What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HOW TO HAVE FUN AS A > Guardian Fighter < IN PVP

gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
---

Intro notes

With the appropriate gear and build, GF's have:

a) The best consistent burst damage in the game.
b) In combat mobility that can barely be rivaled by a CW or GWF.
c) And of course, the best defensive tool in the game.

The following series of videos will undoubtedly reaffirm these 3 points.

Behold the true power of Gaurdian Fighters...
WWW.TWITCH.TV/GCTRL

Server: Dragon

Please leave questions/comments and I will try to address all of them. Thanks.

[SERIES 1]

PART 1
CLUTCH?
PART 7

| END NOTES |

- I will be doing more series later, most likely when I get my last Timeless piece.
- My build is very similar to Envy's, we might have a few different pieces of gear though.
- These videos are either me playing with a pre (no mics) or solo queuing it.

SHOW SOME SUPPORT! Follow my channel at www.twitch.tv/gctrl ^_^

You can also find this posted HERE
Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
* TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
Post edited by gctrl on

Comments

• quoiskyquoisky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Easy answer for that one:
    Delete and make a wiz or rogue.

end of story.

They should have called it "Never make another class" ...other the wiz or rogue.
  • avantharkhiavantharkhi Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a wizard, I often wonder how GFs enjoy pvp at all. With the exclusion of diminishing returns on CC, I'm able to... (verbiage modified for those who havent played wizard) force choke lift CC for 2 secs, stack chills with the ice beam so you freeze when you come out. If you get close, I force push... and you don't have a gap closer so I just wear down your block and teleport away if you get close. repeat.

I've had many 1v1s with GF's where I didn't get hit a single time. Its broken and can be fixed.

Give GF more mobility and at least a stun.
  • awaveawave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    I think you're missing a question mark in the thread title, actually a few of them would be better. :p
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GF at level 60 can be beasts. Sometimes their CC resistance is so high that Repel doesn't move them. If they're crafty they can block most anything and close the gap. I was thinking of making a GF myself because I've seen how well they keep points.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a wizard, I often wonder how GFs enjoy pvp at all. With the exclusion of diminishing returns on CC, I'm able to... (verbiage modified for those who havent played wizard) force choke lift CC for 2 secs, stack chills with the ice beam so you freeze when you come out. If you get close, I force push... and you don't have a gap closer so I just wear down your block and teleport away if you get close. repeat.

I've had many 1v1s with GF's where I didn't get hit a single time. Its broken and can be fixed.

Putting the fact that I can 2-3 shot most wizards, watching my videos should be a good enough refutation to most of what you wrote. With the right gear and build I'm able to kill almost any class before they can do anything. I'll post the same thing I posted in the barracks here to show you that.

As for mobility I have more mobility than probably any class except for GWF who can pretty much sprint always. Where does this mobility come from? 1 long range charge encounter on short cooldown, 1 short range charge encounter that knocks the target down, and an atwill short range charge with no cooldown. If I had anymore mobility it would be unfair.

As for CC I have 3 knock downs (stuns) that can crit anywhere from 7-14k sometimes even 16-18k if I get enough tenebrous procs.

Even without critting or using a daily, I can do this -> http://www.twitch.tv/gctrl/c/2326472 consistently to pretty much any class other than another GF.
    edited May 2013
    GF at level 60 can be beasts. Sometimes their CC resistance is so high that Repel doesn't move them. If they're crafty they can block most anything and close the gap. I was thinking of making a GF myself because I've seen how well they keep points.

They can also burst down targets equally/better than tricksters with the right build and gear.
    edited May 2013
    quoisky wrote: »
    Easy answer for that one:
    Delete and make a wiz or rogue.

end of story.

They should have called it "Never make another class" ...other the wiz or rogue.

You're simply wrong, learn how the classes work and stop taking the easy road out/jumping on the bandwagon with all the other naysayers.
    edited May 2013
    awave wrote: »
    I think you're missing a question mark in the thread title, actually a few of them would be better. :p

At least watch one video before making a comment.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    They can also burst down targets equally/better than tricksters with the right build and gear.

31vC8.jpg

Can not burst down single targets better than a good TR.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
    edited May 2013
    maiku217 wrote: »
    31vC8.jpg

Can not burst down single targets better than a good TR.

