A nice article that covers nwo and the notion of it being beta

2»

Comments

• mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    Yeah, I know.

It's me on a slow day. :p

Look, we both know this ends just like last time. With all of your posts deleted. How is this fun for you? Also, it probably ends with people asking us to take it to private, whatever your issues with me are. I'm warning you though, I don't do psych eval for free.

I'm going to go play the game for a while. But I hope you stick around. Should be fun. The game, I mean.

Also, the fake detective work is cute, "Mechjockey".

My posts deleted ?? This Happened ?? RAGE

Oh not really.
    I'm warning you though, I don't do psych eval for free.

OKAY, I doubt anyone pays you to either.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Interesting opinion piece, but at the end of the day, that is what it is: an opinion. It makes assumptions, is provably incorrect in some places where the writer states their opinions as if they were facts, and relies on a very personal definition. The OP has the same issues, as do many other post on the thread, on both sides of the argument.

The reason that there will not be a resolution? There is no set, accepted definition of "release" or "open beta".
    Some people believe, as the OP and the author of that article do that "release" is defined by persistent characters and real money being spent on the game. Others take their cue from the manufacturer, and will define it as released when the company produces and disseminates a release version.
    Both groups are right, because in the absence of an official definition, everyone uses their own definition, which simply boils down to personal opinion. Troy Blackburn, rragle, impervium, myself all have an opinion about what constitutes "open beta", and "release".

You can bash on the articles for its mistakes and lack of critical thinking, but if Troy's personal definition of open beta means that in his mind, NWO is not in open beta, he is allowed to believe that it has released. As long as he doesn't try to state that belief as if it were fact, you should not have issue with that belief any more than that of a religious group for example.
  • skuldarnskuldarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    No need to elaborate. Facts are facts. I see nothing of value in the blog, but he's within his right to offer his opinion. For someone that's been around as long as I have here, I know it's just off base and I found it a waste of a read. I'll get my development news from the developer, thank you.

Read Andy's awesome state of the game post for the actual game development progress.

Having read the article, I found it quite reasonable. It was mostly opinion, with some fact assumptions thrown in, but you have yet to list even one fact you dispute. Your casual dismissal smacks of unmoderated fanboyism and guarantees that any posts of yours I see in the future will be met with considerable skepticism. If our only source of opinion on the game comes from the game's own developers, we would be in a very poor state of information, I think most rational people would agree.
  • xaciusxacius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    skuldarn wrote: »
    Having read the article, I found it quite reasonable. It was mostly opinion, with some fact assumptions thrown in, but you have yet to list even one fact you dispute. Your casual dismissal smacks of unmoderated fanboyism and guarantees that any posts of yours I see in the future will be met with considerable skepticism. If our only source of opinion on the game comes from the game's own developers, we would be in a very poor state of information, I think most rational people would agree.

Agree. Here's the thing..the blog is very opinionated but who cares...well actually there are quite a few people that care...especially a moderator showing pure unadulterated fanboism. The basis behind it all is that this is not a BETA even though they've tagged it as a BETA...and it's not...the game is launched...period..this is the farthest thing from a BETA that you can get with the cash shop. They want to charge you $6.00 for a respec..there are broken feats and powers across all the classes...isn't the point to get them all tested and fixed before "launch"...apparently not in this game..in order for you to "test" Open BETA..you have to pay $6.00 to test out broken feats and powers...who's going to do that..with an ounce of common sense involved? This is NOT BETA no matter who at Cryptic or what mod on this forum wants to state otherwise...the game is launched and the article is spot on in that aspect.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xacius wrote: »
    They want to charge you $6.00 for a respec..there are broken feats and powers across all the classes...isn't the point to get them all tested and fixed before "launch"...apparently not in this game..in order for you to "test" Open BETA..you have to pay $6.00 to test out broken feats and powers

If this point doesn't give even the most ardent "it is a BETA" fanboyz something to think about, I don't know what will.
  • tomsctomsc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    If this point doesn't give even the most ardent "it is a BETA" fanboyz something to think about, I don't know what will.

Could not agree more.

I'm really enjoying the game, I've played MMO's Starting with UO and Everquest and have played many Beta's. Other than the lacklusture crafting (which seems to be the way things are going :( ) I have no axe to grind.

I'll admit though this insiting it's Beta is driving my nuts ! Dis-proportionately too lol.

Other than the company stating it's Beta (which I'll admit is enough for some) This is in no way Beta in my mind. Even the state of the game article our fanboi above quotes the stage of 'launch' we're at.

