test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Female Clothing Types

zarenkorzarenkor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. (EDIT: For cloth/leather wearers.)

I rolled an elderly crone hag female Halfling Control Wizard.

In all the gear I've gotten leveling from 1 to 60, the ONLY chestpiece that didn't show my midriff and have a ****[censored, breast] window was PEASANT CLOTHES.

Why is my experienced, calm, knowledgeable mage walking around like a common 5 copper ****[censored, prostitute or hooker].

Please give us options to disable/enable pointless sex appeal.

Thanks.

EDIT: Tl;dr: Please eventually give us an option to disable/enable/enhance sex appeal for character customization. More options for more visual variety would help not just with immersion and personal tastes, but would help with the aesthetic similarity between all the armor sets.
Post edited by zarenkor on

Comments

• Options
    haerthguardhaerthguard Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here-here! This is a long standing issue with fantasy art in general, and I for one don't see the need for unrealistic and revealing armors. Covering the chest should be of paramount importance when considering protective gear.
  • Options
    riesj74riesj74 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The gear in general lacks imagination imho.
    I play a TR and all my gear from lvl 1 to 45 now looks basically the same. brown tight gear with a random pattern on it.
    I get that rogues need stealthy gear... but ffs show some imagination and actually create new gear pieces instead of adding a new pattern every 10 levels or so.
    Every TR i see atm looks basically the same...
  • Options
    centrificcentrific Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Covering the chest should be of paramount importance when considering protective gear.

For a class that wears armour yes. But a wizard's clothes aren't exactly used for protection, that's what their magic is for.

As to the OP, every class lacks variety in their clothing. It is for me one of the greatest letdowns in the game so far.
  • Options
    riesj74riesj74 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind it. i get that an elderly female witch wouldnt wear skimpy clothes, but young agile female warriors might. The less armor, the more you can jump around. And don't forget, most armor is magical... so who says the "exposed" parts are really exposed?? ;)
  • Options
    haerthguardhaerthguard Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those are fairly weak arguments to continue unnecessarily revealing art for characters. Even a wizard's robes might ensnare an arrow or protect from the weather and elements. A young, agile female who is actively jumping would likely want something a bit more "bounce resistant". Now, tastes vary, and some will certainly choose to be a bit less conservative with their apparel. I like that there is an option to show adventuring gear or a "plain clothes" outfit. It just doesn't seem fitting that most female gear is so very boobalicious. I understand that this is a lasting troupe in fantasy art, and I would agree that it has its place in Neverwinter. More diversity and option can't be a bad thing, though.
  • Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd actually suggest going a google image search for D&D 4e (with a profanity filter enabled, of course. Otherwise....lookout.) and see what comes up. What I've seen ingame is fairly tame compared to what you'll find in said search or say....TERA or Scarlet Blade or..well...any Asian style game.

I can certainly understand the logical argument you're trying to use. I just don't see the actual problem with fantasy art and armor.
    Worry less about controlling other people, because well....you can't.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    I can certainly understand the logical argument you're trying to use. I just don't see the actual problem with fantasy art and armor.

Yes but generally, all those characters also come in the singular well-endowed slim "ideal" body type female. At least those clothes make sense, to a certain degree, regardless of personal opinion.

In this game, where you have an option to customize your character to this extent, it's so silly to pigeonhole every female into the same standards. My issue isn't that much with fantasy art/male gaze, it's that I want to be able to customize my character. That's a big thing in DND: RP, character customization, etc to suit your personal tastes. As someone mentioned above, most of the gear sets look identical, which is probably because of resource limitations on Perfect World's part, and having a clothed option would take time to remodel all the gear, which is understandable. But the option to disable/enable really should eventually exist for the sake of everybody seeing my wrinkly 90-year-old midriff.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zarenkor wrote: »
    are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

In all the gear I've gotten leveling from 1 to 60, the ONLY chestpiece that didn't show my midriff and have a ****[censored, breast] window was PEASANT CLOTHES.

Why is my experienced, calm, knowledgeable mage walking around like a common 5 copper ****[censored, prostitute or hooker].

Thanks.

So you took off your shirt?

With the shirt & pants, I've found the armor in this game to be quite conservative, compared to the last thirty years of official D&D art, and especially compared to the more common MMOs. To have someone label the stuff in this game as "hooker wear" strikes me as massive hyperbole. If it's not, you must spend a lot of time denigrating women in your head as you walk down the street and see all those exposed ankles and necks (let alone the women wearing revealing clothes.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    So you took off your shirt?

