What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thorin's Mighty Axe - GWF Guide

13»

Comments

• ilbiondoilbiondo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a question:
    When i marked the boss with my ability, the tank overwrites my mark with its ability?
    (sorry my bad english)
  • fivecmpersecondfivecmpersecond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    great guide,used it from lv 10 till now,not having problem at all so far :D
    Huge fan of Aria,5 Centimeters Per Second,Bungaku Shoujo & Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sevyxuoir68sevyxuoir68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok what race is that build?
  • fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As for the determination, its still better than roar in my opinion. It lowers the monsters defenses and improves your own. This increases everyones damage and keeps you alive when you pull threat in tier 2. Beats the knockback on roar.
    I am a dwarf for this build because only true hardcore gwf are dwarves!
    Yes GF marks overwrite GWF marks.
  • asaviosasavios Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    asavios wrote: »
    As of yesterdays patch Daring Shout isn't viable any more :( only builds a tiny bit of Determination now. Like 2-3% of max Determination with 10+ monsters around. Try it. This sucks...

I would have thought that would cause an outcry. But obviously no one cares :(
    fcrowles wrote: »
    As for the determination, its still better than roar in my opinion. It lowers the monsters defenses and improves your own. This increases everyones damage and keeps you alive when you pull threat in tier 2. Beats the knockback on roar.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Daring Shout :) But I hate the bugged version of it^^
    Hope they will fix it soon.
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ..vs Guardian Fighters - I usually don't fight them, they take too long to kill and aren't much of a threat.

lol diff server but not much of a threat if they suck balls through a straw...lol i merc most enemies in a 1 vs. 1 fight and can last through several people fighting me long enough for people to come back to help :) , just gotta spec right for Guardian, but alas i am making a GWF for pvp purposes so i can eat people's faces faster :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    asavios wrote: »
    I would have thought that would cause an outcry. But obviously no one cares :(

Most take roar over daring shout because it has instant reward. Kinda silly. Its like take 20 dollars now or 200 in a hour.
    Daring shout decreases the monsters defenses, increases your damage and bolsters your defense so you don't always need to leave that red circle. The determination was just a bonus.
    edited May 2013
    kharnagex wrote: »
    lol diff server but not much of a threat if they suck balls through a straw...lol i merc most enemies in a 1 vs. 1 fight and can last through several people fighting me long enough for people to come back to help :) , just gotta spec right for Guardian, but alas i am making a GWF for pvp purposes so i can eat people's faces faster :p

When I wrote this guide I had a 60 GWF only. Now I have a 60 GWF, 60 GF and a 60 CW. I have to say GF are much more useful in pvp than I imagined, but most I go up against take bulls roar, that knockback and other knockbacks. Unstoppable eats them up and the 45% reduction in their armor eats them up more. The chances of me coming in a 1v1 with a GF is slim so there's no reason to write a guide about it. I should be keeping the TR off the healers and catching CW off guard, not focusing a GF
    edited May 2013
    Updated the pvp section
  • chuckmukitchuckmukit Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hey thorin, can u please upload some pics of your gear plus ur ability point distribution.
    and what was the race u play with gwf
    edited May 2013
    chuckmukit wrote: »
    hey thorin, can u please upload some pics of your gear plus ur ability point distribution.
    and what was the race u play with gwf

I only check these forums at work so no on the screenshots.
    Gear - Vigilant Warlords Helm/Chest
    Bladestorm Glove/Boots
    Ancient Castle Champion's Greatsword/Knot
    Master Slavemasters Rings x2
    Grant Fugitive Necklace thing
    Belt of Arachnaid Mastery
    Greater Plaguefire Enchant
    1 Greater Tenebrous Rune
    Offensive - Radiant
    Defensive - Azure
    Utility - Dark
    Armor Enchant - Bloodtheft

Stats - Str/Dex
    Dwarf, my name is Thorin after all.
  • chuckmukitchuckmukit Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only check these forums at work so no on the screenshots.
    Gear - Vigilant Warlords Helm/Chest
    Bladestorm Glove/Boots
    Ancient Castle Champion's Greatsword/Knot
    Master Slavemasters Rings x2
    Grant Fugitive Necklace thing
    Belt of Arachnaid Mastery
    Greater Plaguefire Enchant
    1 Greater Tenebrous Rune
    Offensive - Radiant
    Defensive - Azure
    Utility - Dark
    Armor Enchant - Bloodtheft

Stats - Str/Dex
    Dwarf, my name is Thorin after all.

kk no problem on the pics
    thx anyway
  • fivecmpersecondfivecmpersecond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im wondering whats the best main hand starter after we reached 60? i saw Sharpened Ice Axe,Reaver's Edge,and Greatsword of The Heroic Duelist at auction and they have similar price @_@
    Huge fan of Aria,5 Centimeters Per Second,Bungaku Shoujo & Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First of all, nice guide. I started this game 7 days ago as GWF and you helped me to make some decisions on what to do :).

But wanted to respond on some parts of your guide.
    Gear:
    Priority 1 : Power - More power means more benefit from Slam.
    Priority 2: Recovery - Faster cooldowns means faster action points
    Priority 3: Defense - Raises power.

