test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Muted, again, trying to buy gear...

aceofgamesaceofgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is the 2nd time I have been muted while trying to find gear in Zone chat because the Auction was down... Was posting a buy chat every time the chat filled up so you couldn't see my chat anymore, and now I not only am completely unable to find people trade with, I can no longer even think to do Dungeon Delves, or communicate with friends... The only way I can play this online game with other players is to communicate with them outside of game, which I cannot even ask my friends or teammates their out of game information, because that would be against the game's policies.

Spamming1_zps2c1c46b2.png

Spamming2_zpse396eec2.png
Post edited by aceofgames on

Comments

• jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Chat moves so fast its possible people accidently clicked your name instead of a spammer? Ive done it a few times not paying much attention.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    Chat moves so fast its possible people accidently clicked your name instead of a spammer? Ive done it a few times not paying much attention.

Some people have been saying that ignores add to the count towards a chat ban as well. I know I was ignoring plenty of people before I heard that. If true it could explain a lot as I doubt many new players would understand that.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am uncertain how fast you were posting or how fast the ban happens. But odds are you either spammed chat a lot at some point or the other spammers saw you as competition.

When they report you they ignore you as well. So a lot of people must have you on ignore now.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I dislike spamming. I understand if people need to reach others for dungeons or whatever, but at the same time, I feel that there are tools for that in place, like the AH and stuff. People who want to trade items are part though...they are kind of screwed without using zone.

I have noticed a militant group who likes to report anyone trying to trade at all because to them, trade is spam, but them talking nonsense about whatever is not spam so it's a double standard. Either everyone has to use zone, or no one can use it. Just be respectful. Don't double/triple post, report gold spammers as spam and just ignore people who abuse the rules.

I like what Guild Wars did. Typing WTB or WTS or VK VKF automatically puts your post into the trade channel.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
    edited May 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Some people have been saying that ignores add to the count towards a chat ban as well. I know I was ignoring plenty of people before I heard that. If true it could explain a lot as I doubt many new players would understand that.

I think its only like 20 ignores and you get chat banned. Could be wrong but Im pretty sure ive seen that number on the forums multiple times as a ban.
  • draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    This happens because there are FAR TOO many Neverwinter players without MMO etiquette.

An MMO's region/OT channels aren't meant to be swamped with trade/looking for messages. Dedicated /trade and /looking for group channels exist... it's high time players make use of them.

I've detuned zone chat in several game regions already because I, for one, am tired of seeing my chat screen scrolling by at a brisk pace.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Re-posting every time your message moves off screen is the definition of spamming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    draemorin wrote: »
    This happens because there are FAR TOO many Neverwinter players without MMO etiquette.

An MMO's region/OT channels aren't meant to be swamped with trade/looking for messages. Dedicated /trade and /looking for group channels exist... it's high time players make use of them.

I've detuned zone chat in several game regions already because I, for one, am tired of seeing my chat screen scrolling by at a brisk pace.

I actually misread this post....I agree with it...sry..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
    edited May 2013
    draemorin wrote: »

Cryptic put in a trade chat?
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think those chats are photoshoped, there isn't a flood of one person spamming gold spam six times. ;)

I've done this by accident once or twice. If i don't scroll up, the chat keeps moving, and i always try to get those gold spammers, but i know for a fact i accidentally clicked the wrong name. No confirmation box for reporting them makes it too easy to do too. A simple "are you sure you want to report <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?" would suffice. There should also be a chat delay system, or something, to keep people from doing that several messages right after each other. I see people do three posts in a row for LFG or buying and selling, usually don't report them unless they are really bad.

I wasn't aware ignoring adds to it, but if people are being hateful bigots in chat, i'll ignore them, and not feel bad.
  • aceofgamesaceofgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zone is not for trading. Try using the Trade channel.

There's no Trade channel. And if there is, how about telling us how to use it, instead of just bringing it up as if everyone already knows about it?
    edited May 2013
    aceofgames wrote: »
    There's no Trade channel. And if there is, how about telling us how to use it, instead of just bringing it up as if everyone already knows about it?

