test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch removed 80% of treasure and node drops in the Areas that were "adjusted"

Comments

• xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xumina bite me i'm half asleep been up killing people and farming monsters all night and im out of coffee. My bags are full right now of loot including resources for crafting and im happy they removed those nodes and chests.

Ok.. *bite*
  • gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    The only possible explanation anyone could get so mad over such a change in a game would be if one was making real money from it. Anything else, is simply insanity.
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    PWE, if this is true, and you removed nodes, would someone there care to explain the reasoning behind it? The game is a blast to play, and it's free. but its lacking in alot of areas that other games also F2P make up for...if this is the truth, I may be heading back to Rift myself...at least there I was able to gear up and gain good ingame items without going broke doing so. I mean I know this is still a so called beta, but you guys could lighten up a bit on how some things are handled...just adding my 2 cents and I'm sure thats about all it's worth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • hadriax1hadriax1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hank41 wrote: »
    Do you know how Laws are made in this country? Troll

When enough people "whine" about a change that is needed.

I understand a change was needed as they put chest on a timer good job.....3 days later they remove around 75% of all the chest and nodes from the quest lines.

How and the **** is that whining?

Move along Troll.

really? thats how things get changed? so how many people need to "whine" about aggro issues or the over all uslessness of GF's and GWF's before something is done about them?.

It's not so much that they took out the chests, it's more a trend of "immediatly smaking down anything that makes people money (zen/AD) and not spending it". As opposed to actually "fixing " issues that people are actually "whinning" about.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gillityr wrote: »
    The only possible explanation anyone could get so mad over such a change in a game would be if one was making real money from it. Anything else, is simply insanity.

Well, or if one was using the feature normally, and suddenly it's changed because of the actions of others. I'd imagine that would be pretty annoying. /shrug

(like I said, I haven't been in those zones since the patch, so I can't respond specifically to the OP's comments until I see the changes for myself.)
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sad to see them nerfing everything but that is cryptics own fault. having a currency that is extremely hard to get and you will always find people using exploits to get them. there should only be gold and zen. the whole astral diamond thing is the whole problem here.

sad thing is tho cryptic is just gonna end up nerfing their game into oblivion.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    sad to see them nerfing everything but that is cryptics own fault. having a currency that is extremely hard to get and you will always find people using exploits to get them. there should only be gold and zen. the whole astral diamond thing is the whole problem here.

Eh, the whole intermediate currency thing works reasonably well in Star Trek (dilithium, not diamonds :)), but it isn't used in the auction house there so the system isn't quite the same. (but, yeah - they had to iron out some, er, "overly efficient" methods of getting dilithium via the Foundry. :p)
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kamuii2 wrote: »

It's not how I spend my game time but if people wanted to spend their time gathering materials to sell I'm not seeing what the issue is. It's not like they are botting it (dealing with bots is a whole other thing and needs addressing directly not by nerfing anything bots can do) or duping anything.

In LOTRO if I wanted to spend my time gathering scholar materials for the AH then that was my business. Prices would go down in good supply and demand fashion. That's how crafting and the economy works.

The only difference here seems to be that lower prices due to increased supply in the AH means less pressure on players to convert Zen to AD as enchantments are relatively affordable.

This doesn't look like fixing an exploit to me, but fixing a hole in the Zen Gravy Boat.

What am I missing that makes this such a big deal? (Genuine question, non-snarky answers welcomed)
  • killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The real problem here is that 90% of this thread is nothing but pointless name calling, and not one moderator stepped in to curb the misguided enthusiasm. Maybe this is something Cryptic can address soon?

I have to side with the OP here. This rather drastic 80% cut in drops will only hurt the low/mid players that are trying to level up their professions. Most the rare profession tasks also require rare resources, which were previously only found via these node drops that were nerfed. Please don't bother suggesting to buy the overpriced resources from (you?) at the AH. Why would I spend 30K AD on a resource so I can build an item that I can sell for 2K? I can only imagine that this change will serve to escalate the already OP AH resource items to a new all time high. *sighs*

