test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs did you give ANY cleric love in this game?

kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Temple
We get owned in PVE and we get owned in PVP (unless its another cleric)

Did anyone there actually play the class or was this just written down on some coffee stained napkins and added as an after thought.
Post edited by kabothoriginal on

Comments

• Options
    shuleaghshuleagh Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Learn to play the class. Seriously. In PvE clerics are mandatory and in PvP the team with the cleric will win 100% of the time against a no cleric team assuming equal gear/skill. Saying that clerics are anything short of amazing is nonsense. The only problem clerics have in PvE is that too much of what determines success is pushed onto the cleric. Clerics also have some broken skills/feats and item sets don't work as they should but that is already being looked into.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only changes a cleric really needs are bug fixes to some skills (e.g. Divine Glow), changes to useless skills (e.g. Bastion of Health), gear set bug fixes (e.g. Miracle Healer and Divine Emissary), changes to useless sets (e.g. every other set), and aggro management options.

To explain that last one, I am all for changing things so people who don't want to be a healer/tank don't get aggro 90% of the time anyway, you shouldn't have to be the tank if you don't want. However, I will be really ticked off if they destroy my healer/tank by making it so I can't get aggro 90% of the time, I should be allowed to continue being the tank if I want. We need some feats/class features that let us CHOOSE what role we want to play.

Otherwise Clerics are just fine, absolutely love mine.
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shuleagh wrote: »
    Learn to play the class. Seriously. In PvE clerics are mandatory and in PvP the team with the cleric will win 100% of the time against a no cleric team assuming equal gear/skill. Saying that clerics are anything short of amazing is nonsense. The only problem clerics have in PvE is that too much of what determines success is pushed onto the cleric. Clerics also have some broken skills/feats and item sets don't work as they should but that is already being looked into.

You know that's always the trash line. L2P !!! *sigh* Yes, I go in to PVP with the intention everyone gangking my cleric and just sit there. So tell me Mr. wizard did you think maybe you might play on a team that know each other and everyone is on teamspeak? Lets not even talk about gear imbalance. If someone has a GS of 10K or better and you are at 4.6K ya think that me be a problem too? Oh and Mr. standard pro player, tell me how I am to survive their initial attack that stuns you (and your encounter powers, then knocks you back out of the AS and DPS'es you down in 5 seconds (it seems quicker).

So log in to Dragon and give me a lesson on your brilliance please.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only changes a cleric really needs are bug fixes to some skills (e.g. Divine Glow), changes to useless skills (e.g. Bastion of Health), gear set bug fixes (e.g. Miracle Healer and Divine Emissary), changes to useless sets (e.g. every other set), and aggro management options.

To explain that last one, I am all for changing things so people who don't want to be a healer/tank don't get aggro 90% of the time anyway, you shouldn't have to be the tank if you don't want. However, I will be really ticked off if they destroy my healer/tank by making it so I can't get aggro 90% of the time, I should be allowed to continue being the tank if I want. We need some feats/class features that let us CHOOSE what role we want to play.

Oh I am loving mine except for Boss fights and PVP. Adds seem to hone in on my cleric all the time. They could be on the other side of the map and they all come running for me.
  • Options
    highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited May 2013

I'm just going to say that correctly placed Bastion of Health in divine mode (with Warding Shield feat) is one of the most valuable heal and damage mitigation spell in this game I have ever used as Cleric.
  • Options
    shuleaghshuleagh Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear imbalance? It takes like 3-4 days of casual 2-3 hours played to be in full 60 epics. Figure out when the dungeon delves are up, do dungeons. As for pvp, at no point should any fight ever start for you without a divinity astral shield already on the ground for you and your teammates. From there outside of a daily crit from a rogue or being piled on with cc by the entire enemy team while your team does nothing to help you, you won't die.

You get pushed out of Astral Shield? Dodge back inside. Don't stand still and invite rogues to wail on you. Every class in the game needs to stand still to attack. Get Astral Shield down and pop up Astral Seal and Brand of the Sun while moving. Be active.

You don't strike me as someone who cares about getting advice so I'm probably wasting my time but there it is.
  • Options
    leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This x10 ^^^
    Love my cleric. I would like to see more options via different paragon paths though. Like one to make a cleric melee based for the at wills and able to equip a shield and mace or what ever weapon the god you follow favors. I would also like to see bastion of healths CD reduced to 12-15 secs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • Options
    athlonppathlonpp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's hoping the devs will not ruin the game listening to such posts.
  • Options
    shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear imbalance? It takes like 3-4 days of casual 2-3 hours played to be in full 60 epics. Figure out when the dungeon delves are up, do dungeons.