I have a similar GS, off by about 300 from yours and I can say with confidence that I have better consistent burst than any other class. This is due to the fact that we are not reliant on any dailies to combo people effectively and with not a lot of recovery and certain feats, we have very low encounter cooldowns. This means a constant barrage of charges and knockdowns with little to zero downtime. I know many good Tricksters with high GS that hit for a ton but they simply do not do it at the rate that we can. Long term in a fight, GF > Trickster.

Even if I were to grant you that we can only get close to a tricksters burst, with our defensive capabilities we are still the better choice.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Talking about PvP or PvE? When a TR gets on a boss and uses their flurry with NO CD and right feats, they can easily out burst us. You'd see chunks of their hp going down. GFs can't do that unfortunately.. If PvP fights were about long term and everyone had 100k hp, I'd get it. Problem is, it's short term bursts.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
    edited May 2013
    Talking about PvP or PvE? When a TR gets on a boss and uses their flurry with NO CD and right feats, they can easily out burst us. You'd see chunks of their hp going down. GFs can't do that unfortunately.. If PvP fights were about long term and everyone had 100k hp, I'd get it. Problem is, it's short term bursts.

This a serious question? Of course I'm talking about PvP, look at the title. Putting dailys aside we have the better burst as it is more consistent. We have the better cc, being able to lock down targets with ease: http://www.twitch.tv/gctrl/c/2326472. We have better in combat mobility with 3 charges. And of course, we can defend ourselves much more effectively. In PvP we are all around the better choice.

edit: I don't really care about PvE in so far as our abilities to tank effectively are possible(ie. clerics taking all the agro regardless of what we do, this is bad). But I mainly use PvE as a means to enhance my character in PvP aspects.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This a serious question? Of course I'm talking about PvP, look at the title. Putting dailys aside we have the better burst as it is more consistent. We have the better cc, being able to lock down targets with ease: http://www.twitch.tv/gctrl/c/2326472. We have better in combat mobility with 3 charges. And of course, we can defend ourselves much more effectively. In PvP we are all around the better choice.

GF are the god class in pvp, its amazing how people are so focused on wanting to nerf CW and rogues given how good GF are.
    edited May 2013

edit: I don't really care about PvE in so far as our abilities to tank effectively are possible(ie. clerics taking all the agro regardless of what we do, this is bad). But I mainly use PvE as a means to enhance my character in PvP aspects.

A good TR should be able to beat even the best of GFs. You can't beat something you can't see. Stealth and throw daggers > impossible to catch > smoke. Your shield will either be broken or you'd have lost 20k hp against a double perfect vorpal bug with 3k armp just by the daggers thrown. You could always kite away but then his stealth would be back. :D
    (Unless you have multiple soulforge gear where you keep switching chest like me) :D
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • bman1978bman1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    i only have a gear score of 9400 and i love being a 60 GF in pvp. competely agree with the OP. a GF in a one on one match will win most of the time. the reason most dont' is because they are specked for pve and are in a match just to do the dailys to get the astrel diamonds. These guys don't care about pvp and don't practice it. I remember taking out a rogue who sent me a tell saying he never lost to a GF before in a one on one.

well done with the videos by the way!
    valor.png
    Moonshadow Drow Cleric, Mr. Pickles Human Control Wizard, Ogre Hafling Guardian Fighter
    On Dragon Shard @bman78
    edited May 2013
    A good TR should be able to beat even the best of GFs. You can't beat something you can't see. Stealth and throw daggers > impossible to catch > smoke. Your shield will either be broken or you'd have lost 20k hp against a double perfect vorpal bug with 3k armp just by the daggers thrown. You could always kite away but then his stealth would be back. :D
    (Unless you have multiple soulforge gear where you keep switching chest like me) :D

Yeah, I definitely agree with you that there are scenarios where a rogue can do serious damage to you before you have a chance at defense or attack. Most of the time though this revolves around you being stationary, but I dont put myself in that situation, rogues cant stop movement, they can only prevent you from using abilities. Little things like constant movement or changing direction of where your back is constantly (out of combat) can go a long way in reducing the effectiveness of a rogues initiation on you. Not just for things like combat advantage but for running down the clock on stealth as well.
  • cerebral79cerebral79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have 3 gap closers that also include a cc and debuff and i have no problem getting on top of most rogues or wizards.
  • therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Are you playing in lv60 pvp? I rarely drop more than 30-40% in HP against well geared CW, and if they're poorly geared, maybe around 10% or so. The most popular DPS GF builds have the longest gapcloser in the game, and an at-will gapcloser that you can spam to do decent damage. I honestly have never lost in a 1v1 against a CW.
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys
  • wh0wh0 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you playing in lv60 pvp? I rarely drop more than 30-40% in HP against well geared CW, and if they're poorly geared, maybe around 10% or so. The most popular DPS GF builds have the longest gapcloser in the game, and an at-will gapcloser that you can spam to do decent damage. I honestly have never lost in a 1v1 against a CW.

