test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one not being 'chicken little' about this?

mestericmesteric Member Posts: 42
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm not sure the reason for such animosity, or outrage here.

I see:
"If there is a rollback, I'm quitting"
"If there isn't a rollback, I'm quitting"
"If there is a wipe, I'm quitting"
"If there isn't a wipe, I'm quitting"

So basically, "if you do, or don't, do anything some people are taking their ball and going home"

I've spend around $100 so far on the game, no where near as much as others...but...its a game. Be it I spent $1 or $1000 it's listed as being in open beta.
Regardless if it really is or just a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> launch labeled one..its implied as such..so its implied "Spend all the money you wish, we are calling it beta, you may lose everything, or not a single item..who knows its beta"

I spent my money with that in mind. Knowing that I could login one day and get nothing more than a simple "character wipe last night..start over" message.
Also People screaming about needing realtime customer feedback about the status of the fix, while at the same time screaming about what the fix is and disliking it.

It astounds me that the people I work with daily, that do publishing, and lively hood and job depends on the paper going out in the morning, are LESS outraged, impatient, hostile, pushy, arrogant, and nervous when something goes wrong and waiting on a rush fix from me at 4am to meet deadline in an emergency.
Than the people in an MMO as players when something pops up as needing downtown and looking into for something that is a hobby to them.

I'm in NO way defending the company, but more speaking about the playerbase.
What happened to MMOs? When did its playerbase turn into whiny, kicking and screaming, demanding zealots over things such as 'downtime'?

Even when I was in my early 20's and UO, NC, or EQ was having downtime, or a major "we need to fix this there may be a wipe" came around in the beta..I didn't cause this much of a "OMG!!! YOU SUX DEVS! I R GOING TO PLAY A NEW GAME!!!"

Maybe its my age, and looking back when MMO's wasn't what they are now in my 20's and 30's..where playerbases was different. Where they cared about the game, and its success. And not what venom they can throw at it, and threats of disloyalty to venture to another competitor, because their game of choice didn't please them for a few hours.

I saw UO and EQ down for days on end in beta to fix "huge issues" to only come back to a wipe after it, Sure there was the random "when its it coming back up?" posts...but you know what we did while we waited? Other things...there is other things out there you can do BESIDES staring at a monitor in anger.
Now a days kids/teens/young adults are so glued to their PC as 'the' form of entertainment, that if it goes down, they freak out..and feel personally damaged by whatever happens in a fake world, full of pixel people, that doesn't exist.

So did the company handle the bug reports badly? Yes. Did they not fix things in time? Yes. Could they have done better? Yes
But did the majority of players seem to go overly melodramatic about what happened? Yes also.

These are my 2 cents, take them as you will.
Many will disagree with me. And many will will have a difference of thoughts on the subject. Why they are opinions.. peoples differ.
Post edited by mesteric on

Comments

• weisskreuz421weisskreuz421 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey blo0dy farktards, what time are the forking servers coming back up.
    Fooking hell, do your fooking job pigs.
    You incompetent pigs disgust me.
    The person who hired you is a da177n <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Fokking pigs; that's what ye are.
    Never seen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as bad as you.
    Fix the servers, eat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> n die already.
    Forking mud faced idi0tic m0rons.
    Seriously fokk you.
    Do you forking know how long was the downtime.
    Forksh1t bustards! Every single one of you.
    Especially if a bl0ody fooking basturd deletes this.
    Sw1nes. You should not eat drink nor sleep till this is fixed and you are still taking your own bl0ody sweet time.
    Forking piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that's beneath a sw1ne.

It's so awesome I get to repost this twice in a row.
  • ishaan2000ishaan2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please relax.
  • mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Picture the fat guy in the episode of Southpark "Make love, not Warcraft", and you have a pretty good image of the majority of the complainers and drama queens blowing it all way out of proportion....... they take it so seriously and get so bent out of shape, while the rest of us simply want to play.
  • ishaan2000ishaan2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrz1mmers wrote: »
    Picture the fat guy in the episode of Southpark "Make love, not Warcraft", and you have a pretty good image of the majority of the complainers and drama queens blowing it all way out of proportion....... they take it so seriously and get so bent out of shape, while the rest of us simply want to play.

My thoughts exactly. All I ask for is an ETA on when the servers will be back up. That's all I can ask for. :(
  • newtype88newtype88 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup, how miserable does your life have to be to whine over a FREE GAME. Even IF you spent 20-50 bucks on it, it's not that much money and the game is still ****ing free. Not only that, the game is undeniably fun and has a lot of potential; and acting like little whiny pussies isn't exactly helping the dev's. Immature, ungrateful, self indulged, pathetic; funny.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey blo0dy farktards, what time are the forking servers coming back up.
    Fooking hell, do your fooking job pigs.
    You incompetent pigs disgust me.
    The person who hired you is a da177n <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Fokking pigs; that's what ye are.
    Never seen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as bad as you.
    Fix the servers, eat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> n die already.
    Forking mud faced idi0tic m0rons.
    Seriously fokk you.
    Do you forking know how long was the downtime.
    Forksh1t bustards! Every single one of you.
    Especially if a bl0ody fooking basturd deletes this.
    Sw1nes. You should not eat drink nor sleep till this is fixed and you are still taking your own bl0ody sweet time.
    Forking piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that's beneath a sw1ne.

