What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Got my first Chat Ban today.

2»

Comments

• scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kavle1 wrote: »
    I was just trying to sell a few epics I got in the Delves event. I ended up winning like..5 or something..

Ninja.
  • coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aronwen wrote: »
    Then there are some who do it for 'fun'
    Maybe, but most of us want Chat to be for Chat, and not some Wal-mart channel. Sell your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the Auction House.
  • thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I'm quite happy with the 24 hour ban, one of the harshest ways and effective IMO for deterring and eliminating a decent amount of the spam.
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The automated chat ban system is completely f'd up. Trolls / grievers can and do spam the "Report spam" button on everyone in Zone chat, trying to get people chat banned. A group or guild of people can easily chat ban a select target any time they wished. They need to get rid of this terrible system and hire more GMs to actually time out or ban the real RMT spammers, instead of legitimate players who just want to sell or trade their goods.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kavle1 wrote: »
    I was just trying to sell a few epics I got in the Delves event. I ended up winning like..5 or something..and instead of one HUGE paragraph of me trying to sell 5 things..I broke them up into three messages.

"Selling X and X and X for 1 Key/10g Each"

Send two messages back to back every 30 seconds and you get silenced.

It's not really a big issue though. I don't mind being silenced..but for 24 hours?

It's TWENTY-FOUR. I was supposed to lead a series of series of my guild's T2 runs but I had to make an alt and level him to 15 on another account just to tell my friends I was chatbanned and the whole thing was off. Just a massive inconvenience that stopped 4 other peoples days also.

Now you know. Every 30 seconds w/3 lines? If you did it more than 3 or 4 times, expect it. Try every 5 minutes or so to be reasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The automated chat ban system is completely f'd up. Trolls / grievers can and do spam the "Report spam" button on everyone in Zone chat, trying to get people chat banned. A group or guild of people can easily chat ban a select target any time they wished.

In theory this is possible, in practice I don't see it happening (and I imagine that would be actionable, too). In practice, the only players actually affected by this are those who spam (like posting the same line three times in rapid succession) or who are verbally abusive or obnoxious.

Hiring people who do nothing but monitor the chat is economically not really viable. Not even pay-to-play MMOs do this.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    In theory this is possible, in practice I don't see it happening (and I imagine that would be actionable, too).

I was maliciously silenced yesterday so I know first hand for a fact that it does happen, I guess you shouldn't question ninja-looting guilds practices in private tells as they can and will ban you from all public/private chat for 24 hours.
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can`t live 24 hours without chatchannel ? you obviously chose for it yourself ;p so why complain on forum.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    I was maliciously silenced yesterday so I know first hand for a fact that it does happen, I guess you shouldn't question ninja-looting guilds practices in private tells as they can and will ban you from all public/private chat for 24 hours.

I'd probably report that, if that happened to me. Figures, though. Small step from being anti-social when it comes to loot to griefing people in other ways too.

I feel that a chat ban should only affect Zone chat, not party or private chat. Being unable to communicate at all for 24h is pretty strong.
  • artanzartanz Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the spam in protectors enclave of traders has become so bad i just report them all for spam as soon as i see any WTS or WTB is it a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> move ? I personally do not think so. If enough other people are tired of not being able to use the /zone chat to actually chat or ask /answer questions someone will get banned. If more people don't care and just let it go they will be fine.

I think anyone who gets the 25 people reporting them and gets a ban deserved it. Im sure occasionally groups of people use it to grief others but i doubt its rampant or widespread.

What i like the most is that when i report for spam it auto ignores those people so i will never again deal with them. Does anyone know if that keeps you from joining them in pug dungeons via the group tool ?? Many of them are likely the ones that roll need on everything anyhow.

back to the thread enjoy the 24 hour id use player made channel for trade or only repeat the message every 5 mins like another poster recommended every 30 seconds is spam the very definition of it so most likely this is a troll post from OP anyhow but if not you should take that into account and perhaps in the future you wont get banned.

