test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"They can call it what they wish, but Neverwinter HAS launched"

devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Great new article over at gamebreaker.tv about NW's supposed "open beta". My favorite quotes:
Neverwinter is accepting money, there will be no character wipes, and a new update with end game content is on its way. That’s not Open Beta. That’s a launched game, and at this point Cryptic and Perfect World need to step out from behind the “open beta” curtain and avoid the confusion and negativity that comes with hiding behind the beta flag.

Yes, you are entitled to an open beta testing period, but going full launch mode and calling it beta testing is not beta testing.
The simple truth is this. They can call it what they wish, but Neverwinter has launched. It is a fully functional MMO with an operational cash shop, persistent characters that will not be wiped, what seems like a fairly large player-base, and content updates on their way. Be honest Cryptic. That’s not Open Beta.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/does-open-beta-really-apply-to-neverwinter/
Post edited by devtracker on

Comments

• agent2090agent2090 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    ...are people really still talking about this? Does it really matter that much if it's in beta or if it's live?

Plus I love the logic. Any game that accepts money is live apparently. Even Kickstarter games that are nothing but concept art. Or Alpha builds like Arma III. Oh, and Rome 2 has launched too, even if it's unavailable until September.
  • devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    agent2090 wrote: »
    ...are people really still talking about this? Does it really matter that much if it's in beta or if it's live?

Plus I love the logic. Any game that accepts money is live apparently. Even Kickstarter games that are nothing but concept art. Or Alpha builds like Arma III. Oh, and Rome 2 has launched too, even if it's unavailable until September.

That was only 1 part of the reasoning that concludes it has launched. Equally important is the fact that there will be no character wipes. It is when you combine both of those that it becomes undeniable that the game is launched, and the 'no character wipes' point has nothing to do with the kickstarter games you mentioned.
    edited May 2013
    I'm not arguing over whether this game is live or not, I honestly don't care. The bug/exploits are there regardless. I'm just saying that one of the main arguments for this being launched is simply ridiculous.

No character wipes? Sure I can kind of agree there, even though I have played quite a few games that had no wipe after beta. It's directly linked to having an active cash shop, especially when it has gamble items like lockboxes.
  • somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    devtracker wrote: »
    That was only 1 part of the reasoning that concludes it has launched. Equally important is the fact that there will be no character wipes. It is when you combine both of those that it becomes undeniable that the game is launched, and the 'no character wipes' point has nothing to do with the kickstarter games you mentioned.

Well most kick starters do not have any planned character wipes yet either.

Hey I finally get it... it's so easy to be a troll fan of a game.

But I agree, the game launched day 1 of OBT
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It makes me laugh that people think that there needs to be a difference between open beta and live.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So, are you enjoying the open beta?
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »

Yes very much thank you, I am enjoying it even more that we are down to four or five Bridge dwellers on the forums, the Mods and CM's are doing an awesome job on that front.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Only 2 groups think this is beta.

1) Cryptic/PW
    2) The easily duped fanboy's

The rest of the world just laughs and chuckles as this topic.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been telling people this game is live for a while now. It says so on PW's home page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I don't care if it's launched or in open beta. I will say this though.. I have never seen a wipe during an open beta. Ever. That being said, I have always considered an open beta a launch. I have never really noticed a difference between a launch or an open beta. However, every mmo before them has head an "open beta." as far as I'm aware. Usually it lasts only a week or two though.

Yes I am enjoying the game and am happy with it. Regardless if there's a different between "launch" and "open beta."
    edited May 2013
    I'm not arguing over whether this game is live or not, I honestly don't care. The bug/exploits are there regardless. I'm just saying that one of the main arguments for this being launched is simply ridiculous.

No character wipes? Sure I can kind of agree there, even though I have played quite a few games that had no wipe after beta. It's directly linked to having an active cash shop, especially when it has gamble items like lockboxes.

I cant speak for anyone else, but for me its not "one of the main arguments", it is just part of the(singular) "argument"(explanation) for why the game has launched. It is when you combine all the different reasons that you have one complete line of reasoning, not try to use each individual reason by itself.
    Well most kick starters do not have any planned character wipes yet either.

Hey I finally get it... it's so easy to be a troll fan of a game.