With the shirt & pants, I've found the armor in this game to be quite conservative, compared to the last thirty years of official D&D art, and especially compared to the more common MMOs. To have someone label the stuff in this game as "hooker wear" strikes me as massive hyperbole. If it's not, you must spend a lot of time denigrating women in your head as you walk down the street and see all those exposed ankles and necks (let alone the women wearing revealing clothes.)

Excuse me sir, you seem to have identified the use of hyperbole but failed to grasp its point; that is, the past 30 years of official art would be representative of 5 *gold* hookers. My crone fetches a mere price of 5 copper with such little skin showing.

Jokes aside, there's no denying that the armor is more conservative than the blatant oversexualization of before, but it doesn't mean that the current armor isn't still needlessly bare. If I had to point out the specifics, it would be that the rest of the armor is so nicely tailored and practical that it makes the midriff/boobwindow stand out in such a stark contrast that it's just so strange as a whole. I have gloves, high boots, long pants, and a whole lot of skin in between.

Also the word I originally used was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, which has a different connotation than hooker, which is still an exaggeration, but less absurd.

http://imgur.com/a/0920K
  • Options
    cptcheese255cptcheese255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks.

Well it could be worse, take Scarlet Blade for an example.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No! I want my sexy outfits. Even Blizzard tried "censoring" the WoW and look what happened, ever since transmogs were added to WoW a few years ago, all the armorkini set prices on the AH have risen to ridiculous prices! Go to any WoW AH and search for armor chest and leg pieces with the names: jade, golden, bloodfist, revenant, and many more and they are always 100g to 5000g!!!

People are buying these bikini armor sets because they are BIKINI ARMOR SETS!!!

Sex sells, live with it! And don't give me this: "Censore the game or I quit" threat because you kinda people are a minority! Cryptic will lose more people if there is no sex appeal in this game!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks.

He's a very sweary man or woman but I have to agree 100% with the OP. Some of the female armor bits are just swimwear U_U"
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Cryptic will lose more people if there is no sex appeal in this game!

Agreed, and as a sidenote can the females get bigger <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too ? Preferably with a bounce animation. Thanks.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, and as a sidenote can the females get bigger <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too ? Preferably with a bounce animation. Thanks.

How about no U_U"
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about just adding more options to the game. There should be options for both stripperific and conservative wear. For both genders. I'm sure this has been said before, but: Cryptic has always had great character customization in their games. NW is a strange exception to this. Hopefully this will change sooner than later.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Sex sells, live with it! And don't give me this: "Censore the game or I quit" threat because you kinda people are a minority! Cryptic will lose more people if there is no sex appeal in this game!
    Oh good grief. Please read what the OP is actually asking for.

He is not asking for censorship (other than that of his character's wrinkly 90-year old midriff). He is asking for a choice. Allowing women not to wear revealing outfits if they choose not to is not censorship. He is not saying that all gear should be prim and proper, just that there should be a prim and proper option.

Sex might sell to a certain demographic, but forcing characters into sexualised stereotypes is going to turn another demographic off the game.

However, I must say that the metal armours that I've seen in game actually look rather good, without this issue. No strategic windows or spray-on chainmail. I'm guessing its just the Leather and cloth designs.

As a parting thought: http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/gallery/weararmour.jpg
  • Options
    myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    I'd actually suggest going a google image search for D&D 4e (with a profanity filter enabled, of course. Otherwise....lookout.) and see what comes up. What I've seen ingame is fairly tame compared to what you'll find in said search or say....TERA or Scarlet Blade or..well...any Asian style game.

There's one reason why they should provide options (including fully clothed): Because I want a choice in how my character looks. The End.

The longer version...

Addressing the points you raised "fantasy art's looked like this for ages" and "this is tamer"... so what? Just because fantasy art's been that way for a long time doesn't mean there aren't problems with it. Look at the discrepancy between male and female cloth wearers here.

Female
    8854020986_7c68c129b5.jpg

Male
    8853405917_9104344d16.jpg

Why the difference? How can this be possibly justified? Even if the female was wearing a shirt, she'd still be showing skin because shirts on females are little more than tube-tops with sleeves in this game. All three metal armour wearing classes don't have this problem. Just cloth and leather.