Something else to consider many people like myself report spam when a tedious amount of wts wtb is being put into /zone by multiple people so perhaps not joining in the fray would be wise.

It is also worth note that i think this form of community self policing is actually better than volunteer mods elevating single individuals can be just as problematic and they tend to be as impossible to police as a rouge group of people that wanted to grief would be.
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd probably report that, if that happened to me. Figures, though. Small step from being anti-social when it comes to loot to griefing people in other ways too.

I feel that a chat ban should only affect Zone chat, not party or private chat. Being unable to communicate at all for 24h is pretty strong.

Yup I probably should have but meh it's only 24 hours that I can't create/join pre-made groups for so although frustrating not a huge deal and it has allowed me to focus exclusively on leveling professions during this time.

Managed to get my tailoring from level 13 to almost level 17, should be pretty close to 20 by the time my ban runs out in 10 hours so I guess they've kinda done me a favour *shrugs*
  • bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The thing is that everything was working as intended in his example.
    Whatever ones personal opinion on the way things should have been done, its abundantly clear that always rolling need is the best policy if you aren't running with friends in the current system.

Also he sent complaining tells they ignored him en mass he gets his ban. Its very difficult to get a chat ban simply by say trolling chat. It seems that it almost always involves spamming sales or a question repeatedly or irritating a GM who through some magic actually happens to be in game.
    edited May 2013
    The thing is that everything was working as intended in his example.

I don't feel that he should get banned from the public chat if people ignore his whispers. Likewise, if people ignore one's public Zone chat messages, they shouldn't get their private whispering abilities disabled. I think the system is generally economical and probably better than the alternatives, but a few tweaks could make it a more efficient and refined tool.

I also wish I could ignore people without it affecting their chat abilities. When I ignore someone (not report for spamming), I just don't want to see their stuff on my screen, without wanting to "punish" them or restrict any of their gameplay features (other than not being able to bug me).
    edited May 2013
    Also he sent complaining tells they ignored him en mass he gets his ban. .

I sent one tell to one player asking why two clerics and one rogue needed on a wizards item... silenced.

If I was aggressively raging on someone or multiple people about it then I could see their point and yup you're right the looting system is what it is but I won't stoop down to the level of the desperate & greedy :)
    edited May 2013
    I don't feel that he should get banned from the public chat if people ignore his whispers. Likewise, if people ignore one's public Zone chat messages, they shouldn't get their private whispering abilities disabled. I think the system is generally economical and probably better than the alternatives, but a few tweaks could make it a more efficient and refined tool.

I also wish I could ignore people without it affecting their chat abilities. When I ignore someone (not report for spamming), I just don't want to see their stuff on my screen, without wanting to "punish" them or restrict any of their gameplay features (other than not being able to bug me).
    I would agree with this if it were my game. As well it likely shouldn't be an account wide ban either. However its working as they currently intend so an activity that many games would consider griefing is working as intended in this game.

If they had a more robust interface you could enable something like Prat, but here you'd have to mess with the client to enable a lot of those features I think.
    edited May 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    I sent one tell to one player asking why two clerics and one rogue needed on a wizards item... silenced.

If I was aggressively raging on someone or multiple people about it then I could see their point and yup you're right the looting system is what it is but I won't stoop down to the level of the desperate & greedy :)

Oh I thought I wouldn't but I've been duoing with my son for kicks even though his normal gaming is mostly console. And I learned immediately that you only hit need if you ever want an item so I just carry it with me in a dungeon. I used to wait until I saw the first need roll come from a class that couldn't use the item, but it always happened so now its easier to just go with the flow.

As well as a long time WOW player I saw the community move from NBG to using the random queue with no reputation turning into the same as this system. You could find the same exact ninja threads there currently with on group arguing x and the other y.

For a long time when I played in a competitive guild our sole loot rule was don't be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and that worked, but no way is something like that going to be replicated now.