test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do "tips" work

zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just curious, I haven't seen any discussion about tipping the creators of foundry content. Any insight on the how this process works would be welcome.
Post edited by zolimos on

Comments

• chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When you finish a quest (must complete the quest) you are given a review box to rate it (5 star system) and write a brief comment, also there is a tip option to give the author an Astral Diamond tip up to 100 AD. You can only tip the author once I believe, so it is not on a quest by quest basis but rather on an author by author basis.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    When you finish a quest (must complete the quest) you are given a review box to rate it (5 star system) and write a brief comment, also there is a tip option to give the author an Astral Diamond tip up to 100 AD. You can only tip the author once I believe, so it is not on a quest by quest basis but rather on an author by author basis.

Thanks for the response. It's interesting that YOU replied. You are on of the foundry authors I was planning to check out. I'll give you an honest rating and who knows... maybe a tip!
  • pasainpasain Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    Top tip is mentioned above as being 100, Tips are 100/250/500 from what I have seen. I am not sure of the mechanics of it in regards to retipping authors. Which is what brought me to this thread. This does seem to be the only thread on foundry tipping I searched for.

Anyway.. My point is I like to tip for player created content, it looks like hard work to make, so Thanks n have a tip!

Tip limits seem abit strange. I think I saw there is a 3 tip limit per day, and retipping a author is also limited? I might have read that in the tip window but cant recall. If someone could clarify that would be cool.

I have been running some daily qualified foundries.. Sometimes I want a new fresh one, sometimes I want something I know so I can see how my toon/skill has progressed, sometimes you just want that last one for the daily to be quick.. So anyway I am now 60 and the daily quest amount of foundries is 4.. yet I can only tip 3 times...

Tipping should have a limit of 4 to match the daily limit.. and retipping should be allowed for previously tipped quests, if there has a been a sufficient amount of time elapsed between runs.. daily, but not 24 hours perhaps.

Thoughts..?
  • mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    I think the author tip limit is to prevent ponzi schemes.
    This could be solved by letting you tip each Author only once per day (for a whopping total of 4,500 AD a week ooooooooo) instead of just once period.
    It'd prevent people from just making alts and tipping themselves, but allow people to show regular support.
  • xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, no...by Ponzi schemes I mean creating a Foundry mission for the sole purpose of collecting 100 AD from as many people as possible every day. People can be very misleading and convincing con artists. There's no way to prevent that except the author limit that's in place now.

I don't see the point. people will not tip a poorly made foundry mission. I know that some authors do actually make them as a way of getting some AD but there will be no reward if you don't put effort into it, and people that are just there for the diamonds and not for quality quests will make horrible foundries.

• mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No, no...by Ponzi schemes I mean creating a Foundry mission for the sole purpose of collecting 100 AD from as many people as possible every day. People can be very misleading and convincing con artists. There's no way to prevent that except the author limit that's in place now.

I can see what you mean. If it were different then people could get ridiculous amounts of AD. Say a Foundry quest has had 13,000 players and 40% decide to tip.
    That's 5200 people tipping. Let's break it down with estimates.
    2500 peeps tip at 500 = 1,250,000
    2500 peeps tip at 250 = 625,000
    200 peeps tip at 100 = 20,000
    (these numbers are an example sheesh)
    The total is 1,895,000 AD. That's just taking into a single quest. Some authors have multiple quest lines with each quest played by 7,000-15,000 people.

That's a LOT of AD. Imagine how bad it would be if tipping were quest by quest or the author limit was daily/weekly
  • arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That's not even close to the definition of a Ponzi scheme. Maybe you meant something else? Actually I'm not even sure what you could have meant. How can you "con" someone into tipping you? Why would people tip unless they enjoyed the quest?

The real reason tipping is limited is to prevent you from using the Foundry to trade diamonds. This forces you to use the AH which taxes the transaction and so acts as a sink.
    edited May 2013

I am with xen1912, I don't see your point. The author tip limit doesn't really limit what your suggesting.. unless there is another limit I am not aware of.

A. you are not forced to tip.
    B. No one is going to tip worthless work.
    C. If 100 people ran a quest they could all tip afaik.

The author limit just stops 1 player from retipping, not every new player from doing so.
    edited May 2013
    Read my previous posts, it addresses both comments.

It does not. You seem to think "ponzi scheme" means any kind of financial scam. This is incorrect. A Ponzi scheme is a very specific kind of con that does not in any way resemble anything you typed.

You also have not stated a logical case in which anyone could be "scammed" into tipping an author. People tip if they enjoyed the quest and are kind enough to say so with a handful of diamonds, otherwise they do not.
    Foundry would be a terrible and extremely slow way to trade AD.

Not at all, assuming your imagination is functioning properly. But since you can't use it that way anyway it's a moot point.
    edited May 2013
    Argumentative, nitpicking, probably don't even care about the topic....

Moving along.

Well I can only lead you to information; I can't make you drink it.
    edited May 2013
    mistriosu wrote: »
    I can see what you mean. If it were different then people could get ridiculous amounts of AD. Say a Foundry quest has had 13,000 players and 40% decide to tip.