Theres not a trade chat, at least not one put in the game by Cryptic. Pretty sure hes talking about a user made one that 90% of the players probably dont know about because, again, its not been put there by Cryptic.
  • hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Trade is used by STO and other PW games. Try using NWOTrade or even get people to create a new one
  • lareolanlareolan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You were putting your sales pitch on ZONE chat as soon as your old message scrolled off screen? That's the definition of spamming, not to mention that so many people spam the wrong channel for this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The MINIMUM acceptable advertising interval is once every 180 seconds (that's 3 minutes). If your message appears more than that, you were spamming and got muted with cause. Case closed.
  • stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    There are two trade channels - one is just /trade and the other is /NWOTrade.

However /trade is across all PWE games.
  • thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    Yea unfortunately the trade channel in existence isn't used at all, mostly because people don't know about it. Hopefully in time this will get organized as people realize this.
  • thazrielthazriel Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a trade channel, in fact theres even a topic for it on the forums... It's amazing people can find thier way here to complain but selectively ignore "useful" topics...
    astounding...

reguardless of if it was put there by cryptic or not... saying cryptic didnt make it is just a lame attempt to justify continued obnoxious behaviour... this topic is full of sniveling and "but i dont want to"
    you are the people that need the "caution! contents may be hot" on a hot cup of coffee... grow up.
    act your age, not your shoe size
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

By this reasoning, zone is also not for looking for a group. There's a queue system and a LFG channel(I think).
    It's also not for conversations about political or religious matters, heck, it's not even for conversations.
    Heaven forbid people should ask the same questions over and over and over again in zone. (Different people, same question)

So. Zone isn't for selling or trading items.
    Zone isn't for talking.
    Zone isn't for looking for teams.
    Zone isn't for asking questions and seeking answers.

....what is Zone for again? Might as well just delete the channel. Owait. We can all already do that. Simply UNCHECK ZONE CHAT.

****, I oughtta be paid for this wisdom.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thazriel wrote: »
    you are the people that need the "caution! contents may be hot" on a hot cup of coffee... grow up.

Unless you're European, then go right ahead! ;) (My shoe size is forty-four and I still have three years until then!)

As for the topic, well, it's tricky, no matter how you look at it. People do report for pretty much anything in the Zone chat, at least if the claims can be believed (it's still super busy, so not everyone gets muted!), but plenty of the "I was chat banned unfairly!" statements are directly contradicted by the poster's own admission (re-posting stuff as soon as it scrolls off your screen is spamming -- on Dragon, that would be like every ten seconds).

The easiest solution would be to have an official trade channel, though the unofficial one should work in the meantime, but it requires people's willingness to actually use it. Refusing to and then getting irritated that others don't want trade offers to flood the Zone chat doesn't really cut it, if you think about it. Then again, if you spammed in there, the result would probably be the same.

I still feel that the best compromise would be if chat bans only applied to the channel of communication where most of the ignores were accumulated, and if there was a limit for how many times a player/account can spam-report others in a specific time frame (maybe one report every two minutes would contribute to a chat ban, and in all other cases it would ignore the player only locally, without telling the player which was the case).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • drizttydriztty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    try joining NW Dragon Trade channel on Dragon shard, hopefully ppl will start posting wts/wtb in there rather than the zone chat which should be left for new players to ask questions in. would it be too difficult to get a trade chat set up on the other shards by a few of the guild leaders maybe ?
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think anyone posting the same item/message more than once every 15 minutes is spam. Nevertheless I only report gold spammers and even have chat completely turned off on some of my toons. If you're posting at a rate that is getting you banned stop doing it. You can't fault a system in where a large enough amount of players deem you spam.
    edited May 2013
    There is a trade channel, in fact theres even a topic for it on the forums... It's amazing people can find thier way here to complain but selectively ignore "useful" topics...
    astounding...

reguardless of if it was put there by cryptic or not... saying cryptic didnt make it is just a lame attempt to justify continued obnoxious behaviour... this topic is full of sniveling and "but i dont want to"

Saying Cryptic didnt put it there isnt a lame attempt at anything, its just a fact. Because of that fact most people dont know about any chat but the zone ones because most people dont come to the forums. Because most people dont know about this trade chat, next time someone "spams" maybe you should politely tell them in zone chat about the trade chat so people can sell stuff there. If enough people do this maybe the zone chat will clear up. Or keep insulting people, either way is fine with me.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    Saying Cryptic didnt put it there isnt a lame attempt at anything, its just a fact. Because of that fact most people dont know about any chat but the zone ones because most people dont come to the forums. Because most people dont know about this trade chat, next time someone "spams" maybe you should politely tell them in zone chat about the trade chat so people can sell stuff there. If enough people do this maybe the zone chat will clear up. Or keep insulting people, either way is fine with me.