@Cryptic - I realize that you all have reasons for the changes you make in-game, but it seems like sometimes you immediately jump to extreme changes, rather than taking a more subtle approach with moderate changes over time until you find a good balance. Maybe its something you can consider in the future?
  • pannrapannra Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Such limited space wouldn't be bad if not for the 7 ranks of enchants, special enchants, bound and unbound pots. Paying real money to respec is complete bs. Add to this that it takes like 3 days to hit level cap and then there's nothing to do but the dungeons you've already run. This is a cool game, love the combat and varied zones. Foundry rocks.
    Yet I'm still quitting. Happy I didn't spend a dime. You guys should emulate LoL. I've spent over 200 dollars on that game for skins. Granted the skins look cool but the real reason I spent that money was to support Riot for being an awesome company. Look at their forums, reds give real answers then stay in the thread and continue talking. Here all they say is"Wish i had more info but I don't sorry."
    You guys have a great game. As it stands you'll make money off this. Ship up and you could make a boatload of money.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well without profession nodes crafting isn't interesting anymore. I'm ok with some booster packs, but when the booster packs becomes a mandatory purchase to play professions, that's just not interesting anymore. If i can't get white profession materials for free (since we need a ****load of it to level up professions), i don't see why i would buy blue or purple assets. No way i pay for white <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we used to be able to loot easily. I'll stick to protect caravan stuff and that's it.
  • swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Or he's pissed about having less nodes and chests to loot when he did nothing wrong?
    This. I think the OP's point was poorly stated. However, if they did indeed remove most of the nodes/chests, that's a terrible fix if it's meant to be the permanent solution.
  • mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killerella wrote: »
    @Cryptic - I realize that you all have reasons for the changes you make in-game, but it seems like sometimes you immediately jump to extreme changes, rather than taking a more subtle approach with moderate changes over time until you find a good balance. Maybe its something you can consider in the future?

What future?

If people find out, they are greedy, and fix only their finacial "loopholes" first, they will stay away. Or will not spend any money.

And for the crafting system, if I do not find the recources in proper quantities ingame, I will not craft anything. I loose nothing here. I can still reach level 60. :D Besides that, I will only craft, if the items are usefull for my level as I reach it. If not, I either do not see the nessessary to craft anything at all.
  • storminrhstorminrh Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that this was a little extreme. For those who don't know this was basically a 'quest instance' that you could zone into and there are a couple profession nodes pretty early inside. There was a bit of mob clearing but very easy to farm, maybe 3 minutes to loot them all then repeat. This wasn't as extreme as getting a ton of rank 4 enchants in a few minutes like people are saying, you would get mostly rank 2 and 3 enchantments and some residium or other random profession greens that you would expect from a mid 40ish profession node.

I personally don't think that it needed to be removed, finding a nice spot to farm profession nodes has been difficult to say the least. Most games that require you to loot nodes for professions have spawns all over in abundance where people can go farm all day if they chose. The fact that this was an instance still doesn't really bother me, at most they could have added a lockout to instances after you've zoned in a set amount of times to slow things down if they thought it was necessary.

The professions event has already been nurfed to a weird 30 minute thing that leaves gaps in the daily events. The exact wording from the event is "At least one Professions Resource guaranteed! Head out into the world and find yours now.". When I was new to the game and getting interested in professions, leveling up etc, I read that and thought oh wow cool there are daily events where I can go harvest and get extra materials. When I hit max level and wanted to start gathering profession mats I was at a loss for where to go. Do I just run around randomly looking for nodes, what zone should I go to? They don't appear on your map which is usually the case, but in games where that happens the nodes have semi-random spawn points.

After searching for a while you figure out that the nodes always spawn in the same places and don't vary in there type at all for that spawn. It's only natural to think that once people know this they will find a spot they like with multiple spawns relatively close and accessible for them to 'loop' around and farm profession mats, this is no different in any other game except people in this game visit the same spawn over and over, not by choice but by game design. Is this really an issue to the point that nodes should be removed at the rate they are? The above example had 5 nodes, now only 1 remains. Now people have to go wander around again until they find an area with a decent amount of nodes near by to gather from once again. If I had to guess once this happens they will remove the nodes once more and repeat this process until profession nodes are semi-rare and spread out in such a way efficient farming is not possible. For example having to run long distances or clear multiple packs of monsters just to harvest a few nodes.

