test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you have a problem with the current community policing? (24h Mute)

Comments

• Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    I don't think it's people who are selling in zone that are getting reported.

It's not getting a 24hr mute for:
    [Zone] Queue: WTT [Sinister Shade's Armor] for Swashbuckling Armor

People are getting reported for:

Ya know? It's pretty easy to pick that out of a zone chat, usually because it scrolled off what you were trying to read.

I think there's some frustration because each 'report' against you doesn't seem to go away until you're muted for a day. There doesn't appear to be a 'cooldown'. So someone can have done what I did above and gotten, say, 9 reports. Then the next day they do something especially obnoxious and a single person reports them, making it 10. So suddenly, out of the blue (to them) they get a 24 hour mute. And some people flip the hell out over this.

What is the cause of the spam? LFG spam is because of the broken queue system- or at least a big contributor of it. So why should people be punished because the system fails to function properly? Just because of someone being ultra sensitive or trolling?
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone else get the feeling the people who are most upset about this are people who don't have the ability to chat outside the game? Like...they don't have friends or something?
    Considering I've spent the last week + in solitude working on a Foundry project, no. I just don't like it on principle.

Well ya got me there. :D

4char-forever-alone-guy-high-resolution.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well ya got me there. :D

4char-forever-alone-guy-high-resolution.png

I'm much too old to care about 'friends" lol. But of course I expected you to completely miss the point again.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    But by ignoring, you did contribute to the total "demerits" that lead to a chat ban. You in effect, voted for his/her silencing ingame. I'll say this again, as I've said it in other threads.

My understanding is that the 'demerits' only accumulate from 'Report Spam', not 'Ignore'. If you've an official post outlining how this system works I'd appreciate a link to it.

If it does, I feel even better. If you send a bunch of private messages to someone in game full of insults you should get a demerit, so the system is working as it should.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm much too old to care about 'friends" lol. But of course I expected you to completely miss the point again.

That's...sad. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because that was the point I was making: People with no friends are most affected by this...and there might be a reason they don't have friends...because people want them muted.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My understanding is that the 'demerits' only accumulate from 'Report Spam', not 'Ignore'. If you've an official post outlining how this system works I'd appreciate a link to it.

If it does, I feel even better. If you send a bunch of private messages to someone in game full of insults you should get a demerit, so the system is working as it should.

It's in here somewhere. YOU dig it out. http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php?searchid=31807221

Just...ignore the posts by lucyinspacewithdiamonds. Known forum and ingame troll.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's...sad. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because that was the point I was making: People with no friends are most affected by this...and there might be a reason they don't have friends...because people want them muted.

Considering ~70% of this community think the system is a good idea, there's good reason for that. :D

It's not sad, I prefer to stay away from pretentious, mindless sheep. ;)
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can confirm this. I honestly don't have the motivation to dig it out. But its been a well accepted fact in CO. No one even bothers to argue it anymore. So Mr happy face speaks the truth.

The real problem isn't the demerits, it is that they do not expire. So 19 ignores two years ago lurk with you forever. With one recent innocent ignore pushing you into mute status. Its not much of a problem here and now, but given enough time everyone here will eventually start to feel it.

I know very few folks in CO, good, reasonable, friendly people. Who have not eventually had a ban at some point.

That said, I still would rather see this system in place then not have it. Yes it needs tweeks. Fixing, in fact. No argument there. But in other places the trolls literally run chat. I made the mistake of playing AoC once. Suffer through one of their "Chat resets or DECAP!!" spam fests and you'll welcome more moderation.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Considering ~70% of this community think the system is a good idea, there's good reason for that. :D

Once again 70% of the community does not think it is a good idea. The FEW people who have responded to this post on a forum that is a small representation of the player base.

Until the broken queue system is fixed and an official TRADE channel is created, these things are going to be in zone chat. To silence someone for activities that are part of the game play is a ****** move by the ones doing it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yeah... a lot of making sense now...except for the reason you're spending so much time in this thread with all the sheep.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Once again 70% of the community does not think it is a good idea. The FEW people who have responded to this post on a forum that is a small representation of the player base.