Power as #1 we all can agree about, I should put Defense on #2. Defense gives you extra power which is usefull for Slam and At-Will attacks. Also you're a close range class, in the range where pretty much every NPC can hit you, especially bosses. Especially in some dungeons where you have like 10 NPC's around you (the moment to make good DPS with WMS & Slam & Unstoppable) you get a lot of hits.

Than I should make a shared Priority 3, Recovery and Critical Strike. Critical Hits are important to a GWF, you put Deep Gash and Student of the Sword on 5 which both need Critical Hits for it's effect, same goes for Devastating Critical (3/3) which gives 15% extra Critical Severity (that also needs a Critical Hit for it's effect). So you would be wasting a lot of feat power to exclude Critical Strike from the list.
    PvP:
    Passives - Steel Defense, Steel Blitz
    Encounters - Flourish, Indomitable battle strike, Takedown
    Dailies - Crescendo, Slam

Would Come and Get It not be a better choice than Takedown? When I play PvP I see a lot of people running away from you, with that encounter you pull them back to you and gives you flat damage buff to your next attack for 3 seconds. Than you can use Flourish (which always hits than) or Indomitable Battle Strike to hit him even harder and good part is that he is back at you (make sure he used his stamina before using Come and Get It).
    Feats -
    Heroic :
    Weapon Mastery 1/3 - Nothing else to put it in

Sentinel:
    Student of the Sword - 5/5 - Now you're increasing everyone elses damage by 15%, awesome.
    Powerful Challenge - 5/5 - 15% more damage sounds nice.

If you want to focus on PvP remove the 10 points from Sentinel and put them in Instigator. Take 5/5 Unstoppable Recovery and 5/5 Stunning Flourish.

I agree with the most of the Heroic feats you picked, but spending the last Heroic Point in Weapon Mastery looks like a waste. It gives you just 1% extra Critical Strike, while I indeed said it's important for a GWF that 1% is just not enough. To translate that 1% in Equipment, you need around the 130 Critical Strike to get 1%.
    I picked Armor Specialization for my last point, that increases the effectiveness of the AC and Defense by 5%. This is scaleable, if you have a higher AC & Defense, the 5% is also more. Looks like a better spend than that lousy 1% Critical Strike.

I don't agree about removing points from Sentinel towards Instigator. Unstoppable Recovery gives you 5% of your max hit points at Unstoppable, let's say you have 30k hp as GWF. 5% of 30.000 = 1.500 HP, if I have 30.000 HP or 31.500 that difference won't safe me from the death. That's pretty much 1 encounter of a enemy and your dead and because Unstoppable can't be spammed every 10 seconds it's just not worth the points.
    Stunning Flourish can be nice, but to get that Paragon you need to spend 5 points in Instigator first and both of the first options aren't good.

You we're talking about Deep Gash being good, why won't you use Student of the Sword also for PvP? 15% less defense on a crit hit sounds perfect for a pvp to me. If you both have Deep Gash and Student of the Sword means even more damage to the player and Student of the Sword can stack up to 3 times. This combination is just perfect for a GWF in PvP.

The remaining 5 points shouldn't be put on Powerfull Challenge, NPC's need to be marked for it effect and they are unmarked as soon as they do damage to you. NPC's pretty much hits you always when you trying to kill it. I would put it in Disicple of War that gives you 25% of your Recovery as Armor Penetration, Armor Penetration removes Dmg Resistance from their Defense so you hit more Damage. Some very good gear give a lot of Recovery which gives you also 25% extra Armor Penetration, more free points! and translates in even more damage.

But love to hear the opinion of you (and others) about this. I think this can make your DPS higher and do more DMG in PvP.
    signature-lili.png
    edited May 2013
    vverg wrote: »
    First of all, nice guide. I started this game 7 days ago as GWF and you helped me to make some decisions on what to do :).

But wanted to respond on some parts of your guide.

Power as #1 we all can agree about, I should put Defense on #2. Defense gives you extra power which is usefull for Slam and At-Will attacks. Also you're a close range class, in the range where pretty much every NPC can hit you, especially bosses. Especially in some dungeons where you have like 10 NPC's around you (the moment to make good DPS with WMS & Slam & Unstoppable) you get a lot of hits.

Than I should make a shared Priority 3, Recovery and Critical Strike. Critical Hits are important to a GWF, you put Deep Gash and Student of the Sword on 5 which both need Critical Hits for it's effect, same goes for Devastating Critical (3/3) which gives 15% extra Critical Severity (that also needs a Critical Hit for it's effect). So you would be wasting a lot of feat power to exclude Critical Strike from the list.

Would Come and Get It not be a better choice than Takedown? When I play PvP I see a lot of people running away from you, with that encounter you pull them back to you and gives you flat damage buff to your next attack for 3 seconds. Than you can use Flourish (which always hits than) or Indomitable Battle Strike to hit him even harder and good part is that he is back at you (make sure he used his stamina before using Come and Get It).