I can't think of a single game that required me to travel very far to harvest nodes or intentionally designed there to be mobs in my way that re-spawned faster than the nodes do. As I said before most games have minimap node tracking and if you chose to you can run around for hours looting node after node and make money, that's what professions are for right?
  • manestream1manestream1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    well, can see why people look for free ways to make zen, hell its extreamly expensive to buy anything in this game. Its also a full time job trying to grind Adventure Diamonds to transfer to zen.
    Thx but erm no thx, just proved my point that F2P games are (cough were 4x) more expensive than a monthly sub game, more like 10x or higher now. Asking how much zen is I was told
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the explanation. In that one instance case I can see the point. I still don't see who, other than the PWE person whose Xmas bonus is calculated on Zen converted to AD, is hurt if enchantments and professions material are readily available at reasonable AD prices in the AH due to the efforts of players farming real world nodes and not exploiting.

Like you say - this is a standard feature of in-game economies. As much as I am enjoying this very fine online single player adventure and don't mind spending money the point will come when it feels like things have got too cynical. Make your cash selling me nice extras, I've not been shy with my money. Don't go round shutting down legitimate avenues to make AD that are part and parcel of any game and tweaking variables to force zen purchases.

Yes - 'x% Fuse rates' - I'm looking at you and i'm looking at my 8/10 fail rates recently. And then I'm raising my eyebrows and stroking my imaginary beard in a suspicious but thoughtful fashion.

People don't like feeling they've been forced into spending money, they want it to be a positive experience.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cathgar457 wrote: »
    If what the OP is saying is true with regards to node/chest nerf, then maybe it was easier to remove them rather than fix the actual problem.
    Why fix a problem, when a bandaid will do:)

So the fix would be "Ban Hammer Time", since they can't fix the players, no matter what they do.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • mievhmievh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    storminrh wrote: »
    I agree that this was a little extreme. For those who don't know this was basically a 'quest instance' that you could zone into and there are a couple profession nodes pretty early inside. There was a bit of mob clearing but very easy to farm, maybe 3 minutes to loot them all then repeat. This wasn't as extreme as getting a ton of rank 4 enchants in a few minutes like people are saying, you would get mostly rank 2 and 3 enchantments and some residium or other random profession greens that you would expect from a mid 40ish profession node.

I personally don't think that it needed to be removed, finding a nice spot to farm profession nodes has been difficult to say the least. Most games that require you to loot nodes for professions have spawns all over in abundance where people can go farm all day if they chose. The fact that this was an instance still doesn't really bother me, at most they could have added a lockout to instances after you've zoned in a set amount of times to slow things down if they thought it was necessary.

The professions event has already been nurfed to a weird 30 minute thing that leaves gaps in the daily events. The exact wording from the event is "At least one Professions Resource guaranteed! Head out into the world and find yours now.". When I was new to the game and getting interested in professions, leveling up etc, I read that and thought oh wow cool there are daily events where I can go harvest and get extra materials. When I hit max level and wanted to start gathering profession mats I was at a loss for where to go. Do I just run around randomly looking for nodes, what zone should I go to? They don't appear on your map which is usually the case, but in games where that happens the nodes have semi-random spawn points.

After searching for a while you figure out that the nodes always spawn in the same places and don't vary in there type at all for that spawn. It's only natural to think that once people know this they will find a spot they like with multiple spawns relatively close and accessible for them to 'loop' around and farm profession mats, this is no different in any other game accept people in this game visit the same spawn over and over, not by choice but by game design. Is this really an issue to the point that nodes should be removed at the rate they are? The above example had 5 nodes, now only 1 remains. Now people have to go wander around again until they find an area with a decent amount of nodes near by to gather from once again. If I had to guess once this happens they will remove the nodes once more and repeat this process until profession nodes are semi-rare and spread out in such a way efficient farming is not possible. For example having to run long distances or clear multiple packs of monsters just to harvest a few nodes.

I can't think of a single game that required me to travel very far to harvest nodes or intentionally designed there to be mobs in my way that re-spawned faster than the nodes do. As I said before most games have minimap node tracking and if you chose to you can run around for hours looting node after node and make money, that's what professions are for right?
    Thanks for the explanation.

It's very, very sad actually... it seems Cryptic's prioirty is nerfing the player's ability to progress in the game, rather than fixing some issues with the player's actual classes.

Profession resources are already a very rare commodity. Now, it's even more so.

Let's face it, they want us to pay money for booster packs. That is their priority now, in open beta.
    Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Except it's a full-time career trying to "earn" enough AD to exchange for any meaningful amount of Zen. A full-time career for a single parent, no less.

Oh stop with the obvious and logical.

What is truly amazing is the gap between what a subscription model costs and what it buys you in this game.
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mievh wrote: »

Let's face it, they want us to pay money for booster packs. That is their priority now, in open beta.

