test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anybody else kind of underwhelmed by it all?

momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I played a little bit the morning of the diamond apocalypse. Then I quit and did other stuff, like real life. When I got a chance to check in that afternoon, the game servers were down and it took a few hours of that before I realized something was going on and checked the forums.

A day later we have people saying that they are going to quit the game, or that everything should be wiped, or that their life is ruined forever because people have stuff they don't have.

And... Am I the only person who basically doesn't care? I was barely using the diamonds<>zen exchange. I was barely using the auction house. Largely because prices for things were already completely ludicrous. There seems to be this massive outpouring of sadness and frustration and I feel completely untouched by it. All I lost was about an hour of gameplay, which I've already more than made up. How much of what's going on is a vocal minority of drama queens, or am I just missing the point here.

??
Post edited by momaw on

Comments

• Options
    kavegristlekavegristle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are not alone.
  • Options
    leapsfromshadowsleapsfromshadows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Me three!

Though I do admit I might be more attached to the game if I hadn't just discovered it a few days ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    palefire967palefire967 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ditto, here.
  • Options
    amandoxamandox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol yeah I'm silently by the sidelines waiting to see what'll happen. Don't get me wrong, I've invested time and money, but my care-o-meter isn't as high as the others. I do care about my money gone to waste but hey maybe things will turn out for the good, if not, I'll deal it with it other than shedding tears on the internet.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or if you're like me, you level to 15, then didn't play anymore because all you care about is the Foundry. ;)

I'm just glad the foundry content isn't rolled back with everything else. I certainly feel for those people so royally screwed over from it. Let them vent, it makes them feel better about it. And continue to enjoy what you do in Neverwinter.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    entalyanentalyan Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    There's always the possibility that the statement in the FAQ is just 100% correct:
    Early Sunday morning a very small group of players discovered and abused a game exploit within the Neverwinter Open Beta that affected the Auction House and Astral Diamonds.
    (emphasis mine)
  • Options
    banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    NOpe, add me to the list of 'frankly my dear, I don't give a ****"... I think I may have bought 1 thing off the Ah, at low level it simply doesnt pay off as you out use it so quick. Darned if I aint wrong, but seems that all the lil whiney babies may have been part of those exploiting the game and now want to cry over a small roll back. No matter, I'm still going to play and just make up my time from yersterday... Boy I hope I have the things I did buy from those purple chest!! If not, then I hope all my zen I bought was replaced....ah well wait and see..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • Options
    mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know. I try to play this game for the first time, reading through this forum during installation. The only thing I know for sure, after reading it is, that I won't ever spend ANY money on this game.

My conclusion is, from what I am reading, that the economy is ruined forever, with unknown consequences, the AH prizes are beyond good and evil, and they have a beta, that is no beta at all, because they were stupid enough to take real money from their customers, not able to wipe the slate clean.

Depending on the posts of the forum, they didn't fix critical bugs, that were long known, ignoring and deleting tickets. Hiding the bugs. I, as new player and ex-programmer, cannot trust companies, who do this for the sake of profit.

I hope, the figting system is fun. Nothing more,nothing less. For the rest I do not care.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is the people who paid real money for ZEN to turn into ADs so they could buy things who got totally stuffed. When the AD you purchased with real money are enormously devalued because of an exploit that Cryptic knew about since Closed Beta and was in another of their games previously, there is bound to be a fair bit of ill-will.
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »
    I don't know. I try to play this game for the first time, reading through this forum during installation. The only thing I know for sure, after reading it is, that I won't ever spend ANY money on this game.

My conclusion is, from what I am reading, that the economy is ruined forever, with unknown consequenxes, the AH prizes are beyond good and evil, and they have a beta, was is no beta at all, because they were stupid enough to take real money from their customers, not able to wipe the slate clean.

Depending on the posts of the foirum, they didn't fix critical bugs, that were long known, ignoring and deleting tickets. I, as new player an ex-programmer, cannot trust companies, who do this for the sake of profit.

I hope, the figting system is fun. Nothing more,nothing less. For the rest I do not care any longer.

