test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Profession Common Asset to Uncommon Asset Upgrading

morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Right now in most/all of the Professions currently, you can not upgrade common assets to uncommon assets via the task system. You have to aquire them via the profession bags like those from the zen store that list assets and not resources. If this isn't a bug or oversight and bad implementation, I am creating this thread to see the votes for correcting this feature.
Post edited by morbic on

Comments

• Options
    sathalesssathaless Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have the devs said anything about the plans for this in the future? You should be able to upgrade everything with enough time/effort.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the other ones are just faster . and they generally come from the zen shop . So no . They are a convenience and that's where they make the money. Shure it would be easy for me to say yes , because I craft . But no , I can't want the convenience items I use to be free and the ones you want to cost zen .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    People assets lower time, but tools improve quality.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    one of the tasks also requires you to do one with 100% speed, this si only possible with blues and above which are ONLY obtainable from the paid bags.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm torn on it. I think you should be able to get green assets from upgrading, and blue and epic ones from the bags. However, I just spent 1600 Zen ($16) on the assets bag, and I got two green tailors and one green leatherworker (10%), and one blue resource. If I could purchase assets directly, for a specific profession, I think I would prefer this over having to spend half the cost of a mount on a chance to get a random asset, especially when you can get only green ones, as was the case for me.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you figure most of the people and tool assets are all 18hour durations for a 4-1 combine, I figure a lot of people would still try the asset packs from the zen store just to cut out most of the time it would take to perform all those tasks. Especially, when all the asset oriented tasks give no profession exp currently.
  • Options
    angeloburton123angeloburton123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo: you can already buy specific assets via the Auction House. Next time you decide to spend money, invest it in the Zen -> AD exchange and get exactly what you want and need from the Auction House.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo: you can already buy specific assets via the Auction House. Next time you decide to spend money, invest it in the Zen -> AD exchange and get exactly what you want and need from the Auction House.

I wanted to see what is in those bags. :) But I did check the AH, and the purple assets cost about 1.3M AD on average. At today's exchange rate this equals $35 for one asset. Granted, that's probably smarter than getting two of the packs for roughly the same money, but you do get more than one at least, even if it may only be green or blue.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bismar7 wrote: »
    one of the tasks also requires you to do one with 100% speed, this si only possible with blues and above which are ONLY obtainable from the paid bags.
    Or auction house for relatively low cost..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just performed my first Rank 2 4>1 upgrade and I'm already starting to think he should get a 5% speed boost on Rank 1 tasks bringing him up to 10% on them since he takes 72 hours total to make without spending zen. Then the Rank 3 guy which will take 288 hours total from scratch should get %5 speed bonus on Rank 2 tasks and 10% more speed bonus on Rank 1 bringing the Rank 2 up to 10% and Rank 1 to 15%.
  • Options
    saracin4504saracin4504 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love how people keep saying how being able to upgrade whites to green is free. Let's say I want a green hammer, that would take 4 white ones that I would use ingame gold to buy. Then I can finally upgrade to a blue hammer, which would mean 3 more green hammers, which would mean 12 more white ones. Do you see what I'm getting at? It's not free, there is a lot of time and gold spent doing this, and I haven't even gotten to the purples yet!! Plus there is very little use right now for gold, so this would give us a reason to waste some of our money besides being coal/thread/whatever.

Now of course there's the workers, who only really cost us time, but they could add another step between say Assistant Platesmith and Platesmith to upgrade them and require some rare item or something. Maybe require a hammer of equal rarity, this way it's not so free anymore.
  • Options
    blightedbishopblightedbishop Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    the other ones are just faster . and they generally come from the zen shop . So no . They are a convenience and that's where they make the money. Shure it would be easy for me to say yes , because I craft . But no , I can't want the convenience items I use to be free and the ones you want to cost zen .

The convenience from getting, say, a green people asset from the bag is that you wouldn't need to hire 64 rank 1s, upgrade them into 16 rank 2s, upgrade them again into 4 rank 3s, then upgrade it again into one rank 4. Save you, uh, 1530 hours of a profession slot you can't use. That's just for one green asset.

I think that's enough of a convenience to make people buy them.
  • Options
    pasainpasain Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    The convenience from getting, say, a green people asset from the bag is that you wouldn't need to hire 64 rank 1s, upgrade them into 16 rank 2s, upgrade them again into 4 rank 3s, then upgrade it again into one rank 4. Save you, uh, 1530 hours of a profession slot you can't use. That's just for one green asset.

I think that's enough of a convenience to make people buy them.

I agree with blightedbishop

I would love to see non zen rare assets available from a crafters perspective. I was a nub when I first started crafting and looked up the list and saw the rare combines to upgrade, and assumed I could upgrade my own in the future. With the greyed out cover it was difficult to notice I couldn't actually upgrade whites to greens etc.

