test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Muted, again, trying to buy gear...

2»

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    I agree that players should research the games they play, especially mmos, but for whatever reason a lot of them dont.

Basically, all Im trying to say is, instead of getting upset about how players use zone chat then ignoring a potentially otherwise good player/person maybe try educating them then both players are happy instead of both players being mad. I believe that most "spammers" dont want to spam, they just feel they have to because zone is flooded all the time. If multiple people are spamming you can insult, ignore or whatever them all day and it wont fix a thing, give them a chance to use the right chat by simply letting them know one is there for them. After a while the ones that still spam in zone wont be able to claim ignorance and they get what they deserve.

I agree. I think players are just fed up at the moment with little to no forgiveness. :(

Zone chat is an unusable mess. Any messages to try to educate players about the user trade channels would get lost in the shuffle or would likely get reported as spam if you posted it enough for them to notice, meh.

I chose the lesser of two evils and turned off zone chat....and being "forced" into that has irked me a lot.

However I have noticed that there's no list of user chat channels on the official wiki. Somebody should add a page detailing well known player trade and group finding channels. ;)
  • jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. I think players are just fed up at the moment with little to no forgiveness. :(

Zone chat is an unusable mess. Any messages to try to educate players about the user trade channels would get lost in the shuffle or would likely get reported as spam if you posted it enough for them to notice, meh.

I chose the lesser of two evils and turned off zone chat....and being "forced" into that has irked me a lot.

However I have noticed that there's no list of user chat channels on the official wiki. Somebody should add a page detailing well known player trade and group finding channels. ;)

players messages probably would get lost in the clutter, didnt really think about that one. I dont really think players would report a legit message about a trade channel to cut down the zone spam though. Unless their just a toxic player why would they report someone for trying to help the zone chat situation?
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chat moves so fast that the distance between the two posts was prob less than a second. :p

This is due to the other 9000 people trying to buy and sell in zone, but not me.
  • silencebettiesilencebettie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP didn't spam...He said it twice. Is it really bad enough to report it? I can't remember what game it is but all the times you report someone it gets logged and if you report to many people with in an amount of time you get logged out for a day. I think every game needs this. You guys are talking about spammers being bad but so are the people who spam reports! Its an MMO if you really need to talk to people on chat whisper them. If you can't do that cause you just want to bs with people in the city then your not using it right either.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP didn't spam...He said it twice. Is it really bad enough to report it? I can't remember what game it is but all the times you report someone it gets logged and if you report to many people with in an amount of time you get logged out for a day. I think every game needs this. You guys are talking about spammers being bad but so are the people who spam reports! Its an MMO if you really need to talk to people on chat whisper them. If you can't do that cause you just want to bs with people in the city then your not using it right either.

This requires mods to actually review the situation. The reason they have automated systems in place is so they don't have to spend money on people-hours needed to review it. I mean, why pay people to police the community when the people you charge to play the game will already do that?

The issue here is that when they implement something into the game that allows players to grief other players, it will be used for that purpose by some.
  • silencebettiesilencebettie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very true Chai23. Very true.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    The issue here is that when they implement something into the game that allows players to grief other players, it will be used for that purpose by some.

Yes, robust multiplayer games need to start from the assumption that most players are bad actors and will abuse what they can, when they can. All design needs to take this into account (chat muting, kicking just before boss dies, etc.). A lot of the solutions aren't that technically complex, but they do require careful thought based on how players actually interact with the game, rather than how you hope that they do.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP didn't spam...He said it twice. Is it really bad enough to report it?

If a dozen people are 'just posting things twice' then the effect is to effectively and collectively spam flood the chat channel so no one else can use it. If there was just the occasional trade post few people would get annoyed, but it isn't. It is a constant and unremitting flood. If people look at the state of the chat and choose to make it even worse instead of thinking - 'uh oh, that must be really annoying people. I'll wait or just use the AH' - then I'm afraid people will use the blunt force tool they have to hand.

It is not your God-given right to post your trades in the Zone, or if it is then the rest of us have the PWE-given right to deem it annoying and use the tool provided.

Every time you contribute to the collective spamming of the zone chat you run the risk of being banned. If you still choose to participate in the spamming then accept the risk of consequences.
  • aceofgamesaceofgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013