Until the broken queue system is fixed and an official TRADE channel is created, these things are going to be in zone chat. To silence someone for activities that are part of the game play is a ****** move by the ones doing it.

That is not part of the "activities that are part of the game play".
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy, sockmunky: Thanks for the info. I assumed if someone could be muted for being ignored I have hit that threshold several times by now :) My fault for making assumptions!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    the trolls literally run chat. I made the mistake of playing AoC once. Suffer through one of their "Chat resets or DECAP!!" spam fests and you'll welcome more moderation.

So AoC has no ignore function? I don't understand how a "group of trolls" runs chat when you can ignore them and therefore render their furious typing useless. I'm...95% certain that all MMO's that have come out in the past decade have an ignore feature. Said feature in no way, shape, or form has anything to do with chat banning. Fairly certain those games that have a report spam feature also do not tie it with a chat ban function. CRYPTIC is the ONLY gaming company that does. And people that play their games have been on their butts for YEARS about it. I, for one, would be perfectly understanding if they took chat down in all three games to overhaul the system, especially if they made some kind of announcement ingame and on forums to that effect.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... a lot of making sense now...except for the reason you're spending so much time in this thread with all the sheep.

FISHNonConformist3.jpg

Don't want the bleating drowning out different opinions. If I can voice my dissent on fascist style policing in a video game I play, I will. Plenty enough of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> IRL, nice to have an outlet to escape it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy, sockmunky: Thanks for the info. I assumed if someone could be muted for being ignored I have hit that threshold several times by now :) My fault for making assumptions!

Nah, all good, mate.

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    So AoC has no ignore function? I don't understand how a "group of trolls" runs chat when you can ignore them and therefore render their furious typing useless.

The problem is they do it in packs. And over there chat has the ability to change font size and color as well as run macros. So when you get 10 to 20 people spamming in massive black font. it completely resets and wipes out chat. pages and pages of chat can pass in seconds. Its hard to ignore them all. And when you do they just log over to other characters and do it again.

Chat over there is character restricted. So a person with 20 alts would need to have each and everyone ignored separately. As a bonus your ignore list has a cap of about 100 users before it fills up and you cant ignore anymore.

Probably not the worst system ive seen, but close to it. Ignore is laughable at best.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thinking about it, the 'ignore' demerit is horrible. If you haven't gotten a message from that person via whisper, or aren't in the same zone chat with them, that shouldn't work. At least if you don't right click on the chat anyway. If you can /ignore @characterHandle that's a bit *too* exploitable. That's the first instance I can see where it's an unreasonable implementation.

From a lot of what I can read about this there's no official statement on this system. Operates a bit like the cop's and their non-existant quotas from the look of it.

Regardless, looks like it's here to stay. Glad I don't eat, sleep, live and breath online games or a 24 hour chat ban might bother me.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The devs have stated in their other Cryptic-engine-based games, that the 'Report Spam' feature is meant to be used for real money traders only. People soon caught on that it's basically an insta-silence and that there's no repercussions for using it incorrectly, so it became the trolls' go-to tool for griefing. As long as a behavior is not punished, it is basically being encouraged. To this end, the only meaningful advice I can offer is to just shut off zone chat and go about your business.

Hopefully the devs actually catch onto this problem, and take action...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    healsareophealsareop Member Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get rid of this trashy report spam silencing system. People are getting blocked for no reason 60% of the time, yes 60%. It doesn't help as much as it causes more problems. People who sell items on zone chat I'm fine with, if they do it once. Gold spammers, and spammers are another thing. But seriously, are people getting chat blocked for spamming most of the time, or is it for saying 1 or 2 things in under a minute. Just make a 10 second timing where you have to wait those 10 seconds after 1 zone chat, the character limit is high enough.
  • Options
    golbleengolbleen Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's clear just from a brief look in the thread that not everyone agrees what acceptable behavior is. No one ever will; really.