But none of that matters. What matters is that I would like a choice about whether to have my character show skin or not. If you're wondering, I'm (female) quite happy looking at semi-naked female characters because I happen to find women attractive. I am not a prude or a wowser, just an advocate for choice.

Oh, and one last thing. Male characters should have the choice to show skin! Yay for choice, woo!
  • Options
    perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter has fairly conservative armor for PCs. The armor classes all are fully covered with heavy armor, and the widely used man-at-arms and cleric companions are fully covered. (The dog companion is naked but I don't think that bothers most people.)

Also, Neverwinter gave everyone peasant clothes. Those have no sex appeal, and players can wear them to be fully covered. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem. It's like the OP wanted to complain and didn't see that Neverwinter makes it easy to dress conservatively and have conservatively dressed companions.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    man-at-arms and cleric companions are fully covered. (The dog companion is naked but I don't think that bothers most people.)

I don't know whether I should be really worried that you decided to bring that up......
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well maybe if you didn't take off your shirt and pants you wouldn't have to deal with that? Leave those on and none of the outfits have baring mid drift.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    bogleparsonsbogleparsons Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013

^ lets get this movement started!
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    to the s luts (girls) talking about the clothes showing chest, waist, nothing wrong wearing that. But at the same time you want to have armor that covers completely, but like a s lut (girl) said already; And its true magic is making her chest and waist show.
  • Options
    lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This topic comes up in every single MMO and I really don't understand why. The only thing I can think of is that there will always be a certain percentage of the world's population that wants to keep us in burkas (for those who dont know, that's how men keep their women covered from head to toe in the middle east).

I don't see the fashions in NWO as "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" at all. As a matter of fact, me and my friends where just talking about how conservative the clothes in NWO are, especially compared to other MMOs. Listen, most of us like to look nice when playing these games. If not for the "somewhat" appealing fashions in MMORPGs we probably wouldn't be playing them at all. It sort of like the devs know this so they combine the game with a little bit of dress up barbie for us.

Honestly, if you find an issue with it you can always just play with a male avie and not have to bother with it. Just please stop trying to regulate everything we wear just bcause you find it sexual. I get enough regulating about what I wear in RL from my dad and brothers. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry about that here as well.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^ lets get this movement started!

I see what you did there :)
  • Options
    myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    well maybe if you didn't take off your shirt and pants you wouldn't have to deal with that? Leave those on and none of the outfits have baring mid drift.

Wrong.

8853930591_84e5beae4e_z.jpg

See her belly? Yep, she's wearing a shirt.

This is what she looks like without one... (and I had to take it off completely, no disable visuals on shirts!)

8854560712_e5edb89801_z.jpg

(ETA: For the people thinking that anyone wanting more covering clothes wants to put us back to burkas - oh please. *rolls eyes* I just want a choice. Besides, my main objection to how my CW is dressed is the ridiculousness of her shirt. Seriously, they couldn't do better than... grey cotton?)
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    s luts (girls) I am at beholder, if you need help message me I will try to help you. Whenever I can, if I can.
  • Options
    lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (ETA: For the people thinking that anyone wanting more covering clothes wants to put us back to burkas - oh please. *rolls eyes* I just want a choice. Besides, my main objection to how my CW is dressed is the ridiculousness of her shirt. Seriously, they couldn't do better than... grey cotton?)

I understand. I'm fairly new but i heard NWO had a system that allowed us to change our stats to any other type of clothing that we visually liked more and would like to keep wearing. I think that allows for more freedom of choice. Do you think that would help?
  • Options
    ali495ali495 Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Comparing to other MMOs, I've been rather happy with how conservative the clothing is in Neverwinter. Sexism is sexism, but it looks better imo.
    When the cold of winter comes starless night will cover day,
    In the veiling of the sun we will walk in bitter rain.
    But in dreams I can hear your name,
    And in dreams we will meet again.

<3
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wrong.

<image>

See her belly? Yep, she's wearing a shirt.

Whoa, that armor looks hilariously stupid. At least it looks just as stupid on both genders. The male version looks practically the same.
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    I dont care much about how revealing clothes are, aslong as we can give the females some more curvy looks. Bigger <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, rounder hips and a fuller bottom. Thanks !