I agree with the most of the Heroic feats you picked, but spending the last Heroic Point in Weapon Mastery looks like a waste. It gives you just 1% extra Critical Strike, while I indeed said it's important for a GWF that 1% is just not enough. To translate that 1% in Equipment, you need around the 130 Critical Strike to get 1%.
    I picked Armor Specialization for my last point, that increases the effectiveness of the AC and Defense by 5%. This is scaleable, if you have a higher AC & Defense, the 5% is also more. Looks like a better spend than that lousy 1% Critical Strike.

I don't agree about removing points from Sentinel towards Instigator. Unstoppable Recovery gives you 5% of your max hit points at Unstoppable, let's say you have 30k hp as GWF. 5% of 30.000 = 1.500 HP, if I have 30.000 HP or 31.500 that difference won't safe me from the death. That's pretty much 1 encounter of a enemy and your dead and because Unstoppable can't be spammed every 10 seconds it's just not worth the points.
    Stunning Flourish can be nice, but to get that Paragon you need to spend 5 points in Instigator first and both of the first options aren't good.

You we're talking about Deep Gash being good, why won't you use Student of the Sword also for PvP? 15% less defense on a crit hit sounds perfect for a pvp to me. If you both have Deep Gash and Student of the Sword means even more damage to the player and Student of the Sword can stack up to 3 times. This combination is just perfect for a GWF in PvP.

The remaining 5 points shouldn't be put on Powerfull Challenge, NPC's need to be marked for it effect and they are unmarked as soon as they do damage to you. NPC's pretty much hits you always when you trying to kill it. I would put it in Disicple of War that gives you 25% of your Recovery as Armor Penetration, Armor Penetration removes Dmg Resistance from their Defense so you hit more Damage. Some very good gear give a lot of Recovery which gives you also 25% extra Armor Penetration, more free points! and translates in even more damage.

But love to hear the opinion of you (and others) about this. I think this can make your DPS higher and do more DMG in PvP.

I still think recovery is more important than defense for three reasons.
    1. Recovery gives action point gain, which means more slam which means more damage.
    2. Recovery gives cdr, which means more encounters, faster AP gain, more slam more damage.
    3. The defense trait is currently broken.

The other points you made I'll combine into one. If you want to use my pvp build you have to spec for pvp. That 5% saves you more than you think. Encounters have cooldowns and most at wills are weak, you start the fight with unstoppable you should get a second one towards the end of the fight. If you pop unstoppable to get away because you cant win or others come 1000 hp is a lot when the enemies encounters are on cooldowns and you have unstoppables damage reduction. Also that flourish crit is required. Sucking everyone in doesn't do any damage and pvp is all about hit and run if you are building glass cannon. Stunning with flourish guarantees a takedown which guarantees a indomitable battle strike which basically almost kills any other lighter armor player. Your at wills are weak. The point is to stun lock them in a huge damage burst, pop unstoppable spam at wills then kite until the encounters refresh and do it again.
  • morseusmorseus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been a few weeks since I've seen any replies. This still viable? I'm messin with an Infiltrator build right now, but it really doesn't feel right, and lookin for a Destroyer build to try out.
  • zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What does Slam really help? It says it slows down the enemies.
    "..vs Cleric - Hardest match up. You have a very brief window to kill one. Eat their encounters, pop slam, unstoppable and all 3 encounters right away and unload. If you don't kill them before their cooldowns reset or slam wears off you're better off running. "
    Why do you run away when the slam wears off?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krazeiefurykrazeiefury Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am trying to figure out how to work in the Armor Pen feat in the destroyer tree without losing too much. being as you have to drop in 5 points there just to get access to it so you are looking at 10 points in destroyer with limits what you can put into Infiltrator paragon. it's also hard to choose between the first 2 abilities in destroyer paragon for me as I like both of them and what they can do for me so now I am looking at 15 points of the 30 and that crushes any hope of having a good instigator tree line.

I am providing as much Apen as I can get from my cat with gear and augs but, there is a limit to what I am ablew to transfer over. it's arround 1000k or so. Is there any way arround this? I am either barely over 2222 or in the high 2100's which I am ok with but, if I don't use that feat I lose a lot.
  • bewarned87bewarned87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When you mention a lvl 5 legacy weapon what do you mean? only thing i got in the mail was some free dyes haha.

Was this a event thing and did i miss it?
  • drakushgdrakushg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bewarned87 wrote: »
    When you mention a lvl 5 legacy weapon what do you mean? only thing i got in the mail was some free dyes haha.

Was this a event thing and did i miss it?

I believe that is from one of the founder packs you can purchase.

Possibly the 'Greycloak Legacy' from the Founders Pack?
  • johnj9000johnj9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the good information.
  • zultan9zultan9 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no Legacy Weapon in the mail...The reward is boots in the chest
  • hulurtinhulurtin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just wanna let the OP know how great i find his build is......sporting a lvl 32 GWF and having LOTS of fun...really GJ mate
  • spikefrspikefr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is there a display of this build made on http://nwcalc.com/ to have a fast overview ?
    Thank you.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nice guide my man,saved me alot of heartache.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you :o