test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

>> Confused by the term "BETA"? READ ON!

Comments

• rezargamerrezargamer Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    kulsvein wrote: »
    If you dont want to beta test this product move on and come back when game is released in full, or not - quit whinging!
    Make us!!!

Do you really think idiotic post like yours have any effect?
  • zanthe25zanthe25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Don't matter if you pay or not, beta is BETA....

People will pay fortune just to be apart of betas let alone anything else, and hell lately people pay fortune to be apart of Alpha's let alone Beta's (Greenlight/Kickstarter)

You can yell and scream all you like about it being released.... but fact of matter is, it not released till they say it is.
    edited May 2013
    tjockus wrote: »
    I say - Let more leave. The more that leaves the more exploiters will be gone.
    What kind of lunatic logic are you applying here.

Do you somehow think the "leavers" are all exploiters???
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The software is a beta version, regardless of what any of the naysayers or conspiracy theorists may say. All this wailing and nashing of teeth about the beta status, this claiming that it is a soft launch and folks insisting that it has actually been released is just so much hullabaloo raised by folks who do not know one whit about software development.

While your first post was reasoned, informed and provided a developer's viewpoint - you are also ignoring how terribly muddy Cryptic/PWE have made the waters on "beta".

It's an MMO beta, but there will be no wipes before launch.

It's an MMO beta, but has none of the trappings that beta testers usually have (such as free respecs).

It's an MMO beta, but not only are they accepting real money transactions they have already released a lockbox promotional item!

It's an MMO beta, however PWE's main site lists (in two different places) Neverwinter both as "Open Beta" and "Live" (live icon instead of open beta icon, even though there is in fact an open beta icon).

http://www.perfectworld.com/

So one can hardly fault the player base for being confused on what exactly the state of this game is, neither the publisher nor developer have been clear in their overall message or actions.
  • borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zanthe25 wrote: »
    You can yell and scream all you like about it being released.... but fact of matter is, it not released till they say it is.

I keep saying my **** is gold but people still keep calling it ****. Sure, it smells like it and it looks like it, but I say what it is, because I made it.
  • unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ahhhh this game will end up like the Warz......in court.
  • ilmenurilmenur Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I recall a certain official post about not resetting after the 25th of April since the economy had started. And what do they do? Default to Beta excuses?
  • tomsctomsc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious. Especially from the 'developers' in this thread.

Can Anyone name another MMO that did not do a full wipe between Beta and full release ? That for me is the main thing.

If there is no wipe, what your saying is any mistakes that have been made before release that have a long term effect on the game are acceptable. Do you really feel that way ?
  • atlanticx1atlanticx1 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    ...ALOT

"A LOT"
    n89bster
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Open beta
    - marketing speak for 'not my fault if it flops/crashes/dies/is full of bugs and exploites'
    - exec. speak for 'my wallet needs filling again'
    - dev. speak for 'it needs another 9 months to test, fix & polish'
    - customer speak for 'I wanna play now [wail]'

:D

Actually kind of accurate... What I don't understand is why are all of the "customers"/testers upset when game bugs, imbalances, etc are discovered in Open Beta when that is to be expected?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    tomsc wrote: »
    If there is no wipe, what your saying is any mistakes that have been made before release that have a long term effect on the game are acceptable. Do you really feel that way ?
    That is also the reason this is NOT beta, it is a soft launch you won't notice any difference between "beta" and launch.

Any screwups NW makes will FOREVER be in game.
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious. Especially from the 'developers' in this thread.

Can Anyone name another MMO that did not do a full wipe between Beta and full release ? That for me is the main thing.

Where would you even start. It has been going on for about a decade now I think. Almost every new F2P game does it. And why not, people keep falling for it. Although I don't remember if they opened the cash shops in beta during the early years.
  • unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Game is LIVE "L".....look ...use dem eyes...it says LIVE on their offcial website since 3 weeks !!!!! LIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE

stop that beta talk bs pls. it not funny anymore

LIVE

"L"
  • dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Find me a single formal definition of "beta test" where it specifically and explicitly states that a data wipe is required at the end of the release.

Further, find me a single, formal definition of "gold release" where it states specifically that the software will be released using a clean database.

I have yet to see one.

This argument is being bandied about by folks left and right, yet I have yet to see anyone provide a definitive authoritative reference to back it up.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    enct wrote: »
    You heard it here first, folks: every MMO is in beta!

While it is true that every mmo has bugs and sometimes occasional instability. What separates this game from those is the quantity and frequency. Just because you wish it to be in a full released version despite the fact that the developers state the version and state of the game will not change anything.

The game needs extensive testing still before it would be deemed a full release by any developers notion. If you are upset that you purchased something and was expecting this game to be bug free, you only have yourself to blame. If you did not understand what beta was or still don't, you only have yourself to blame.

