test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A GWF's journey

briarrabriarra Member Posts: 49
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So, as I look over the forums, I see the most 'this class sucks' posts are directed at the GWF. I've seen good players of all the classes as I've played my GF, so I decided I'd give GWF a try and see what I think. I'm going to use this thread as a running diary of how I do, what choices I make, and now effective she turns out to be. I'll also talk about abilities and what I think about them for people who don't (and do!), play GWF.

I went with halfling, for two real reasons. One, I don't think many people would, and two, I like the idea of her swinging a sword as big as she is! So, for those reasons, Valora, halfling GWF, was born. She has 16/16/16 for Str/Con/Dex which I don't think is bad.

I have chosen to not look over ant GWF guides, so I very well may make mistakes as I go, but I want to see what I think rather then follow someone else. That's not saying Guides are bad, I read them often for my GF and guides on these forums are well written and useful.

I play on Mindflayer, so other players there can feel free to PM if they like the guide, or to offer advice.

Levels 1 to 5: The beach through Honor.

The first five levels, as we all know, are super fast and not hard. They are an effective, quick, tutorial on our basic abilities. Those abilities are:

At Will:

Sure Strike: This is the first basic attack, a few swings in an arc, then an overhand attack. It's not bad, it's not great. I like cleave more, but, for a basic attack, it's fine.

Reaping Strike: I don't get this at all. It's a power up attack, that takes away movement, in a game that prizes movement. It seems out of place to me. I've used it, to try and get a feel for it, but I don't like it at this point. Maybe other GWF can chime in and tell me if it's good, or am I right and it sucks.

Encounter:

Not So Fast: This is a 360 degree attack that does damage and applies a brief slow effect. Useful, and not a bad first encounter power.

Daily:

Spinning Strike: This is a whirlwind attack. You spin around, get a move speed buff, and lawn mower mobs down. It's fun! I put my first power point, at level 5, here, so it's at level 2.

Class feature:

Destroyer: It's a passive that gives a 2 percent stackable damage buff (it stacks 3 times), whenever you hit 3 or more mobs with an attack. Later points increase the bonus. While I don't think it's a PvP viable feature, it's definately good for PvE.

Thoughts so far: I think GF is more mobile at low level thus far, but GWF is not bad.

Next: Off to Blacklake.
Post edited by briarra on

Comments

• snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, this is certain to provide some entertainment. Please keep it up.
  • ergophobianergophobian Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Mail yourself a Cleric pet at level 5. Helps a lot.
  • briarrabriarra Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Mail yourself a Cleric pet at level 5. Helps a lot.

I hadn't thought about that, I might have to do it. I was pondering using the wizard at 16, since potions aren't that expensive, but mailing a pet is an interesting idea.

Blacklake and the kobold sewer after it, got me from 5 to 10. One death, coming out of the wererat sewer and into a Nasher pat, but, that was funny more than anything. Overall, GWF is going smoothly. It feels a little slower on the kills than a GF, but nothing super slow.

At 6 and 7, I upgraded Sure Strike and Not So Fast to Rank 2.

At 8, I picked up Restoring Strike. It's a single target attack, but it hits much harder than other GFF attacks, and it heals and restores Stamina based on damage done. The heal looks to be about 20 percent of the damage you do. Not amazing healing, at this level, but it's free, and the attack itself crushes single mobs. I also ran the skirmish. GF, DC, 2 TRs and me. I came in 3rd in damage (11, 405), about 2k behind 1 TR and way behind the other. I was second in kills at 42, with the higher TR at 45, so, overall, I don't think I did poorly. TRs have much higher damage output, after all, and I was competetive.

At 9, I kicked destroyer up to rank 2, I like it as a passive, and it should be up a lot against the big orc packs in Tower District.

At 10, I picked up Unstobbable, the GFW Tab ability. GWF build up Determination which powers Unstoppble. When active, we're immune to CC, gain Damage Resistance based on how much Determination we had, and our at wills hit faster, but for less damage. I'm curious to see how it plays. I added 1 each to Str and Con, picked up a new Daily, Slam, which is an AoE with a slow so I can test it (though Spinning is really fun), and put the feat point into Disciple of Strength for the damage boost it gives.

I also picked up the level 10 blues you can buy for silver. I think that'll give me a performance boost.

I'm finding GWF to be decent at this point. I'm not seeing the terrible, but maybe it's still coming.

Next up - orcs and Tower District.
  • holygobholygob Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now play a TR and write a story.
    Begin with I hold down that left click button and never let go. I am level 60
  • snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    holygob wrote: »
    Now play a TR and write a story.
    Begin with I hold down that left click button and never let go. I am level 60

Now now, be nice. After all it's not so bad, he's only died once so far...before level 10.
  • xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reaping Strike hits like a truck and gives bonus determination when hit. I even occasionally use it against single targets to get my Determination up that much faster. Works great for those Orcs with the Multihit AoE Cone (Taskmasters.)

