The difference between need and greed

124»

Comments

• sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always pass on things that are red, as in my class cannot use,
    greed on things I can,
    and need on things I can't give up and really need

But then when you have someone in the party constantly needing things, and greeding things their class can't use (or worse always need no matter what), and never passing;
    whenever that happens,
    I'll still pass on things I can't use, but for things I can use, I need them, if I really want them, because I don't have a chance otherwise
    And all it takes really, is one person pressing need all the time,
    for everyone else to do it too
  • xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Until they implement a system that you cannot roll need on something that isn't for your class, just get used to rolling need on anything you want. No matter what, unless you are in a full pre-made group, someone else, if not all, will be rolling need. Since AD are the source of income and you can exchange them for zen, this will not change any time soon unless Cryptic/PWE makes it change.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Soooo the consensus is.... Need on everything or you lose.??
    For me, it's "If you don't roll need, expect to lose." It's almost like PvP zones - you enter knowing the stakes, so complaining about losing out seems kind of silly.

Advocating for change is good; trying to get other people to play by "the rules" is pointless.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • kaelrigkaelrig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not needing on red items is a given, but what I don't get is the expectation that people are only supposed to need on class specific, definite upgrades and greed or pass everything else due to "etiquette".

I Need on everything I can and will use, and greed on items I would only sell. That's what greed means to me and has meant in every other mmo I've played. If it's an enchantment, yes I will use it eventually, so need. If it's a profession item I will use, yes I will need. If it's a green unidentified item that isn't class specific then I will need because I can use it. I've seen the argument come up that you can't possibly know it's an upgrade so how can you really know if you "Need" it. Does't that work both ways? Plus what's the difference between everyone needing generic items and and everyone greeding them?

I don't get where this idea has come from that it's common courtesy to always greed on generic items I can use, and pass on those I can't. I've spent the last two hours looking up where this supposedly common knowledge comes from, and only come up with a few posts in this forum.

My usual need/greed habits are consistent with the groups 95% of the time, yet rarely will I come across a player who says "Hey stop needing all the greens you jerk" or "It's just bad manners" or some other BS. If you can use the item and want it for whatever reason then bloody well need it, don't greed it out of some made up sense of moral superiority that only exists in your head and then whinge afterwards for losing. If you feel bad about losing the item, then perhaps you should've needed it in the first place? If you don't care about the item and greed/pass then... shut up?
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I prefer the "round robin" method.

In the good ole days people got kind of equal shares and traded afterwards. But since nowadays most haven't even got time for a TFG social interaction(like trading items one on one) is probably too much to expect ;)
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • jacknilljacknill Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't run into any greedy people yet. Worst I've seen is people who always need rings. *shrug*
  • levofedlevofed Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This situation is why guild runs are > to pug runs imo