The game is free. If you chose to purchase something without testing the game fully. You only have yourself to blame. Being upset over a game in beta phase for having issues is like being upset that there are only 7 days in a week. It is pointless and makes you only look foolish.
    edited May 2013
    Find me a single formal definition of "beta test" where it specifically and explicitly states that a data wipe is required at the end of the release.

Further, find me a single, formal definition of "gold release" where it states specifically that the software will be released using a clean database.

I have yet to see one.

This argument is being bandied about by folks left and right, yet I have yet to see anyone provide a definitive authoritative reference to back it up.

Find me a single formal definition that it doesn't.
    edited May 2013
    You've not answered my question.

can YOU name an MMO that did not have a wipe between Beta and Release ?

Yes you can have your definitions but I'm asking a simple question. Also would you release software that could not be reversed should an error be found that has had long term effects in a period of 'testing'
  • svannstonesvannstone Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When they accepted cash shop spending and decided that there would be no character wipe between beta and live they significantly changed the meaning of the word beta. This beta is more like release than the commonly understood meaning of beta.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    unirod wrote: »

Game is LIVE "L".....look ...use dem eyes...it says LIVE on their offcial website since 3 weeks !!!!! LIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE

stop that beta talk bs pls. it not funny anymore

LIVE

"L"

WOW! He is right! It has a letter "L" next to Neverwinter... I must have missed the press release or something...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • tjockustjockus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rezargamer wrote: »
    What kind of lunatic logic are you applying here.

Do you somehow think the "leavers" are all exploiters???

No.. but i bet a great ammount of em are.. Better safe than sry to me...
    edited May 2013
    tjockus wrote: »
    No.. but i bet a huge ammount of em are.. Better safe than sry to me...

That is genius! Everyone should quit. With zero players there will for sure be no exploiters at all. Why didn't we think of this earlier?
    edited May 2013
    The truth of the matter is that the term 'Beta' has been hijacked by marketing people to be used purely as a marketing tool to hype a game.

People now use the time to find bugs, not report them and use them for personal gain on release.

Whether you wanna call this beta or not...in the MMO world Beta's are not what they used to be. I beta'd Everquest and I was actually honoured to be invited and did my very best to test and report bugs. Money men use beta and the player bases hysterics about getting head starts to generate interest now.
  • neyph69neyph69 Banned Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The truth of the matter is that the term 'Beta' has been hijacked by marketing people to be used purely as a marketing tool to hype a game.

People now use the time to find bugs, not report them and use them for personal gain on release.

Whether you wanna call this beta or not...in the MMO world Beta's are not what they used to be. I beta'd Everquest and I was actually honoured to be invited and did my very best to test and report bugs. Money men use beta and the player bases hysterics about getting head starts to generate interest now.

QFT

The problem with this game isnt the game at all honestly, as i said before, i enjoy it. The problem is the game itself is still in beta stages so thre are many bugs, they are selling it as beta, but they are running it as Live.
  • glidestrife1glidestrife1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As soon as they made the news post about the "open beta [being] a success", it clicked that this isn't a beta. It's a soft launch. If I handed you an apple I grew and told you it was a pear, you'd think I was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, despite the fact that it's my apple (or pear, whatever) and I can call it whatever I want. You'd be right. I'd be both wrong, and kind of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Kind of like anybody arguing that it's a beta "because Cryptic says so".
    edited May 2013
    borneol wrote: »
    Find me a single formal definition that it doesn't.

From techterms

"Beta software refers to computer software that is undergoing testing and has not yet been officially released. The beta phase follows the alpha phase, but precedes the final version. Some beta software is only made available to a select number of users, while other beta programs are released to the general public.

Software developers release beta versions of software in order to garner useful feedback before releasing the final version of a program. They often provide web forums that allow beta testers to post their feedback and discuss their experience using software. Some beta software programs even have a built-in feedback feature that allows users to submit feature requests or bugs directly to the developer.

In most cases, a software developer will release multiple "beta" versions of a program during the beta phase. Each version includes updates and bug fixes that have been made in response to user feedback. The beta phase may last anywhere from a few weeks for a small program to several months for a large program.

Each beta version is typically labeled with the final version number followed by a beta version identifier. For example, the fifth beta release of the second version of a software program may have the version number "2.0b5." If a developer prefers not to list the specific version of a beta program, the version number may simply have the term "(beta)" after the program name, e.g. "My New App (beta)." This naming convention is commonly used for beta versions of websites or web applications.

Since beta software is a pre-release version of the final application, it may be unstable or lack features that will be be included in the final release. Therefore, beta software often comes with a disclaimer that testers should use the software at their own risk. If you choose to beta test a program, be aware that it may not function as expected."