But I agree, the game launched day 1 of OBT

Cryptic are the ones claiming the game is in open beta. Many people disagree, and this article just happens to be one of the best explanations I have seen. I'm not sure how that is trolling, but if you feel the need to resort to ad hominem thats your choice.
  • xfusion14xfusion14 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its a soft launch most games do it.... so game cant be reviewed til things are ironed out
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yes. And if you want to call it live I'm enjoying that too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    I've been telling people this game is live for a while now. It says so on PW's home page.

And it says open beta on the game home page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic are the ones claiming the game is in open beta. Many people disagree, and this article just happens to be one of the best explanations I have seen. I'm not sure how that is trolling, but if you feel the need to resort to ad hominem thats your choice.

Here is the thing. The game developer and producers are the only people who get any input into if the game is open beta or live. If your not cryptic or PWE than your opinion on the topic means nothing. Nada, zip. You can call it live all day and it will mean nothing.

Nobody but the devs and publisher get to make a declaration on the games status.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    And it says open beta on the game home page.

The game home page is lying to keep the devs from getting lynched. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    xfusion14 wrote: »
    its a soft launch most games do it.... so game cant be reviewed til things are ironed out

The game's been reviewed by pretty much all the big wigs in the reviewing industry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    The game home page is lying to keep the devs from getting lynched. :D

::snicker::

Seriously that is your answer? Why assume that the PWE page is right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Here is the thing. The game developer and producers are the only people who get any input into if the game is open beta or live. If your not cryptic or PWE than your opinion on the topic means nothing. Nada, zip. You can call it live all day and it will mean nothing.

Nobody but the devs and publisher get to make a declaration on the games status.

Actually, I disagree. The professional game news/review sites are just as much a part of the gaming industry as the developers, and several of the big ones have already called into question NW's supposed "open beta" claim. I do agree that average joe player doesnt really have a say in whether a game is "beta" or not, but when the professional gaming community starts to agree on something, then that is different.
    edited May 2013
    ::snicker::

Seriously that is your answer? Why assume that the PWE page is right?

If my boss told you that I had been paid to pile some brush, and then you saw the brush had not been piled, and you asked me, and I said my boss hadn't told me to pile the brush, who would you believe?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Meh I always hated the fact that the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from people on your ignore list still show up when other posters quote them...what's the use of ignoring verbal diarrhea when it still shows up in other folks posts?
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If my boss told you that I had been paid to pile some brush, and then you saw the brush had not been piled, and you asked me, and I said my boss hadn't told me to pile the brush, who would you believe?

It would depend on the circumstances.
    edited May 2013
    It would depend on the circumstances.

Well in these circumstances I am going with the fact that PWE paid them to go live by a certain date, and that Cryptic simply didn't have the bugs ironed out by that date, so they continued to call it "Open Beta" to keep people from ragging on them too hard. Honestly though, I don't see what we call it has anything to do with the state of the game. Let's just be sure to tell the devs what problems we have, so that they can fix them. I know many MMO's and multiplayer games had to continue fixing bugs YEARS after they went live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • t4l351nt4l351n Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Windows 8 is open beta.
    Alavairthe!

Talesin
    edited May 2013
    Well in these circumstances I am going with the fact that PWE paid them to go live by a certain date

If that is a fact, then you should be able to show us where you found it.
    edited May 2013
    If that is a fact, then you should be able to show us where you found it.

http://www.perfectworld.com/

If you scroll down, and look at Neverwinter which is at the top left of the list of games, you see it has a bright green "L" right next to it. Looking at the legend on the same row as list's header "Gamelist" you see that a green L next to a game's title indicates it is LIVE! If it was Open Beta, it would be a light blue O.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

If you scroll down, and look at Neverwinter which is at the top left of the list of games, you see it has a bright green "L" right next to it. Looking at the legend on the same row as list's header "Gamelist" you see that a green L next to a game's title indicates it is LIVE! If it was Open Beta, it would be a light blue O.

Wait...you got "PWE paid Cryptic to have the game live on a certain date which they failed to do" from a little "L" icon? ****, it must be nice to have those powers of deduction.
    edited May 2013
    Wait...you got "PWE paid Cryptic to have the game live on a certain date which they failed to do" from a little "L" icon? ****, it must be nice to have those powers of deduction.

Yes, it certainly is nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

So, then, it was not a fact, but an assumption.
    edited May 2013
    t4l351n wrote: »
    Windows 8 is open beta.

Windows 2000 is still open beta. :p