test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Cleric companion is an idiot.

auferoaufero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Things my NPC cleric companion has done today:

-Run fifty feet away from me to stand in the middle of a pack of zombies.
-Chase down a giant so she can cast her ranged attack at melee range and die in the AE.
-Try to shake hands with every Ash Disciple we meet.
-Repeatedly follow me at just the right distance so the magma elemental AE hits her, then stand in it until she dies.
-Run over to a doorway to say hi to two more groups of mobs I didn't want to fight yet.
-Refuse to cast Healing Word for 10 minutes straight - apparently people who are at 30% health are icky.

Did she flunk out of adventuring school, or do they train NPC clerics by hitting them in the head repeatedly with blunt objects?
Post edited by aufero on

Comments

• czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    Seems like my cleric went to the same adventuring school. The best thing she does is "chasing the templates". She just can't resist them. When a RRoD appears somewhere she goes all "SHINEEEEY. DEEEEERP!" and runs right into it. Smart one she is :).

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lmao, cleric is just dumber than the cat/dog.
  • coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My cleric is the worst Companion on all my characters, and the dog is the best. The cleric either fails to heal, or she does as described and stands in the middle of the mobs, or both. The dog gets straight in to fight, rips things up and does not mess around.
  • seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You're not guarding your Cleric? Shame on you. You deserve what you get.

Team of two, your Cleric heals you, you abandon your cleric and she gets killed.

Makes you the doofus, not her.

Duh.
  • strateg0sstrateg0s Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cleric companions are so annoying when you are a Rogue. You Stealth, run in and start attacking your enemies, a second later in charges your cleric and stands RIGHT where it will make the enemies hit you when they attack her. Every time. I usually let her die, then kill the enemies and let her heal any damage I took afterwards, much less hassle that way.
    edited May 2013
    I do the same on my Rogue - the Cleric just wades into melee instead of hanging back and healing. I prefer the man at arms or the dog to the cleric when I'm on my Rogue.
  • seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Choose a companion to fit your character. I play tanks, a healer is what I need. You play another style, choose a companion that best fits your style of play. And yeah, sometimes there are so many mobs I can't protect my healer, and she dies. When luck is on my side I kill 'em all and she jumps up, ready to fight another day. If I'm unlucky I usually I die too and start over.
  • filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, but the problem is that healer companion is actually not healing :) The AI is stupid imho
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always try to run different companions than the Cleric. I only pick her up when I need to be healed between fights, and basically just with my GWF when I leveled. Gosh, I'm glad that I don't need her anymore!
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do know you can resurrect your companion if they go down while in combat.
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just yesterday while down in the chasm I was running back to the vendor when I passed a group of mobs. Appears she knew them so she stopped to have a chat. Strange thing is she must have got lost so her mob friends brought her back to me at the vendor. They have a few choice words with me about leaving her all alone.
    edited May 2013
    filc wrote: »
    yeah, but the problem is that healer companion is actually not healing :) The AI is stupid imho

Your gaming experience is different than mine. Not sure why. My lvl 15 Cleric is pretty good in combat and does a decent job of healing. Are you doing your bit with giving her Enchantments and Amulets and such? I haveta keep up with my rough AD upkeep to make sure I can keep my Cleric's runestones up to par.
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah but the cleric, like you said, is predictable.

The rogue seems to have the most problem with squishy companions because of stealth.

My usually strategy is stealth into an ugly room and deal with trash which gets your cleric focused on non boss things for the first seconds.

Then when you hit the boss your Cleric will, predictably, stand right where the boss will be hitting you.

Deft Strike and turn the boss.

Now you are standing in front off the boss with the Cleric safely behind the boss.

Which works great. usually the Cleric will stay there and heal unless things go bonkers.
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    You do know you can resurrect your companion if they go down while in combat.
    Of course, but it's a waste of time 9 times out of 10.
    edited May 2013
    coggage wrote: »
    Of course, but it's a waste of time 9 times out of 10.

Not really cause it gives the mobs another target other than just you.
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Int is a dump stat for clerics :(
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yarknarf wrote: »
    Yeah but the cleric, like you said, is predictable.

The rogue seems to have the most problem with squishy companions because of stealth.

My usually strategy is stealth into an ugly room and deal with trash which gets your cleric focused on non boss things for the first seconds.

Then when you hit the boss your Cleric will, predictably, stand right where the boss will be hitting you.

Deft Strike and turn the boss.

Now you are standing in front off the boss with the Cleric safely behind the boss.

Which works great. usually the Cleric will stay there and heal unless things go bonkers.

In the longterm, a Cleric is the best choice to level with a TR simply because she gives you a sustain component. Ideally you'll want a Cat later, though.
    Characters:

• delionivercourtdelionivercourt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree I have heard it stated several times that the cleric companion needs a "stand here" command during combat I have also heard it needs a heal me now dont attack the level 58 boss and stand right on top of him just heal command, as a TR lvl 60 its like my cleric has anger issues. The thing I keep in mind is I have to resurrect her at least once a boss fight if not more, because the minute I go stealth everything targets what they can see, and guess what? That thing they can see is my cleric lol. My particular cleric companion has been known while I am standing somewhere talking to party members if I am in a party to find the closest group of bad guys to her and start hitting them just sayin. All in all she does a pretty good job of things though. I just which she would quit thinking she can hit them high ranking bosses with anything and just heal me while I am fighting.
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    In the longterm, a Cleric is the best choice to level with a TR simply because she gives you a sustain component. Ideally you'll want a Cat later, though.