From wikipedia:

Beta [edit]
    Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.
    The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.
    Open and closed beta [edit]
    Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version. Examples of a major public beta test are:
    In September 2000 a boxed version of Apple's Mac OS X Public Beta operating system was released.[3]
    Microsoft's release of community technology previews (CTPs) for "Longhorn" in January 2005.[4]
    Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

From PC MAG

Definition of:beta version

A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to try under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing inhouse and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as a result.

Beta testing is imperative when writing software because developers are too close to their products, and fresh eyes are essential. In addition, for Windows developers especially, it is impossible to duplicate the myriad configurations of PC hardware/software that exist, and beta versions test for potential conflicts as much as usability. In more closed environments such as the Mac and mobile phone platforms, beta testing is less about coexistence with other software and more about functionality and ease of use, the latter a long-standing joke in this industry (see user interface). See alpha test, beta test, release candidate and dogfooding.

You asked for one, I delivered 3.
  • glidestrife1glidestrife1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From techterms

"Beta software refers to computer software that is undergoing testing and has not yet been officially released. The beta phase follows the alpha phase, but precedes the final version. Some beta software is only made available to a select number of users, while other beta programs are released to the general public.

Software developers release beta versions of software in order to garner useful feedback before releasing the final version of a program. They often provide web forums that allow beta testers to post their feedback and discuss their experience using software. Some beta software programs even have a built-in feedback feature that allows users to submit feature requests or bugs directly to the developer.

In most cases, a software developer will release multiple "beta" versions of a program during the beta phase. Each version includes updates and bug fixes that have been made in response to user feedback. The beta phase may last anywhere from a few weeks for a small program to several months for a large program.

Each beta version is typically labeled with the final version number followed by a beta version identifier. For example, the fifth beta release of the second version of a software program may have the version number "2.0b5." If a developer prefers not to list the specific version of a beta program, the version number may simply have the term "(beta)" after the program name, e.g. "My New App (beta)." This naming convention is commonly used for beta versions of websites or web applications.

Since beta software is a pre-release version of the final application, it may be unstable or lack features that will be be included in the final release. Therefore, beta software often comes with a disclaimer that testers should use the software at their own risk. If you choose to beta test a program, be aware that it may not function as expected."

From wikipedia:

Beta [edit]
    Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.
    The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.
    Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version. Examples of a major public beta test are:
    In September 2000 a boxed version of Apple's Mac OS X Public Beta operating system was released.[3]
    Microsoft's release of community technology previews (CTPs) for "Longhorn" in January 2005.[4]
    Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

From PC MAG

A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to try under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing inhouse and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as a result.

Beta testing is imperative when writing software because developers are too close to their products, and fresh eyes are essential. In addition, for Windows developers especially, it is impossible to duplicate the myriad configurations of PC hardware/software that exist, and beta versions test for potential conflicts as much as usability. In more closed environments such as the Mac and mobile phone platforms, beta testing is less about coexistence with other software and more about functionality and ease of use, the latter a long-standing joke in this industry (see user interface). See alpha test, beta test, release candidate and dogfooding.

Wins the thread. Also quoting it all, because it's the only thing that deserves to be in this thread.
  • zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The BETA is a LIE!!!

Even the 'professionals" know what it really is.
    edited May 2013

Fair enough. Now which one of those is the official truth? Which one of those is not just something that some dude wrote as an explanation of a term. Which one of them is from an agent that gives the permissions required to use the term?

The truth is that there isn't any. This is like Pay 2 Win, it's not defined so everyone gets into semantics over it. But really if nothing but a term is the distinction between open beta and release, then the two are the same thing.
  • doobysnackzdoobysnackz Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    From techterms

From wikipedia:

Beta [edit]

From PC MAG

So the only difference between a launch and a beta test is the label? Thanks. We knew this already...

The fact is that even after an "official release" the fracking games are in an "open beta" according to your own definitions...
    They still have feedback threads on their forums, they still have bug reporting features in game and they still do every fracking thing that this game is currently doing now.

In other words, nothing fracking changes other than the fracking label.

NOT TO MENTION THAT YOU MUST HAVE JUST GLOSSED OVER THE MULTIPLE PHRASES OF "POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS." i.e, not CURRENT CUSTOMERS!

Or, how about this little jewel, "Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release."
    edited May 2013
    borneol wrote: »
    Fair enough. Now which one of those is the official truth? Which one of those is not just something that some dude wrote as an explanation of a term. Which one of them is from an agent that gives the permissions required to use the term?

The truth is that there isn't any. This is like Pay 2 Win, it's not defined so everyone gets into semantics over it. But really if nothing but a term is the distinction between open beta and release, then the two are the same thing.

I just gave you three reputable sources each with an official definition.

Show me just one reputable source that says character wipe is inherently fundamental for a software to be deemed in beta version and without such is no longer considered beta.