What if I'm not home during 'dungeon delves'? I'd have to wake up at 4 am or stay up until midnight (because I miss the other two by being at work). Not only that but frankly PuG groups suck most of the time. Random people are often rude, opinionated, and often stupid. I'm in a guild, but even so having five people of the right type on who are the correct level and gearscore can be difficult.

I'm frankly better off trying to buy my gear on the AH, but items are hit or miss for availability on my server.
    As for pvp, at no point should any fight ever start for you without a divinity astral shield already on the ground for you and your teammates. From there outside of a daily crit from a rogue or being piled on with cc by the entire enemy team while your team does nothing to help you, you won't die.

Total BS. A well PvP CW can double enfeeble you to nullify the defense buff of AS (and then some) then pound you into dust in seconds all while you are held (or frozen). You don't even need to be pushed out of the AS. CW's are even told (as if they needed to be) that DC's are easy prey. I've seen some DC's who can seem to take incredible poundings, but as a 7k gearscore DC I certainly could not do so. I've seen a single CW tear apart two clerics in a double divine astral shield by himself. AS is not the solution. Heck since it locks you to a limited area (or you take more damage), you become more limited then anyone else.
    You get pushed out of Astral Shield? Dodge back inside. Don't stand still and invite rogues to wail on you. Every class in the game needs to stand still to attack. Get Astral Shield down and pop up Astral Seal and Brand of the Sun while moving. Be active.

If your knocked out by a melee your prone and have to stand up, good luck trying to get back in while still prone and they beat you down.

All of that said...

When things are more even in combat I can almost 1v1 an equal geared TR/CW/GWF/GF as long as I play smart and keep moving when they use their big flashy moves and using AS when they move to 'lower damage' at wills. Though sadly I always lack just enough DPS to actually kill them (they have the tiniest sliver of HP left when I die). It's one reason I've said before that DC's need a slight damage buff. Though that is also from solo PvE where a full set of PvP purple gear and lvl 60 and lvl 56 quests are still a nightmare to solo, fights just take forever.

And if I avoid fighting other players a double AS from two clerics and some use of divine channeled sunburst to knock back attackers can do wonders to lockdown a CP. Heck I'm even pretty good at dodging the other team, taking their rear CP and then attacking from above at the center when the enemy moves to retake the rear. I've topped my team (& twice even the entire scoreboard) for PvP matches doing this sort of thing.

Then other rounds the PvP PuG just thinks I'm a glorified healbot who shouldn't mind dying in some vain attempt to keep them alive. & will kick you if you try to talk some sense into them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ^^ what he said.

You don't think I have Divinity up and AS lined out ready to cast? Most of the time I do lay it down, doesn't help me live. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can actually move and dodge back to the AS. Takes 2 dodge moves to get there sometimes, and usually by that time I am down to about 20% (or less) of my health and PvP healing pots are on a 2 minute timer.

Most of my guild is less than 40 in level, so I am forced PUG the PvP events just for AD's, glory Is secondary, but to give an idea what I am talking about. A 5 man PVP group that ALL were guilded VS my completely random PUG group. I got a whopping 37 glory! OH yes the full premade group VS a PUG and they pWnEd us! They must be proud and all that glory they "earned" /rolleyes.

Premades should be forced to play against other premades.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gear imbalance? It takes like 3-4 days of casual 2-3 hours played to be in full 60 epics. Figure out when the dungeon delves are up, do dungeons. As for pvp, at no point should any fight ever start for you without a divinity astral shield already on the ground for you and your teammates. From there outside of a daily crit from a rogue or being piled on with cc by the entire enemy team while your team does nothing to help you, you won't die.

You don't strike me as someone who cares about getting advice so I'm probably wasting my time but there it is.

You sound like someone who runs with a well premade group that utilizes TeamSpeak to call out the roaming defenders post. Yes I have been in those groups too and yes we always annihilated others too and I felt like one of the most uber players ever.

