test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea for the Lack of Plays of New Quests

chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I've given this some thought and I think I have come up with a solution to the lack of plays of the new content and even some older content in the foundry.

Give players a reward for being one of the first 100 plays of a Foundry Quest.

Suggested Reward: 500 AD and level appropriate Runestone.

Limits: 5 New Foundry Quests per day to receive AD and 10 to receive Runstones. Player must play 5 different quest to be eligible for the reward.

This will give players incentives to play new quests, not just ones that will get their daily done. After the quest gets the plays needed to be eligible for the daily, players get a double bonus for playing the less played quests to help boost them up the played ranks.

I cannot think of any reason why this system could not be added to the game right now.

Please consider this or a similar system to promote some of the great quests lost in limbo.

If anyone can think of why this would not work, please comment and let me know.

Thank you.
There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
Post edited by chili1179 on

Comments

• Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree. Anything to help. Sure there is plenty of garbage out there, some of it you can't even complete it. But there could be some hidden gems and that would be a great way to find those.
  • Options
    nolracnolrac Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree with this one. I was thinking the same thing since usually, players would go for quests that already have good star ratings and reviews. This would give newly created quests or new Dungeon Masters a chance to shine or improve by getting a lot of feedback.
  • Options
    jaqazjaqaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Instead of just having a daily Foundry event they could also have a "new" daily foundry event. In order to complete you have to play a foundry quest that has under "x" amount of plays/reviews. However, in order to complete I would suggest that players must leave a review. Not that some people won't still leave crappy reviews...

~ Jaqaz
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My thoughts were more along the lines of set the cap on the bonus XP hour for foundry to foundries you have not run in the last week. This gives a incentive multiple times a day. I like Chili's idea but I think there also needs to be a "once per mission" restriction. Otherwise people log in, go to the for review tab, find a quest and run it 5 times in a row. Gets them the reward and TANKS the UGC's average play time.

It would also be nice to see more emphasis on the beta reviewer achievements. Right now you sign up to review beta UGC, get the achieve and never even have to run one.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great idea!
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    My thoughts were more along the lines of set the cap on the bonus XP hour for foundry to foundries you have not run in the last week. This gives a incentive multiple times a day. I like Chili's idea but I think there also needs to be a "once per mission" restriction. Otherwise people log in, go to the for review tab, find a quest and run it 5 times in a row. Gets them the reward and TANKS the UGC's average play time.

It would also be nice to see more emphasis on the beta reviewer achievements. Right now you sign up to review beta UGC, get the achieve and never even have to run one.

Added a small line in the limit. Player must play 5 different quests to be eligible for the AD reward.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bump, this needs to be a thing.
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People should review the beta quests they play here.
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Excellent idea all around. ++1

Make it so.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    gilidusgilidus Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    I agree with giving an AD bonus for completing new foundries. There is a limit on how many you can earn in a day anyway so it wouldn't affect balance.
    Labyrinth of the Pso'nul'ja - NW-DAIIR7LMF
  • Options
    slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I support this. Too many good quests are buried under a pile of ****.
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this idea should be modified, mostly because there are a lot of new foundries that players didn't put enough effort into or don't care about and are broken or just bad. An alternate approach:

Allow only the authors that opt-in the ability bid so that new players can play their quest (up to say 25 or 50 quests/ etc). They could bid different amounts, up to something like 1000/ play.

That way, only the authors who are motivated enough and think their content is worth playing through are able to give the incentive. There's a lot of content that shouldn't be incentivized to play and naturally authors that fall into this camp probably won't be paying out diamonds to get others to play.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Allow only the authors that opt-in the ability bid so that new players can play their quest (up to say 25 or 50 quests/ etc). They could bid different amounts, up to something like 1000/ play.
    So author A doesn't have any AD because they've tipped it all. Now who's willing to play their quests?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, that's a bad idea. I can't afford to pay 1000 ad per play. This would be helping those that are rich and would be further hurting those who have their quests buried.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You wouldn't have to do 1000, you could do any amount up to 1000, per play, as a way to get started.

You don't want to be promoting all the trash quests as well as the good new authors, I would think.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You wouldn't have to do 1000, you could do any amount up to 1000, per play, as a way to get started.

You don't want to be promoting all the trash quests as well as the good new authors, I would think.
    If A makes a trash quest, but has AD, how does this fix things? Versus the point I made about someone who gives away all their AD in tips?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It adds a layer of incentive to play the quests of the authors who feel their quests are worthy enough to spend AD on reviews. It would stand to reason that people who are willing to pay to get reviewers care about their quest.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It adds a layer of incentive to play the quests of the authors who feel their quests are worthy enough to spend AD on reviews. It would stand to reason that people who are willing to pay to get reviewers are those that put some time and effort into building their quest.
    What doesn't stand to reason is how people who don't accumulate AD get these reviews. People will be doing all the 1000 ad reviews. For most players, that's how it works: if you noticed the threads created both in this forum and the gen discussion forum when people speed ran tilt42's mission to the point it no longer qualified. Most people play these things to get max reward.

