test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Im colour blind have never had so much trouble with this staying out of red

tubbyadamtubbyadam Member Posts: 58
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Honestly they have not thought about people like myself I really want there to be a answer to this I honestly can not see the red circles in some dungeons because the lighting is just so bad my tank friend has to tell me to get in and out and that's ridiculous. I know its a bit of a moan I love the game its great and im good at it and find most dungeons ok but this dungeon Hrimnir is impossible to kill for me as I can not see any red circle at all. ive tried adjusting graphics up and down nothing works please tell me there are other people out there having this issue I know im not the only colour blind dude. anyway its really a post so hopefully they do something about it. maybe??

This was Added for a moderator who said the game was developed for colour blindness. It definitely wasn't lol.
I honestly can say actually every red circle in the game is too feint and can blend very well with the flooring but. it actually becomes invisible in most parts of the ice peak dungeon. I honestly can say that the game was definitely not designed around colour blindness dude because I am. The circles are not and have never been definitive for me. someone said castle never boss 3 as well I havnt actually got that far but 10k gear score im close to trying to find out lol.
Post edited by tubbyadam on

Comments

• arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Many games have colorblind mode as an option (Team Fortress 2 comes to mind). Neverwinter needs one, too.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • kingnewbskingnewbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hear, hear. It's easy to forget these things, but that's no excuse. Colorblind-friendly options should be standard in every game / app / GUI.
    [Beholder] - The Crimson Queen - Trickster Rogue
  • tubbyadamtubbyadam Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    im so glad people agree im not hateing honestly I just am the reason my groups is failing on one boss. my friend who is not colour blind finds it even hard. this is an issue needs to be addressed
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its not even just hard for colour blind people. Sometimes I myself find them hard to spot, mostly in foundry areas where it almost seems like the authors try to hide the red areas with blinding white grounds etc to try and make the battles harder.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No it doesn't.

Your one out of hundreds and hundreds of thousands. If that is even the case. Because you see, if you suffer from true color blindness you would be referring a specific part of the spectrum that you have acute failure of.

If you actually do suffer from an acute failure of a specific tint, there are solutions for ...between keyboard to chair..... and a specific monitor, .... for any specific developer to bother.

Not to mention you would and should have bigger problems to deal with than a video game.

Get a monitor for your specific condition, they ARE sold.
    edited May 2013
    lol what a wanker I suppose you get people like this on forums haha. yea cheers mate ill go buy a monitor there are also hundreds of games with colour blind mode. only asked for it mate lol and see if people have the same problem. Wankers of life seriously I just think to myself sometimes what people get from trying to flame people or troll. your comment is bollocks so many people are having problem with the lighter ground I just find it a little bit worse. Seriously dude are you some stupid fat **** sitting at your pc with no family kids? or are you a complete wanker that was bullied at school help me I want to understand <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like you :D
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could this be addressed by changing the brightness or contrast option on the monitor? What about by placing a simple tinted film over the screen?

What it really comes down to is how much would it cost for the devs to implement something like this, versus how much profit would it return. I hate to say it, but it just comes down to cost vs benefit.

OTOH, I wonder how hard it would be to simply allow us to change the color of the ground markers via a simple slider or console command...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • w0nder1337w0nder1337 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    OTOH, I wonder how hard it would be to simply allow us to change the color of the ground markers via a simple slider or console command...

It would cost 5 min of devs time... i hope they ll add it
  • ali495ali495 Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Yes, they need a colorblind option. It's obvious, they'll get to it. I imagine it's a pain in the ***, but you can kinda see why it wasn't top priority, just doesn't hurt as many people. Hopefully it won't take long this to be solved for you and others.

Don't worry about the guy was trolling you. I hope he was trolling and not that much of a ****.
    When the cold of winter comes starless night will cover day,
    In the veiling of the sun we will walk in bitter rain.
    But in dreams I can hear your name,
    And in dreams we will meet again.

<3
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ali495 wrote: »
    Yes, they need a colorblind option. It's obvious, they'll get to it. I imagine it's a pain in the ***, but you can kinda see why it wasn't top priority, just doesn't hurt as many people. Hopefully it won't take long this to be solved for you and others.

Don't worry about the guy was trolling you. I hope he was trolling and not that much of a ****.

To be perfectly frank, a lot of people come onto forums claiming to be things they aren't - be it a profession, or even having some condition. Please understand, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but the Internet is not exactly known for its truthfulness.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be perfectly frank, a lot of people come onto forums claiming to be things they aren't - be it a profession, or even having some condition. Please understand, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but the Internet is not exactly known for its truthfulness.

