test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So... its open beta but we won't wipe game breaking bugs?

jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So after so many fanboys on these forums have been using "open beta" as an excuse for all of this games multitudes of problems, how can you even consider making that argument now that after a severe and gamebreaking bug warranted only a 7 hour rollback. This games economy is in shambles and it will remain thoroughly screwed up for at least a year. If open beta really means anything other than "uhh, we want your money but our game isn't ready yet" then how did Cryptic decide not to wipe the servers or at least rollback several days. If beta is an excuse for anything its an excuse to wipe servers when something as severely game breaking as the AH bug occurs.

I'm sure the fanboys will come up with some new excuse to flame me or rationalize how this game is not thoroughly ****ed in their delusional world.

I'm out!
Post edited by jkaplan92 on

Comments

• lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is in Open Beta and game bugs and imbalances are EXPECTED to be found during this test. The game economy has been repaired by the roll backs and individual account bans. Not sure why you are having such difficulty with this issue... /shrug
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Neverwinter is in Open Beta and game bugs and imbalances are EXPECTED to be found during this test. The game economy has been repaired by the roll backs and individual account bans. Not sure why you are having such difficulty with this issue... /shrug

LOL you really think the economy has been repaired? Wow... didn't realize people were that out of touch with reality...

People still have TONS of ad... you think this wasn't going on for more than 7 hours and they're going to track down all the people who exploited it and somehow remove the AD from all of the normal players who benefited via selling items at high prices?
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They clearly deemed it not necessary to roll back that far, their lack of transparency and communication however, is what is really causing all the outrage, folks just can't seem to focus long enough without being blinded by the silly rage of 7 hours lost progress
  • whiteshadow02whiteshadow02 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thing is they announced they wouldn't do anymore server wipes, hence why so many people picked up the game, however in their ToS they state in section 10 that they can infact do a server wipe, they're simply choosing not to, which in the long run of the game is seriously damaging. While they'd lose a large amount of players with a server wipe now, they'd still have a chance to recover, whereas if they keep the game in its current state its going to quickly turn out like GW2 and other mmorpgs along its line.
  • youlookfatyoulookfat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shoulda been a wipe... just sayin:)
    Robb Stark is killed at the Frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolf..
    Jon Snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him...
    Tyrion kills his father with a cross bow...

Can't spoil books that have been out for years.. enjoy the show!!
  • estsuestsu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game lost much more players by not doing the right thing aka wipe..just sayin too
  • ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP has such a strong argument, with the personal attacks/insults five words into his post. I am definitely moved by his argument, and now 100% agree with him. One's argument must be strong if they can't even make it without insulting other people.
  • novoihelvettinovoihelvetti Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Aslong as you see goldsellers selling you AD cheaper then zen ad exchange, you know there is exploited currency in stock.

If you really think the 7h rollback removed it all, maby you want to buy my empty beer can for 5000$? It has a unique dent on it and it might be worth millions in few years.

And if you believe cryptic can track this exploited currency, you probably believe in other supernatural stuff also.
  • ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    estsu wrote: »
    This game lost much more players by not doing the right thing aka wipe..just sayin too

Reality is calling and would like to have a word or two with you. Just sayin'.
  • jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Thing is they announced they wouldn't do anymore server wipes, hence why so many people picked up the game, however in their ToS they state in section 10 that they can infact do a server wipe, they're simply choosing not to, which in the long run of the game is seriously damaging. While they'd lose a large amount of players with a server wipe now, they'd still have a chance to recover, whereas if they keep the game in its current state its going to quickly turn out like GW2 and other mmorpgs along its line.