Obviously you never faced a really well geared & skillful CW before. Not only they can dodge minimally 1/3 your encounter attacks, together with their daily they can drop you like 60-70% easily.
  • wh0wh0 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Obviously you never faced a really well geared & skillful CW before. Not only they can dodge minimally 1/3 your encounter attacks, together with their ray, daily etc they can drop you up to 60-70% (with 1 or 2 crit) easily in one rotation.

Sorry for double post. The forum seems a lit bugged.
    edited May 2013
    wh0 wrote: »
    Obviously you never faced a really well geared & skillful CW before. Not only they can dodge minimally 1/3 your encounter attacks, together with their ray, daily etc they can drop you up to 60-70% (with 1 or 2 crit) easily in one rotation.

Sorry for double post. The forum seems a lit bugged.

If I get the initiation on a CW I always win or they drop so low they have to retreat away from the fight, if I block their cc before engaging the same thing happens. CW's cant burst down GF's without properly cc'n them from the get go, but all their skills are so easy to read as they're casting its easy to block against.
  • alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wtf :D GF got an at will gap closer and more than 1 stun, and one of that stun got 3 charges.
  • gwalahadgwalahad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as a GWF ia ctually find GF the most annoying opponents of all, yes TRs can 1 hit kill, but thats over quickly and your straight back in, yes CW can hold, but that builds up determination that i can activate to break it(when it doesnt bug out) but GFs.. they can keep me prone pretty much indefinately - or long enough to kill at least, nothing i can do about that one - and its such a slow and painfull death
    First foundry quest, simple and to the point : NW-DDBDRZFG3
  • gwalahadgwalahad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it is odd, id have thought all calsses would get the same total ability points, jsut distributed differently(but having only played one cant be sure) and that is indeed 8 more total than my total
    First foundry quest, simple and to the point : NW-DDBDRZFG3
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited May 2013
    wh0 wrote: »
    Obviously you never faced a really well geared & skillful CW before. Not only they can dodge minimally 1/3 your encounter attacks, together with their daily they can drop you like 60-70% easily.

I play both classes and its easy to block those holds and the CW daily. A good GF can easily stick to a CW.
  • daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Are you talking about level 20 pvp? Guardians get a fantastic spammable closer at level 35. By level 60 they should have 3 closer skills slotted. They also get plenty of knockdowns, enough to destroy a CW. Its also easy to time blocking to avoid CC. CW skills are very telegraphed and entirely predictable.

Just sounds like you came across bad GFs. Good GFs and GWFs are the bane of CWs.
  • daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    25 str and 25 con, how does that work? Shouldn't it, approx. be 17 str 26 con? Where is the extra 8 str coming from?

*On a second look, the power seems odd, too. The TH set doesn't add power, the set bonus doesn't proc anything related to power. given the 5 offense slots, not even rank 9 radiants would push the power that far. Is this because of some OP pet or something?

strange...

The power is from the GF DPS endline. It essentially doubles your power stat when you have a full guard meter. Its how good GFs destroy people in PvP.
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to say last night a GF was asking for other GFs for a pvp team. Let's just say that we completely owned 3 teams and all the matches were won with ease, everything was recorded myself I was 3 shooting CWs and 4 shooting rogues :)

Forgot to say all the GFs were random no ingame VoIP or teams peak everyone was just having fun ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    I play both classes and its easy to block those holds and the CW daily. A good GF can easily stick to a CW.

Yup, most definitely.
  • heimdall1987heimdall1987 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The same goes for
    the str shown on the screenshot.

He started with a 16/16/12/10/10/10. Dwarf gives +2Str/+2Con, so at level 60 your stats are 24/24/14/12/12/12. Now add the campfire bonus and you have the stats you see.