There's an ignore feature in the game. I, the player, can police on my own who I do or don't want to hear according to my own values with this feature - other players can do the same. There is merit to a system to allow players to police each other for particularly egrerious issues, I think, but if it has unintended, abusable side-effects, then those need to be thoroughly culled from the system before it's released, and if doing that is too costly, then it shouldn't be released at all.

Given the, put politely, 'stability' of other systems in the game, it will be a long, long time before something as simple as the chat system's auto-mute feature would be free from abuse. Such a system isn't needed anyway, to boot; you can just ignore anyone filling chat with content you don't want to see.

That's me speaking from a program design perspective anyway.

From a personal perspective, I wonder why the hell the main community focus of a report-auto-mute feature is against people who spam slightly-annoying WTS and WTT messages and not, say, serious issues like harassment and hate speech (which, for some reason, have to be reviewed and judged by a nonexistent CS rep before any action gets taken.) That's fairly distant from the main discussion of whether the system should exist in the first place, though.
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    healsareop wrote: »
    Get rid of this trashy report spam silencing system. People are getting blocked for no reason 60% of the time, yes 60%. It doesn't help as much as it causes more problems. People who sell items on zone chat I'm fine with, if they do it once. Gold spammers, and spammers are another thing. But seriously, are people getting chat blocked for spamming most of the time, or is it for saying 1 or 2 things in under a minute. Just make a 10 second timing where you have to wait those 10 seconds after 1 zone chat, the character limit is high enough.
    I'd really love to see you prove the number is 60% because we both know you're talking out of your *** here
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    healsareop wrote: »
    Get rid of this trashy report spam silencing system. People are getting blocked for no reason 60% of the time, yes 60%.

k2eEh.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry, the way he phrased it made me think of this too and I had to laugh again

RHFIYPTV43ICN3ONZYVT6CUIG7QFOOPX.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I agree with you 100%, and think you may have mistaken my post out of context. :)
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Game needs a separate auction zone, like a market building or something - where only inside that area will trade channel function. Spam auctions anywhere else, accept your 24hr silence like a boss.

Then PW/Cryptic needs to stop implementing systems that can be used to grief others. Checks and balances. Make it so the same account can only flag the same other account for spam once.
  • Options
    golbleengolbleen Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'm sorry, the way he phrased it made me think of this too and i had to laugh again

rhfiyptv43icn3onzyvt6cuig7qfoopx.jpg

wtt 40 cakes pst
    wtt 40 cakes pst
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like it.

I've been playing cryptic games since they've all been in beta. I've no problems with the system at all.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013

LOL...wow...according to the poll, 70% think the system IS a good idea.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah this great and unbiased poll.
    If the system stays the spam will continue.

People will still be selling and looking for group.

Gold spammers will mega flood pretty much every 2 minutes , I am still getting in-game spam mails from them , although people can't send an mail when silenced.People can't play with friends and group with people.Gold spammers just make another account and spam the city in 2 minutes again.

You "dear people" that advocate that the system is fine need to understand that unless SOMETHING is done the spam will continue no matter how many people you HATE REPORT OR HOW MANY BIASED POLLS YOU MAKE.

317gpsi.jpg

You want a spam free zone?Start doing suggestions like we are here http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?292362-Chat-Banned-Proof-this-system-sucks/page56 .
    Suggestions like implementation of other channels or adding a buffer or whatever you might contribute.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    yeah this great and unbiased poll.
    If the system stays the spam will continue.

People will still be selling and looking for group.

Gold spammers will mega flood pretty much every 2 minutes , I am still getting in-game spam mails from them , although I people can't send an mail when silenced.People can't play with friends and group with people.Gold spammers just make another account and spam the city in 2 minutes again.

You "dear people" that advocate that the system is fine need to understand that unless SOMETHING is done the spam will continue no matter how many people you HATE REPORT OR HOW MANY BIASED POLLS YOU MAKE.

317gpsi.jpg

Looks like you enjoy it to me? Why else would you take time to post a screenshot of your exaggerated chat list taking up the entire side of a screen? How about less sensationalism and more turning off zone chat if you are so sensitive?