Exactly. What people don't understand is that A LOT of AD is still in circulation from the exploit and theres no real way for cryptic to find it or justly deal with it without doing a complete wipe. This AD is going to cause serious inflation and the result of this is that players who join the game after the events, or players who didn't profit off of the exploit are going to be unable to purchase highly-sought after items like high tier enchants, tier 2 gear, etc because they will be competing with players who have vastly more AD than them via the exploit. This is going to drive players away and its going to cause the economy to be severely warped for A LONG time. I just don't understand how anyone can argue that the purpose of labeling this game "open beta" is anything more than a way for cryptic to hedge the fact that the game is so obviously not ready to be released. If open beta doesn't justify wiping the game when such a severe bug is discovered then how can it possibly be anything more than a ploy?
  • zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any economic damage done by this will correct itself over the next few months. I do agree and think a full wipe was called for to get a solid correction in place but at the same time I understand not doing it as well.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • cynicalazamacynicalazama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    I understand why they didnt wipe, i would have preferred it but hey, cant always have it your way.

I would personally love it if they opened a new server with the option to start over with all purchases and founder packs reinstated.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    Exactly. What people don't understand is that A LOT of AD is still in circulation from the exploit and theres no real way for cryptic to find it or justly deal with it without doing a complete wipe. This AD is going to cause serious inflation and the result of this is that players who join the game after the events, or players who didn't profit off of the exploit are going to be unable to purchase highly-sought after items like high tier enchants, tier 2 gear, etc because they will be competing with players who have vastly more AD than them via the exploit. This is going to drive players away and its going to cause the economy to be severely warped for A LONG time. I just don't understand how anyone can argue that the purpose of labeling this game "open beta" is anything more than a way for cryptic to hedge the fact that the game is so obviously not ready to be released. If open beta doesn't justify wiping the game when such a severe bug is discovered then how can it possibly be anything more than a ploy?

Wait... you mean people will have to work for their T2 Gear and Enchants? You mean the AH wont be the best way to progress in the game? I'm not seeing the down side here.

Assuming you are correct in there being "A LOT of AD" from the exploits out there, it is not very many people. If you know anything about how game metrics are monitored, Cryptic almost certainly know how much AD is available to the ingame population at any given time. As AD correlates directly with real-world currency via Zen, it will be closely monitored so the AD flow can be adjusted to provide sufficient time-sink while allowing PWE to generate profits.

AD is probably one of the most closely monitored aspects of the game.
  • youlookfatyoulookfat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Imagine the crying about lost AD if they wiped.... mmmm salty tears.....
    Robb Stark is killed at the Frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolf..
    Jon Snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him...
    Tyrion kills his father with a cross bow...

Can't spoil books that have been out for years.. enjoy the show!!
  • dobies4lifedobies4life Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A wipe would be in the games best interest. It would fix the game as well as all the mules from the gold sellers would be gone. they will not sell zen/ad if it is cheaper to buy from gold sellers. They are shooting themselves in the foot, in more ways than one.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL you really think the economy has been repaired? Wow... didn't realize people were that out of touch with reality...

People still have TONS of ad... you think this wasn't going on for more than 7 hours and they're going to track down all the people who exploited it and somehow remove the AD from all of the normal players who benefited via selling items at high prices?

I thought you were out?
  • perkysaurusperkysaurus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they wipe they annoy the entire player base and break their promise of no more wipes. I lost virtually nothing in the rollback though yes if I had leveled to 60 then had it wiped out I might be a little peeved as well. However wiping opens up a can of worms they probably did not want since i would have disputed all the money I spent on the game. Which I am legal allowed to do since my credit card has this little thing in the agreement called the 90 internet return policy. If the company I bought services from does not live up to its end of the verbal agreement. If they do wipe over this it sends a message to all the people like me with more money than time that we have no solutions at hand for any bugs that crop up so best take your money elsewhere. When I was in university playing these type of games the reverse was true and no doubt i might have been one of those on the forums talking about wipes. Now i used this game to recreate old pen and paper chars to relive the fun times when we all have time to burn doing 24hr d&d sessions. The ad exploit does not affect as many people as you thing and I might remind you that the great depression was not cause but the stock market crash if left alone the market would have self corrected it was the government attempts to fix the issue (no doubt in part to all the doomsayers) that spiraled the economy in the depths that become the dirty 30's. The market will survive in this game as well, cryptic has taken the path that is best for the majority of its playerbase. The majority of players never come to the forums and even fewer post.
  • thesuperdthesuperd Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The economic impact of the exploit doesn't bug me as much as the fact that all dungeon bosses are exactly the same. Running dungeons is what I like to do in an MMO, and I've never seen one with such boring lack of variety in its dungeon bosses.