You need a some Dean Martin on the radio a cup of tea and a biscuit. You need to chill out.
  • redscare82redscare82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    You're not the only one. The silent majority are just hanging out waiting for a chance to play some more.
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only reason I am here is because I was specifically told there wouldn't be any wipes.

Don't you find it somewhat annoying that it's 2013 and we're still in the same boat as we were a decade ago? Seems when an MMO launch isn't a complete disaster, it's an exception.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    I enjoyed the game yesterday, I'll enjoy the game today.

I'm happy they took actions by doing a small rollback and giving us a slight compensation. They kept us posted well enough on twitter/facebook and eventually the forums.
  • bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mesteric wrote: »
    It astounds me that the people I work with daily, that do publishing, and lively hood and job depends on the paper going out in the morning, are LESS outraged, impatient, hostile, pushy, arrogant, and nervous when something goes wrong and waiting on a rush fix from me at 4am to meet deadline in an emergency.

This is because people who ever worked in an environment where emergencies come up and cause significant disruptions know that screaming will not help anyone, especially the people trying to fix it. They know that **** happens and sometimes it is due to someone else <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up and sometimes it's you, not the end of the world. Correct asap and learn from the mistakes.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »
    The only reason I am here is because I was specifically told there wouldn't be any wipes.

Don't you find it somewhat annoying that it's 2013 and we're still in the same boat as we were a decade ago? Seems when an MMO launch isn't a complete disaster, it's an exception.

They already said they will not wipe due to this.

Rollbacks aren't wipes.
  • spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to say you are not alone in this vast sea full of Rage and what seems to be Teenage Hormones going mad. I too remember a time of playing MMO's and they're were wipes due to MAJOR issues, but then again I played mostly private servers and leveling up and gathering gear was a lot easier on them then your standard MMO.

I've come to a realization tho, I've been to a lot of Free-To-Play servers and its pretty much a lot of the same thing just with a different cardboard cut out it seems.

-People Trying to Cheat/Abuse the System
    -People Acting like Children
    -People lacking Patience
    -People lacking Respect

You can find that most of the players in any F2P MMO are gonna be like this, yes there are people like this in Subscriptions based games like WoW and such, but not so much and those kinds of MMOs have a lot of servers dedicated to 1 or 2 things that have a common ground so people get along a bit more.

Anyway to my point. I see where you are coming from, and it saddens me that this is the newer generation of Online Gaming, that these so called players will be running among us trying to find new ways on "How can we break this game today?" while me, you, and the few among us that decided to stay after this just want to have fun and enjoy the game and see it grow.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • methodforumsmethodforums Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like i said in other forums.
    After all this the people that continue to play the game on whatever happens are the people that are worth playing with in game.
    if they want to quit then go ahead.
    Better playing with people that enjoy the game inside and out over people that go ON and OFF the game when some patch note they dont like happens
  • sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013

Because you'll most likely stumble on exploits and cheats with a bigger community. It's no use to cheat in closed beta, won't be any money gained.
    edited May 2013

This has little to do with the year. Software is hard and it's not really getting easier. Launching a perfect product is impossible. Literally impossible. There *will* be bugs.
    Now, some of the stuff I see is most likely caused by carelessness and rushed conditions at the studio...but such is the industry.
  • methodforumsmethodforums Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spikespire wrote: »
    I would like to say you are not alone in this vast sea full of Rage and what seems to be Teenage Hormones going mad. I too remember a time of playing MMO's and they're were wipes due to MAJOR issues, but then again I played mostly private servers and leveling up and gathering gear was a lot easier on them then your standard MMO.

I've come to a realization tho, I've been to a lot of Free-To-Play servers and its pretty much a lot of the same thing just with a different cardboard cut out it seems.

-People Trying to Cheat/Abuse the System
    -People Acting like Children
    -People lacking Patience
    -People lacking Respect

You can find that most of the players in any F2P MMO are gonna be like this, yes there are people like this in Subscriptions based games like WoW and such, but not so much and those kinds of MMOs have a lot of servers dedicated to 1 or 2 things that have a common ground so people get along a bit more.

Anyway to my point. I see where you are coming from, and it saddens me that this is the newer generation of Online Gaming, that these so called players will be running among us trying to find new ways on "How can we break this game today?" while me, you, and the few among us that decided to stay after this just want to have fun and enjoy the game and see it grow.

These Type ^ of people and the others out there need to make 1 guild together and have fun with neverwinter :) Sign me up
  • sporadicussporadicus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wow. Yeeeeeeah. . . . That's like a town telling its population that there has never been a crime committed in its community. The smartest thing some games can do is perform a rollback. A ROLLBACK, by the way, and not a wipe.