The profession bags are kind of expensive considering you don't get any choice in what you receive. I did decide to support the game and buy some thou, and scooped a couple up off the AH when I could afford. I could actually exchange my AD/zen for them.. Except I haven't been doing alot of the high AD reward dailies due to time and not wanting to out level a friend. This is what I plan to do in the future. So I am kind of torn too.. I would like crafting to be a viable means of making AD.

Crafting has been abit of a money sink so far, Although I am getting towards the higher levels perhaps the profits will become more favourable.. except now I need quality assets to make high yield items.. tier 2 and tier 3 items etc. I am not sure how much luck is involved once you actually have maxed assets is it even possible to have 100% chance on tier 3 item?

So my vote goes to assets being available from in game upgrades, with a qualifier thou.. Keep the speed items store only and let the quality ones be upgradeable from whites. You potentially need 3 anyway.. hammer chisel tongs for mail smith etc. That is alot of upgrades/time
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Speed items in the zen shop and quality from zen or upgradable in-game sounds fine by me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Voting no, if only because high QL profession tools aren't a requirement to begin with. Yes, admittedly you can't get certain QL items from professions without said tools, and would result in a slight sort of P2W, but F2P players aren't supposed to be privileged. To those complaining about how you can't get crafting slots without paid items: Many F2P games with crafting limit you to 1-2 crafting slot2 without paying for more, similar to bag space. More crafting slots is just yet another convenience.

It's not like you can't enjoy crafting as it is anyway even without those items.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Yes please!

I love crafting in every game and I have to say paying $3 to gamble on getting a good asset isn't exactly something I enjoy. I think the Tier 3 Assets should be able to be upgraded into uncommon. Considering all the time it would take to get four tier 3 common assets I don't see how this would be unfair.

Heck maybe make them require 8 Common Tier 3 to upgrade. It likely would be cheaper, in AD, to purchase an uncommon asset at that point.

The other option would be to maybe add Profession Assets into the Blessed Professions Pack and limit them that way.
    Either way I think they should be more common and accessible to every person than a $3 Gamble. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I love crafting in every game and I have to say paying $3 to gamble on getting a good asset isn't exactly something I enjoy.

Can you actually get people assets from the 300 Zen packs? I had been under the impression that you can only get people assets from the 1600 Zen packs, so I never tried the 300 ones and instead bought green and blue ones on the AH.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    You can get them from the 300 Zen packs. That's actually where I got most of mine.

Master Mailsmith, Master Platesmith, Iron Hammer and An Steel Chisel (I think)

But after I spent 15 dollars in Zen (via freebies and Zen Exchanges) I accepted that I was probably better off just buying the uncommon assets from the Auction House for 10-30K AD a pop.

Yes I do actually get to peel myself away from the forums every once in a while. :p
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. Not only no, but Hells no. I spent a pretty penny on Zen store asset packs because that was the only reasonable method of acquiring green or better profession assets. If Cryptic pulls this kind of eleventh hour switch, I'll be wanting a refund.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is really nice to see people started this thread to a possible change but i think it is intended and there's a reason fo it.You see, the shop at the moment doesn't sell anything which makes the game P2W (no matter how others try to prove it).As it is now their ONLY income from the shop is by selling TIME and some fancy stuff that,s all.Now if they let us upgrade normal grey assets into uncommon ones n so forth they will drastically going to lose sales on the proffesion packages.Me as a player of course i would like to have this option (who doesn't lol?) but to be honest, if we see why it is implanted this way we will see it is for business reasons.
    I don't think they will let this happen (can't blame them) because that's 50% of their income which as i mentioned selling time.The other 50% is selling fancy stuff and items that gives you more comfort (like more space,inventory slot etc.).Again it would be nice, but asking them to abandon 50% of their income well...i don't see it would be happen anytime soon.
    Besides i'm grateful for the shop as it is now and this is NOT smoozing (even if it seems).Currently there's nothing it the shop which gives paying players advantage above non paying players (except time),no OP weapons,armor,buffing potions,or any kind of benefit which favors the paying customers.So don't take away their income options otherwise they have to come up a much worse idea to gain some profit.Be gald that they really tried to balance out the differences between paying and non paying customers.
    Thx for listening :).
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes please!

I love crafting in every game and I have to say paying $3 to gamble on getting a good asset isn't exactly something I enjoy. I think the Tier 3 Assets should be able to be upgraded into uncommon. Considering all the time it would take to get four tier 3 common assets I don't see how this would be unfair.

