test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Designing Caves

fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hey there. I'm still rather new to the foundry. I'm trying to create a cave map, but it has multiple levels. How can I specify whether I want something to spawn on upper layers or bottom layers of the same map?
Post edited by fcrowles on

Comments

• Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Change the Y-coordinate of whatever you want to spawn. Spawn them a few feet above the floor to be safe.
  • Options
    fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Is there a way to pull up my current coordinates in game when I play test it to see what I need to change it to?
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best way I have found to change Y Coordinate items (specially if you can walk to that location) is place the item on ground/easy place-able area and then Copy/Paste it in the new location.
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fcrowles wrote: »
    Is there a way to pull up my current coordinates in game when I play test it to see what I need to change it to?

Type /locvec and it will give the coordinates of where you are standing.
  • Options
    iakkyiakky Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I mostly do this in 3D design...
    I put thing on the map.. they all 0-Y at the start... 0-Y is mostly like level of doors. After I place the objects all over the cave I go there and turn on 3D design and I just move those objects on the right places. Using 3D design is good anyway when you are kind of faultfinder like me then you will find your self spending a lot of time in 3D design and placing objects in to exact spot you want.
    But be aware when you duplicate objects then those objects has the same stats... So if you duplicate object with -20 Y (means its lower then normal) and you will place it in some normal terrain like house room which has consistent flat ground then you will have that object -20 feets bellow the ground so when you will not find it there in room... That is the logic of that. When you test and you come to place where should be some object and that object is not there then just switch to 3D design and find it. You can advance your distance view there also and see object very far... After some time you will start to orient well and you will know which object is what (in 3D) even though you dont see them....
    Only thing that pisses me off is that when you point out on some animated object in 3D design then it looses its animation/effect.. for example light stops to ligh so there is dark.. I find this very bad because often I need to place some torch or something in to dark place and when I point that torch it stops to produce light and I see nothing.. so I place it wrong way or something.... Or when you need effect to be in exact position with some other object in esthetic way... then you need to switch between test and 3D design all the time to place it the right way (if you are not lucky to place it goo right on the start).. sometimes its easy sometimes not.. You will get to know objects soon and you will start to feel how they are large and how you shoudl place them...
    And in cave be careful on filling the rooms with generated content.. It may often block the way you want to be open and it changes cave so much that it may be hard for start to orient there...
    ID: NW-DBYLAUS93
    ID:NW-DCNH66D94