That's true to a point, but still. Why would anyone come to the forum claiming to be colorblind and ask for options for colorblind people unless they were actually colorblind. What purpose would a troll have for doing such a thing? Improving the game?
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited May 2013

Even if this guy isn't colorblind, I'm sure there's other people who are colorblind having an issue. Point still stands; that red may be rather hard for people to see. We need another option. (And that point can be taken without a guy walking in and accusing the OP. It's not like he's gathering funds for his chemo. He just wants to be able to see in game easier.)

<3
    edited May 2013
    Colour blind is really not all what people clearly asume i dont vet special treatment i dont know any different and my life and others with this problem live the same way you lot do its so confusing why anyone would lie about it lol i mean i cant be a bomb desposal dude but thats granted lol. All i asked is for a way i can change the colour yellow would be better for me as the game is dark and that is light and maybe black when its a boss on a weirdly lit floor.
  • lethizorlethizor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of course he's being angry, what the hell reaction did you expect? You just a) questioned the existence of his disability when there was no evidence present suggesting it's even a troll... b) suggested he get a new monitor instead of perfectly reasonable accommodations being made for this disability, and c) you were rude and combative for no reason.

As for the vocabulary, he's probably from AUS or UK, where that phrasing is very common and the c word is just generally not considered AS horribly offensive as it is here in the US.

I mean it's the equivalent of telling some guy that wants to go to a basketball game and is in a wheelchair and upset because they don't have ramps "I doubt you're even in a wheelchair, they don't need to have ramps, go hire someone to carry you up the steps so you can go". - Or someone with poor vision reading books "I doubt your vision is even that bad, they don't need to have books in braille or audiobooks, just hire someone to read it out loud to you!".

I mean the OP is not asking for unreasonable accommodations in this situation, many games do have colorblind mode and even being given the power to change what you see on your screen instead of red circles would do the trick. Even EQ1 back in the day allowed you to import your own files for what the target rings would look like... sheesh.
    edited May 2013
    lethizor wrote: »
    Of course he's being angry, what the hell reaction did you expect? You just a) questioned the existence of his disability when there was no evidence present suggesting it's even a troll... b) suggested he get a new monitor instead of perfectly reasonable accommodations being made for this disability, and c) you were rude and combative for no reason.

As for the vocabulary, he's probably from AUS or UK, where that phrasing is very common and the c word is just generally not considered AS horribly offensive as it is here in the US.

I mean it's the equivalent of telling some guy that wants to go to a basketball game and is in a wheelchair and upset because they don't have ramps "I doubt you're even in a wheelchair, they don't need to have ramps, go hire someone to carry you up the steps so you can go". - Or someone with poor vision reading books "I doubt your vision is even that bad, they don't need to have books in braille or audiobooks, just hire someone to read it out loud to you!".

I mean the OP is not asking for unreasonable accommodations in this situation, many games do have colorblind mode and even being given the power to change what you see on your screen instead of red circles would do the trick. Even EQ1 back in the day allowed you to import your own files for what the target rings would look like... sheesh.

Yes im from uk this dude is smart and our language can be bad from some of us i do apologise to people its not directed to but seriously the understanding and time in your post is ****ing brilliant and clearly shut some people up thanks bud. The hole reason this come about was doing a dungeon. Delv smashing the damage great group then it got to the end boss.... he is on the lightest shiney floor and one shots me so basically doing the hole dungeon was pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as we had a weak wizz and me who couldnt see **** i mean my mate put me on kill archer duty stay away from boss lol!! **** i was mad that i couldnt peform lol
    edited May 2013
    lethizor summed it up nicely. +1

<3
  • kaninchenkaninchen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just chiming in that I'm not color blind but absolutely support this option. It should definitely be put into the game before it launches, it gets good press and helps people enjoy their game better.
  • demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll +1 a colorblind option.
    I don't need it. But what could it hurt to throw in an option to change the color of the hostile AOEs?
  • tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tubbyadam wrote: »
    Honestly they have not thought about people like myself I really want there to be a answer to this I honestly can not see the red circles in some dungeons because the lighting is just so bad my tank friend has to tell me to get in and out and that's ridiculous. I know its a bit of a moan I love the game its great and im good at it and find most dungeons ok but this dungeon Hrimnir is impossible to kill for me as I can not see any red circle at all. ive tried adjusting graphics up and down nothing works please tell me there are other people out there having this issue I know im not the only colour blind dude. anyway its really a post so hopefully they do something about it. maybe??

Just because you can't tell if the circle is red or green, doesn't mean you should stand in it. FAIL
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The way the circles distort on see through ground, like the icy ground in the dungeon the OP mentioned- does indeed make it harder to see it- though that's a separate issue from the colour itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    The way the circles distort on see through ground, like the icy ground in the dungeon the OP mentioned- does indeed make it harder to see it- though that's a separate issue from the colour itself.

this, i agree with
  • lethizorlethizor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like how he should already have a monitor appropriate to colorblindness. Because everyone can afford to buy a monitor for colorblindness and insurance pays for it if you can't, right? OH WAIT.