Yeah the Cleric is my first choice on a TR.

If you can, like you said, sustain yourself, with the TRs speed of kill, you can destroy a quest real fast.

You just have to know how predictably stupid they are and when they do the same dumb thing over and over come up with your own dumb thing that prevents that action as best you can.

Can't afford the cat yet on TR.
  • jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Not really cause it gives the mobs another target other than just you.

It takes far more time to res the companion in the middle of battle than the mobs 1 shotting the companion right away when you have ressed him. This happens somewhere after lvl 45.
    edited May 2013
    yarknarf wrote: »
    Yeah the Cleric is my first choice on a TR.

If you can, like you said, sustain yourself, with the TRs speed of kill, you can destroy a quest real fast.

You just have to know how predictably stupid they are and when they do the same dumb thing over and over come up with your own dumb thing that prevents that action as best you can.

Can't afford the cat yet on TR.

I had an easy time leveling because I went with a cheesy perma-stealth build. I run Saboteur and stay all the time invisible while hitting with Lurker's Assault and At-Wills. It make take me a while to clear the boss but I can easily hunt down the adds then focus myself on smacking the boss while he can't hit me back.

My power selection for PvE is Shadow Strike, Smoke Bomb and Bait&Switch for Encounters. As Dailies I stick with Lurker's Assault and Shocking Execution.

Hope this helps to those having trouble leveling.
    Characters:

• filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your gaming experience is different than mine. Not sure why. My lvl 15 Cleric is pretty good in combat and does a decent job of healing. Are you doing your bit with giving her Enchantments and Amulets and such? I haveta keep up with my rough AD upkeep to make sure I can keep my Cleric's runestones up to par.

It's not about the setup. Very common behavior is that she is ignoring my health bar for whatever reason even after the combat is over. Like OP said in the first post. Happens a lot that she is not casting heals.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most companions have taken lessons from "Electronics work better when submerged in lava" and "Let me tell you about the beacons" Derpfender. As long as you keep that in mind, you should be fine with their behaviour.
  • delionivercourtdelionivercourt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited May 2013
    It is kinda funny though, I run with another TR, and we both have the Clerics we all go into a room and lol usually the only thing with more aggro than the other TR I run with is the clerics. So with the clerics and the other TR all aggro'd up I have a marvelous time getting behind and going to town on most mobs and bosses.
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't take that long and when you do go back to killing the cleric has sometime to heal up. I have only done this in boss fights.

Order of battle.

Attack until cleric goes down.
    Resurrect cleric.
    Go back attacking while cleric heals up.
    Repeat as needed.

I did some boss fights where I didn't do this and I died. After I respawn I go back and do the above, I beat the boss.
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It is kinda funny though, I run with another TR, and we both have the Clerics we all go into a room and lol usually the only thing with more aggro than the other TR I run with is the clerics. So with the clerics and the other TR all aggro'd up I have a marvelous time getting behind and going to town on most mobs and bosses.

Being the other TR he runs with LOL I find it funny that the only thing in the room with more aggro than me are our lvl 15 clerics...his more than mine...I suggested we rename his "Has Anger Issues" because she *constantly* wanders off and picks fights while we're planning. Or if there's an inanimate object we're supposed to destroy (or even if we're NOT supposed to destroy it yet) they'll wander off to hit it while we're dying in a mob elsewhere. I just want the option to treat her like a five year old, stick her in a corner and say "don't move, just heal me". Yeah we can res them when they go down but what good does that do if they're literally down between the boss' legs and you die on your way in?

**edit: Totally in favor of renaming her "Has Anger Issues With a Side of ADHD"

**edit2: BTW did I mention mine jumped off a set of spiral stairs the other day on the way back to a boss fight and *died*?
    edited May 2013
    LOL I think that my cleric went to the same adventuring school the first person who posted to this did. I also think and agree she has to many friends that she just must stop and say hi too during the adventures, even if they are dead, and wanting to kill her now, she has to give them the benefit of the doubt, ya know, being a cleric and all.
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a related side question, what's the best build for making your cleric companion less threatening?
  • nelzynelzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as a CW i have had no problem with my cleric, (only that it fell behind in levels and cant heal enuf so around level 30-40 i had to replace her for a phoera for dps)
    its all about keeping the mobs of her, witch ofc was no problem since i just aoe everything and take it myself when she heals me.
    sure she might need a bit of an upgrade in her avoiding skills, all companions seams to lack the AI to avoid any effect on the ground atm.
  • aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    I always kept aggro off the cleric but always died due to always wanting to just go right in bosses/mobs faces despite not even being a melee companion... then dying.