The only real downsides are the very slow movement and Unstoppable doesn't allow it to charge faster.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Get to 60 GWF then quit and wait a few months for Cryptic to come buff this class when they realize nobody is playing this class as the skills DO NOT scale well. As a DPS class our single target ability blow chunks, as an AOE melee DPS our AOE is worse than CW, hell the tank does better AOE dmg. To top off this broken cherry, GWF has some lengthy skill animation as well and what's worse you are kinda stuck immobile while waiting for the animation to finish. While there are some animation cancelling technique (namely the use of sprint) which is the most laughable and weak of all SHIFT POWERS as it doesn't really help you in anyway except for use as an animation cancelling technique. Every other class's shift powers give some form of evasion and damage migitation but not ours... we run away... apparently that's what we do best in PvP.

On the other hand, our equipment is dirt cheap and in low demand (I was able to equip it in full set of T1 Epics for less than 100K AD) because when Cryptic looks at all the statical numbers barely anyone is playing GWF while everyone is playing TR, CW. This is how broken class balance is in this game.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Next episode: Briarra reaches level 30. He finds out he cannot even kill the adds in the boss room (which is the only only very small role a gwf may have in a dungeon party). It's not really a matter of mob strength, it's just they are jumping all over the place at light speed and the gwf is Melee. In solo dungeons he will discover that his cleric pet can't keep him alive any more. Bye skirmish, bye foundry, bye dungeons. Briarra will the try PvP. Here to his surprise he will find out that
    Against GFs he hits for 50 and gets hit for 1000
    Against rogues he's watching a jolly jumper hopping around him removing HP by the ton while he is permanently dazed
    Against mages it's just amazing how many ways they have to kill him and that it's not just about control. There is range too, and devastating power.
    Against priests he hies from exhaustion, hitting with what has the skin of a 2H sword but is actually a wet towel, while the priest yawns, and catst a healing spell on himself once in a while.
    English is not my first language.
    edited May 2013
    Now now, be nice. After all it's not so bad, he's only died once so far...before level 10.

He's a she :). And it's up to two deaths, but the second one was funny. I jumped off the tavern tower for the achievement, and had a sliver too few hp. So I fall, get the achivement, hit the ground, and died.
  • kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I played 1-60. I had zero problems leveling a GWF. Sure I drank some potions, leaned on my cleric companion a bit but I felt like I was never really "stuck". PvPing also gives great experience as well and I just pvp'd my way to 60 once I hit 56 or so.

Just get equipment that has power and you're pretty much set.
    edited May 2013
    xelqypla wrote: »
    Reaping Strike hits like a truck and gives bonus determination when hit. I even occasionally use it against single targets to get my Determination up that much faster. Works great for those Orcs with the Multihit AoE Cone (Taskmasters.)

The only real downsides are the very slow movement and Unstoppable doesn't allow it to charge faster.

I do understand the intent with Reaping Strike, and it worked well against the Hexer's in Blacklake. My concern is the lack of mobility, given the very mobile nature of the game. Still, I'll keep playing around with it, since it'll be a while until I get a new at will.

I do have a question about Slam. The tooltip seems to say it's one attack, but in play, it seems to have a series of pulses, making it multi attacks. Does it make more than one attack, or was I seeing things?
  • hertruelovehertruelove Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Slam is (afaik) the best daily power we have, it ticks away the damage written on the tooltip (each tick is for the tooltip's damage) and it allows you to continue and dish your normal damage. I haven't counted the ticks yet, but there are enough :)
  • fordrainefordraine Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reaping Strike...

Unstoppable makes Reaping Strike charge easily twice, if not 3x as fast.
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fordraine wrote: »
    Unstoppable makes Reaping Strike charge easily twice, if not 3x as fast.

What this guy said.

Don't pay attention to the animation. Watch the charge bar. You'll get a full bar before the animation hits the 2nd "charging" flash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldwaysreturnoldwaysreturn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    I have a level 42 GWF I have been leveling a few hours a week. I have only died once (pve of corse) that was from missing a jump <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> around and falling off the world. I have done every skirmish and every dungeon other wise I solo in pve. Keep your weapon up to date more then anything.

In dungeons I am usually in first to third place damage depending on if people are rushing forward just to tag mobs. I have even been the "tank" in a few runs.

In pvp I have had no problems soloing most rogues/cws. Tanks can beat us if they are smart about blocking and healers can be a pain if they are good. Learn when to use stuns/knock back dont just spam encounters.