Your reaction was ****ty in the first place, and you can try to justify your ****ty reaction all you want, but it doesn't hold water any better then any of your 'arguments' as to why reasonable accommodation to a fairly common disability shouldn't be made, when it is made in many other games in some form.

I personally know several gamers who are colorblind, and as specified before, people are red/green colorblind more then anything - including a co-worker of mine, and 2 friends I met through gaming.

To the guy who said standing in any circle is fail, the red circle thing is a pain in the *** specifically because for them the color red can blend into the floor on some encounters. So either the floor needs to be vastly different from red (which it isn't, it's often a red-brown, and the difference to a colorblind person is negligible), if we expect them to judge where to go by the 'difference' of non-color - or we could simply fix it so the color is adjustable and they can make it blue or something by choice.

The fact that this is even being debated is silly, is it really going to kill everyone for us to have a color option for colorblind people? It really bothers someone to have a request for reasonable accommodations?
    edited May 2013
    or we could simply fix it so the color is adjustable and they can make it blue or something by choice.

While the rest of your post is just a immature rant, this was a good suggestion.
  • meldrrynmeldrryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 for a colorblind option or an other visual effect for the circle (something black and white maybe)
  • t0lkien1t0lkien1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking as someone who works in the industry, you are not only being strangely unpleasant about this. It is standard practice to design visuals to take all the varying degrees and types of colourblindness into account. This affects not only colour tagging, but the graphic design of elements (so that if the colour isn't easily distinguished, line work etc. can be). If NWO has overlooked it, it's a pretty bad oversight on behalf of the Art leads.

An easy fix is to call out the target circles with lined patterns or outlines that anyone can see. That may not be what they want to do, and there are other solutions, but it would work and wouldn't take long to implement.

By the way, designers also carefully minimize the effect of motion sickness when designing the game camera and how it moves. We have had people on staff who suffered from motion sickness checking builds regularly and offering input on how the effect could be reduced.

Generally developers are well aware of all these issues - not just colourblindness - and they are considered in overall design elements.
  • melanie2781melanie2781 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The key difference between what is being requested here is that none of these accommodations are controlled by simple programming on the part the developers, while a colorblind mode would be within their ability to provide within the scope of the game itself. This is similar to providing closed captioning on television, and not at all comparable to 'special desks' or other accommodation.

Exactly - you seem to be the only one arguing who knows what they're talking about. I mean really, it's not that big of a deal and for people who know their job, not that big of a fix in the game. I don't think asking for a colorblind mode option is asking for too large of an accommodation in the game. And like someone else said, who cares if he's really colorblind or not - it's a way to improve the game and isn't that why we're supposed to be playing beta?
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm I have had "difficulties" seeing some things in Cryptic games, the red is not one of them, but I think I should add some suggestions here.

@Devs: please add a custom color option to all "non-natural" screen content ( that would include, the red area marks from an inbound attack, the sparkle of the to next mission trail, the sparkle of interacts, the glow-hue on loot )

specifically I'm photosensitive, I actually play with a monitor that doesn't blind me, and often have my Gama turned low, so I can see the items/things, but... well in CO, another cryptic game, I simply can't see the loot drops 75% of the time ( the white light ) to collect non-green/blue/purple lot there I actually have to walk around the area the hostile died at, and pan camera a lot, just to find some shadow that's "missing" when the camera pans.

I can find the trails and interacts easier in NW, simply because there is the occasional color sparkle also, but often I must pause or walk slow, in order not to lose the trail, or skip a interact that was sparkling with just white, while I had it on screen. (for me I would probably edit the trails/interacts/white-loot to be a more reddish hue, so I could still be able to tell Green/blue/purple loot as different glows, from the modified white.

before any "flames" I already have my monitor set to be a reasonable setting for most applications, and even viewing images online, and if I tried to edit the settings to be even darker, many things would look bad/fake, and ruin the immersion. ( also I have tried just editing the way my graphic card renders JUST CO, but found that I simply can't get the white in most cases to be a different enough value, to see the white loot in that game... still happy with it, and also got lifer there even knowing I can't see white loot most the time, I'm simply happy when I thought there was no loot, and hear the "loot picked up" sound trigger, because I accidentally walked over it )
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    tubbyadam wrote: »

well, some people are system blind, but there are worst, that are social blind .... what can I say
  • evileyecurseevileyecurse Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I am red-green color blind and yes I really find it hard to see those red circles at the last part of the Frozen heart dungeon and on the 3rd boss of Castle Never. The issue comes from the fact that when you mix red with a blue floor, the results for some reason is a faint green color which is pretty hard to see given that the powder blue color is quite bright.
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Majority of males suffer from some kind of colorblindness. Hope they find a solution for you.