Just remember, Friday none of these people were on the forums complaining about the economy XD Welcome to word of mouth.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    kavegristlekavegristle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    It is the people who paid real money for ZEN to turn into ADs so they could buy things who got totally stuffed. When the AD you purchased with real money are enormously devalued because of an exploit that Cryptic knew about since Closed Beta and was in another of their games previously, there is bound to be a fair bit of ill-will.

Don't think so. I spent $20 on Zen and have been playing for a couple of weeks. In my mind that $20 was a great entertainment value.
  • Options
    cluesclues Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Yep you are definitely not alone. I logged in after I knew what was going on, did some insignificant walking around, then logged off because I knew there would be a rollback and I didn't want to do something for it to disappear. To pass time I either watched crazy, angry people on the forums who didn't really think much or played something else. Hell I even went and watched Kitchen Nightmares with family.

I have a level 60 so it's not like I just started and don't care about the game. All people really needed to do was calm down and not be so demanding. There were people angry nothing was instantly done on a weekend and angry at forum moderators for not announcing decisions or giving answers that weren't even made yet on the matter. Pure stupid chaos in some cases. I understand people need to vent about losing money and stuff, but no one really cares if ___ is leaving and if 1 person doesn't get an entire server wipe they want to leave. Bleh.
  • Options
    palefire967palefire967 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »

My conclusion is, from what I am reading, that the economy is ruined forever, with unknown consequences, the AH prizes are beyond good and evil, and they have a beta, that is no beta at all, because they were stupid enough to take real money from their customers, not able to wipe the slate clean.

Depending on the posts of the forum, they didn't fix critical bugs, that were long known, ignoring and deleting tickets. Hiding the bugs. I, as new player and ex-programmer, cannot trust companies, who do this for the sake of profit.

I hope, the figting system is fun. Nothing more,nothing less. For the rest I do not care.

Don't believe everything you read. I guarantee you the temper tantrums and conspiracy theories polluting the forums right now don't reflect reality. Whatever the real story and outcome is from the exploits, the forums are not your ticket to truth. The screaming and crying will die down in a week or two and people will find something else to ***** about. I have no real concerns with spending money on the game if there is something I want. If I have fun, I support the game. That is all that matters.
  • Options
    alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    I played a little bit the morning of the diamond apocalypse. Then I quit and did other stuff, like real life. When I got a chance to check in that afternoon, the game servers were down and it took a few hours of that before I realized something was going on and checked the forums.

A day later we have people saying that they are going to quit the game, or that everything should be wiped, or that their life is ruined forever because people have stuff they don't have.

And... Am I the only person who basically doesn't care? I was barely using the diamonds<>zen exchange. I was barely using the auction house. Largely because prices for things were already completely ludicrous. There seems to be this massive outpouring of sadness and frustration and I feel completely untouched by it. All I lost was about an hour of gameplay, which I've already more than made up. How much of what's going on is a vocal minority of drama queens, or am I just missing the point here.

??

I share your feelings. I have nearly 3 million AD and have only bought 10 scrolls of identify from the vendor...

So, I have spent just a few AD and care even less about all the drama surrounding whatever exploits are fueling the forum outrage.

It's just a game...
  • Options
    pysceapyscea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm also pretty apathetic to the whole ordeal. I prefer to earn my gear and items while playing the game, and only use the AH as a last resort. I never felt like using the AH was necessary or even ideal in this game (unlike a few notable others in recent memory).

I'll continue to enjoy the things I enjoy the most about this game: the combat and overall gameplay. Fortunately, those two factors remain unchanged. :)
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I see all sides to it, I'll still play. But we know this and other things have been going on for far longer and I don't get why a company can't just be frank with us. It does bother me to an extent that original exploiters are probably still allowed in game and get to act like our virtual 1%'ers. And it does bother me that I don't think I'm being talked to straight by the company. But oh wells, not the first, nor the last. I just wish this industry could learn from itself, instead of repeating the same things over and over.