It may look like it requires a ton of time to rank up a bunch of whites to tier 3, but you're ignoring the ability of people to just create endless numbers of accounts for asset farming.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    No. Not only no, but Hells no. I spent a pretty penny on Zen store asset packs because that was the only reasonable method of acquiring green or better profession assets. If Cryptic pulls this kind of eleventh hour switch, I'll be wanting a refund.
    This!
    elessym wrote: »
    It may look like it requires a ton of time to rank up a bunch of whites to tier 3, but you're ignoring the ability of people to just create endless numbers of accounts for asset farming.
    And this! Totally forgot the farming side,yes this adds another problem to the existing ones.
  • Options
    bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Um...why are you incapable of buying them on the AH?
    I have both an uncommon Leadership and Tailor asset, could buy a few more but didn't really need them yet.
    I don't think that getting them through normal tasks should be possible. I also don't spend money on the game. Bam.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sejo77 wrote: »
    It is really nice to see people started this thread to a possible change but i think it is intended and there's a reason fo it.You see, the shop at the moment doesn't sell anything which makes the game P2W (no matter how others try to prove it).As it is now their ONLY income from the shop is by selling TIME and some fancy stuff that,s all.Now if they let us upgrade normal grey assets into uncommon ones n so forth they will drastically going to lose sales on the proffesion packages.Me as a player of course i would like to have this option (who doesn't lol?) but to be honest, if we see why it is implanted this way we will see it is for business reasons.
    I don't think they will let this happen (can't blame them) because that's 50% of their income which as i mentioned selling time.The other 50% is selling fancy stuff and items that gives you more comfort (like more space,inventory slot etc.).Again it would be nice, but asking them to abandon 50% of their income well...i don't see it would be happen anytime soon.
    Besides i'm grateful for the shop as it is now and this is NOT smoozing (even if it seems).Currently there's nothing it the shop which gives paying players advantage above non paying players (except time),no OP weapons,armor,buffing potions,or any kind of benefit which favors the paying customers.So don't take away their income options otherwise they have to come up a much worse idea to gain some profit.Be gald that they really tried to balance out the differences between paying and non paying customers.
    Thx for listening :).

*eyeroll* the tier 3 crafted items REQUIRE at least a +101% quality bonus from the crafting assets to have a 1% chance to be t3, this would MEAN that you MUST have all blues, or blues/purples while crafting it to even HOPE to craft the t3 version of the gear you craft.

+1-100% is the 1-100% chance it's t2
    +101-200% is it 1-100% chance it's t3

t3 crafts sockets into it.........

......... so yes, blue assets not available to FtP = PtW. (at least on the non-person assets, since the people are only a time bonus they would not be a PtW asset)
  • Options
    lorentzo02lorentzo02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think footman make in to man at arms to:)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lorentzo02 wrote: »
    i think footman make in to man at arms to:)

I would swear I seen the assignment for that, but the last few days I have not seen it.... maybe it was a rare assignment that only shows up every now and then.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I would swear I seen the assignment for that, but the last few days I have not seen it.... maybe it was a rare assignment that only shows up every now and then.

It'd be nice if that was the case but it's not.
    Common assets can only be upgraded into common assets. Uncommon Assets can be upgraded into rare and epic assets.

This is an intentional limitation but it's honestly a bit much to request 3 dollars for a *chance* to get those assets. They should be more accessible in some way IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This is an intentional limitation but it's honestly a bit much to request 3 dollars for a *chance* to get those assets. They should be more accessible in some way IMO.

They were, but that was fixed. :D*ducks and runs*

I agree that the 300 Zen booster pack should always contained 1 guaranteed green people asset, with a small chance for a blue one, The 1600 Zen pack should contain 1 (or 2?) guaranteed blue people assets with a chance for a purple one. This would at least make me more likely to spend money on those, at least on the 300 Zen ones. I would find the 16000 Zen packs too expensive unless you are guaranteed a purple asset every time. 1600 Zen yielded about 600k AD on Friday and that is the price of purple assets in the AH.
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sejo77 wrote: »
    It is really nice to see people started this thread to a possible change but i think it is intended and there's a reason fo it.You see, the shop at the moment doesn't sell anything which makes the game P2W (no matter how others try to prove it).

Does it sell things that give you advantages you can't earn in game ?

Yes it does.

It's pay 2 win end of story.

Personally the pay 2 win thing bothers me very little about this game. The troublesome thing is the number of people that need to fool themselves about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It'd be nice if that was the case but it's not.
    Common assets can only be upgraded into common assets. Uncommon Assets can be upgraded into rare and epic assets.

ya, I was thinking that I simply missread it when it was still grey from not lvled up enough to do assignment

I belive it was actualy the 4xguard > 1xfootman that I seen but thought it was 1x man at arms (because that was the only assignment I seen footmen for, and simply figured the obvios... guard = t2, and man at arms = t3 (with blue/purple simply "advanced t3"