BINGO !!!

/10 chars
    edited May 2013
    mievh wrote: »

Not going to happen PWE, not going to happen.

The mistake I think they are making is in prices. Once you do the math and realise how much real money stuff is (and I have a job and a life, I don't spend every waking hour grinding AD to turn to Zen, like a good little consumer I buy Zen) you have to think, No way.

But cut the prices by 80% and I wouldn't think twice. But I guess all their accountants and MBA's have done the math and this is the way they think they can maximise short-term profits.
  • antedeluvian75antedeluvian75 Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Simple this isn't farmville, it's D&D, those nodes were also ripe for exploiting, which is what happens. Cryptic has a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of experience and has learned the hard way what works and doesn't work mostly by falling on their faces and then being curbed stomped by their customers. nodes like that can be farmed with that much output and exploited all to hell just don't work.

I saw this coming and so did anyone with any common sense.

Cryptic solution sucks, a dismishing returns/ransack system would have been 100 times better, but hey, if you want to justify their "solutions", be my guest.

..... fanboys.. so cute.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would they reduce Skill Check Nodes? They already nerfed them so they don't drop blue crating items anymore...
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The nodes were not what was causing the 99 stacks, it was a duping exploit so all the White Knight arguments mean nothing. Nodes are being reduced to cause people to pay. There are enough cash sinks in this game without that and they need to stop it. This game should have more nodes not less. Profession mats are hard to get as it is.
  • mievhmievh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not going to happen PWE, not going to happen.

The mistake I think they are making is in prices. Once you do the math and realise how much real money stuff is (and I have a job and a life, I don't spend every waking hour grinding AD to turn to Zen, like a good little consumer I buy Zen) you have to think, No way.

But cut the prices by 80% and I wouldn't think twice. But I guess all their accountants and MBA's have done the math and this is the way they think they can maximise short-term profits.

I agree... it's preposterous...

This post in Reddit details it all:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/1dry0g/neverwinters_f2p_model_what_you_need_to_know/

Read it, you might find something you haven't considered...
    Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    So, is this how this forum works now? Offer any criticism and you're mocked? If you're not called a crying whiner, then you're accused of being an exploiter? Is it seriously that hard to believe that a legit player would be upset about receiving less rewards from questlines? This isn't even an intellectual form of argument, you're just putting words in his mouth. If your posts contain the phrases "fixed that for you" or "in other words", then you should delete it and try again.

The guy is a forum warrior. Ignore him.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nobody nodes the trouble he's seen. Nobody nodes the trauma that has driven that poor whiney exploiter to leaving the game.
  • gongstargongstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    The guy is a forum warrior. Ignore him.

His post has a point while yours does not.
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Nerf or not, what I find stalest in this game is the loot. It is just too much the same, I really have no eagerness looking forward to cool, unique loot. I suppose it's part of the MMO curse of no one can be special. If the game stayed coop, we'd probably had much more varied loot and a lot less Foundry restrictions. Why? Because we would be running our own mini-worlds. Oh well, that is waht ARPG's are for I suppose.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hank41 wrote: »
    That was the response the Administrator left 4 mins after I started this thread. Its a fact that they made those changes to those areas they listed in patch notes. Its a fact the instance in Ice they took out both chest and 4 outa the 5 nodes are gone.

So loot runs that are in EVERY MMO to help players make ingame money....in this game are called exploiters and cheaters. LOL

Thanks for all the support and lack off on this topic, if you don't think this change is gonna hurt the game then your either a cash shop junkie, already rich , already max level or don't give a **** about the professions. You must be the Power Gamers that come and level quickly and move on to the next new game that is soon to be released.

They nerf the amount of chest and nodes in instance quest why? All they needed was to put the nodes on a timer like they did the chest. Sounds like they nerf the amount of them as a punishment that effects every new player to the game from this day forward.

Also they just ruined the professions players. Thanx for that.

Ignore the fanbois, you have a valid point. Those that think that spending hours of time farming is exploiting have no credibility. Since the dawn of RPGs farming for loot and items has been a staple of the game. For the entitled generation of "give it to meh now" people, enjoy spending your cash on things that should be free in game. I do not mind spending my cash on reasonable items but if it gets to the point where it takes cash to do anything at all, a trend which is getting worse and worse in this game, I will leave and so won't many others. Frankly, why put crafting in at all if you are going to make it completely useless and impossible?