Learn to sprint away from rogues cc and they become a joke to kill (they jump into the air you sprint away). People expect the GWF to be a dps machine but you need to play it like an attrition class. Juke other players encounters, move around, dont just stand toe to toe, make them work for their hits. We have the best mobility of any class in game (IMO) make 3 or 4 people chase you and let your team back cap. If you can not win the 1v1 your locked in sprint away grab a pot and come back between determination buff (unable to be cc'ed) and sprint none except another GWf can catch you.

So far I am hard pressed to see what all the complaining is about (up to 42). This could all change at 60 so I am not claiming anything end game just giving my view as to this level. I ramble a little more about pvp cause lets be honest pve in this game is a joke like most others it is not hard.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Wait till you hit 50+ and you start dropping like flies to dungeon bosses. I didn't die till like 50+ and your mail armor is like toilet tissue... some dungeon bosses will still punch thru it and hit you with an attack that takes 40-50% of your HP in one punch.
  • infracinfrac Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a level 42 GWF I have been leveling a few hours a week. I have only died once (pve of corse) that was from missing a jump <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> around and falling off the world. I have done every skirmish and every dungeon other wise I solo in pve. Keep your weapon up to date more then anything.

In dungeons I am usually in first to third place damage depending on if people are rushing forward just to tag mobs. I have even been the "tank" in a few runs.

In pvp I have had no problems soloing most rogues/cws. Tanks can beat us if they are smart about blocking and healers can be a pain if they are good. Learn when to use stuns/knock back dont just spam encounters.

Learn to sprint away from rogues cc and they become a joke to kill (they jump into the air you sprint away). People expect the GWF to be a dps machine but you need to play it like an attrition class. Juke other players encounters, move around, dont just stand toe to toe, make them work for their hits. We have the best mobility of any class in game (IMO) make 3 or 4 people chase you and let your team back cap. If you can not win the 1v1 your locked in sprint away grab a pot and come back between determination buff (unable to be cc'ed) and sprint none except another GWf can catch you.

So far I am hard pressed to see what all the complaining is about (up to 42). This could all change at 60 so I am not claiming anything end game just giving my view as to this level. I ramble a little more about pvp cause lets be honest pve in this game is a joke like most others it is not hard.

Hahahaha I love it when you evade 90% of their skills they then give them 2 hard hits, they will surrender and run away as fast they can to the next heal potions. Also when you use your sprint to be always on their back, they can't stand a chance since even their at-willst miss xD. Most fun after this happens is when you ask them in Zone chat if rogue is OP...
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately the rogue CC will still hit you by the time you see the animation.
  • oldwaysreturnoldwaysreturn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    Wait till you hit 50+ and you start dropping like flies to dungeon bosses. I didn't die till like 50+ and your mail armor is like toilet tissue... some dungeon bosses will still punch thru it and hit you with an attack that takes 40-50% of your HP in one punch.

If this is true then PWE/Criptic needs to adjust our mitigation. To be honest I think that would fix a lot of the problems with the GWF since we do not have a true dodge we need some kind of boost to our survivability.

(not directed at the quoted person above just added thoughts)
    As a GWF unless you get out of the boss/mob aoe/players attack you eat it. Please don't give me the extra deflect chance while sprinting argument as you still eat the damage just at a reduced rate.
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately the rogue CC will still hit you by the time you see the animation.

You know what hits faster then that... Roar. It is a faster activation.
    Even if they do hit you run around till it wares off. Their ranged skill will not kill you (unless almost dead) and it builds determination very very fast.
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You know what hits faster then that... Roar. It is a faster activation.
    Even if they do hit you run around till it wares off. Their ranged skill will not kill you (unless almost dead) and it builds determination very very fast.

I would like to see a lvl 60 dumbass running pvp setup with roar.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • infracinfrac Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »

Their silence is so easy to evade to be honest, their stealth attack just jump around with some sprint (activate it always for a second) so often they will come out of stealth to hit you with their knife throws.

EVEN your sprint is on cooldown and you cant evade, press your knockdown, IT HITS EVEN they silenced you, after they stood up the silenced is gone and they have 10 seconds cooldown on that...
    edited May 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »

No need to be a ****** bag and start calling names. See you don't like it either.
    He asked for a way to avoid it since he can not seem to sprint out of the way. It works.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Especially the positive ones.

I've done through the Nasher sewer in Tower District, and I'm up to level 13.