Just saying that the inflated economy isn't the worst issue in the game to all players.
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Wait... you mean people will have to work for their T2 Gear and Enchants? You mean the AH wont be the best way to progress in the game? I'm not seeing the down side here.

I have no interest in playing a watered down version of WoW where you have to team up with people in order to get the best gear. The fact that clerics are mandatory and there being no guarantee of a cleric being on your PUG team makes it that much worse (LFG = chore, guild = never enough lvl 60s of the right combination on at same time). Pretty sure they advertised this game as 'venture alone or together' meaning it should be possible to get stuff like ancient daggers solo. Any other method of making AD besides doing T2 dungeons are slow in comparison - so slow that the price at which best items go up per day is more than the amount of AD you make per day by playing the game legitimately (doing anything other than T2 dungeons). Seems legit? Not rly lol...
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every single person that signed on to play the game did so with the knowledge that the game was released as an open beta product. What if the game was released as a final product? You same people calling for a wipe would've ranted and raved that the game is a beta product.
  • dobies4lifedobies4life Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they wipe they annoy the entire player base and break their promise of no more wipes. I lost virtually nothing in the rollback though yes if I had leveled to 60 then had it wiped out I might be a little peeved as well. However wiping opens up a can of worms they probably did not want since i would have disputed all the money I spent on the game. Which I am legal allowed to do since my credit card has this little thing in the agreement called the 90 internet return policy. If the company I bought services from does not live up to its end of the verbal agreement. If they do wipe over this it sends a message to all the people like me with more money than time that we have no solutions at hand for any bugs that crop up so best take your money elsewhere. When I was in university playing these type of games the reverse was true and no doubt i might have been one of those on the forums talking about wipes. Now i used this game to recreate old pen and paper chars to relive the fun times when we all have time to burn doing 24hr d&d sessions. The ad exploit does not affect as many people as you thing and I might remind you that the great depression was not cause but the stock market crash if left alone the market would have self corrected it was the government attempts to fix the issue (no doubt in part to all the doomsayers) that spiraled the economy in the depths that become the dirty 30's. The market will survive in this game as well, cryptic has taken the path that is best for the majority of its playerbase. The majority of players never come to the forums and even fewer post.

If they wipe and your new character has all the zen you paid for, you have no claim. You still have your purchased goods. the great depression got worse when more money was printed. Just like more AD will make in game economy worse by lowering the value of the currency. but wiping the Ad will restore the market to a zero balance for growth. just as a country can default on its debt,take a credit hit, and restore value to its currency . Credit will effect borrowing rates. but then this leads to the whole corrupt federal reserve system. Which is a whole seperate ball of wax.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »
    I have no interest in playing a watered down version of WoW where you have to team up with people in order to get the best gear

Sounds like MMOs in general are not what you are looking for. Maybe you should try NWN2
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

People still have TONS of ad...
    Which has nothing to do with an exploit. If they were to wipe, people would have tons of AD on day 1, all over again.
    You know how you judge whether or not people have "tons of AD?" The exchange. It was never as high as it was when Open Beta started (500:1). All due to the founder's packs.

Basically people are crying about a ruined economy when the economy started bad and slowly got better as the AD already out there started to spread out. The economy can't be "ruined" by improving. A wipe just starts that process over where everyone complains... about how there is too much AD and it is too expensive to by Zen.

