test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anybody else kind of underwhelmed by it all?

2»

Comments

• voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heh, I felt this way in earlier beta.

The game has little to do with D&D.

The character development is simplistic. Minimal skills to learn, minimal to use at once, simplistic feats, simplistic classes, 1 weapon per class.

Character customization and gear appearances are weak. I can barely tell when my character's armor changes and most of it doesn't look that good.

Content is repetitive - although the foundry stuff is often far more interesting and well done it can only carry a weak game so far.

Fake open beta (no char wipe and live cash shop = release - the "open beta" tag is just an excuse for the problems and incomplete stuff).

Tons of people already 60 and pushing endgame within a week - during open beta - is a joke. The fact that some of those people exploited to 60 and didn't get punished is sad.

Horrible player economy (just like GW2) where the billions of loot drops are worth nothing and the only things with value are the ultra rare drops or items people buy for cash via cash shop and sell in game. Dunno why people are worried about AD exploits when AD is almost as useless as gold in the game. Yeah, you can trade AD for zen, if people are selling. No idea why anyone would ever buy AD for zen when AD are nearly useless. I'm convinced that F2P leverages the fact that so many MMORPG players are just generally stupid.

Crafting sucks. You either need to be active 24/7 via gateway, which is something I don't like anyways because I feel like you should login and play games, not remotely manipulate part of the game thru your phone. Or you need to get lucky with boosters via the cash shop.

Facilitated cheating - just like GW2 - you can pay cash for zen, and trade zen for AD, which is basically just like "buying gold" in other games. Ie, it's cheating that's facilitated by the host company who makes money off the sale and takes a percent of the exchange transactions for good measure. (This is something in GW2 that I thought was neato at first - mixing cash shop currency with player trading - thought it would add to player economy - but ultimately it's just the company providing the cheating instead of a 3rd party. ANet ruthlessly pursues 3rd party sellers in their game - not for the integrity of the game, but to eliminate competition).

Grouping is weak. It's not as bad as GW2, which is like a group of 5 soloists sharing a chat channel and instance. But it's pretty close. It lacks the sophistication of typical class/role-based grouping.

The game can be fun, I like the content, I especially like the better foundry content. It's not a game I could see myself playing for any length of time, because like most new MMOs it's designed for soloists, has slapped on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> PvP, and the grouping is either weak or there's not enough of it. For this game, it's weak. Grouping just isn't that remarkable.
  • thezarzethezarze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 to the OP, i just sold 2 things on the AH worth 10kAD each in 3 weeks.Havent bought zen neither, dont really feel the need or urge to buy stuff with AD except sometimes identification scrolls which i do while im questing.So i dont care about AD/zen rate, AH or whatever either.
  • arteniusartenius Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty I have yet to have even had a serious look at the AH. I'm not in this for some medieval buy and sell, I could care less about that. End of the day I shut off the PC and the game disappears until I launch it again. I haven't invested a dime in the game, nor would I for a F2P game - regardless of whether it was in full release or not. I personally can't see any of the fluff they offer as being needed to enjoy the game.

Could I use more bank slots? Sure, but I'm not going to freak out if I don't have em. More character slots? Nope, two's fine at this point.

Simply put: I'll play a game until I'm no longer interested in it. Once Neverwinter no longer holds my interest, I'll move on. The AH/AD 'scandal' means nada to me.
  • khandar21khandar21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel the same as OP