At 11, I went to 2/3 in Disciple of Strength, and I picked up Rank 1 in Avalanche of Steel, or I call it, Super Jump! For those who don't play GWF, Avalanche of Steel is a Daily. We leap into the air, and land for massive damage and a knockdown. It's pretty amazing. It's consistently taken down whole at level, undamaged mob groups, with major damage to the tougher ones, like Beastmasters or Taskmasters.

At 12, I finished Disciple of Strength, and got Slam to Rank 2. I also did the Orc Assault skirmish. Besides me, we had another GWF, a CW, a DC, and a GF. We were all 12 or 13, except the GF who was 19. I came in second for kills at 44, the other GWF had 49. I came in 3rd for damage at 36k. The GF had 45k, and the CW destroyed us all at 51k. I think if I'd been 19 I might have come in second. The CW player was very good, perfectly timing AoEs to just wreck groups. I had a bad play moment, too, as the DC went down against the bosses adds. All the DPS gor tunnel vision. We got our cleric back up, but, still, bad play. Have to kill adds first.

At 13, I brought Avalanche to Rank 2, and went 1/5 in Unstoppable Action. It ramps up AP recovery during Unstopable.

I am very much enjoying that all the Daily's for GWF are incredible. I'm not using whirlwind at the moment, but it's great. I use Slam in groups, as it has a huge AoE radius and is good at pulling pats when soloing. For solo, I use Avalanche, because, well, it kills groups dead in one attack.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like this thread, hope you enjoy the GWF Briarra. Here are some thoughts from a newly minted 60 GWF...
    Reaping Strike: I don't get this at all. It's a power up attack, that takes away movement, in a game that prizes movement. It seems out of place to me. I've used it, to try and get a feel for it, but I don't like it at this point. Maybe other GWF can chime in and tell me if it's good, or am I right and it sucks.

Firstly, you're thinking of Reaping Strike wrong. It doesn't reduce mobility, it gives you mobility. You'll notice that every other 'at will' attack locks you into an animation so that you can't move *at all*. Sure, you don't move fast with Reaping Strikes but if you circle around an enemy at your snails crawl you can still avoid cones while laying down the hurt with Reaping Strikes.

You can let go of your button and hit sprint at the same time, and Reaping Strike will still do it's damage while canceling the animation. I don't recommend doing this purely for the animation cancel, but it's nice that you can still get that big hit in while running for your life.

Secondly, the person telling you that Reaping Strikes doesn't charge faster from Unstoppable is flat out lying. Unstoppable lets you throw three Reaping Strikes back-to-back for ridiculous burst damage, especially if you're a destroyer and especially against a single target as a destroyer. Just saying. (Reaping Strikes is probably 'best' with a Destroyer build, as Sentinel and Instigator have their own at will buff's in their trees.)

That being said, Unstoppable and Reaping Strikes are buggy when used together on the first swing. I should make a forum post on that very topic, actually. Good luck!
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • omghealmeomghealme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good on ya for giving GWF a go. I am currently 36 and never had a problem with the class. Yes, it is a far stones throw from my CW of the same level power wise... but the class is not unplayable, and terrific fun. I will not talk about higher levels, and I wont concern myself with what people say until I am looking that horse in the mouth.

I enjoy reading this, keep up the good work.
    edited May 2013
    @spacejew: Thank you for the insights into Reaping Strike. Thinking about it, what you say makes sense. I've also noticed that sprint is better than most people think. I had the typical reaction to it myself: oh, how uncool, I can run. Whee. But, as I play more, I've noticed something. While not as flashy as the TR roll, the DC slide, or the CW blink, the GWF can control how far they evade. The evasion move is easily able to turn into a tactical one to engage far off mobs. It's growing on me.

@omghealme: Thank you! I plan on it. It's fun, and I'm getting good insights from other GWF players along the way.
  • xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Secondly, the person telling you that Reaping Strikes doesn't charge faster from Unstoppable is flat out lying.

That wasn't very nice. I was only trying to help.

I would like to thank fordraine and trickshaw for the info. I was basing it off the animation instead of the charge bar.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That wasn't very nice. I was only trying to help.

I would like to thank fordraine and trickshaw for the info. I was basing it off the animation instead of the charge bar.

True, my bad. Perhaps you were not being malicious. Everyone gets wrong info, especially on mostly new games. I'm sure I spread all kinds of lies ^_-
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • bigg4merbigg4mer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dont get me wrong when i say this GWF arnt too terrible. I had alot of fun playin mine and leveling him up but GWF are a jack of all trade and master of none when u hit 60 and get doing thw more difficult t2 dungeons EVERBODY wants just DC TR CW. I believe i play gwf quite well i kill all lil adds and try pull things off the squishier DCs and CWs but it dosnt make me very useful to the team for eg another CW with repel affects can take my place no problem and they even deal better singke target dps.