A wipe is where they would start your character from day 1 (if they're gracious) with his beginner gear. A rollback is where they take the events of a certain time period and erase them. Examples:

Wipe: "Let's deprogram them back into the stone age."
    Rollback: "Let's deprogram them enough to make them walk an extra mile to get to the destination."
  • mestericmesteric Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013

Don't you find it somewhat annoying that it's 2013 and we're still in the same boat as we were a decade ago? Seems like almost every MMO launch is a complete disaster.

The player base turns it into a disaster is part of the problem.
    While I agree that its a bit annoying the same problem plague launches now that did when the first MMO's came out..but it programming. its NEVER flawless, even after many many bugfixes.
    If it was, I would be out of a job too..lol 3/4 of my work is fixing things in software my company made 14 years ago.
    The only reason they are disasters now, is partially the way the players act like teens that's been told they are grounded from going to the party this weekend, when something goes wrong in the game.

OU or EQ had downtime and a unscheduled wipe? people fussed a bit, asked why..and played on. Not this quasi-teen angst reaction of "I hate you, I hate them, I hate everything, you suck, and your not my real dad you cant tell me what to do!! now take me to that party!!!" type over reaction.

But rough launches and beta's have been the 'status quo' for MMO's for this long, if anything, it should be expected then. Not taken and reacted to as if its the first time in mmo history. its not the first ,and its not the last. But with EACH MMO, as its been since a decade ago. Everytime its happens the players go off the deep end like its the "fail of the century in gaming"
    The day an MMO can go from beta to post launch WITHOUT any problems will be the day I'm speechless, and totally blown away that it DIDN'T happen. :)
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mesteric wrote: »

It astounds me that this astounds you. People are generally more passionate about their interests than their obligations. Also, people posting their outrage here are more akin to customers than employees.

It is unreasonable to expect those using a service, that have a variety of backgrounds, to conduct themselves in the same manner as employees paid for their services, that are often likely to have a mostly professional background.
  • meredia35meredia35 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    These Type ^ of people and the others out there need to make 1 guild together and have fun with neverwinter :) Sign me up

I'm somewhat infatuated with the two of them myself. I being a young lad was raised by the same sort of man on MMOs. I've come to value them as they are, faults or no faults. As anyone who develops a relationship with a person would. It's this live-and-let-live these two give off that make me proud to be the offspring of their generation.
  • llshackrallllshackrall Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ure totaly right. the only thing im negative tho is all this forumlooking **** to get an idea of how loong the servers will stay down. it cant be that hard to write, SERVERS DOWN, DONT KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE UPP AGEN BUT WE ARE WORKING ON THE PROBLEM on the logginscreen
  • spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I am actually considering making a guild to just collect socially acceptable people just to have fun. Maybe during my time off I can work on this, but lets not distract from the OP shall we?
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • mestericmesteric Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    It astounds me that this astounds you. People are generally more passionate about their interests than their obligations. Also, people posting their outrage here are more akin to customers than employees.

It is unreasonable to expect those using a service, that have a variety of backgrounds, to conduct themselves in the same manner as employees paid for their services, that are often likely to have a mostly professional background.

No wasn't expecting that. But such venom and animosity over such a simple thing seems a bit overly done.
    I fully expect some to be frustrated..but like the 2nd post in this topic shows (if it isnt deleted). Some of its just way overboard and theatrical for no reason other than misplaced, or overly attached stigmata to a simple passive hobby :)

I mean Im literally on my PC about 18 hours a day between work, and my gaming addictions. But even with gaming/pc/coding being my only hobbies. I cant see reacting to a game having a rollback of a few hours, and a day of downtime as a "why don't you just lay me down and stab me in the testicles with a dinner fork all day while your at it, its just as bad, and the same thing!"
  • komischeskomisches Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is because people who ever worked in an environment where emergencies come up and cause significant disruptions know that screaming will not help anyone, especially the people trying to fix it. They know that **** happens and sometimes it is due to someone else <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up and sometimes it's you, not the end of the world. Correct asap and learn from the mistakes.
    My boss needs to learn this better. She throws stuff around the kitchen and storms out the front too often for my liking :P
  • vindlethvindleth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It never seizes to amaze me how there can be so much hate and bashing at something that is free and not to mention it is a game, it should be fun. I'm guessing everyone forgot about single player games when you needed to load some old save file.

Just bunch of spoiled brats rambling about.
  • avalyssiaavalyssia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No you're not the only one, but the drama is rather entertaining to watch from a distance.

If I'm no longer having fun with the game I'll silently move on - is it odd of me to feel embarrassed for those who make rage quit threads? I've spent money on this game to buy mounts, companions and dye etc and they've made me feel happy inside, so no, if I got bored tomorrow I wouldn't regret having spent my money. The economy doesn't seem like such a big deal to me either, but that's coming from someone who refuses to buy epics.
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »

Passion is not measured by how loudly you scream.
    I work with a lot of passionate people and I've never seen anyone freak out over a bug that was introduced to Prod. People are called in, bugs are fixed, the next morning there's a Post Mortem sent to all engineers detailing the issue, the fix and the lessons learned.