Huge difference in pugging pvp groups VS. premade groups. TeamSpeak (or Ventrilo) is a huge advantage.
  • Options
    laserdanlaserdan Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shad99 wrote: »
    What if I'm not home during 'dungeon delves'? I'd have to wake up at 4 am or stay up until midnight (because I miss the other two by being at work). Not only that but frankly PuG groups suck most of the time. Random people are often rude, opinionated, and often stupid. I'm in a guild, but even so having five people of the right type on who are the correct level and gearscore can be difficult.

I'm frankly better off trying to buy my gear on the AH, but items are hit or miss for availability on my server.

Total BS. A well PvP CW can double enfeeble you to nullify the defense buff of AS (and then some) then pound you into dust in seconds all while you are held (or frozen). You don't even need to be pushed out of the AS. CW's are even told (as if they needed to be) that DC's are easy prey. I've seen some DC's who can seem to take incredible poundings, but as a 7k gearscore DC I certainly could not do so. I've seen a single CW tear apart two clerics in a double divine astral shield by himself. AS is not the solution. Heck since it locks you to a limited area (or you take more damage), you become more limited then anyone else.

If your knocked out by a melee your prone and have to stand up, good luck trying to get back in while still prone and they beat you down.

All of that said...

When things are more even in combat I can almost 1v1 an equal geared TR/CW/GWF/GF as long as I play smart and keep moving when they use their big flashy moves and using AS when they move to 'lower damage' at wills. Though sadly I always lack just enough DPS to actually kill them (they have the tiniest sliver of HP left when I die). It's one reason I've said before that DC's need a slight damage buff. Though that is also from solo PvE where a full set of PvP purple gear and lvl 60 and lvl 56 quests are still a nightmare to solo, fights just take forever.

And if I avoid fighting other players a double AS from two clerics and some use of divine channeled sunburst to knock back attackers can do wonders to lockdown a CP. Heck I'm even pretty good at dodging the other team, taking their rear CP and then attacking from above at the center when the enemy moves to retake the rear. I've topped my team (& twice even the entire scoreboard) for PvP matches doing this sort of thing.

Then other rounds the PvP PuG just thinks I'm a glorified healbot who shouldn't mind dying in some vain attempt to keep them alive. & will kick you if you try to talk some sense into them.

Just to mention something about enfeeble. If you don't have 1 point in cleanse, you suck. It's an incredibly strong feat for 1 point and it procs constantly.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laserdan wrote: »
    Just to mention something about enfeeble. If you don't have 1 point in cleanse, you suck. It's an incredibly strong feat for 1 point and it procs constantly.

People overestimate that feat actually.

What I mean is, it doesn't proc that much in actuality.

Only Astral Seal with lots of damage tics or Soothing Light tics will proc it.

Astral Shield doesn't. Healing Word only procs on cast and not per tic the rest of the heals are just direct heals.

So if you only have 1 point you have to get Astral Seal, Brand, then maybe channel soothing light and pray you get that 10% proc chance so Ray of Bullsh*t doesn't completely melt you.

And when you're doing all of that, that's only 3 heal tics per second in total from said combo. It's a decent chance, but it's still the low end of RNG.

So what you should probably say is "If you don't have 3 points in cleanse, you suck."

Because if you don't, then you WILL suck... =/
  • Options
    maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wait Brand of the sun and astral seal does not stack on target right?
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You start by saying the only .....then proceed to create a list.
    This reminds me of the - OK, apart from that!! What did the Romans do for us?
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    wompoo1wompoo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    People overestimate that feat actually.

What I mean is, it doesn't proc that much in actuality.

Only Astral Seal with lots of damage tics or Soothing Light tics will proc it.

Astral Shield doesn't. Healing Word only procs on cast and not per tic the rest of the heals are just direct heals.

So if you only have 1 point you have to get Astral Seal, Brand, then maybe channel soothing light and pray you get that 10% proc chance so Ray of Bullsh*t doesn't completely melt you.

And when you're doing all of that, that's only 3 heal tics per second in total from said combo. It's a decent chance, but it's still the low end of RNG.

So what you should probably say is "If you don't have 3 points in cleanse, you suck."