My character is level 27. I have zero AD, every AD I've gotten has gone out in tips. My lack of reward obviously shows I don't actually care about my content under your proposal, right? My maps look like this:
    swamps2.jpg

So if I can't offer a reward, who is going to play mine?

How do I compete with the random level 60/T1/T2 player who sells stuff for hundreds of thousands/millions of AD in the AH and for whom paying for his/her ogre map is less than pocket change? Are you suggesting I stop building things to grind AD?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ^ Would be my main concern as well if authors were to put in AD incentives.

How is someone like Kama or me supposed to compete with a level 60 that builds crappy quests, but has millions of AD?
  • Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could we, perhaps, add Search Functionality to the "review" section? There are literally hundreds of new adventures in the list, and the only way to look through them is to "surf"... If a friend stumbles on one that they think is a "gem", they of course will pass on this info and have others try it out (to try and get the gems into the new, best, and maybe even featured section), or if an author creates one and wants others to try it out (like in the guild, or friends, etc)... the only way for them to find it is to just scroll through the list.

Needs to be a way to search (maybe by author, or keywords, or SOMETHING! lol)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, you can search using the author's name, the quest's name, or a short code. The best way is via the shortcode.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Quest Description:
    "5 gold each to the first 100 people who rate my quest a 5."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What doesn't stand to reason is how people who don't accumulate AD get these reviews. People will be doing all the 1000 ad reviews. For most players, that's how it works: if you noticed the threads created both in this forum and the gen discussion forum when people speed ran tilt42's mission to the point it no longer qualified. Most people play these things to get max reward.

My character is level 27. I have zero AD, every AD I've gotten has gone out in tips. My lack of reward obviously shows I don't actually care about my content under your proposal, right? My maps look like this:
    swamps2.jpg

So if I can't offer a reward, who is going to play mine?

How do I compete with the random level 60/T1/T2 player who sells stuff for hundreds of thousands/millions of AD in the AH and for whom paying for his/her ogre map is less than pocket change? Are you suggesting I stop building things to grind AD?

Your content looks awesome btw. :) I will check it out.

Yes, I would suggest that players under this system would need to dedicate some time to dailies or a dungeon. Foundry daily, PVP daily etc.

You can only tip a maximum of 1500 ad/ day I believe. Over time you could build reviews thru dailies.

Overall though paying people to review of course leads to the problem of only the new quests getting reviews:) The more I think, both of these solutions probably aren't the best approach either.

I think better search functionality (by tags, etc) & trending columns (newer quests should naturally have a larger % growth than ones with large bases) might actually be a better way to go to start..
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I think listing quests with the most 'growth' should be essential. That way new quests that go from 0 - 10 plays appear higher than quests that go from 10010 to 10020.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Your content looks awesome btw. :) I will check it out.
    That particular mission's not done yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This still needs to be a thing, so I'm bumping it.
  • Options
    delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    On the surface, I love this idea. However, I could see the "New" tab getting flooded with pointless 1 or 2 minute quests until they reach 100 reviews (making it harder to find quality quests), then replaced. If there's room for exploitation, people will unfortunately take it in this game. I'm still a bit saddened by the lessened foundry treasure rewards. :(

Maybe set a minimum time limit of at least 10 minutes or something?
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's an idea that would stop the 15 minute quest farming that's keeping a select few convenient to run maps at the top. Have five different daily bonuses for quests depending on their duration. The daily bonuses for longer quests should reward a proportionally fair amount more than the shorter ones. So say you might get 250 AD for a quest under fifteen minutes, 500 AD for a 15-30 minute quest, 750 for a 30-45 minute quest, 1000 for a 45-60 minute quest, and 1250 for any quest over an hour long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    delthanin wrote: »
    On the surface, I love this idea. However, I could see the "New" tab getting flooded with pointless 1 or 2 minute quests...

Agreed; it's clearly exploitable. The idea has potential, but there would have to be a minimum time. Or maybe a formula based on the average time (e.g., 50 AD per minute, up to 2000 max or whatever). Some reward (or at least no penalty) for the longer quests.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see the point with time, but this can also be exploited by just simply sitting in a 2 minute quest for an hour.

Adding a baseline time limit might help but it would still be sitting in a 2 minute quest for 15 minutes (or whatever the baseline requirement would be).

But since we can't even get foundry improvement patches, I assume helping low played quests get attention is pretty low on their list.

I should stop posting, I'm in a "no foundry fixes this patch" bad mood.