Please Please just call it release and get on with it :) I don't actually see anything will change !! So what if we 'don't even have all classes' yet ? Classes are often added after a release. Nice free content :)
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rragle wrote: »
    http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/does-open-beta-really-apply-to-neverwinter/

I think most can agree that this game is not in open beta, and along with the main fact, that any game in beta would have wiped the servers and started again after the exploit is proof, that games companies like to think we (the consumer) are naive enough to let them do as they will and take our money, yet any problems arise, stick up the "this is beta!" Flag.
    I enjoy playing the game, yet I don't like being insulted, I understand from a business point why someone thought it was a great idea to call it open beta, yet that same person was a fool to not stand by it after the exploit and wave that same "this is beta" flag, yes we said no more wipes, but its beta, we couldn't predict this, and the only way to protect the games longevity and LAUNCH is to learn from our mistakes and start again.

I found one reply in that article, sums it up for me.
    "Farting in the wind and calling it a rose, doesn't make it so!"

P.s remember I enjoy this game a lot, so not hating on the game in anyway shape or form, I am if anything complaining about the company who made it, and the person/s who thought it wise to call it open beta, yet not stand behind that testament after the exploit.

There are already like 100 articles like this. No one considers this beta except the Cryptic pajama wearing fanboy's. Most logical thinking people came to the conclusion this was a release when the game become available for genral public consumption for a monetary amount. That is called releasing a product.

If Cryptic wants to hide behind the open-beta tage to try and cover the fact that they didn't do enough QA or capacity planning that is their choice. Most people aren't fooled.
  • xaciusxacius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    tomsc wrote: »
    Could not agree more.

I'm really enjoying the game, I've played MMO's Starting with UO and Everquest and have played many Beta's. Other than the lacklusture crafting (which seems to be the way things are going :( ) I have no axe to grind.

I'll admit though this insiting it's Beta is driving my nuts ! Dis-proportionately too lol.

Other than the company stating it's Beta (which I'll admit is enough for some) This is in no way Beta in my mind. Even the state of the game article our fanboi above quotes the stage of 'launch' we're at.

Please Please just call it release and get on with it :) I don't actually see anything will change !! So what if we 'don't even have all classes' yet ? Classes are often added after a release. Nice free content :)

I agree..they just need to call it release and be done. I don't get the whole BETA situation at all...I'm trying to comprehend it and can't because it's not BETA. What exactly have they done to "change" the game at all other then networking improvements and "fix" exploits. They'll add the other class or classes soon..but you can guarantee it's a cash shop item and hopefully not $40.00 either like the mounts are. A respec should be $1-2$ max or just put in the game for gold. Mounts shouldn't go over $25 bones..hell even WoW doesn't charge $40.00 for mounts that go towards charity ffs...and I hate WoW and what Blizzard has become since merging with Activision. Fact is..the game is released and people need to stop using the BETA excuse like you said...it's old..it's not even warranted...but it goes to show you just how naive people really are and there's a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> load of them that honestly think this is BETA.

I am also enjoying the game and currently rolling up a GWF and GF side by side and letting my 60 DC just become a praying/crafting toon for now until hopefully they tweak a few things with dungeons being..well not fun...and waiting for the ranger class or whatever is next. I do wish there was a bit more to crafting then hitting 2 buttons and waiting anywhere from 10-4hr...then repeating but I get the concept. Either way the game is fun..it needs work of course with class balancing, PVP is a disaster, Boss fights being nothing but an ADD fest that subsequently hit harder with each boss until your done with the dungeon is a boring and at time simply frustrating mechanic...so we'll see. They also need to tweak down the cash shop..the prices are just stupid...but..IT'S NOT BETA CRYPTIC.....
  • rraglerragle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Originally Posted by xacius
    They want to charge you $6.00 for a respec..there are broken feats and powers across all the classes...isn't the point to get them all tested and fixed before "launch"...apparently not in this game..in order for you to "test" Open BETA..you have to pay $6.00 to test out broken feats and powers

That is pretty much game, set and match.
    Thank you.

It's hilarious how I am yet to see one of the die hard supporters defend this argument, with any logic.
    Please those who felt the urge to come up with fact is fact, and read my articles I have posted loads, I know it all, respond to why this is the case for a beta.
    Sorry, but no shame in losing an argument, it's just like pvp, you can't win them all.
  • mopop27mopop27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How much do you get paid to be a community sheep, I mean manager. You just look silly when you shoot down something that I'm sure a lot of us know better. It's borderline insulting, you were better not giving your 2 cents because you are WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY, of course anything negative you are going to shoot down lolz. Then you refer us to the REAL state of the game with the state of the game post. Sound like some shady government practices, nothing to see here, no reason behind it, here is an official propaganda filled agenda to ease yer minds.

P.S I like this game and spent money on it.