*snip* some numbers *snip*

That's a LOT of AD. Imagine how bad it would be if tipping were quest by quest or the author limit was daily/weekly

So 1.8 million AD for a single foundry quest going off your numbers. I hadn't thought deeply into the numbers. Seems like a lot.. say compared to a Epic piece of armour or a luck gained lootbox mount.

What is a foundry worth then.. 1.8 does seem like a lot, but could be made from one dungeon if you sold the gear..

Over how many weeks would it take to build upto these type of numbers.. does revising the quest reset the limits?

Perhaps retip amounts could be set to max 100AD only. I am hesitant to say weekly as I am likely to run something twice in a week then not for a month.

Does the community feel that foundry quests should be a dribble style source of AD income.. What would a foundry quest make over a year, would it be from first time or repeat players..
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've run a few foundries, tipped one creator for what I thought was some really good work.

I do not see how anyone could con people into tipping them, though, and a Ponzi scheme? Really?

If someone says "tip me or I am taking the mission down" then I say "shut up and take it down, then". Seriously. I am supposed to get all bent out of shape and worried that I might not be able to play some random foundry mission? That's just silly.
    Even if I ran through it I would still not be forced to tip, and there is no way that the creator can somehow try and coerce me to tip them.
  • goodbiscuitgoodbiscuit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If someone makes an awesome foundry quest that gets thousands of people to tip them, they deserve 1 million AD (or more). I don't see any possible way that someone could "con" any significant number of people into tipping them. Also--how can you have a Ponzi scheme in this situation?
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My quests have been run somewhere around 130,000 times. My tips just cleared 1,000,000 the other day.
    Sounds good at first, but its not.
    1 Zen = 1 cent.
    1 Zen = 400 astral diamonds on the exchange today.
    1000,000/400 = 2500 pennies. So a crowd the size of a large stadium full of people managed to scrape together 25 bucks :p

Most foundry quests will be doing well if they clear 1000 runs,which at this rate earns the author about 25 cents worth of astral diamonds. :cool:
    edited May 2013
    I do not see how anyone could con people into tipping them, though, and a Ponzi scheme? Really?

there is no way that the creator can somehow try and coerce me to tip them.

No, "ponzi scheme" doesn't make any sense whatsoever in this context. The guy who keeps using that term doesn't understand what it means.

In a Ponzi scheme you have waves or tiers of investors to whom you promise great returns. You take the money they invested in your fake enterprise and give some of it back, tricking them into thinking they're getting a return. "See?" you say. "It really works!" You then use this "credibility" to attract more investors and/or larger investments. Meanwhile of course you're just pocketing the vast majority of the money, occasionally doling out more "returns" to keep people from getting suspicious and to attract even more investments.

Bernie Madoff did this and accumulated billions. But no one could do this with the Foundry because there's no such thing as a return on a tip. It literally doesn't make any sense, at all, in any conceivable way, to use the term "ponzi scheme" in this context. The term has a definition which has nothing to do with tipping Foundry authors.
    edited May 2013
    I think your assuming more interaction then there is in regards to your con artist examples..

The creator doesn't know who ran their content, unless tips are marked from individual players, they may be actually. SO I guess you could see the African Prince email scam scenarios appearing.

Having a line in quest dialogue saying "tip or this will be removed" would result in a ToS violation no?
  • goodbiscuitgoodbiscuit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    My quests have been run somewhere around 130,000 times. My tips just cleared 1,000,000 the other day.
    1 Zen = 1 cent.
    1 Zen = 400 astral diamonds on the exchange today.
    1000,000/400 = 2500 pennies. So a crowd the size of a large stadium full of people manage to scrape together 25 bucks :p

Thank you for injecting some actual information into this discussion. There is no way foundry authors are making a million+ per day. Congrats on making a popular foundry. People are frugal with their tips (and rightfully so-it is their diamonds) and if people like your foundry, you deserve the tips. Simple as that.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    izatar wrote: »

I wonder how many of those accidentally closed the feedback/tip window prematurely by moving.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those accidentally closed the feedback/tip window prematurely by moving.
    Well, about 2/3 of the players who completed the quest left stars, so at least that many did have a chance to tip.
    edited May 2013
    I don't know, but if it did...it's irrelevant, the guy that made it probably would make quite a bit of money before it's removed. Then probably do it again, and again, until he is banned (if that happens). Scammers are very talented at gaming the system.

Well they would still have to go to the effort of making a foundry mission, that is worthy of a tip.. and under the current system, you idea of scamming is currently available.. doesn't seem too rampant.
    edited May 2013
    Izatar,

Are tips anonymous? Do they arrive in the mail with a handle attached to them? How do you receive them and what information is given about the player that tipped?
    edited May 2013
    Tips and ratings are anonymous. Only way to see the @handle is if they leave a written review.
    pasain wrote: »
    Izatar,

Are tips anonymous? Do they arrive in the mail with a handle attached to them? How do you receive them and what information is given about the player that tipped?
  • captndafcaptndaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    No, no... by "Ponzi scheme" I mean creating a Foundry mission for the sole purpose of collecting 100 AD from as many people as possible every day.
    You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    "Duct tape is like the force; it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together."