Because if you don't, then you WILL suck... =/

A post which clearly indicates why PVE and PvP balance are not equal, nor do they have a synergy and should never be treated with the same end goal in mind ( they are 2 very different forms of play and neither complement each other). PvP balance should be kept separate from PvE balance and "should never impact PvE game play or design... the same is also true with PvE's impact on PvP... lazy design, not just from Cryptic, but from the industry as whole... PvP's impact (my opinion, don't like to bad) less diversity, less bone structure (animations) in models, less particle animations and player animation effects). Cleric in a DnD game? are so "NOT" DnD in any way at all. Enjoyable game, but lacking DnD diversity and complexity.
  • Options
    shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laserdan wrote: »

While this has been answered already... For PvP this is such an issue also because of the speed. A good CW who is trying to take you out will let a melee class (GF, GWF, TR) hit the CP your on first distracting you, then they wander into range, doubletap enfeeble, strike, and your dead in under 3 seconds. If you manage to cleanse even once in those three seconds you have pulled off a minor miracle. I do often cleanse, but I more often get 1 cleanse every 10 seconds or so.

Also plaguefire enchants can add up, I know one CW who runs a impressive set of them and can flay the armor right off of anyone he faces. He doesn't need enfeeble, but uses it anyways.
  • Options
    sharkatsharkat Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cleric is amazing at this moment.
    You get own in PVP? im sure its your fault 90%. Considering that you have same tier gear as your enemys , you should have no problems at all in a pvp. Its the way you move / skill build you have . Or maybe you dont understand that your role in PVP is not to beat a guy 1v1 its to help your team beat them.
    PVE?????? whats the problem there , its the most wanted class in a group , you can do dps , heal , tank , debuffs. You'r not dps-ing as TR but you sure are a great DPS if you use correct build for a solo pve.

The only problem i mind a bit , is the one that unspecifiederror mentions , the mobs agro on yourself. It is a bit annoying but then again , you have so many ways to kite/reduce dmg / push them ... but yes , i think the passivs that intend to reduce the threat is not worrking correctly or not working at all.
  • Options
    yarrickbotyarrickbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I'm the last person who would reply like this but to be honest "l2p" is the appropriate answer, build your cleric to suit the game environment. It took me a total of 1 dungeon to realise that I needed to change my build to accommodate the aggro, in fact I will miss being able to take all the aggro if they change things in the future. And we're a joke in PVP, cleric holds mid point = win.
  • Options
    pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yarrickbot wrote: »
    It took me a total of 1 dungeon to realise that I needed to change my build to accommodate the aggro...

That's what people are complaining about, I think - it's one thing to take some defense to make yourself more survivable, it's another entirely when it needs to be the primary focus of every Cleric build, above and beyond DPS or healing.
  • Options
    codewizardcodewizard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel your pain OP. I bet you rage quit the game one day after yet another boss fight or PvP episode when you got completely owned, and the post is the result of your frustration. I did exactly the same thing.

The poster in this thread, UnspecifiedError saved my Cleric from deletion! YouTube some of his vids (search for UnspecifiedHealer: he only has a small collection), but his knowledge and advise has me really enjoying my Cleric now @ 60. I watched his vids in the mid 40's, and respec'd using his advise (and not just his choices, but adjusted slightly for my play style). I cannot be happier with my Cleric now.

Other posters do have good advise too. Often PuGs spoil it by not looking after the ads for you. Most groups players now seem to understand that keeping the ads off your back makes the going for them extremely easy, and fun.

Keep at it mate. The Cleric class really is worth it :-)
  • Options
    sharkatsharkat Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    codewizard wrote: »
    I feel your pain OP. I bet you rage quit the game one day after yet another boss fight or PvP episode when you got completely owned, and the post is the result of your frustration. I did exactly the same thing.

The poster in this thread, UnspecifiedError saved my Cleric from deletion! YouTube some of his vids (search for UnspecifiedHealer: he only has a small collection), but his knowledge and advise has me really enjoying my Cleric now @ 60. I watched his vids in the mid 40's, and respec'd using his advise (and not just his choices, but adjusted slightly for my play style). I cannot be happier with my Cleric now.

Other posters do have good advise too. Often PuGs spoil it by not looking after the ads for you. Most groups players now seem to understand that keeping the ads off your back makes the going for them extremely easy, and fun.

Its exactly what i did. I used his guide and changed it a bit to my own needs and play style.
    And dont make the mistake of going 100% for a "guide" without thinking on your own. It may be a good guide , just not the one you expect .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    codewizard wrote: »

TBH, I don't rage quit, and if I pick up a game its usually for a at least 3 years. Oh I might let an expletive or two, but I don't rage quit. But it is the first time I decided to make a cleric as a main and they seemingly seem the weakest. Oh I heal and I get wacked like a mole that owes a birthday kid some tickets. LOL Its what it feels like.