So yeah. the economy is better now than it was at the start of Open Beta. Your complaints require a belief in an unfounded presupposition.
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand why they didnt wipe, i would have preferred it but hey, cant always have it your way.

I would personally love it if they opened a new server with the option to start over with all purchases and founder packs reinstated.

I was initially one of the players that was in favour of a rollback but now it transparently clear that the 7 hours wasn't nearly long enough and that's before the Auction House has even come back online.

The current servers are a mess & if it wasn't for the fact they plan to merge all the shards then the option of a new unexploited shard for players who don't want to play amongst the corruption would be a fantastic idea.
  • cynicalazamacynicalazama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    I was initially one of the players that was in favour of a rollback but now it transparently clear that the 7 hours wasn't nearly long enough and that's before the Auction House has even come back online.

The current servers are a mess & if it wasn't for the fact they plan to merge all the shards then the option of a new unexploited shard for players who don't want to play amongst the corruption would be a fantastic idea.

Yes, i understand they will merge eventually, however, they could keep them separate, i really feel that this exploit hasn't fully reared its head and once the AH goes back, we will really see just how much has been going on for a long time. I know its flogging a dead horse but i feel if any integrity is to be kept in this company, they should clamp down and isolate these issues now an wipe. I do however know it wont happen.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perfectworld's site says the game is live. Look for yourself on the "perfect world" icon on the top left of your browser window.

O is for Open Beta, L is for Live. Wish people would give up on the open beta argument.
  • kimeo1kimeo1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dat cry ... actually u wonder why ppl have so much AD ??? i've heard ppl buy ZEN in the Shop and convert it into AD :O :O :O
    man really wake up.
    u need no exploits for it.

a full wipe would knockout this game, a rollback not.

the dev's have done a great job so far!
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So after so many fanboys on these forums have been using "open beta" as an excuse for all of this games multitudes of problems, how can you even consider making that argument now that after a severe and gamebreaking bug warranted only a 7 hour rollback. This games economy is in shambles and it will remain thoroughly screwed up for at least a year. If open beta really means anything other than "uhh, we want your money but our game isn't ready yet" then how did Cryptic decide not to wipe the servers or at least rollback several days. If beta is an excuse for anything its an excuse to wipe servers when something as severely game breaking as the AH bug occurs.

I'm sure the fanboys will come up with some new excuse to flame me or rationalize how this game is not thoroughly ****ed in their delusional world.

I'm out!

Beta is just a term to define the state that the software is in. Some beta software is only made available to a select number of users, while other beta programs are released to the general public. In most cases, a software developer will release multiple "beta" versions of a program during the beta phase. Each version includes updates and bug fixes that have been made in response to user feedback. The beta phase may last anywhere from a few weeks for a small program to several months for a large program.

The term beta implies that the software needs further development before it reaches it's release phase. Some companies will offer beta for free while others may charge for early or any access. Some companies may charge during the entire beta phase.

You are confusing the term "beta" to mean free. Beta is simply a way of defining what state the software is in. If a company chooses to do a soft release open beta, e.g. no character wipe. This should never be confused as a Full Released version of the software. Beta is only defining what state the software is in. Crashes, instabilities, bugs are inherent in beta.

This is why the game is in beta. Although you may feel this game is not beta because it does not follow certain aspects of most mmo. It is beta due to the fact it has crashes, bugs and instability. If you do not like Beta wait for the full release version of the game.
  • hustadinhustadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get over ur head, it's "OPEN" Beta, no matter how mess is it, deal with it, and never let this situation happen again! I would agree to wiped it but the problem is, if they did it, this game wouldn't be a professional, it will more like "Private server".
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    People forget that this is a free game.

What does this mean?

I would have 30+ accounts to spread my ill gotten gains around.

Most of the folks that are exploiting...THIS IS NOT THEIR FIRST TIME.

They learn how to cover tracks better than 99% of the folks that can write a query to gauge the damage.

A company that refuses to wipe a server that is in BETA means they only care about money and not the welfare of the general population.