.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just keep coming back because it is like watching a train wreck.
    edited May 2013
    yospeck wrote: »
    it just doesn't take long for the mask to slip, that's all.

Quit being so annoying. Nobody asked you to approve of everything I say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    It seems on every forum there are bunch of flat-out rude jerks who want to quote everything you say, and try to defame your character. Guess what? That's against the TOS. I'm going to start reporting everyone who comes in here trying to be rude and insulting. I might be abrasive when you approach me with unconstructive criticism, but I don't barge into other people's threads and slander them when they are just trying to get reviews. NEWS FLASH: Nobody's personality is perfect. If you guys have this much time to psychologically profile some stranger online, you need to get a hobby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It seems on every forum there are bunch of flat-out rude jerks who want to quote everything you say, and try to defame your character. Guess what? That's against the TOS. I'm going to start reporting everyone who comes in here trying to be rude and insulting. I might be abrasive when you approach me with unconstructive criticism, but I don't barge into other people's threads and slander them when they are just trying to get reviews. NEWS FLASH: Nobody's personality is perfect. If you guys have this much time to psychologically profile some stranger online, you need to get a hobby.

Unconstructive criticism.. Several of us telling you that your attitude is driving away plays is us being rude jerks and offering unconstructive criticism. By all means, report us to the forum moderators. Our threads are not the ones that have been locked, deleted, and caused us to get warnings or bans.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Unconstructive criticism.. Several of us telling you that your attitude is driving away plays is us being rude jerks and offering unconstructive criticism. By all means, report us to the forum moderators. Our threads are not the ones that have been locked, deleted, and caused us to get warnings or bans.

Maybe YOURS aren't, but I know one other person here who had mod action taken against them already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also, you have no right to say anything negative about my attitude with the way you've jumped on every troll band-wagon you've come across on here. Shut up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    My patience has worn thin with people on here. If you want me to be nice, approach me with some RESPECT instead of an immediate attitude of trying to find some tiny personality flaw to pick at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also, people said it themselves the ONLY attitude they put up with from author authors is one of SILENT HUMILITY which does NOT get plays. So you can get used to me harping, and butting heads with anyone who decides to slander me or my work. Slander is not constructive criticism. I'm not acting like Barrack Obama before election time to please you when you have about as much respect for your fellow human being as a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> flinging chimpanzee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My patience has worn thin with people on here. If you want me to be nice, approach me with some RESPECT instead of an immediate attitude of trying to find some tiny personality flaw to pick at.

Perhaps you should go reread not just this thread but every thread you have berated the community in. You will find that each time you are treated with respect and you escalate the issue. We have tried on repeated occasions to get you to see that, because as a community we still had patience for you.. When that patience truly runs out you will find every post you make to be a ghost town, just like your quests.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Perhaps you should go reread not just this thread but every thread you have berated the community in. You will find that each time you are treated with respect and you escalate the issue. We have tried on repeated occasions to get you to see that, because as a community we still had patience for you.. When that patience truly runs out you will find every post you make to be a ghost town, just like your quests.

Perhaps you should seriously consider rereading the posts I was replying to instead of just my posts, and see what kind of hogwash I have to put up with from some people, instead of immediately assuming my mildly abrasive statements automatically made me a horrible Satanic panda-killing puppy-drowning monster or some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dysfunctiondemotivator.jpg
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    dysfunctiondemotivator.jpg

I have satisfying relationships, just not with people like you, so fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I roll to disbelieve.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited May 2013
    You people think by coming in here and insulting me constantly I'll become a better person and like you. Sorry, that is a terribly deluded fantasy, step outside or at least watch the news and you'll discover that if you go diss a coked up homeless man for being poor he might eat your face. People don't like being provoked. You provoke me, you might not get a happy rainbow fun time response out of me every time. I might chew you out, I might make a sarcastic remark, I might be very abrasive. Depends on how much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I've taken that day, and during the past few days advertising my quests I've put up with an exceptional buttload of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. So my fuse is short right now. I might blow up on you. Deal with it. Not everyone is going to praise you for insulting them over the internet.