No offense but I remember the days when I looked things up for the MMO's I played which involved actually going to websites and checking how much certain items go for and where it would be best to sell such items.

I remember guides being written not only on what items were sought after but which location players should spam for certain items. There was actually a player driven edict that weapons were traded in one zone, armor in a different location and potions in another. I actually think it's far better to have player driven chat channels than company driven ones but of course in order to know about these channels you would have to ask or do some research into them.

The thing I don't understand is why people don't spend some time looking into them after they get muted rather than continuing to spam the zone chat.

But that's me as a player stating my opinion as a player. I expect trade channels will take off sooner or later as players get tired of being muted. I don't condone the action of reporting trade spam as actual spam but in all honesty a little research goes a long way. ;)
  • aceofgamesaceofgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    astounding...

I have yet to see a Trade channel in game. If it does exist, instead of just saying "it exists," how about being HELPFUL, and telling how to access it? Also, if there is indeed a forum post about this magical Trade Chat everyone speaks of, how about posting a LINK to it, instead of just mentioning it?

I could just as easily say Dragons exist and plug my ears as you complain about how absurd that is, but that would just make us both look dumb, wouldn't it?
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I expect trade channels will take off sooner or later as players get tired of being muted. I don't condone the action of reporting trade spam as actual spam but in all honesty a little research goes a long way. ;)

It would help if Cryptic issued strict guidelines then. You can't on the one hand implement a community driven system and then 'wish' it worked in a certain way. Be clear. Tell players how many lines a minute can be considered spam. Tell players to use the named player-created channels for trade and LFG. Tell players ZC is not for infantile attention-seeking and offensive speak. Tell players that if they consistently mark people as spamming when they didn't according to your clear definition they will be punished.

As it is ZC is nothing more than the Trade Spam channel and players have only two options:

Abandon the channel to the traders or fight back with the single crude tool you've given us.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have yet to see a Trade channel in game. If it does exist, instead of just saying "it exists," how about being HELPFUL, and telling how to access it?

This may help:

morbic's Guide to Custom Channel Creation/Joining, and a List
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only "official" cryptic channel is Zone. However Players can create a Trade channel of their own such as oh say NW_Trade, and have all traders who are aware of it join it to trade. The name is up to the creator of course.
    @Powerblast in game
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have yet to see a Trade channel in game. If it does exist, instead of just saying "it exists," how about being HELPFUL, and telling how to access it? Also, if there is indeed a forum post about this magical Trade Chat everyone speaks of, how about posting a LINK to it, instead of just mentioning it?

I could just as easily say Dragons exist and plug my ears as you complain about how absurd that is, but that would just make us both look dumb, wouldn't it?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?301322-Unofficial-Official-Trade-Channels-for-Dragon-Mindflayer-Beholder

There you go.
    edited May 2013
    No offense but I remember the days when I looked things up for the MMO's I played which involved actually going to websites and checking how much certain items go for and where it would be best to sell such items.

I remember guides being written not only on what items were sought after but which location players should spam for certain items. There was actually a player driven edict that weapons were traded in one zone, armor in a different location and potions in another. I actually think it's far better to have player driven chat channels than company driven ones but of course in order to know about these channels you would have to ask or do some research into them.

The thing I don't understand is why people don't spend some time looking into them after they get muted rather than continuing to spam the zone chat.

But that's me as a player stating my opinion as a player. I expect trade channels will take off sooner or later as players get tired of being muted. I don't condone the action of reporting trade spam as actual spam but in all honesty a little research goes a long way. ;)

I agree that players should research the games they play, especially mmos, but for whatever reason a lot of them dont.

Basically, all Im trying to say is, instead of getting upset about how players use zone chat then ignoring a potentially otherwise good player/person maybe try educating them then both players are happy instead of both players being mad. I believe that most "spammers" dont want to spam, they just feel they have to because zone is flooded all the time. If multiple people are spamming you can insult, ignore or whatever them all day and it wont fix a thing, give them a chance to use the right chat by simply letting them know one is there for them. After a while the ones that still spam in zone wont be able to claim ignorance and they get what they deserve.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That was before MMOs added quest helpers because reading what the quest says was too hard.

imivo wrote: »

"MBTrade"

Really? I think it's safe to say that no one would find those channels accidentally.