For me to feel right about this, is for them to follow up with additional details they are taking beyond the 7 hours and really putting the ban-hammer down. I have to think that is what any of us legit players want. Take out the trash.
  • Options
    brockwell009brockwell009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. Meh. I've spent money and really do not care about what happened yesterday. Was not effected by yesterdays down time. Got some chores done and a couple more hours of studying for my boards in. It is a video game and when it comes down to it these silly digital shiny objects mean very little in the big scheme of things.
  • Options
    ozziethecatozziethecat Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Newp. Not just you. Cryptic's downtime forced me to watch a hockey game and plan out some gardening. Oh no! The horrors!
  • Options
    merlinreynmerlinreyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    momaw wrote: »

??

You are not alone. I could care less about the exploit. I can still enjoy the game just as I did before; I lost a few hours of game play, so what?
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    All these calls for wipes and saying that the economy is ruined forever are just shortsighted kneejerk reactions.
  • Options
    jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are not alone. People who are angry often pretend to speak for more than just themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only thing that happened is that I was planning on buying some new Zen yesterday. But then THE CATASTROPHE happened, and now I think I'ld rather wait until the AH and exchanges are properly open again. I do want to see if the economy is as broken as people claim it is, or as fixed as the developers claim it is. This is only because I don't want to spend actual money if I can get the same items for ADs which might be nearly free (depending on how broken the economy really is). Other than that, I can't really be bothered. I haven't really used the AH and exchange. I go pewpew, which is what this game does a lot better than other MMO's.
  • Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Nope just companies so caught you in themselves and greed they forget about the past and how things can change you game in hours. Of course it helps the Americans don't care about anything except for what they are told to care about, blinded fools! Only one way to fix it and that is to start over!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cookjk wrote: »
    Nope just companies so caught you in themselves and greed they forget about the past and how things can change you game in hours. Of course it helps the Americans don't care about anything except for what they are told to care about, blinded fools! Only one way to fix it and that is to start over!

Did you just call for a wipe of the American people? O.o
    ;)
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see the exploiters banned (those from Sunday and those who've been working the system since launch), but I'm not going to quit or let it affect me. I don't buy stuff off the AH at this point anyway.

There are hordes of undead pouring out of Neverdeath graveyard and people are worried about money? I've got more important battles to fight.
  • Options
    blasph3m3blasph3m3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    36991392.jpg
    10qkinm.png
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    cookjk wrote: »

You're calling Americans fools while generalizing. Hilarious. Frankly, I think you're the fool for wanting to start everything from scratch. I do not want to be penalized for something someone else did. Selfish, sure, but that's how the world works.
  • Options
    adain003adain003 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that older and more mature gamers like me are kind of taking this in stride. I've invested quite a bit into this game already (monetarily speaking), and lost a purple enchant from a lockbox due to the exploits, but I'm not too concerned. Maybe the game will be better off in the long-run. I'm still enjoying it, and hoping that they can find the time to pay more attention to game mechanics like threat levels, etc. One of these days, I'll learn how to make quests in the Foundry :)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not directly impacted -- I'm mainly playing to see content and muck around with Foundry.

That said, I'm irritated that Cryptic's pattern of failure lead us to this point -- as a previous player of Champions Online and Star Trek Online, they have a LONG history of inattention to bugs and very poor bug reporting.

I'm bothered not because of this specific issue but what it generally suggests we can expect from them in the future.

But I still like the game, so.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    devocutdevocut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, put me in the underwhelmed group.

I really had no idea all these shenanigans were going on. Ok, I admit that when I play, I don’t even have local or say chat turned on (tells are on though) and I’m usually running around in my own little world. One day last week, I did notice a gold seller spam in my mailbox but didn’t think much of it.

Sunday, I noticed that I couldn’t post the junk I collected to the AH so I turned on local chat and all heck was breaking loose. Servers went down soon after so I played Star Trek most of the afternoon. No biggie.

Woke up this morning to my first ever server rollback. The damage was meh….a level and a couple pieces of missing junk.

I do feel for the people who are competing to be the best of the best in this game but down here in casual “play for fun” land, life hasn’t changed much.