"Your painting sucks!" or "You're abrasive!" would not fly on DeviantArt as constructive criticism. I don't know why you think it would here applying to Foundry missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    I mean this in the least offensive way possible. I have no intention of ever playing any of your quests because everything you post is offensive.
    edited May 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    I mean this in the least offensive way possible. I have no intention of ever playing any of your quests because everything you post is offensive.

Sorry for hurting your ego. It's whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As amusing as it is to watch from a distance, may I ask why is this thread in the Foundry forum? Isn't there some self-help site somewhere out there it can be transferred to?
    My new quest:

WIP
  • luther8luther8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you can get your quest to be qualified for the daily quest then I'll play the two minute one.
    The Adventures of Sherlock Colms

Quest I
    The Mysteries at Fang Ridge!
    Short code: NW-DGTN72HYL
    edited May 2013
    luther8 wrote: »
    If you can get your quest to be qualified for the daily quest then I'll play the two minute one.

Sorry but it's too short to qualify to be quite honest. A lot of peoples' frustration seems to be rooted in the fact my quests are not made to be convenient for getting their dailies. I'll try to make my next quest around 20 minutes so it can qualify.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I do give you props on the concept for this quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
    edited May 2013
    notaurious wrote: »
    I do give you props on the concept for this quest.

Thanks. I'll try to make the next one even better. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to be honest, not going to troll, and I have absolutely no bias based on anyone's reputation on the forums.

I played Catacombs of Dread for about forty-five minutes and ended up quitting because there was no sense of progress or importance to the tasks being given. Yes, the rooms felt empty and they were too big (too many big rooms to decorate with the budget, try to keep huge two story rooms to a minimum) and it felt like the map was as big as it was to fill up the 2000 x 2000 space of the custom map. I suggest if you want a scope this big, separate the sections of the dungeon into separate maps so it feels like the player is making progress once they progress to another map. Also, keep in mind that 2000 x 2000 maps are generally used by cryptic to house a whole series of quests. I also felt like what little decoration there was it was my task to get rid of after removing most of the details from the first two or three rooms.

The objectives are very reminiscent of WoW, and I don't know if this is intentional or not. If you want to make a satire of MMO quests you can poke fun at it without making it into two hours. Once cryptic gets it working, we'll be able to quit quests between maps and finish them later, which should help you a lot with long quests, except this one seems to be all one map (I'm guessing, because if I spent 45 minutes in the first three rooms, I'd expect the quest to be more like 10 hours if it went to another map that size). Also, until Cryptic implements the ability to put treasure into dungeons, more linear maps are going to get better ratings. My first version of my Tucker's Kobolds quest had a non-linear true-to-life dungeon map and many players were upset with there being no point to some of the branches of the dungeon, so I redesigned the whole map.

Also, the lack of waypoints in a dungeon that size with so many objectives is frustrating. I reserve doing that only for investigation portions of where you have to look for clues (and on a much smaller map). You may at least want to turn on area shading.

Lastly, you're going to get negative feedback on every quest you do, no matter how good you are at making a quest. Think of yourself as a business, and take everyone's feedback into consideration. If a lot of people are saying the same thing, you might want to tweak the quest. You can make as many updates to it as you want. I'm still improving my first quest even as I make my second one. Once you iron out the stuff the majority of the people are complaining about you will get higher ratings. As a rule of thumb I usually ignore one star ratings. Most people don't give one star unless they're either trolling or mad about something (running out of bag space, getting poor loot, etc). I've noticed that most honest reviewers will give 2-3 stars for a quest they really didn't like.

EDIT: Also, if you've played WoW, you remember the Barrens before Cataclysm and the mentality of people in the zone chat. It was largely because people were bored while running around a map an eighth the size of the entire game world. You don't want that mentality to be the mentality with which people review your quest. Blizzard later made the zone two separate areas and the quests more linear so a questgiver wouldn't send you to the other end of the map to retrieve something.

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!